• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
So I just checked the rewards for Honorbound Service Medals

This might legitimately be Top 3 most ridiculous grinds so far in the history of the game. Over 2.500 are needed to get all the rewards (including mount for 750, which in on itself should take forever) when you get a single medal per wq and 15 for warfront victory. My goodness.

The mount is just a reskin of the Arathi bat mount anyway lmao

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the the new quests and Darkshore looks fuckin amazing. The music and ambience is so good. I hope it stays that way (with the dark moon and all I mean).

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of this game. It's like they took a winning formula in Legion and decided to draw everything out with the idea that they'll still experience the same success.

WQs were fun, so let's disable quick grouping for quests, and make mobs take longer to kill. I don't do any WQ's other than the "kill one thing" ones anymore.

WQs rewards were great, so let's not have them until 8.1., but let's make rep tokens more difficult to earn by making them used on pickup.

Table missions were a nice quick time sink so let's nerf the hell out of the gold/rep/items earned and resource gain rate. I'm just doing this for the achievements.

Bonus rolls were great at 3 per week, so now you have 2 per week because you can't gear up too quickly.

Mythic+ was a resounding success, so let's make the lower keys more difficult to push up by throwing in the Fortified/Tyrannical affixes early, so that even through the item rewards are better, it's more of a chore to push a key up to 10.

Raiding is...okay. Reorigination Array is annoying as fuck if you have to switch toons though.

Gathered mats were not in short supply in Legion, so blood tradeins were taken away as my Miner/Engineer racks up all the explosm and sanguicell.

Warfront rewards are good but the timed and time-consuming nature of them makes them annoying to do, especially in the context of how much time I have to spend doing everything else I listed above.

Ditto for island expeditions.

Last edited:

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll admit I never really bothered with Island Expeditions in the past(except for the xp bonus between 110-120), but I just tried a heroic one with my 359 Frost Mage and we lost by a good 3000 points. We killed a bunch of rares, mined azerites, looted chests and were just starting an event... are heroic Island Expeditions hard to win or something?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So I just checked the rewards for Honorbound Service Medals

This might legitimately be Top 3 most ridiculous grinds so far in the history of the game. Over 2.500 are needed to get all the rewards (including mount for 750, which in on itself should take forever) when you get a single medal per wq and 15 for warfront victory. My goodness.

I was doing the same type of math today. I'm hoping they bump up the medal rewards, because I agree it's a nasty grind right now. Hopefully if they see low numbers, they will bump it.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit I never really bothered with Island Expeditions in the past(except for the xp bonus between 110-120), but I just tried a heroic one with my 359 Frost Mage and we lost by a good 3000 points. We killed a bunch of rares, mined azerites, looted chests and were just starting an event... are heroic Island Expeditions hard to win or something?
You need to go from big-reward event to big-reward event and not waste time on stuff that isn't rares/quests/etc. and probably also need to kill the other team at least once.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017

You need to go from big-reward event to big-reward event and not waste time on stuff that isn't rares/quests/etc. and probably also need to kill the other team at least once.

to add to this, your team may not even care about winning. I joined one and they were just focusing on rares.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The exp changes are outstanding for leveling. 60-80 no longer feels like a grind and I can just enjoy it. Only wish they'd done this sooner.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Finished off the new war campaign stuff, horde only so far.

It's...really good?

Huh.

Hanging with Rexxar and Gallywix, interchangeably, is pretty fun. Even threw in the new Forsaken Tidesage you help create earlier, and one of the Nightborne leaders! All good stuff. Even Lillian Voss was revealed to have a bit of... humanity, hehe

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Finished off the new war campaign stuff, horde only so far.

It's...really good?

Huh.

Hanging with Rexxar and Gallywix, interchangeably, is pretty fun. Even threw in the new Forsaken Tidesage you help create earlier, and one of the Nightborne leaders! All good stuff. Even Lillian Voss was revealed to have a bit of... humanity, hehe

I'm gonna finally get around to this tonight, I think. I've been busy with Darkshore and mythics but I want to see what it is like.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man the Darkshore stuff lol.

Blizzard writing as it's finest.

The rezzed Night Elves serving Sylvanas is still the stupidest goddamn thing since they still say that Forsaken have "free will".

There was a comment on Reddit, it was a pretty dark one but honestly is incredibly apt considering the situation:

"Right? Just like when people lost their families in 9/11 and then got angry at the US government for not preventing it and joined the Al-Qaeda."

That of course never happened but goddamn if that isn't what this feels like.

It's just so duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.

Nov 1, 2017

The rezzed Night Elves serving Sylvanas is still the stupidest goddamn thing since they still say that Forsaken have "free will".

