Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
yup youre right, this is going to be a f2p gacha hellhole, I forgot where I was.
i mean this won't be given that they've already said it's going to be a limited time thing

but given every BR on the market has something along those lines, further monetization of the concept would be a difficult thing to pass up.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
yup youre right, this is going to be a f2p gacha hellhole, I forgot where I was.
I cant wait to pull for Thrall and Sylvanas on The War Within premium hero banner(exclusively for WoW Premium+ and Game Pass Ultimate subscribers) to build my Warcraft Ultimate Team and dominate the WoW: Clash of Heroes leaderboards

this is the very logical progression from a silly battle royale mode added in a filler patch

Patch 10.2.6 Plunderstorm!
OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I would imagine this would need to be significantly more filled out to warrant a battle pass and such in the future lol. People jumping to a lot of conclusions.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Taivan mount in 10.2.6!

Unfortunately... it's the completionist achievement. Taivan, you will never be mine :(

They also added a mount from the Shadowlands Feat of Strength Veilstrider achievement which is similar to this DF one. I already got Veilstrider, may as well go for this one. It's not too bad if you've been playing DF since release. Hardest part for me will be running all 8 Mythic keys.

www.wowhead.com

Shadowlands Veilstrider Mount Added - Zovaal's Soul Eater

Ready to return to Shadowlands? If you complete (or have completed) the old Shadowlands Veilstrider achievement, you now get a mount!

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
so this is completely separate from your main character?
reminds me of SWTORs galactic starfighter which was a pretty amazing space combat pvp mode but it might as well have been it's own game

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
reminds me of SWTORs galactic starfighter which was a pretty amazing space combat pvp mode but it might as well have been it's own game
yeah, this doesn't have any connection to the game outside of the renown giving cosmetics for retail and wrath classic characters. you start it up from inside dragonflight's client but that's the only link

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Yes per the wowcast and interviews. It's a new login screen. You start fresh every game and pick up powers as you play. Apparently there are 40 levels of Renown for rewards. About 5 matches per renown level. Very achievable casually.

Exclusive Rewards

There are two rewards exclusively for match winners (the last player standing): a tabard and eyepatch. All other rewards are available to everyone through Renown. Each Renown level takes 2,500 plunder, with most matches awarding ~500. Each match should last 5-8 minutes (as opposed to the 10-15 teased in the bluepost) and players can complete one quest per match, with no weekly limit. Although no end date is explicitly given, there are several mentions of a 6-week time frame, suggesting the game mode will end around the beginning of May.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
"a dog mount called Taivan" as if its some random dog and not the character from the best questline in the expansion.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
I wonder if they'll do the fortnite thing and add more parallel game modes that are totally different than the main game. Like Fortnite has Rockband, Lego survival, and racing in it now. A PVP mode that is totally divorced from the main game is something that people have wanted for ages.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I wonder if they'll do the fortnite thing and add more parallel game modes that are totally different than the main game. Like Fortnite has Rockband, Lego survival, and racing in it now. A PVP mode that is totally divorced from the main game is something that people have wanted for ages.

Honestly I think this universe would be perfect for a RTS kind of game.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Got to #3 in my second match by playing a coward lol. I was level 5, the last 2 were 10.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no way they are going to devote so much time and resources for an event with a season pass renown track and not try to turn it into a money printer. I guarantee this comes back with a season pass purchase next time, on top of requiring a subscription.
I've seen this multiple times now and it's just such a big misread of the WoW community. I can only fully judge off the vocal community to be fair, but I think people would lose their collective minds if they tried that. They already semi flirted with the thought of further monetizing the Trading Post they introduced and I'm convinced they walked it back because of all the negative feedback it was generating. So much so they've reassured the community on multiple occasions.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Yes per the wowcast and interviews. It's a new login screen. You start fresh every game and pick up powers as you play. Apparently there are 40 levels of Renown for rewards. About 5 matches per renown level. Very achievable casually.

Jesus christ 200 matches to get to 40?

Yikes, no way I'm gonna have time for that shit. Even if each match is on the low end of 5 minutes, that's 17 hours to max renown.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 4-5 game per level estimate is the floor. You can definitely do this faster if you get into it. Still early levels though so I'll see how this progresses. At this rate I'll be done before the weekend.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I mean, I lasted a pretty long time so it might have been that.

I guess we will see. I don't hate battle royale style games, but my big hang up is always the reward tracks that require you to play 2-3 hours every day for 5-8 weeks in order to unlock everything.

I just play too many games to dedicate that much time to one thing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I think the 4-5 game per level estimate is the floor. You can definitely do this faster if you get into it. Still early levels though so I'll see how this progresses. At this rate I'll be done before the weekend.
Well, if the renown works like it does in game then it's just 2500 a level.

I guess we will see. I don't hate battle royale style games, but my big hang up is always the reward tracks that require you to play 2-3 hours every day for 5-8 weeks in order to unlock everything.

I just play too many games to dedicate that much time to one thing.
I imagine you get more rep the better you do and the more loot you get. So the more loot you get the more rep you get.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Spectating and rooting for the guy who killed me to win it all. 💅🏿

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So frustrating. Seconds away from winning they got me. Feel like I'm not gonna get there again.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, I don't think this is for me. Getting like 100 reputation for a match when you need 2500 to get to a level sucks.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, just attacking in this mode is really fun. I know this wouldn't work for the main game but it's cool to experience here.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ 200 matches to get to 40?

Yikes, no way I'm gonna have time for that shit. Even if each match is on the low end of 5 minutes, that's 17 hours to max renown.
17 hours is a nothing grind for multiple mounts, pets and transmogs in WoW terms. 17 hours ina 6 week event is less than 3 hours a week you'd have to spend playing this.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
17 hours is a nothing grind for multiple mounts, pets and transmogs in WoW terms. 17 hours ina 6 week event is less than 3 hours a week you'd have to spend playing this.

I mean yeah I went to fancy college, I can do math.

My problem is I play about 3 hours a week now, so even that is going to be a stretch unless I only play this event lol

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
that looks really good, I am excited to see where they are going with this
not gonna sub for it though, but I am looking forward to try it in the prepatch

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Averaging about 100-300 rep per match. Gotten more a few times, but mostly you get jumped pretty early and its a crap shoot if you got better skills to use than the guy who found you.

The daily quest seems to give you like 2000 renown the first time you do it?

Honestly after about 30 minutes I was already getting bored of it. Don't think I got it in me to play this the amount of time required to get the mounts.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
So far my strategy is to land in the keep, because nobody seems to land there. I'm lvl 3 with a few abilities by the time I leave the keep.

(Still haven't placed higher than 3 tho...)

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the most success just running around the middle of the map looking for treasure. I've found some really cool epics while I'm also finding my fastest way to level to 8. Haven't made it to lv 10 yet.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Also, do we actually get to spend our plunder on anything? What is it for?