• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaine_Parker

Jan 17, 2022
Also speaking of Deathbird, I've always found it amusing how she has always had an air of genetic superiority about her, given that her wings are actually a result of the recessive shi'ar genes that call back to her race's avian ancestry.
Hell, that's pretty much the reason she was overlooked to be next in line for the throne despite being older than Lilandra.
But then again, that's the thing with supremacists right; They're ability to be completely unaware of their own hypocrisy, lol.

I think the number one reason we're seeing the Shi'ar storyline adapted right now is so that Xavier can express the "assimilation is death" ideal he showed off here. Coexistence only works if it's COexistence, not existence at the expense of one group or another. A unification that comes at the cost of any of the cultures being unified is not unification. It's a jingoistic lie that the victors tell themselves - conveniently, just like the lie that "tolerance" is enough.

And our season finale's title is, fittingly, "Tolerance is Extinction".

Yeah that could definitely be the case for sure. If Xavier does come back to earth permanently; he needs to not stay with the x-men, though.
He can't go back to him just being the head of the team again.
He never could in the books, and if the writers try to do that in this series, I think they will severely undercut Cyclops' character development trajectory if he does.
Or, he could voluntarly step aside and just serve as council to the x-men should they need advice.
Eh. It's too early to bring him back. I wish they would have began this plot point in the second season instead.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just started the episode but I want to just say, once more, is I just want the production team to acknowledge the Japanese theme song / intro SOMEWHERE this season. Please.

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
That's from the One Man's Worth two-parter. It's basically a proto-Age of Apocalypse.

marvel-90s-cartoons.fandom.com

One Man's Worth Part 1

This is the second episode of the fourth season of X-Men: The Animated Series. Protagonists: Bishop Shard (first appearance) Wolverine Storm Forge Professor X Antagonists: Trevor Fitzroy (first appearance) Bantam (first appearance) Master Mold Nimrod Avengers (only appearance) Captain America...
Ah okay! I like the design.

It reminds me of Ultimate Wolverine.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
That's from the One Man's Worth two-parter. It's basically a proto-Age of Apocalypse.

marvel-90s-cartoons.fandom.com

One Man's Worth Part 1

This is the second episode of the fourth season of X-Men: The Animated Series. Protagonists: Bishop Shard (first appearance) Wolverine Storm Forge Professor X Antagonists: Trevor Fitzroy (first appearance) Bantam (first appearance) Master Mold Nimrod Avengers (only appearance) Captain America...

This episode also features the amazing moment where Storm laughs off racism based on skin color. Like "how quaint".

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
First meh ep for me, only because each plotline deserved it's own ep.

Oct 27, 2017
"Descended from simians"
"Not even a pure Terran, he's a mutant"
"Milky Way ghetto"

- Don't matter if you and your people saved the galaxy. You still a ni- Terran (with a hard -n to boot).

Ronan calling Deathbird a pigeon had me howling tho

also praise be for the return of full haired goddess Storm, I was never a fan of the mohawk Storm design

Oct 27, 2017

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
With Xavier learning about Genosha, I thought they were setting up the early stages for
Onslaught
yeah, I thought the same. With a bit of making shit up, you could even somewhat pretend to make up Onslaught's face on one of the space blots in the Gambit scene. But it would be way too unrecognizable to actually claim it as a hint so it's probably not.

(The globe did spin all purple-y though)

The animation on the Adversary was fucking top notch. Holy shit What If's animation is embarrassing at this point.

lol no it's not. Why are y'all turning literally anything and everything into some kind of fan fight? Both animation styles and even art styles are completely differnent, and both look great. X-Men obviously better, 'cause you can see the hand-drawn love, but that doesn't make anything else worse.

Kaine_Parker

Jan 17, 2022
Massive props too for Storms' costume change.
I actually hope that more x-men undergo some semi-permanent costume changes too. Not just her.
I'm really bored to death with the Jim Lee costumes. Especially Cyclops's one.
Would love to see a Utopia era costumer of the x-men leader, or even crazier (maybe in the second season), his red mutant revolutionary costume.

