• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Does inside shenanigans equal more NBA viewers? Sucks to lose jokes and memes but not sure what it does for the brand of NBA

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Does inside shenanigans equal more NBA viewers? Sucks to lose jokes and memes but not sure what it does for the brand of NBA

I don't know if there's a perfect quantifiable way to know. I guess halftime ratings/lead in ratings?

I could be completely wrong but im of the opinion that the NBA needs a makeover to how its product is marketed and that stuff like Inside and ESPN talking heads don't do them any favors. Unfortunately that won't really happen as ESPN is still in the drivers seat for them but I can't think of a sport where greatness is appreciated less than the way the NBA is covered and perceived by media/fans. It's like its media conditions fans to have this adversarial relationship with the sport and players.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah and I argue that's in part because of how the NBA has decided to present itself. The NBA has not encouraged or helped fans better understand and be able to appreciate basketball and the majority of their product (the regular season). I don't see the likes of Zach Lowe, Ryen Russell, Kevin O'Connor, etc…pundits who actually watch games talking about how boring the regular season is.

Is it how the NBA presents itself or how ESPN manages their halftime show? TNT at least tries to have some analysis, ESPN doesn't even try, I guess counting on real fans to watch the dedicated NBA show where Lowe and company reside.

As far as ratings go, I'm already a fan but I'm far more likely to watch a game on TNT than on ESPN just because I like the TNT presentation a lot better. What that means for casual fans though, I have no idea.

DinosaurJerky

Nov 19, 2022
I don't know if there's a perfect quantifiable way to know. I guess halftime ratings/lead in ratings?

I could be completely wrong but im of the opinion that the NBA needs a makeover to how its product is marketed and that stuff like Inside and ESPN talking heads don't do them any favors. Unfortunately that won't really happen as ESPN is still in the drivers seat for them but I can't think of a sport where greatness is appreciated less than the way the NBA is covered and perceived by media/fans. It's like its media conditions fans to have this adversarial relationship with the sport and players.
I think the hyper-fixation on rings has been a real problem. It diminishes the regular season and the majority of stars for no real benefit. Any number of regular season NFL games beat the highest-rated Finals game in a given year. The nature of basketball is that three of the top five guys are going to have seven or eight rings between them each decade, so why isn't the league doing everything it can to keep fans of the other 25-27 teams engaged?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hyper-fixation on rings has been a real problem. It diminishes the regular season and the majority of stars for no real benefit. Any number of regular season NFL games beat the highest-rated Finals game in a given year. The nature of basketball is that three of the top five guys are going to have seven or eight rings between them each decade, so why isn't the league doing everything it can to keep fans of the other 25-27 teams engaged?

Well the real way to do that is to have less games. Regular season gets exciting after the All Star break because teams start to get serious, the trade deadline has passed, wins and losses start to matter because time is running out, teams want to avoid the play-in... it gets very competitive. It's great! The final day of games this season was insane, like 14 teams didn't have their final standing decided going into the last day.

Only problem is you have the 60 games before that, which mean absolutely fuck all. No one cares about random January regular season NBA game # 42/82. Game where superstar might not even be playing due to load management or injury. This is the era of content, when you have 7 billion things you can watch on Netflix at any given time, who's going to spend 3 hours watching some random meaningless regular season NBA game?

But with less games, the NBA ain't getting 3 partners to pay $2.5 billion a year for their product. So it's not an option. I think the regular season viewership will continue to slide, while "important" games like the playoffs and possibly the in season tournament will creep up.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
It's boring because the games are mostly meaningless and the stars are playing less and less.

I'm glad you find it interesting but these days even premier Christmas Day games are getting crushed by lousy NFL games.
Yeah, my interest in NBA regular season games in general has plummeted in recent years because of how meaningless they've become and the clear difference in how a regular season game comes off versus a playoff game. That difference just seems more pronounced in the NBA compared to other sports leagues imo

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my interest in NBA regular season games in general has plummeted in recent years because of how meaningless they've become and the clear difference in how a regular season game comes off versus a playoff game. That difference just seems more pronounced in the NBA compared to other sports leagues imo
It's the one league that would genuinely benefit from less games played, but they won't ever do it because 💰

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
In most markets I'd think the local viewership mainly wants to follow the home team, and in a lot of places these are now paywalled behind cable or streaming. So for a long time, for instance, I couldn't watch the Dodgers because of Spectrum not dealing with DirecTV, and those were the formative years for my kids so they didn't watch either.
It's the one league that would genuinely benefit from less games played, but they won't ever do it because 💰

This makes me wonder why the WNBA doesn't market the fact that they have way less games as a benefit, because every game does matter more. Maybe in the Clark era they will.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It is a fair comparison given that the ratings gap is growing.
It's just the better "TV" sport. Once a week, small number of games, single game elimination playoffs.

I don't get why the owners want more games. Well I get it, money. But it's too many games.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Reddit, apparently from Bill Simmons podcast:
[Simmons] The NBA media deal talks are over, TNT lost it, NBC is getting it. I don't know why they're waiting to announce it

This was on the most recent episode of the Bill Simmons podcast when he made this as a throwaway comment. He speculates they're waiting until the playoffs are done for TNT to announce it. He also doesn't provide the $$ on this but Bill is plugged on on rich people things with the NBA.

Source: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...ks-on-fumes-okcs/id1043699613?i=1000655377215

I'm sad as hell to see Inside the NBA end. Even if Chuck, Shaq and Kenny keep working together, it will never be the same without Ernie.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
Inside the NBA would definitely be done then since Ernie would be staying at TNT and Charles Barkley has that out clause in his TNT contract

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
Why do we assume Ernie would stay at TNT? What would he do if not Inside the NBA?

it's been reported by numerous different outlets that Ernie would be staying at TNT regardless of what happens with the NBA rights. Ernie doesn't just cover the NBA, though obviously he is most known for the NBA compared to everything else.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I'm less concerned about getting 100% of the team back and more concerned with how much time the cast is given to cook if it transitions to NBC.

Inside is what it is not just because of the crew but because it gets a generous amount of airtime for halftime, post game, etc. That stuff isn't necessarily a given. ESPN would rather fill the time with ads for example.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm less concerned about getting 100% of the team back and more concerned with how much time the cast is given to cook if it transitions to NBC.

Inside is what it is not just because of the crew but because it gets a generous amount of airtime for halftime, post game, etc. That stuff isn't necessarily a given. ESPN would rather fill the time with ads for example.

I was concerned about that as well but NBC owns USA, right? I'd think they would give them time to cook there.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the rumors are true, it still boggles my mind that NBC is going to pay $2.6b and not even get a piece of the NBA Finals.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
End of an era. Chuck made a joke the other night that made it seem like the deal was done too. Something like "aint like we can get fired."

Oct 28, 2017
ernie would be a huge blow, but if NBC can get barkley and kenny, and less so shaq...it will still be a great show. barkely is essential. just get him with the right people