modernist

Jan 13, 2018
having a blast so far, and feel like this is the first expansion since pandaria (which it mirrors in lots of ways) where i feel no stake in getting to endgame - enjoying small evening play sessions doing some questing here and there, getting a better feel for the flying, gliding down to fish, generally stopping and smelling the roses. very chill

I'm not sure if it's because I started a day in to the expansion, if its heavy zone sharding since i'm on one of the most populated servers, or just because early/instant access to flight mechanics has everyone up in the sky, but the world and the zones feels very empty of player life so far. for now it's adding to a certain zen quality along with the bucolic style of zones and refocusing on purity of experience rather than boring expansion-specific systems, but I do wish there was a bit more of a sense of other players being around and ambient interaction. maybe that'll come together as i get into the later zones and the main city

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I've only been playing during off-peak hours, but every time I've played I've been a bit surprised at how empty the zones are. And I'm playing on EU Draenor, which is the biggest Horde realm (unless that changed and I didn't notice).

Dunno if I'm just getting unlucky with sharding, but I feel like I saw a lot more people in Shadowlands zones in the first week of launch.

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
yeah im also on EU Draenor, and usually expect it to be a pretty full house considering the server size. there's been a couple moments like the attack on obsidian citadel where a bunch of people were suddenly around doing the same thing and it felt almost like a previous expansion's scenario set up, but otherwise its been a bit of a ghost town

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
When you level up blacksmith and end up making money selling treats for hatchlings instead.

I must say I'm really enjoying this chill atmosphere between horde and alliance in the quests. It feels good seeing npcs from both factions interacting together at peace. Not much reason to keep the chat restriction now.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
For me personally, I generally have fun with all the expansions, as I love new areas and new races and all sort of stuff. The main problem really is the follow up patches. If they take forever to release a follow up patch and it is middling, the expansion immediately loses a lot of its positivity. Shadowlands would have been fine I feel if the new areas weren't abysmal and if Torghast had lived up to its expectations.
Yeah, as a casual player who has played since vanilla and drops in for (most) expansion launches, this definitely reflects my feeling on WoW expansions. I'm the guy sitting quietly on the sidelines out here thinking BfA was a fricking amazing expansion because it delivered pretty much exactly what I wanted - beautiful zones, with a more grounded story, heavy narrative focus, and strong free-form exploration potential. But I always check out once I hit max level and have completed some of the more casual end-game activities (mostly cosmetics and mounts in this game, it really needs more casual end game content like player housing imo) because I don't have the time to bother getting into raids and mythics.

I completely skipped Shadowlands because it looked like the polar opposite of all that. I generally don't care about WoW when it's being ultra END OF THE WORLD and is set in alternate dimensions or involves time travel or whatever nonsense they feel the need to dream up. Just give me Azeroth =P

My dream expansion is basically Cataclysm 2.0 - a complete overhaul of the old world zones to make them relevant for end game content again, with a visual overhaul, and I'll say it again: player housing please Blizz!

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I've only been playing during off-peak hours, but every time I've played I've been a bit surprised at how empty the zones are. And I'm playing on EU Draenor, which is the biggest Horde realm (unless that changed and I didn't notice).

Dunno if I'm just getting unlucky with sharding, but I feel like I saw a lot more people in Shadowlands zones in the first week of launch.
Can't say the same. Everywhere I go I find lots of people and can find groups easily. But again, I'm on EU Kazzak one of the biggest if not the biggest horde server.

Off-peak hours is kinda populated but not like peak hours

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Can't say the same. Everywhere I go I find lots of people and can find groups easily. But again, I'm on EU Kazzak one of the biggest if not the biggest horde server.

Off-peak hours is kinda populated but not like peak hours

Hmm, might be time to start looking into server populations again. I last checked them when Shadowlands launched, so it's entirely possible that Draenor or a few of its connected realms saw a drop in population.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I must say I'm really enjoying this chill atmosphere between horde and alliance in the quests. It feels good seeing npcs from both factions interacting together at peace. Not much reason to keep the chat restriction now.

Cross faction tagging being disabled is also super nice. No more competing for tags. It's creating a nice cooperative atmosphere out in the open world. I love it.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
yeah im also on EU Draenor, and usually expect it to be a pretty full house considering the server size. there's been a couple moments like the attack on obsidian citadel where a bunch of people were suddenly around doing the same thing and it felt almost like a previous expansion's scenario set up, but otherwise its been a bit of a ghost town
Also on EU Draenor, and I think they're making very heavy use of sharding right now, very rarely see more than 5 people in the open world.

