• Yes

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • No

Votes: 121 69.1%

• Total voters

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I mean on one hand, it was a genius way to instantly knock out all the Sentinels and save probably millions.

On the other he probably killed so many innocents.

I won't say he was entirely right, but I certainly can't suggest what he should have done instead.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the same continuity as the 90's tv series he had already done tones of shit prior to turning good

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Given he's the master of magnetism I'm assuming he EMP'd in a way that didn't take all the planes out of the sky and only temporarily disabled the power rather than killing power for everyone.

I'll wait to be proven wrong but he didn't really have any other choice.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are going "The Sentinels didn´t kill anyone" as if Genosha didn´t happen like a week before.
Also the only reason the Prime Sentinels didn't continue attempting to kill Jubilee and Sunspot was because they were in front of human bystanders.

EDIT: That all said... did Magneto even know that the Prime Sentinels had been activated at that point? I think his actions were retaliatory, not necessarily to stop the Prime Sentinels.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Given he's the master of magnetism I'm assuming he EMP'd in a way that didn't take all the planes out of the sky and only temporarily disabled the power rather than killing power for everyone.

No, the show's main writer was pretty clear he knocked out planes, telecommunication, and even things like pacemakers and other biomedical equipment.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I believe the showrunner confirmed on Twitter that the EMP indeed took out planes, cars etc.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are going "The Sentinels didn´t kill anyone" as if Genosha didn´t happen like a week before.

right but people were saying "The Prime Sentinels were murdering all the Mutants, Magento had to stop them somehow" when the Prime Sentinels very pointedly did not murder any mutants.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Speaking of, just how much of all freaking humanity are sentinels now? Seemed like it was at least 1 in 4. Which seems crazy.

Also good job being freaking hypocrites, fighting mutants with a race of metallic freaks.

Magneto WAS right.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, just how much of all freaking humanity are sentinels now? Seemed like it was at least 1 in 4. Which seems crazy.

Also good job being freaking hypocrites, fighting mutants with a race of metallic freaks.

Magneto WAS right.

no you see when humanity evolves like this it's different

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with Magneto's choice, because it was a completely indiscriminate attack that will lead to the mass death of innocent humans and mutants a-like, but I don't know what people in-universe expected him to do.

The Sentinel threat against the mutants was absolute. Magneto would never allow genocide to continue against his people, and it is unreasonable to suggest otherwise. So despite not agreeing with his exact methods, I think Magneto is largely justified in his response. At the end of the day, the level of violence he committed with the EMP is not disproportionate to the existential plight faced by mutants.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That's the justification Magneto will likely go with sure but
1. At this point, Bastion is targeting the x-men specifically at this point under the justification they lied about Xavier and killed a human. He could have saved Jubilee and Sunspot then joined the rest of the xmen and fought the prime sentinels in a localized manner.
2. He's now killed more than he saved. In essence he killed hundreds of thousands to save less than 10. It's pretty clear it's not defense but retribution.

I think with the way Genosha went down would make it clear the Xmen weren't the exclusive targets. Plus, Bastion had probably been twirling his moustache talking about his plans to locked up Mags for days. As a quick way to take out an immediate threat, he did what had to be done.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I think with the way Genosha went down would make it clear the Xmen weren't the exclusive targets. Plus, Bastion had probably been twirling his moustache talking about his plans to locked up Mags for days. As a quick way to take out an immediate threat, he did what had to be done.
No, the xmen pretty clearly were the exclusive target at this point. What Magneto just did is give Bastion what Zemo suggested. Magneto killed hundreds of thousands to millions for the X-Men which will likely give Bastion the support Bastion needs from world leaders.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
In this instance he was, I don't see how you can claim other wise.

Mutants (and humans) were under direct attack and Genosha happened last week, as far as he knew the Prime Sentinel attacks were global so he used a drastic measure to stop another massacre of his people from happening.

It's not his fault that his enemies put him in that situation.

