• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So there is no proof of delivery needed for the driver, no signature, nothing? Leaving it in front of the house counts as delivered? What if you come home and the package is gone? I'd be scared to order something expensive.

I waited at home all day for my iPhone X to be delivered. The UPS guy left it on the doorstep, didn't knock, didn't ring the doorbell, and didn't even mark it as delivered. I just happened to notice it was there when I went out front to get something from my car. $1000 just sitting on my doorstep, in a marked T-Mobile box.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
So much risk for a dang package..

Is it worth getting possibly knifed over that crap??

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people are defending the thief. Package thieves ae usually day to day hustlers who resell this shit on Ebay, or Graigslist. I know because I've got a lot of Hustlers in my family who've done the same, but have suceeded. But they'll get caught. For the little shit, and big business scams.

Last edited:

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decent amount of people pretending to care about thieve's feelings. Dump her ass in jail for 5 months to teach a lesson.

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
So much risk for a dang package..

Is it worth getting possibly knifed over that crap??

The big "crime spree" that tends to happen in my country ass neighborhood is thieves driving around opening unlocked cars and taking what's in the coin tray.

Racking up 20 counts of burglary for a nights work where they earn $6.43 cents in nickels and pennies. Stealing packages on the 5% chance you'll score an MacBook or iPhone is like oceans 11 in comparison

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
The big "crime spree" that tends to happen in my country ass neighborhood is thieves driving around opening unlocked cars and taking what's in the coin tray.

Racking up 20 counts of burglary for a nights work where they earn $6.43 cents in nickels and pennies. Stealing packages on the 5% chance you'll score an MacBook or iPhone is like oceans 11 in comparison

I mean it on the side of the home owner, why run a thief down in this day and age when everyone is possibly packing?>

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
So what? Because it might be replaced that makes theft ok? You do understand this type of theft raises the cost of things for everybody that's not a thief? And having your stuff stolen is very aggravating?
whats more annoying

Ordering a thing and getting it delivered and then now you have it and you are totally done with the transaction

or

Ordering a thing and it gets delivered but you dont have it and you have something to deal with now
Oh yes, that's just as simple as having the thing you asked for delivered unstolen and undamaged.

wtf
Why do you think I'm saying theft is ok? I'm just saying the it seems like an overreaction when sorting a replacement is usually a two minute email to amazon. Yes it's a minor inconvenience, but personally I'd prefer that to having to go down to the sorting office on my day off or on my lunch break.

Saro

Oct 25, 2017
It apparently happens a lot more often then one would think. And then sometimes they don't even drop off the package but mark the tracking # as delivered.

Lasership is notorious for doing that crap. You wouldn't know if your package arrived at all when they ship things. They don't even ring the doorbell for packages worth over $600...

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is absolute proof of Fascism gripping America. Even the "good people" cheer on psychotic violence in the name of Glorious Consumerism.

wtf is this? It's now fascism when people protect their property? Where is the psychotic violence on display in this video? Did we watch the same thing?

She performed a citizen's arrest while using reasonable force, this is legal.

"Glorious Consumerism"....If some asshole was trying to steal my property, something I worked hard to obtain, I'm going to utilize my powers of arrest and hold them down until the authorities arrive.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me of that thread on Gaf about the one Canadian house, lived in by the badass, who's cameras caught multiple car accidents, robbery attempts, crazy animals and said owner running out of his house to confront crime practically every day. Someone please link me to it I can find it

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wtf is this? It's now fascism when people protect their property? Where is the psychotic violence on display in this video? Did we watch the same thing?

She performed a citizen's arrest while using reasonable force, this is legal.

"Glorious Consumerism"....If some asshole was trying to steal my property, something I worked hard to obtain, I'm going to utilize my powers of arrest and hold them down until the authorities arrive.
The fascism is the cheering on of violence in this thread. The modern day bread and circuses if you will--the joy in watching brutality, and being a slave to such savage desires.

I'm not defending the thief--only lamenting that people are cheering on violence and relishing for more blood. Human beings really are barely better than animals, it seems.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fascism is the cheering on of violence in this thread. The modern day bread and circuses if you will--the joy in watching brutality, and being a slave to such savage desires.

I'm not defending the thief--only lamenting that people are cheering on violence and relishing for more blood. Human beings really are barely better than animals, it seems.
I don't think you know what fascism is.

Good job on trying (and failing spectacularly miserably) at sounding superior or smart though.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder too. Scum is scum.

You think petty theft and being a militant bigot are equally bad?

I don't know if SmarmySmurf is just trolling or not, but if he isn't, that is the stupidest thing I've read on ERA so far. A criminal shouldn't be punished for his or her crime, because that would be revenge.

I'm so glad this site has an ignore feature.