There was a comment on Reddit, it was a pretty dark one but honestly is incredibly apt considering the situation:

"Right? Just like when people lost their families in 9/11 and then got angry at the US government for not preventing it and joined the Al-Qaeda."

The problem with the Forsaken overall:

When I first played WoW the impression I had was that if you were raised in undeath you were pretty much made evil or you became twisted and warped, kind of like a shattered mirror image of who you were. All that might have been of you was lost leaving a more brooding dark aspect of the person you once were. Partly because you lost everything you had in life and those that might have known you would scream "monster" or abomination at you and try to outright kill you. You came to hate what lived and that hatred made you want to destroy it which is why the Forsaken wanted that plague so much.

Things got changed up somewhat in Cata when we saw more people raised and not everything was exactly as it had been, you had people like Voss and others that fled in terror. Yet at the same time we saw Sylvanas using the newly gained allies to instantly raise slain enemies who cheered for Sylvanas and went off to fight for her despite having just died opposing her. So the exact nature of being raised as undead became a bit more confusing than before and what the rules were.

The raising of the Night Elves harkens back to the original view point, you get raised and your basically a twisted hating version of what you were but with everything we've seen in the past few expansions it's confused people on the rules of what makes a person what they are after being raised. The lore there really needs to be sorted out as with the Night Elves it becomes a big WTF that makes no sense based on what we've seen lately.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I logged in for the first time in a year or so last night fam.

I have Horde toons on Area 52, and Alliance toons on Dalaran. Anyone there?

My old gang got a bit smaller when I stopped, so they've teamed up to form a new guild on Area 52 so I have a good (older) mature bunch to raid with if needed. But just checking, cause new friends are always good.

Did some pretty high level play at times, especially back in Naxx 40 days. Used to raid 5 nights per week for years (and yeah was married, geez). Much more casual when I do play now.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the pvp quests are a failure because you can't do them in a raid.
it was already a failure with the call to arms weekly but now with the war invasions it's a lot more apparent.
where there is pvp there will always be raids. without raids you die and in raids you can't do the quests.
how little can a developer understand it's own game?

there is no way I can complete those quests in warmode on my server, which is a shame because I think they are pretty good in the first place but in warmode with raids they would be fantastic. let the players feel the war. warmode is so far the only new feature that ets me remember this expansion in a positive way but they just have to find a way make it less fun somehow.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

I think there's a way they could have made it work, but it'd basically require much more background info on how various nelfs feel about Sylvanas. Maybe they think she's gone too far, maybe they blame HER for Teldrassil, because she wasn't strong enough, maybe they blame her for turning valuable allies like the Nightborne away, maybe they've had doubts for years and years and now it's coming to a head.

Instead, it's just a sudden faction flip from Night Elf to Forsaken. Haaaa.

Oct 25, 2017
That 911 comparison is stupid. And to be technically accurate, the victims of 911 who died would have to be the ones who joined the terrorists and not the surviving family members.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a way they could have made it work, but it'd basically require much more background info on how various nelfs feel about Sylvanas. Maybe they think she's gone too far, maybe they blame HER for Teldrassil, because she wasn't strong enough, maybe they blame her for turning valuable allies like the Nightborne away, maybe they've had doubts for years and years and now it's coming to a head.

Instead, it's just a sudden faction flip from Night Elf to Forsaken. Haaaa.

That really is the big problem. They went ahead and did this without any the work to earn it. Like if they had built up why there is Night Elf's who would follow Sylvanas it would make sense but instead they just change for reasons they don't want to explain.

That 911 comparison is stupid. And to be technically accurate, the victims of 911 who died would have to be the ones who joined the terrorists and not the surviving family members.

Eh, It's not exactly 1 to 1 but the people being that the idea of the victims working with those that hurt them is just bad writing.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
;v;

All of the dogs there, or at least most of them, are named after other Blizzard pups. Not all of them are with us any more, but they're all great boys and girls.

This is nice. Whenever I get around to leveling an Alliance character in the BfA zones I'll make a stop. Things might get a bit messy if I ventured over there with one of my Horde characters.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
The problems with Forsaken 'mind control' have always been there, but in the past they have been mostly ignore-able because they weren't central to the narrative. This expansion is shining a spotlight on them.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like your trying to downplay this. Wow has had good writing, but this? This isn't it.

I don't think I am, I think the 911 comparison is stupid where we're talking about magical resurrection after someone suffers and experiences death. This is not the first time someone resurrected joined the forsaken even though they were previously enemies. I'd imagine dying and being brought back, and given the choice to serve or die can change a person.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I am, I think the 911 comparison is stupid where we're talking about magical resurrection after someone suffers and experiences death. This is not the first time someone resurrected joined the forsaken even though they were previously enemies. I'd imagine dying and being brought back, and given the choice to serve or die can change a person.