Rather they shard like this than have the almost unplayable levels of lag we had during launch day.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Hmm, might be time to start looking into server populations again. I last checked them when Shadowlands launched, so it's entirely possible that Draenor or a few of its connected realms saw a drop in population.
I remember Draenor being one of the better servers

Don't know how accurate is this but Draenor is still up there

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Cross faction tagging being disabled is also super nice. No more competing for tags. It's creating a nice cooperative atmosphere out in the open world. I love it.

Right forgot about that too! Had several instances where I played with horde players in the open world and we helped each others even if we couldn't speak. Meeting other players in a mmo should always be a good surprise and I'm glad they removed the tag restriction.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Yam's by the way I went mining and jewelcrafting. Mining is easy but jewelcrafting needs work with all the specialties

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Yam's by the way I went mining and jewelcrafting. Mining is easy but jewelcrafting needs work with all the specialties

Yeah same with blacksmith. I chose weapon specialization, but it's not easy to level it up for now. I'm trying to craft everything once for the bonus knowledge point, but I'm not sure if it's the most efficient way to go. No one is using working orders either on my realm ;( I'm gonna end up filling order to myself through alts :D

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to see all current crafting orders ? Or is no one using them at all, lol
Not sure I completely understand the UI

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Is there a way to see all current crafting orders ? Or is no one using them at all, lol
Not sure I completely understand the UI
What do you mean by sell? The system is you request a crafter to craft whatever item for you. People still haven't went deep on this but soon they will

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The "Okay, other MMOs are doing things better so lets start borrowing from them" trilogy. That's my big wish anyway.

Taking existing concepts from other games and implementing their own version has sort of always been Blizzard's bread and butter, and I'd actually argue it is what they are best at. I feel like it's something they started to shy away from years ago, and I'm glad to see them returning to it. I hope it continues and they come up with their own versions of some of the better stuff from GW2, FF14, and any other games in the genre that have well-received mechanics. (you could argue the crafting overhaul is a baby step there, but we still need something like housing to really push crafting into relevance outside of item level.)

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Taking existing concepts from other games and implementing their own version has sort of always been Blizzard's bread and butter, and I'd actually argue it is what they are best at. I feel like it's something they started to shy away from years ago, and I'm glad to see them returning to it. I hope it continues and they come up with their own versions of some of the better stuff from GW2, FF14, and any other games in the genre that have well-received mechanics. (you could argue the crafting overhaul is a baby step there, but we still need something like housing to really push crafting into relevance outside of item level.)

Now if only Blizzard could go ahead and make the "trust"/use NPCs for dungeons thing an option in WoW.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for Blizzard to "grab" the idea of trials from FFXIV. Single-boss raids with no trash that reward weapons/accessories/mounts/pets.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think Dragonflight has a very good first impression but the moment you eventually tire of Dragonflight and all the "options" of professions, you get kind of bored.

Blizzard really needs to pull the trigger and offer higher end gear for world quests. I'm talking heroic raiding ilevels. A lot of people I know get to max level, so some dungeons, and then quit because the time sink into dungeons or PvP gear is such a slog. Blizzard needs to pivot out of WoW being a true mmo. It's a dying breed especially with how outdated they all are these days.

Syv

Oct 25, 2017
when was the last time they did a gruuls lair style raid?
In BFA they did Crucible of Storms with only two Bosses in there. So in 8.1.5, which is like ~2.5 years ago or something like that.
Just nobody did that raid, cause it was way harder than the regular ones and gave bad gear.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I think Dragonflight has a very good first impression but the moment you eventually tire of Dragonflight and all the "options" of professions, you get kind of bored.

Blizzard really needs to pull the trigger and offer higher end gear for world quests. I'm talking heroic raiding ilevels. A lot of people I know get to max level, so some dungeons, and then quit because the time sink into dungeons or PvP gear is such a slog. Blizzard needs to pivot out of WoW being a true mmo. It's a dying breed especially with how outdated they all are these days.
So you're complaint is, you get bored of the game if you completed the content you find interesting and ignore the rest of the available content?

Giving away such gear for that easy content is a horrible idea. Might as well give away full mythic sets at that point, why not. Hell, start me in full mythic gear so I don't even have to do the world quests.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean by sell? The system is you request a crafter to craft whatever item for you. People still haven't went deep on this but soon they will
See, not sell.
Basically, I'm a crafter and I want to see what I can craft for someone, but all I can seem to be able to do is place orders

Edit : also is all you can order is already available in the UI, well as an alchemist I probably won't ever use it, lol

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
See, not sell.
Basically, I'm a crafter and I want to see what I can craft for someone, but all I can seem to be able to do is place orders

Edit : also is all you can order is already available in the UI, well as an alchemist I probably won't ever use it, lol
My bad 😂 Yes you can go to public tab and click search. You'll find everything requested there

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Thats weird. Can you take a screenshot for me please?
I just got it.
I was going to the crafting order NPC instead of my own UI.
Really dumb of me in hindisght, lmao. I guess the quest orienting me towards the NPCs made me think all was done there.