Also acting like the Prime Sentinels weren't out to kill is insane and even then what were they out to do? Enslave them?, how is that better lol.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
If Magneto was wrong where have all the human heroes been? Where has anyone's human military been this whole time?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This is Magneto reacting to the fall of Genosh, and then finding out he was played for a fool by the UN. That's the trigger.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Magneto is right but how he goes about handling it is very often pretty uhhh… morally very wrong.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4rpa5557.jpg

"The sentinels weren't killing any mutants. There was no genocide."

The fucking genocide already happened.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
He was far more justified here than he was in Fatal Attractions, which was annoying because it continued the editorial mandated character assassination so he could be the Big Bad X-villain.

Here, it isn't annoying, it hurts. Because it rings true to the character.

He stopped a genocide in progress. It should never be conveniently glossed over that he killed a ton of innocents in the process.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Magneto was wrong where have all the human heroes been? Where has anyone's human military been this whole time?

Spider-Man was just swinging around the city carefree while evil androids are on the loose. A damn shame.

Kinda why I hate X-men not being its own canon separate from the other Marvel stories because the other heroes either conveniently dissapear or they have to be out of character so the pressing issue isn't resolved. Hell it seems the only time the other heroes get involved it's when the writers found a way for them to make things worse

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
When your neck is being stomped on, it isn't your job to make sure you ethically remove the boot from your throat in the best way possible.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Kinda why I hate X-men not being its own canon separate from the other Marvel stories because the other heroes either conveniently dissapear or they have to be out of character so the pressing issue isn't resolved. Hell it seems the only time the other heroes get involved it's when the writers found a way for them to make things worse

I was mostly joking. It's very likely Peter wasn't aware of what was going on until the lights went out. It was just a funny juxtaposition in the show.

Oct 26, 2017
If 16 million mutants on Genosha were really killed in one night, I don't think a few million people dying from lack of life support and crashing planes is going to bother Magneto.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
the so-called millions of prime Sentinels are a drop in the bucket re: earth's population

I dunno why yall are acting like the majority of humans are now Sentinels

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think it was made clear that Bastion's sentinels were attacking all mutants. They attacked the X-Men and Jubes and Sunspot (who were arrested, not killed).

They didn't murder Jubilee or Sunspot. Was genocide really what was happening?

After Genosha I don't think OZT gets the benefit of the doubt? It was pretty clear from the Sunspot arrest scene that that was a performance for the cameras, who's to say what would happen in every dark corner of the world? And even if the objective was only to imprison every remaining mutant on earth, we all know how that goes (from Bishop and Cable's respective timelines).

If the idea was "terrorize mutants until one of them goes berserk" I still feel like that's Bastion's fault (and it may ultimately be his plan to swing the sympathy discussion back toward humans). Magneto's actions weren't cruel or malicious, he probably did save the entire mutant race.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
After Genosha I don't think OZT gets the benefit of the doubt? It was pretty clear from the Sunspot arrest scene that that was a performance for the cameras, who's to say what would happen in every dark corner of the world? And even if the objective was only to imprison every remaining mutant on earth, we all know how that goes (from Bishop and Cable's respective timelines).

If the idea was "terrorize mutants until one of them goes berserk" I still feel like that's Bastion's fault (and it may ultimately be his plan to swing the sympathy discussion back toward humans). Magneto's actions weren't cruel or malicious, he probably did save the entire mutant race.

I don't give them any benefit of the doubt. The position being offered was that Magneto did what he did because mutants worldwide were being murdered. I simply said that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not saying they still weren't at threat from enslavement or eventually being killed. I just think it's okay and wait to see what the extent was before we make logical leaps one way or the other.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Bastion and his Sentinels Genocided Genosha.

I don't see how Magneto's response was anything but completely justified and measured.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
I don't give them any benefit of the doubt. The position being offered was that Magneto did what he did because mutants worldwide were being murdered. I simply said that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not saying they still weren't at threat from enslavement or eventually being killed. I just think it's okay and wait to see what the extent was before we make logical leaps one way or the other.