I didn't say that, and bye bitch.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good. It's hilarious how she tried to play victim as soon as she got caught. What a scumbag.
This thread is absolute proof of Fascism gripping America. Even the "good people" cheer on psychotic violence in the name of Glorious Consumerism.
Haha you people are beyond a parody of yourselves at this point.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I caught someone stealing my yard tools once. It wasn't pretty. If you had asked me beforehand how I would react to finding a thief in my yard, I'd have given you a different asnwer than how I actually reacted. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. I've also crept outside in my yard at night, in my skivvies to confront "burglars" (raccoons almost every time) with knives and hammers and baseball bats. Folks saying they'd be calm and try to reason with the person are either delusional or don't know what they'd really do.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think I'm saying theft is ok? I'm just saying the it seems like an overreaction when sorting a replacement is usually a two minute email to amazon. Yes it's a minor inconvenience, but personally I'd prefer that to having to go down to the sorting office on my day off or on my lunch break.

Still seems dumb to me, and underplaying the consequences of theft.

Not sure where you're from, but in the UK if the driver cannot leave it securely then they take it back to the sorting office, but you can just reschedule a delivery online.

I caught someone stealing my yard tools once. It wasn't pretty. If you had asked me beforehand how I would react to finding a thief in my yard, I'd have given you a different asnwer than how I actually reacted. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. I've also crept outside in my yard at night, in my skivvies to confront "burglars" (raccoons almost every time) with knives and hammers and baseball bats. Folks saying they'd be calm and try to reason with the person are either delusional or don't know what they'd really do.

That hot af image aside, absolutely. Might as well suggest offering them a cup of tea and some career advice as well.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the laugh. This was good.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't know if SmarmySmurf is just trolling or not, but if he isn't, that is the stupidest thing I've read on ERA so far. A criminal shouldn't be punished for his or her crime, because that would be revenge.

I'm so glad this site has an ignore feature.

You think petty theft and being a militant bigot are equally bad?

I didn't say that, and bye bitch.

Let's be adults here, and try to refrain from publically announcing that you are ignoring someone, or responding with childish retorts when you are ignored.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You folks are so quick to condemn and not so quick to consider the actual mechanics of how these outcomes occur. This is an actual problem with the way our society operates, not just a single individual's failure to somehow magically reform her own brain.

How is a lack of self reflection and or the unwillingness to change not a mechanism here? Because it doesn't fit in with your perspective and or contradicts your whole "society is a fault" argument? Self change isn't a spell one casts on their selves to change, it's a long and often time difficult process that requires dedication and self awareness to do so. You said earlier that you aren't defending her but it's clear that you are. You went out of your way to make the thief the victim here and you are arguing the complete removal of responsibility from her and placing the blame onto forum users, society and her environmental/genetic make up.

You're absolving her of accountability and you're shaming other posters because they sympathize with the nanny and not the thief.

You seem to think that the number of repeat offenses matters here. It does not. It's completely irrelevant. And who "wants" to be constantly in and out of the prison system like this? Who "wants" to be addicted to drugs, or suffer the compulsion to steal things for the sake of said drugs? These are accidents, symptoms of a societal failure to prevent her condition, not personal failings.

The repeat offenses does matter, because it's an indication of repeating behaviour patterns and can indicate her MO. It's extremely important informative when you're analyzing her case and trying to determine why she does the things she does and how to proceed forward with rehab. It's could also provide an indication of a lack of self growth and reflection (that you adamantly deny), a problem with the system or both. No therapy group, no social program can force the individual to have the will/need/want/change to do so. When the tools are provided but the the person refuses to use them, who's fault is that? That is on them and that is the reality.

No man is an island. No one creates their own self. Someone has to change them. It's a collective effort and the only way to make it happen in a positive direction is to work together.

This is horseshit and painting with an incredibly board brush. You ask me to take a look in the mirror and reflect if it's X and Y that is responsible for my standing in life, and when I tell you it isn't, you proceed to tell me I'm wrong because it doesn't coincide with your argument.

Aspects of my genetics and my environments may have helped shape me but at the end of the day, when faced with a critical life altering choice, ultimately I am responsible for the choice I make in response to that situation.

"We could have all end up as criminals" or whatever you said in another post. This is true, especially for me, because had I not decided to make changes to my life, reflect and better myself I would have been on a much darker path. This wasn't because of my genetics and it wasn't my environment/family/media/friends, it was because I wanted to change so I could better myself. I realize this is anecdotal, but when you pose the hypothetical that "we could all have been criminals", that hypothetical is very real to me and that was my experience.

So please, don't sit there and tell me I'm not responsible for my choices in life. It's insulting and destroys both the accomplishments that I've earned for myself and denies me of the failures I had to endure that strengthened my resolve to better myself.

Last edited:

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
This thread truly is amazing.

On the totem pole of criminality petty thievery is near the bottom rung, right above "shoplifting" and "jaywalking" and below "robbery" and "mugging". And yet even with it being so relatively benign, so many people find it trivial to completely write her off as a lost cause.

It drives me bonkers.

