• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So, Nimrod and the Phoenix appearing in the intro, does that imply they'll be part of the storyline this season?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, Nimrod and the Phoenix appearing in the intro, does that imply they'll be part of the storyline this season?

Not necessarily. Though I mean if you want to be technical, Bastion is Nimrod and Master Mold fused together, just covering themselves with fake flesh.

So you could argue that if Bastion is the villain of the finale, then Nimrod is kind of that too?

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Yup another good one and never thought I'd say Ororo in her classic black costume.

Also yay Nightcrawler gets his own intro card. I once again can hope that the intro is updated with a special guest hero as well.

Still stings to not see Remy in the intro.

ccnack

Feb 12, 2021
The end with Xavier needing to go back to earth for the X-Men made me tear up. Storm's transformation was beautiful. This show just keeps getting better and better; I can't believe how hard it's hitting me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling Magneto isn't truly dead. I fear Gambit may be the main one whose death is kinda confirmed.

They very noticeably *did not* show Magneto's death in the "last time" preview or even allude to it in this episode, so I think they're specifically avoiding dealing with it until next week, to fuel this kind of speculation. I don't think he'll be shown to be alive for the rest of the season, though.

Kaine_Parker

Jan 17, 2022
Episode 6 Lifedeath Pt.2 really sets up so many branching storylines, I'm actually curious which direction they're going to go.
At least as far as Xavier & The Shi'ar are going.

It's interesting that they're doing Shi'ar stuff right after the Genoshan genocide, because during Grant Morrison's run on 'New X-Men', Lilandra was on the run with the Starjammers from the Shi'ar empire. Lots of things happen here, but the scene this week where Deathbird is criticising Lilandra for being with a lowly Terran is pretty key foreshadowing because she later weds a 'Terran' and uses him to usurp the throne of the Shi'ar empire.

You know what? They're totally working their way up to the assassination of Lilandra, aren't they?
Oh that would be tragic to see in animation.
Wow, I think they're really going there. There was absolutely no reason to involve any Shi'ar storyline otherwise. Especially in this time-space.

Also as far as earth is concerned, the point about other nations in the world refusing to accept returning mutant refugees after the attack & leaving them with no home, leads me to believe they might try the Utopia saga, maybe? That would be awesome and is imo some of the best Cyclops characterisation the character has ever had in comic book history.
Where else are these mutants going to go except the fallen Asteroid M floating in the ocean.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Ummm…Deathbird didn't need to put so much emphasis on Milky Way Ghetto. I took that shit personally.

There are so many big and small ways you can tell that there are PoC in this writers room. Because that line took me out.

She just called us poor and low class.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Nightcrawler in the intro (meaning he's part of the team now)

yes-rudy.gif

Thought FOR SURE they were about to reveal
Cassandra Nova
at the end there considering they were taking direct lines from "E For Extinction".

So who the hell told the X-Men Xavier was dead in the first place?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 6 Lifedeath Pt.2 really sets up so many branching storylines, I'm actually curious which direction they're going to go.
At least as far as Xavier & The Shi'ar are going.

It's interesting that they're doing Shi'ar stuff right after the Genoshan genocide, because during Grant Morrison's run on 'New X-Men', Lilandra was on the run with the Starjammers from the Shi'ar empire. Lots of things happen here, but the scene this week where Deathbird is criticising Lilandra for being with a lowly Terran is pretty key foreshadowing because she later weds a 'Terran' and uses him to usurp the throne of the Shi'ar empire.

You know what? They're totally working their way up to the assassination of Lilandra, aren't they?
Oh that would be tragic to see in animation.
Wow, I think they're really going there. There was absolutely no reason to involve any Shi'ar storyline otherwise. Especially in this time-space.

Also as far as earth is concerned, the point about other nations in the world refusing to accept returning mutant refugees after the attack & leaving them with no home, leads me to believe they might try the Utopia saga, maybe? That would be awesome and is imo some of the best Cyclops characterisation the character has ever had in comic book history.
Where else are these mutants going to go except the fallen Asteroid M floating in the ocean.

I think the number one reason we're seeing the Shi'ar storyline adapted right now is so that Xavier can express the "assimilation is death" ideal he showed off here. Coexistence only works if it's COexistence, not existence at the expense of one group or another. A unification that comes at the cost of any of the cultures being unified is not unification. It's a jingoistic lie that the victors tell themselves - conveniently, just like the lie that "tolerance" is enough.

And our season finale's title is, fittingly, "Tolerance is Extinction".

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Mere moments after I was saying to my partner that Deathbirth/the Shi'ar consider "terrans" to be ghetto, she literally says "Milky Way Ghetto"

Interesting that they gave Lilandra telepathic abilities considered potent enough to purge Xavier of all his earthly memories(even if he was willing)...it's not like they have already shown Oracle as part of the Imperial Guard already.

Classroom scene was funny, "DEMERITS!", and sorta reminded me of when Jean and Xavier were "schooling" Cassandra Nova.

Storm is back and looks great...I'm surprised they didn't sorta hint at her own magical heritage/potential, but it's fine considering how stuffed these episodes are

Oct 25, 2017
Coexistence is messy, but better than domination. It takes time, knowledge, empathy.