It's still just the worst kind of writing. Your having characters suddenly turn 180 and act completely out of character. If the choice is life or death but life also includes you helping the people who murdered you and are trying to commit genocide on your race... I feel like the NE's would choose death over that but for whatever stupid reason (that the mission specifically says they won't get into explaining) it happens.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I need to step up my economy prediction game.

Silverstorm and platinum ore tripled the price on my server after 8.1 dropped. Which is 100% expected because now they were useless before and now they are useful for the 340 gear. I was so afraid of losing gold that didnt invest in this.
Also linen and bloody bones price skyrocketed of people doing bracers for Expulsoms.

I will be braver for 8.1.5 and 8.2!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Gnnngh.

Ghuun HC, 1% wipe

We are *so* close, it'd be good to polish this off before Christmas. I *think* the biggest issue remaining is that people haven't quite got the hang of reading how far you need to be from the Malignant Growths, but that's a hard thing to actually judge from logs.

Edit: Actually, the Growths aren't *too* bad. It looks more like people are tending to end up gathering together for the Growth and as such aren't getting away from one another when the Wave of Corruption happens.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this from Ion-
  • The team views a Mythic+ dungeon like a single boss encounter, which is why you can't change talents or respec in the middle of the dungeon. Choices are more interesting when you are weighing the entire range of situations that the dungeon is going to offer.
That is dumb as fuck. If someone drops or you can't complete the dungeon, why can't I switch to tank spec so we don't fuck the whole run?

Oh yeah, I know. Because blizzard wants you to keep playing, even if it's punitive.

Ytsejam

Nov 9, 2017
Messed with shadow a bit and it feels about the same. The pvp trait added is a good QoL change but they just added like 3 or 4 stacks to our void form and it still doesnt feel good to play. Elemental is apparently doing better damage but it's all about lightning bolt now. These promised reworks are a major letdown. Still enjoy my main boomkin which had a solid ST buff. Demo is still the main success of bfa specs for me.

Raiding and m+ is still fun for me even if m+ feels like a chore. Temple is much better this patch at least.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting a Potion of Tongues in a hotfix that will allow players to talk to players of the other faction. As someone who plays on an RP server, this is huge. Spontaneous cross-faction RP has been asked for for ages.

Oct 25, 2017
It's still just the worst kind of writing. Your having characters suddenly turn 180 and act completely out of character. If the choice is life or death but life also includes you helping the people who murdered you and are trying to commit genocide on your race... I feel like the NE's would choose death over that but for whatever stupid reason (that the mission specifically says they won't get into explaining) it happens.

While I don't think it's bad writing, I am not saying you should like it being that is a very subjective opinion to like the writing or not.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
From the MMOchamp write up:

• The team has plans to make the Heart of Azeroth more engaging.
  • On the story side, this was initially a B plot. It wasn't essential like the Legion Artifact weapon was. This will change with Rise of Azshara and beyond.
  • A neck is less visible than a weapon, but the team didn't want to use the weapon slot all expansion again.
  • The team has a lot of work to do on the Azerite system side. Deeper and more interesting.
  • There is one central flaw. On one hand, AP should be relevant and you should have goals to work towards.
  • AP in Legion gave you something to progress towards. What felt best was when you had a new gold medal talent to work towards, giving you a power boost. The desire for AP and the appeal of your artifact weapon faded after getting the gold traits.
  • The system works best when there are exciting goals to chase.
  • It feels really bad if you get a new piece of armor and the powers on it are locked.
  • All you have to look forward to is utility abilities.
  • As the team looks ahead, they want to significantly change how they are approaching the system.
  • This will be the last tier that you'll have to unlock the powers on. Moving forward, they will probably be unlocked, giving you armor that presents choice.
  • The team will shift AP to the Heart itself, allowing you to make choices about permanent powers, potentially active abilities. More to share in the future!

I'm actually surprised to see the bolded, the actual admission that the system as-is just isn't cutting it and needs a pretty major overhaul is a positive step at least.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be pessimistic, but I have zero faith in their ability to pull out a redemption for the Azerite system. That it was launched in its current state to begin with, and that they're only begrudgingly admitting its failure, doesn't fill me with confidence for their ability to design something fun.

