• Yes

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • No

Votes: 121 69.1%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Spoilers for X-Men 97 upcoming episodes:

So given what has happened in X-Men 97 throughought the series is there anyway for Magneto to NOT be in the right?

I mean really Magneto decided to try it Xavier's way and willingly submitted himself to the UN to be tried and even when the place was attacked and it saw Storm lose her powers, when he had the chance he ultimately chose to give humanity another chance while also asking them to adhere to Xavier's dream and not let him down.

YET despite mutants deciding to form their own nation just to be themselves and Magneto content with ruling that nation peacefully and having it be recognized by the UN, the place faces a genocidal attack....and it turns out the attack was done by Bastion who is in cahoots with people the X-Men thought were allies such as Val Cooper and they are literally making sleeper sentinels in civilians to attack mutants, so they can't even be safe in broad daylights.

The latest episode had Wolverine say Magneto declared way like it's a bad thing....but humanity has already declared it a LONG time ago and he's just doing the right thing and fighting back.

So how could he NOT be right?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for X-Men 97 upcoming episodes:

So given what has happened in X-Men 97 throughought the series is there anyway for Magneto to NOT be in the right?

I mean really Magneto decided to try it Xavier's way and willingly submitted himself to the UN to be tried and even when the place was attacked and it saw Storm lose her powers, when he had the chance he ultimately chose to give humanity another chance while also asking them to adhere to Xavier's dream and not let him down.

YET despite mutants deciding to form their own nation just to be themselves and Magneto content with ruling that nation peacefully and having it be recognized by the UN, the place faces a genocidal attack....and it turns out the attack was done by Bastion who is in cahoots with people the X-Men thought were allies such as Val Cooper and they are literally making sleeper sentinels in civilians to attack mutants, so they can't even be safe in broad daylights.

The latest episode had Wolverine say Magneto declared way like it's a bad thing....but humanity has already declared it a LONG time ago and he's just doing the right thing and fighting back.

So how could he NOT be right?
I mean he did just set of a global EMP that has likely killed thousands of innocent people.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's likely killed hundreds of thousands to millions in his response between everyone flying on planes, lack of power likely for weeks in many cities leaving many to fend with the elements, and killed many mutants that may be susceptible to the effects of electro magnetic powers. Also likely knocked out many emergency services and left people with no way of contacting.

I'd also say keep in mind the show runner himself doesn't believe magneto was right and sees Emma frost as the most correct worldview

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i mean it really depends on how the show decides to characterize the fallout from the global EMP.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
people blinded by floating half-naked Magneto that they forget he killed people

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
also if the global EMP is what Cable meant when he said "the fallout from Genosha" then yeah, Mags was Big Wrong

people blinded by floating half-naked Magneto that they forget he killed people

i'm sorry doc do you think you're really in a position to be pointing fingers right now

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, in the X-Men world Magneto was always right: humans will always hate mutants and they need to fight to survive. It's just his methods suck and he's approaching this wrong, like usual.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the question being raised is if a genocide is ever committed against your own people is it okay to commit a genocide of an equal or greater level?

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Basically the question being raised is if a genocide is ever committed against your own people is it okay to commit a genocide of an equal or greater level?

How is he commiting genocide? He made the planet powerless. It affects humans and mutants. Most mutants need power, too. He pushed the barrel of the gun away from the mutant races head.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
How is he commiting genocide? He made the planet powerless. It affects humans and mutants. Most mutants need power, too. He pushed the barrel of the gun away from the mutant races head.
He killed hundreds of thousands to millions of humans in one attack and it's pretty clear his primary target was humans. That he killed some mutants too likely was unfortunate collateral.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is what Magneto did in any way comparable to what was happening to mutants. We flat out get to see where the world is heading if Bastion and the Prime Sentinels aren't stopped. The deaths caused by the EMP are unfortunately necessary collateral.

He killed hundreds of thousands to millions of humans in one attack and it's pretty clear his primary target was humans. That he killed some mutants too likely was unfortunate collateral.
His primary target was the sleeper cell death machines positioned around the world.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Magneto saved all the mutants but killed tons of humans. He was right for saving his species. The humans were never going to protect mutants. Even the one human who was at Genosha and was their "ally", Val Cooper, was literally in league with Bastion.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How is what Magneto did in any way comparable to what was happening to mutants. We flat out get to see where the world is heading if Bastion and the Prime Sentinels aren't stopped. The deaths caused by the EMP are unfortunately necessary collateral.

His primary target was the sleeper cell death machines positioned around the world.

The show seems to indicate that most humans are infected now, right?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like "he was targeting the terrorists but also killed a bunch of civilians" is perhaps not the best defense of his actions

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He had time to fly to the North Pole. He could have done localized saving and not knocked out the entire planet. The goal was the destruction not saving mutants.

