• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a cheaper non-portable Switch?

• Don't own a Switch, Yes

Votes: 208 23.6%
  • Don't own a Switch, No

Votes: 98 11.1%
  • Own a Switch, yes(if I had the choice)

Votes: 94 10.7%
  • Own a Switch, no(if I had the choice)

Votes: 482 54.6%

• Total voters

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading the "What's your preferred Switch play mode: Docked? Or Portable?" thread and was surprised to see that a lot of people play their Switch primarily or exclusively in docked mode.

Personally, to me, the portability of the console is the biggest draw of the console. The fact that I can play a game like Mario Odyssey on the go when I'm on a roadtrip or on a plane, or even when I'm relaxing in bed, is crazy. If not for the portability, I would most likely have waited much longer(atleast a year or two) before biting on the Switch.

That said, clearly different people have different priorities and a lot of people only play their Switch docked. If there was an option for a cheaper non-portable Switch, would you go for that over the portable one?

Oct 27, 2017
No, and I don't think it's worth Nintendo pursuing if the data shows that people generally use both configurations

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I like how I can either play docked or switch to portable mode in an instant. I wouldn't want a cheaper portable model.

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Personally I wouldn't buy a Switch that was either a dedicated home console, or a dedicated portable. The flexibility of being about to play it how I want, when I want, where I want is really the entire draw of the system. More than willing to trade extra money, and/or power for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Nintendo axing the joycon anytime soon.
I do see revisions like most of Nintendo's hardware, but probably for for awhile when they can't handle the supply

Maybe at the end of the generation when we're close to a Switch successor Nintendo can put something like the PSTV or the 2DS as a cheap alternative

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The system is called "Switch." At it's core it is a hybrid console. I highly doubt they change this any time soon.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I already have a switch, but given the option I'd probably take the non-portable one over the portable one.

I think I've used it undocked for all of 10 hours.

Pagey81

Oct 29, 2017
The best thing about the Switch is the portable side of it. I love the fact I can use it to take anywhere I want

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think given that around 50% of current Switch owners have a primary mode of use, there's clear indication that there's a reason for Nintendo to develop devices more specifically tuned to those usage modes.

Something more like the form factor and size of a regular 3DS for cheaper would probably be very popular, allow them to offer a cheaper device, and there would be no need to splinter the software market.

I think they've got enough momentum right now that they won't be in any hurry to get those kind of devices on the market any time soon. Especially with the 3DS still doing well on hardware/software fronts.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! That's exactly what I want. Small box, pro controller, maybe Zelda bundle. I'm not interested in portability at all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The system is called "Switch." At it's core it is a hybrid console. I highly doubt they change this any time soon.

The 2DS shows they're not afraid of removing the key feature of their system in a cheaper revision.

Personally, I don't see any problem with providing the option. I wouldn't want one without being able to use it both ways, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who just want to play the games on a home console.

The main problem is how would you decide between supporting those who just want a home console, and those who just want a handheld?

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would have if it was available at launch as I really don't care about portability, but moot now since I already own one.

It's just me and the fiance and we have two 55" TVs. If we hang out we're doing something together, neither of us have any interest in me playing games next to her while she watches TV or whatever like some do as we're both introverts and need lots of alone time. I don't take public transit to work, travel only a few times a year etc.

That said, I don't think it makes sense for them to split skus as it muddles the "Switch marketing." Plus it's selling well so they're making more money from people like me paying for screen, JoyCons etc. we don't/rarely use and the portable people paying for the overpriced dock they don't/rarely use. So there's really no reason for them to change it.

I just hope the successor down the road takes advantage of their supplemental computing device patent and we can pay more for more powerful docks to get more of a boost in docked mode, 4K for people who want it etc.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I would have, but I have a Switch already. Maybe if I could sell my current one at cost and buy the cheaper home console unit, but otherwise the time has passed for me.

And a portable only version wouldn't make a lot of sense because there aren't as many places to shave costs, unlike a home console cutting the screen, battery, etc.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The ability to switch between docked and undocked is a guiding principle of the console, I don't think we will ever see any sort of docked or un-docked only version. Kind of defeats the purpose of the name of the console.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the price difference. If it was $50 cheaper then No. $100? I would consider it.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly interested in the opposite. Personally, I'll be holding off on grabbing a Switch, just in case Ninty releases a smaller, more ergonomic version of it. No detachable joycons, no docking, just something close to a traditional handheld. They're not strangers to strange hardware revisions, so who knows?

Oct 29, 2017
Yes!! I haven't gamed on a handheld in a decade. I'm waiting on a switch price drop anyway since I know It'll only me a Zelda/Mario box for me. So that would be perfect.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! I don't care for the portability and I doubt I'd ever use it. Shave off the extra £80, £200 would be the sweet spot for me!

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Half the price and im directly in
Don't need the portability at all - If im not at home im at places i can't play anyway or want to play.
My girlfriend owns a switch and if she's here she plays it mostly on my 2nd TV cause she doesn't care for portability either.
I myself don't see it being worth that much if one half which keeps the price high is completely useless to me so i won't get one before its at the price i want it to be.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I couldn't care less about the portability. Mine has been out of the dock once. I bought it because I want to play Nintendo games.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I like the option to have it be portable. I play mainly docked, especially at home, but if my TV is preoccupied or I want to go to a friends place or kill some time during break at work, then there's nothing else like that out there.
I first saw myself as just being a Docked only kind of guy, but after getting it, I just can't not have that option to take it on the go.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
I'm the total opposite. If i could buy a switch for £80 less without the dock (current price of the dock in the UK) i would be one today.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It would have to be significantly cheaper. If it's only $50 less than the original version, I'd rather spend the extra money and have access to a portable mode. If it's much cheaper than that though, I'm not sure Nintendo would stand to gain much from producing it.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I'd rather a smaller portable one. I think it works fine as-is when docked, but because of the size it's less portable. I'd love something a little smaller and more pocket-able, but could still play BotW.

Oct 31, 2017
I spend most of my time playing handheld so no I would not. In fact I recently docked my Switch while playing BOTW and was blown away by all the details that don't show up in handheld mode. That's a sure sign I need to put it in the dock more often.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
No way, I thought this before I owned a switch but now that I've had one for a few weeks I actually play it in undocked mode ore.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I already have one so no I guess. What would intrigue me is if you made it docked only but used the savings to make the system more powerful. In that case I'd sell this switch as fast as I could, portables are worthless to me.

tilomite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna buy a Switch this year, but I don't plan on using it as a portable, so I'd be happy with a cheaper non-portable version.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think you may have missed that most people use it both docked and undocked. You can primarily use it in either configuration but the nice thing is you have the ability and option of playing it either way depending on the situation.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What would the system even be at that point? A console instead of a tablet? No dock? No Joy-Cons?

That wouldn't be worth it IMO.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't use portability much. I appreciate the option though.

I'd only buy TV only Switch if it's specs were more powerful. Like a Pro or X.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the total opposite. If i could buy a switch for £80 less without the dock (current price of the dock in the UK) i would be one today.

That'd probably be the ideal solution, as it allows you to purchase the duck at a later date to get the full experience. With a dedicated home console, you're stuck with that unless you upgrade to an actual main Switch model.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If I go out it not to play videogames, only ever played portables indoors aside the odd very rare occasion.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
As long as they don't over do it with too many versions, or do anything stupid (like a system with no cart slot), I'll probably try to (eventually) get one of each Switch version.

I feel like there are pretty good odds that they'll eventually do handheld only and console only versions. That kinda kills the gimmick though, so they might only do different form factors.