Why was this design shift not in 8.1? By 8.2 or whenever they get around to it, it'll be too late to salvage this expansion. The team under previous leadership was far more capable at putting out major iteration mid-expansion, to classes or gameplay systems.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
The Warlock stamina change is pretty good. Don't have to just use Imp for the stamina boost now with it just being a passive increase normally. Can always use Felhunter now for the interrupt.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of people told them that during beta, no? It was obvious to me a few minutes into the expansion.
of course it sucks that you need to unlock your gear first, especially if it's tied to a repetitive grind.

but at least they will change it.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting that they basically admitted in the Q&A that BfA is essentially early access until 8.2.

I really hope Blizzard can get it's apparent (admitted?) bureaucratic bloat under control which seems to be at least a major part of the problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

For awhile it seemed like they were just bad at recognizing when there were problems. Now they might be able to find problems faster, but are still too slow to act on them in an appropriate timeframe. This is mostly talking macro-level issues.

Oct 25, 2017
I just do not like that answer because it feels like trying to make excuses for the writers and downplays actual good writing if all bad writing can be excused as "some can like it and some won't."

There is objective criticism and there is subjective criticism. Saying it's bad writing because you wouldn't have the characters make the same decisions if you were in control, that's comes off as just saying you don't like it.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
It bums me out to see SO much negativity about the game these days. I definitely find the game a step down from Legion, but it's still one of my faves overall. So much of the core game is still there for me and better than ever these days, especially from a variety standpoint. And I love the visuals, sound, music and world so much that it's still such a fun environment to escape into. I dunno.

People seem to be more and more demanding every year. I still feel very entertained... I don't play every day for 2-3 hours though. More like 4-6 hours a week, tops. I feel like I'd be demanding and never-satisfied if I played a ton, which I assume a lot of the haters of the expansion must be doing...? Might be presumptuous on my part. I don't know.

It's a bummer to not see a lot of excitement for this patch either. I'm pumped. Logging in now.

I don't have any realistic idea of the actual numbers, but I feel like you play very little compared to the average "engaged" player. If you're only playing a few hours a week, it'll seem like there's plenty to do because you're gonna be pretty far behind on the content curve.

Now I have no clue about the amount of people that play around as much as you vs. less or more or how many people there are with alternative play-styles who might binge at certain times and hardly play or quit at others.

I'm sure that sort of info is key in relation to the amount of content they produce, but history dictates that they usually make more than a few hour a week player could fully consume before the next patch is released.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of people told them that during beta, no? It was obvious to me a few minutes into the expansion.
of course it sucks that you need to unlock your gear first, especially if it's tied to a repetitive grind.

but at least they will change it.
It can't just be complaints about the heart that led to this either. They kept going on and on about hard data so they must have some hard data that shows people hate this shit. The fact that they said they'll change it but don't have details is pretty significant. But, it should have never happened. That seems to be blizzards motto these days. I don't have much faith that they'll fix it. I just don't. The blizzard polish is gone.

One thing I will give them is that specs now feel a lot more unique than they did a few expansions ago. But old blizzard would have never left specs broken the way this group has.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm having an issuse since the patch, WoW is hard locking my 144Hz monitor to 120Hz, even after it's closed. I have uploaded a video https://streamable.com/gjatf

If you're using a 144Hz monitor can you check if it's working via the monitor info? It'll load up as 144Hz, but if I tab out it locks to 120Hz and stays there, and it happens when I close the game too.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like Shadow Priests are happy at all with 8.1. Can't believe they didn't fix things after already ADMITTING they launched them in an incomplete state in 8.0. Wow.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I have ONE More siege cannon to find for this Horde Assault WQ, "Where Eagles Prey". I can't find it for my life.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like Shadow Priests are happy at all with 8.1. Can't believe they didn't fix things after already ADMITTING they launched them in an incomplete state in 8.0. Wow.

They just didn't address why Spriests are unhappy. The spec still plays like trash and void form is still really clunky. It's a shame.

Shadow priest needs a revamp, not some number changes

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Specs that are still bad like Spriest, ele, enh and others will really have to wait until 9.0 sadly.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm having an issuse since the patch, WoW is hard locking my 144Hz monitor to 120Hz, even after it's closed. I have uploaded a video https://streamable.com/gjatf

If you're using a 144Hz monitor can you check if it's working via the monitor info? It'll load up as 144Hz, but if I tab out it locks to 120Hz and stays there, and it happens when I close the game too.
I don't have your specific issue, but the patch definitely changed something with the Graphics settings in System. Mine were changed and reset, and normally patches don't do that

I also think something is wonky with the graphics settings now, the Resolution scaling doesn't look as sharp as before. I don't have any proof from before, but I could swear it's different

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Anything time consuming like kill X whatevers or activate X whatevers. Taking advantage of groups means you're done in half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.