OP
OP
freetacos

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
So pumped this thread is here. Been engrossed in NBA but can't wit to dig in more.

How does LP for the WNBA work in terms of platforms? I love NBA LP on Youtube since it's baked in. It's on option there but is there any downside/preferred platform?
I've had it on YoutubeTV the past few years and it's been almost as seamless as the MNBA version. A few of these preseason games were tricky to find (I had to button through a few different menus) but that gets resolved in the regular season. As far as I know, that's the easiest platform

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's been part of the problem, even "sports nuts" have not been aware of the awesome rivalries in the wnba

Last few years has been Aces vs. Storm/Stewie/the league. If you're a Storm fan I'm sure you know the Storm beat the Aces in 2020 for the title, then the Aces beat the Storm in 2022 en route to their first title. Then last year, both Stewie, and Jonquel Jones (who was on the Sun when the Aces beat them in 2022 as well) joined the Liberty and the Aces proceeded to beat them in the finals. Jonquel Jones lost to the Aces in the championship in back to back years for 2 different teams which is wild.

Before that, the biggest rivalry of the 2010s was definitely the Minnesota Lynx vs the Phoenix Mercury. They met in the playoffs *5 times in 6 years* from 2011 to 2016. It was constantly two legends Diana Taurasi vs. Maya Moore squaring off year after year

There have been SO many rivalries and storylines in the wnba. I'm glad more people are tuning in and I hope the wnba can capitalize on it. I just hope people don't pretend Clark/Reese introduced rivalries to the league. The entertainment has been there, the audience hasnt

Ok I feel better because apparently all the major rivalries were the Storm ones I already knew about :D :D

Caitlin Clark games ticket prices are blowing up man… she's going to single handily save the fledgling WNBA… absolutely crazy.

Heck, Angel Reese was at the freaking Met Gala ffs. It's definitely having a moment and with broadcasting sports as whole undergoing a massive shift - now is their chance to take advantage of the new opportunities.

If anyone wanted to know what it would have been like to have modern social media when Magic / Bird or Jordan or LeBron / Curry became stars...this is it. (The NBA Finals were shown on *tape delay* prior to Magic / Bird coming to the league)

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I've had it on YoutubeTV the past few years and it's been almost as seamless as the MNBA version. A few of these preseason games were tricky to find (I had to button through a few different menus) but that gets resolved in the regular season. As far as I know, that's the easiest platform

Sounds good, thanks.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
These roster cuts are expected but still brutal. Sparks posted something about them doing a faux graduation for their third round pick from usc.

Missed her usc graduation to be with the team and a day later she got cut. 😐

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Aces going to three-peat this season.

Going to need to find a way to see more of their games in person though.

OP
OP
freetacos

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
These roster cuts are expected but still brutal. Sparks posted something about them doing a faux graduation for their third round pick from usc.

Missed her usc graduation to be with the team and a day later she got cut. 😐
Yeah wnba draft pick cuts are wild. Multiple first-round picks end up getting cut most years. It's wild. No clearer sign that expansion is needed

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
GM_JqQRXQAA-84z

Feb 9, 2024
Pretty excited to see Clark's debut. Don't see myself seeing every game but will be interested to see how Clark and Reese fare in their first season.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks, if I could add a few:
  • Steve Jones and Nekias Duncan - hosts of the Dunker Spot podcast. They're primarily NBA writers and analysts, so until the NBA ends you might see limited WNBA coverage, but they're not only two of the brightest basketball analysts I follow, they're also some of the limited pundits that cover the league from an xs and os perspective and give the league and players the respect, thoughtfulness, and analysis it deserves
  • Dano Mataya - There is admittedly a sports betting angle to a lot of his account if that's not your thing, but he's a fervent fan and analyst that I appreciate - similar story with Calvin Wetzel

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Going to try to watch tonight's games on Disney+ to see if there's a difference in streaming quality compared to YouTube TV

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching a regular season WNBA game and I am hyped.

What a time to be alive

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Watching on ESPN+, looks like a good game so far!

I've never watched a WNBA game but I'm going to try and follow some this year. Not necessarily a Caitlin Clark fan, just want to start supporting womens' sports more, but I'll just watch some games and see who I might want to follow. My parents do live in Indiana so if I do end up following them it's possible I might be able to catch a game live someday.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rough start for Clark. Taking the under at 20.5 points is easy money.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It's crazy seeing the disparity in the money that goes into NBA games vs the WNBA. T he court in Connecticut looks like they've also been using it for roller hockey for ten years. Someone falls down and they send someone out with a towel to clean it up instead of the sponge on a stick the NBA uses. Etc.

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
It's crazy seeing the disparity in the money that goes into NBA games vs the WNBA. T he court in Connecticut looks like they've also been using it for roller hockey for ten years. Someone falls down and they send someone out with a towel to clean it up instead of the sponge on a stick the NBA uses. Etc.
You're not wrong about the court condition lol

But here's hoping things can change

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Ying Yang Twins in the background haha