Edit : zero tailoring public order either, boo

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
An atmospheric thing I've enjoyed is how in a lot of areas, there are just a ton of random friendly drakes flying around. Does a good job of making the Dragon Isles actually feel alive.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So you're complaint is, you get bored of the game if you completed the content you find interesting and ignore the rest of the available content?

Giving away such gear for that easy content is a horrible idea. Might as well give away full mythic sets at that point, why not. Hell, start me in full mythic gear so I don't even have to do the world quests.
I get bored of each expansion after about a decade being just a new coat of paint on top of an aging game. Compare WotLk Classic to Dragonflight. The only sizable difference is the mobility of characters. Instead of reputation, you now get renown and get a new thing at each level. Dungeons are basically the same. Raiding is the same. PvP is the same. You even still just go around collecting ore. Wait. Their biggest change to date is allowing players to use higher end gear from professions they do not use.

The game has become very, very stale. It is the same routine with just new paint. The last revolutionary thing in WoW in terms of gameplay was flying back in 2007.

And people wonder why their sub count drops: you can only do the same thing a slightly different way each time before getting pretty bored.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I really think playable tuskarr is happening tho
the new tuskarr models don't actually wear player equipment, unlike the old ones. they're like the venthyr and sylvari in that they look like they ought to be playable but they're not actually rigged with player animations or the ability to wear player clothing

data west

Oct 25, 2017
the new tuskarr models don't actually wear player equipment, unlike the old ones. they're like the venthyr and sylvari in that they look like they ought to be playable but they're not actually rigged with player animations or the ability to wear player clothing
That's how the Nightborne were before they were added

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's how the Nightborne were before they were added
yeah and that famously went over real well and didn't take two whole expansions for them to bring up to a passable state

the playable nightborne ended up looking radically different from the npc models that people actually wanted to be, to the point that the heritage armor didn't even fit the model without clipping until they eventually refit it

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
blizzard needs to finish allied races and original race customisation + heritage armours, as well as customising druid forms, before they do anything regarding new races IMO. i want to customise my kul tiran druid forms

i'd love to play tuskarr though. better than pandas

data west

Oct 25, 2017
yeah and that famously went over real well and didn't take two whole expansions for them to bring up to a passable state

the playable nightborne ended up looking radically different from the npc models that people actually wanted to be, to the point that the heritage armor didn't even fit the model without clipping until they eventually refit it
Also, the original Zandalari models

Armor not showing up on them is not indicative that it won't show up down the road. The way Blizzard handled race models back in the day it was just easier for them to make them unique by slapping on a piece of armor (like the Naga or Broken)

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Also, the original Zandalari models

Armor not showing up on them is not indicative that it won't show up down the road. The way Blizzard handled race models back in the day it was just easier for them to make them unique by slapping on a piece of armor (like the Naga or Broken)
the original zandalari models don't matter because the revamped ones in BFA did wear player equipment and had almost all the necessary animations at launch, same with kul tirans

occam's razor. if they intended for them to be playable, they wouldn't do half the work now and half later.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finally used the Orders to get my weekly profession Draconic Treatises since I haven't gotten my scribe up and running yet. Pretty easy. Cost 20g and I had the mats.

wingthor

Sep 18, 2021
I get bored of each expansion after about a decade being just a new coat of paint on top of an aging game. Compare WotLk Classic to Dragonflight. The only sizable difference is the mobility of characters. Instead of reputation, you now get renown and get a new thing at each level. Dungeons are basically the same. Raiding is the same. PvP is the same. You even still just go around collecting ore. Wait. Their biggest change to date is allowing players to use higher end gear from professions they do not use.

The game has become very, very stale. It is the same routine with just new paint. The last revolutionary thing in WoW in terms of gameplay was flying back in 2007.

And people wonder why their sub count drops: you can only do the same thing a slightly different way each time before getting pretty bored.
Transmog? M+? Dragonriding? Those are some pretty big systems added to the game since Wotlk.

Oct 25, 2017

sounds like mmos just aren't your thing

best to unsub and go play something else

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Mining tip if you need Draconic ore. I parked a pvp enabled miner alt i'm not using in a cave in Waking Shores. Every time I've logged on, there are 2-3 rich veins just sitting there.
ZUGotTI.png

And 2 more popped while I was posting this lol.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021

Doesn't that apply to ALL MMO's??

Bengraven