This is on top of her obviously being a victim of drug abuse (and let me be clear: all drug abusers are victims) in need of rehabilitation, and yet somehow people are using that as an excuse to write her off further? The hell is that? Reminds me of people saying shit like "just stop thinking bad thoughts!" and other similarly toothless responses to people in the throes of clinical depression or other mental illnesses that you can't simply "will" away. Yes, she committed a crime, but so fucking what? If she got proper treatment she would not have committed the crime in the first place!

Ugh, my head hurts. I can't keep up with this. I just can't.

I guess I'll just leave this here again. Maybe some folks can get something out of it. Gods know I don't have the patience to keep coming in here to read the rampant callousness on display over and over again.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This user was warned for backseat moderating.
Folks saying they'd be calm and try to reason with the person are either delusional or don't know what they'd really do.

I've been talking from experience, so no. Nice, mature assumptions though.

Let's be adults here, and try to refrain from publically announcing that you are ignoring someone, or responding with childish retorts when you are ignored.

All the shitposting and bad-faith posts itt and this is what you speak up about?

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

On the totem pole of criminality petty thievery is near the bottom rung, right above "shoplifting" and "jaywalking" and below "robbery" and "mugging". And yet even with it being so relatively benign, so many people find it trivial to completely write her off as a lost cause.

It drives me bonkers.

This is on top of her obviously being a victim of drug abuse (and let me be clear: all drug abusers are victims) in need of rehabilitation, and yet somehow people are using that as an excuse to write her off further? The hell is that? Reminds me of people saying shit like "just stop thinking bad thoughts!" and other similarly toothless responses to people in the throes of clinical depression or other mental illnesses that you can't simply "will" away. Yes, she committed a crime, but so fucking what? If she got proper treatment she would not have committed the crime in the first place!

I guess I'll just leave this here again. Maybe some folks can get something out of it. Gods know I don't have the patience to keep coming in here to read the rampant callousness on display over and over again.

Best post itt.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I guess we should just absolve all theft then, and not take into account the people who work hard for what they can own and the value it has for them.

Y'know what hurts my head? When people like you refuse to acknowledge that perhaps there's more to the issue here than just society's failings. It also hurts my head when you ask me a question about what makes me who I am, and what defines my choices in life, and when I tell you, I'm wrong when my answer doesn't conform to your argument.

Thanks for skipping out.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure the house with security cameras and a fucking nanny were going to break the bank if they didn't recover this package.

Okay, Robin Hood.

It drives me bonkers.

So what, as in, she committed a crime and is taking someone's property. It could be a package of baby stuff, an heirloom of importance, or an expensive TV you spent your hard-earned money on. It's wrong. I'm not going to call her the scum of the Earth and not take into consideration possible societal issues that could have put her in that position to steal, but she is still a degenerate that needs to be detained, and I'm all for someone using the appropriate force necessary to see to that. The nanny was in the right, and I applaud her for her actions.

Now ideally, I'd agree that detainment should lead to rehabilitation for her own good to better herself, not lock her away as a lost cause. However, that is a much greater issue with the American prison system. It's unfortunate it's like that, but alternatively, I still do not think it's right to let criminals run a muck, even thieves. The attitude of "so what" isn't the answer either.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Drives me fucking nuts how often I'll go out to the store or something and find a package at my doorstep that nobody bothered to ring for. USPS always rings but UPS never, ever does.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
leaving packages unattended outside the door seems about as anachronistic as not having universal health-care or people using checks for payments in 2017

UPS and Fedex will be glad to let you pick up the parcel at the distribution center, but for me that's about 45 minute drive from my house, so accounting for any traffic and such I'd need to have 2 extra hours to go get my package.

They also offer paid services where you can pay an extra $5 or something to have the package delivered to spots around the city to make it more convenient. I think UPS lets customers pay an annual membership of like $60 and they get that service "free" a few times per year, then paid after.

I work from home and have practically begged my delivery people to knock or ring the doorbell when they put stuff on my porch, but usually I see an e-mail that something was delivered.. or I just check once in a while.

Edit: USPS left a package for me last week on the sidewalk in front of my house. It was like 12 inches from the street, but like 30 feet from my porch.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I entered this thread to enjoy a bit of karmic retribution and I came out with the image of Stinkles fighting racoons in his underwear. This is what the Internet was invented for.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Holy shit this thread is still going? And people have brought up Fascism now? Wanting a thief (repeat offender who's been arrested about 20 times) locked up to learn a lesson isn't advocating for violence! (Edit: at least in my case. Lock her the fuck up for stealing, but beating her up isn't necessary) If we start letting shit like this slide then who's to say more people won't start hustling by flipping unattended packages? I really wish I lived in the same kind of happyland you guys defending the thief seem to live in, and yes, you are defending the thief.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that fat dog was running around eating stuff off people's porches. It's not safe having fruit cake delivered if it's gonna sit on the porch!