The human sentinels were chewing up the mutant race like a buzzsaw. I assumed he went to the north pole as he had to broadcast his emp along the magnetic pole for physics reasons.

Oct 28, 2017
In this case, moreso than in anything else I have ever watched . Right and wrong are just points of view. He tried to do better and was setup to fall from the highest of peaks. From his point of view, he was given no choice. In his own words, "Never Again."

I can already see the response from Cap and T'challa and others that will take umbrage with this.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
On one side, that is what happens when you pull that shit of killing an entire country with giant robots of death after the guy made a point that he is going to try and be better

On the other, the the same guy just went full "fuck this planet" and probably killed a bunch of innocent people

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The problem with magneto's idea is that it is at its core, prejudice.
It puts the burden of evil not on evil people, but on the entirety of that group of people.

and bastion is a mutant

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Magneto's powers are stronger at the Earth's poles due to how magnetism works.
That's the justification Magneto will likely go with sure but
1. At this point, Bastion is targeting the x-men specifically at this point under the justification they lied about Xavier and killed a human. He could have saved Jubilee and Sunspot then joined the rest of the xmen and fought the prime sentinels in a localized manner.
2. He's now killed more than he saved. In essence he killed hundreds of thousands to save less than 10. It's pretty clear it's not defense but retribution.

He did nothing wrong. Bastion and his co-conspirators are responsible for the casualties. Magneto had to do what he did.
This, really.

There was no logistical or technological method that Bastion's countless seeded Sentinels could be stopped quickly. They would have kept murdering every remaining mutant left alive. Remember that the Prime Sentinels got activated early by the worldwide Cerebro probe. All at the same time.

Bastion set up the doomsday scenario. Magneto had to choose between letting all remaining mutants die or killing an alternative set of innocents. A total Sophie's Choice situation.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably important to note that the Prime Sentinels didn't actually seem to kill any mutants, which I feel like is gonna play into how the world responds to what Magneto did.

Honestly worried that it's all gonna turn out to have been part of Bastian's plan all along, which is why he kept Magneto alive and tortured him in that specific way, because he wanted to provoke a big attack out of Magneto.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was made clear that Bastion's sentinels were attacking all mutants. They attacked the X-Men and Jubes and Sunspot (who were arrested, not killed).

There was no logistical or technological method that Bastion's countless seeded Sentinels could be stopped quickly. They would have kept murdering every remaining mutant left alive.

They didn't murder Jubilee or Sunspot. Was genocide really what was happening?

May 26, 2018
It's probably important to note that the Prime Sentinels didn't actually seem to kill any mutants, which I feel like is gonna play into how the world responds to what Magneto did.

Honestly worried that it's all gonna turn out to have been part of Bastian's plan all along, which is why he kept Magneto alive and tortured him in that specific way, because he wanted to provoke a big attack out of Magneto.

I mean, that's got to be it, right? We saw the future Cable's from. Humanity converted into sentinels and mutantkind their slave labor.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

It's what he was born for.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
That's the justification Magneto will likely go with sure but
1. At this point, Bastion is targeting the x-men specifically at this point under the justification they lied about Xavier and killed a human. He could have saved Jubilee and Sunspot then joined the rest of the xmen and fought the prime sentinels in a localized manner.
2. He's now killed more than he saved. In essence he killed hundreds of thousands to save less than 10. It's pretty clear it's not defense but retribution.

1. Magneto does not have near perfect information like the audience
2. It is not clear if they were only going after the xmen. The show centers around them, so it is not assumable that that is the case.

In either case, it seems clear by the episode and Beast's reaction that there are a shit load of prime sentinels. Waiting until they activate is not viable. Stopping a program leading to extinction is fair.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
And what exactly do you think happens to the mutants whose powers aren't useful for being slaves?

I have no idea what was going to happen from there, but that's a different conversation from "Magneto killed thousands of innocent people to stop sentinels from murdering mutants".

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Responding to violence with violence is usually not the right call.
But given that this is a fictional story and the circumstances that they are stuck with...Magneto gets a pass.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Bastion set up the doomsday scenario. Magneto had to choose between letting all remaining mutants die or killing an alternative set of innocents. A total Sophie's Choice situation.

I'm still not sure Magneto doing what he did wasn't part of Bastion's calculations. What was he shaving and preparing him for at the end of last episode?

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I'm still not sure Magneto doing what he did wasn't part of Bastion's calculations. What was he shaving and preparing him for at the end of last episode?
He was probably planning on using Magneto to be the scapegoat of a false flag attack, in revenge for Genosha. Likely in a manner that wasn't so destructive to Bastion's own program. Magneto ended up doing it, but in a manner that messes with Bastion's plans.