Storm's back, and she's got her classic costume! Plus her original hair.
Interesting how Charles only noticed Gambit's death and not Magneto's. They're definitely keeping it vague.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
After last week with the affair and Genosha and this weeks' class in session and "I gave you my DNA for Master Mold, they're taking so much from Morrison. Like BWoog said, I was expecting a very different reveal.

But I'm actually digging that. Whether you're a fan of the animated series or the comics, they are twisting our expectations. That's good fucking writing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Forge made his bed. Let him die in it."

God, I love that line. It's not exactly a unique line, but the mixture of the wordplay and the way the actress delivers it just made me grin.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The animation on the Adversary was fucking top notch. Holy shit What If's animation is embarrassing at this point.

I'm not familiar with the original story that was adapted here, but I thought using the Adversary as basically a metamagical personification of depression and self-loathing was a nice touch. The fact it's just so bitter is a really fun character note to play with, and the way it moves really gives that feeling of something out of a nightmare.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Nightcrawler in the intro. Chuck chomping on an apple in the astral plane. Storm ascending back into the top of the tier list. We're so back!

I really liked Lilandra's line about the drama of Earth being like a black hole. And Deathbird saying Earth is in a "milky way ghetto." I know she says Terran with a HARD 'N'

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Deathbird being a straight up racist was so on point.

Though in fairness, she'll turn eventually. She sees Bishop and she'll regret what she said.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Get my boi Kurt an X-Men belt to complete his look.

But yeah, another banger episode.

Ummm…Deathbird didn't need to put so much emphasis on Milky Way Ghetto. I took that shit personally.

There are so many big and small ways you can tell that there are PoC in this writers room. Because that line took me out.

She just called us poor and low class.
Beat me to it, but yeah. That stood out to me in way that said "Yeah, Black folks were involved in writing this".

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Another great episode! Those Storm scenes were so epic! Charles literally schooling the colonizers was so so good. Wasn't expecting the Genosha villain reveal, but will be interesting to see what's going on there. Still holding out hope for Cassandra or Bastian to show up.

This episode's schooling of anti-colonialism is fucking awesome.

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
Most I've ever cared about a cosmic X-Men adventure.

Another great episode, though I wish we got to see more of Storm's awesome 80s punk costume.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

The second that council member said "Even if we were to agree, your idealism would confuse our people. They might even call it nonsense." I was just thinking they nailed white people and their denial of colonialism. Even liberal white people who are anti-racist will still be massively pro-colonialist because they think it threatens their wealth and status.

So how you guys feel about Sinister likely being behind the attack?
I'm tempted to be a little disappointed but it depends on where it goes. Animated Sinister was obviously adapted from his original 90s comic form. Who was a somewhat simple megalomaniacal villain. After all, he was originally meant to be a literal cartoon character - a kid's idea of a super villain.

Since then Essex/Sinister has become many more things with bigger ambitions and more thoughtful schemes. I'm wondering if we're about to see Sinister rapidly evolve into something more like his current form from comics.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Most I've ever cared about a cosmic X-Men adventure.

Another great episode, though I wish we got to see more of Storm's awesome 80s punk costume.

Yup. As someone who has never been a particular fan of Cosmic Marvel, this is the closest I've ever come to giving a shit about it. Using cosmic stories to aid in the development of more realistic Earthbound conflicts is the only way to get me interested. High-minded sci-fi puts me to sleep.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Deathbird was so racist goddamn

What got me more than the "Milky Way Ghetto" was that she also looked down on Charles for being a mutant smh

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode, though having Kurt in the opening credits is such a tease for next week. I'm so glad the show went with the week-to-week intro changes, I'm always a sucker for that and using it to narratively tie in with the team roster is brilliant. Seeing the MCU-style magic rune circle with Forge was interesting, aside from I guess Shadow King I don't really remember any magic from the original show so the use of the current visual language was a smart choice.

One aspect that I continue to appreciate is that this isn't some new thing, since it continues off the original run you can get lines like the one about Emperor D'ken and appreciate the full scope of events that they went through, or last week with the Morlocks being around you build off previous events, or with Jubilee's Mojo adventure. Going "surprise, Xavier is alive and consort to the leader of a space empire" just works since we saw their love blossom in previous seasons, it's not totally out of left field. Not starting from X-Men scratch gives so much leeway for them to hit the ground running like they have been.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode, we got Nightcrawler on the team finally

at-what-cost-what-for.gif

Also, Am I the only one who prefers Storm's white costume? The Mohawk needed to go but no that costume!

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
What was that blue/yellow tactical Wolverine in the opening next to Bishop? I'm not too familiar with the 90s show or pre-2000s X-Men.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about Storm getting her power back was beautiful.

Between countries refusing Genoshan refugees and Xavier saying in no uncertain terms that assimilation is death, I really hope this is setting up for Utopia in future seasons.

KURT!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
What was that blue/yellow tactical Wolverine in the opening next to Bishop? I'm not too familiar with the 90s show or pre-2000s X-Men.

That's from the One Man's Worth two-parter. It's basically a proto-Age of Apocalypse.

marvel-90s-cartoons.fandom.com

One Man's Worth Part 1

This is the second episode of the fourth season of X-Men: The Animated Series. Protagonists: Bishop Shard (first appearance) Wolverine Storm Forge Professor X Antagonists: Trevor Fitzroy (first appearance) Bantam (first appearance) Master Mold Nimrod Avengers (only appearance) Captain America...