Ronan calling Deathbird a pigeon had me howling tho

Yeah, that was a sic-burn.
Although the term "bin-chicken" would have been more apt for Deathbird, I don't think they have those in Chandilar.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
"Let them thunder, for I am lightning!" 😭

I need the OST for this show, now!

While I would have liked both parts of this story to be their own episode, I do like that they're thematically linked. You can tell the writers were cooking a 10-course meal with this show.

This show has gotten me very fearful of the MCU X-Men. There ain't no way Feige and Disney will allow that movie to go this hard.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Storm can make costumes out of lightning?
Damn straight

u4nc19v4ucn51.gif

Rule of cool, baby

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just voice some appreciation for how well they animated Gladiator, btw? It's clear the animation team took a TON of inspiration from the way Superman was animated in Justice League/JLU, with the slow walks, the super-fast dash punches, etc. That's just "animated Superman" to a T.

Like that's always been what Gladiator IS since all the way back in the 70s, but seeing those connections drawn so clearly makes me smile.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Storm sure came back quickly lol. Also, refresh my memory. When Xavier fucked off to the space at the end of OG run - I assume none if the X-Men knew he was technically alive?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
First meh ep for me, only because each plotline deserved it's own ep.
On the other side of this one, man. This show is finally cooking. The pacing literally feels like a different show now. The writers have always delivered bars every episode, usually from Magneto, but now the scene pacing is slower. The act breaks better placed. More on par with the council episode of episode 5, or the Jean/storm quiet conversation of episode 3.

My favorite element about the 80s X-Men was how subplots were seeded and paid off. Also, how characters' philosophies and deeper opinions were allowed to be said aloud and to each other. Basically just given time to breathe.

The old cartoon just didn't have the writing as it was aimed for teens. The first 4 eps were pretty, but way too fast and crammed. 5 was great. But if the rest of the show feels like 6 with buildups to 5? Yeah…this is a different show now.

That classroom writing was excellent. The only tragedy of the episode is the loss of new storm hair for classic storm. Also, I love that Storm has her own theme music. If they chill out on her self-hype speeches, even better. Also, I think the actress's voice for Ororo has aged a bit too much.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Can I just voice some appreciation for how well they animated Gladiator, btw? It's clear the animation team took a TON of inspiration from the way Superman was animated in Justice League/JLU, with the slow walks, the super-fast dash punches, etc. That's just "animated Superman" to a T.

Like that's always been what Gladiator IS since all the way back in the 70s, but seeing those connections drawn so clearly makes me smile.
I'd just as easily say how immensely satisfying it is to see these characters paired with great action staging.

The old show already suffered from the inconsistent animation, but goddamn, so many of the fights were just people limply knocking eachother from one side of the room to the other with no impact or velocity.

So much care is being put here to making the action pop.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
First episode that got me "meh". Storm stuff was fine but I find Charles so boring I was just waiting for the episode to be done with his drama.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this episode has to have put to bed the theory that Cable is going to undo everything next week, right?

Stupid question: how did Storm get her powers back?
Forge's machine worked and restored them back in episode 4. It was her own mind stopping them from working, which then manifested as the Adversary.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Without spoilers, can someone reply to this and tell me how good the episode was? Cant watch tonight , but cant stop thinking about this show lol.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Without spoilers, can someone reply to this and tell me how good the episode was? Cant watch tonight , but cant stop thinking about this show lol.

I think it was good. Maybe closer to an episode 4. Half Storm continuing her struggles, half intergalactic politics. Not as exciting as episode 5 but there's tons of emotional heart and some great moments.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, this series proves that we need Black directors & writers for the MCU X-Men movie(s).

I honestly want this to runs its course before even thinking about the xmen in the MCU. It wouldn't be fair on any live action movies to go up against this. As has been said, full animated movie(s) with Spiderverse budget would be great to have at the end of the series.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly want this to runs its course before even thinking about the xmen in the MCU. It wouldn't be fair on any live action movies to go up against this. As has been said, full animated movie(s) with Spiderverse budget would be great to have at the end of the series.
Understandable, the '97 crew has been cooking since Day 0.

Though speaking of live-action, I have a sinking suspicion that we're gonna see Maria Rambeau as Binary in this series.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Man, I was hyped to see Nightcrawler get his own intro splash. Can't wait to see how he's incorporated in the coming episodes.