Can't we use context of the literal Genosha genocide and a traveler from the future who literally states the mutant future to infer that, hey these are things that will absolutely happen without interference?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Genosha already happened. The show will probably never confirm it, but in the comic this was based on 16 million mutants were murdered in the Genosha genocide. In minutes. 10 million more than the Jewish population that died during the Holocaust. And OZT wasn't done. Magneto absolutely did what he did based on what happened on Genosha, finding out the world's leaders were all in on it, and Bastion wiping his face in it that he wasn't nearly done. There's no room for giving humanity another chance, or to wait and see exactly what the thousands of indestructible super sentinels were gonna do.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Can't we use context of the literal Genosha genocide and a traveler from the future who literally states the mutant future to infer that, hey these are things that will absolutely happen without interference?

That's my whole point about waiting. Let's hear from Magneto why he acted.

Personally I think he can acknowledge he performed a monstrous act that was done to save his people. We don't have to make it seem virtuous to also say he had good reason. I want to hear from him.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Numerous mutants were likely killed by Magneto's EMP too. I'm not saying it makes what he did wrong necessarily, I'm saying it's probably super messy

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
On one hand, I fully support Magneto being angry. I think the audience as a whole has seen an incredibly sympathetic view that makes the anger not only understandable, but entirely relatable.

On one finger on the other hand, yeah, humankind seems largely possessed by a Sentinel virus that's making them act in ways that are undoubtedly continuing to bring harm and death among surviving mutants in their darkest hour.

With the other four fingers on that other hand... ehhh we're back to what appears to be genocide right now.

I'm a big Cyclops was right guy, but my interpretation is that Cyclops is about having co-existence without requiring humankind's approval or cooperation. Mutantkind determines mutantkind's own future. Magneto still needs a moment to speak and articulate where his anger is taking him right now (we've not had any chance for him to articulate his thoughts), and that "one finger" that accepts that humankind is kinda acting way out of turn (even if against their will because, y'know, Sentinel takeover) is making his actions feel acceptable to me under the "Cyclops was right" doctrine. Because under "Cyclops is right," I do think mutantkind has every right to fuck up whatever wants to fuck them up, and this counts. But you know, there is an element where a lot of these Sentinel-turned folks are kinda turned against their will and might not otherwise outright harm mutants.

May 26, 2018
On one hand, I fully support Magneto being angry. I think the audience as a whole has seen an incredibly sympathetic view that makes the anger not only understandable, but entirely relatable.

On one finger on the other hand, yeah, humankind seems largely possessed by a Sentinel virus that's making them act in ways that are undoubtedly continuing to bring harm and death among surviving mutants in their darkest hour.

With the other four fingers on that other hand... ehhh we're back to what appears to be genocide right now.

I'm a big Cyclops was right guy, but my interpretation is that Cyclops is about having co-existence without requiring humankind's approval or cooperation. Mutantkind determines mutantkind's own future. Magneto still needs a moment to speak and articulate where his anger is taking him right now (we've not had any chance for him to articulate his thoughts), and that "one finger" that accepts that humankind is kinda acting way out of turn (even if against their will because, y'know, Sentinel takeover) is making his actions feel acceptable to me under the "Cyclops was right" doctrine. Because under "Cyclops is right," I do think mutantkind has every right to fuck up whatever wants to fuck them up, and this counts. But you know, there is an element where a lot of these Sentinel-turned folks are kinda turned against their will and might not otherwise outright harm mutants.

It's a tough question… like, what are you supposed to do? NOT fight the Borg?

Dec 30, 2020
Ehn, if the entirety of your people are being murdered off by breathtakingly xenophobic/racist/hatemongering people, and you have a big "fuck them" button, and YOU'RE ALSO A GOD DAMNED HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR, I see no problems with hitting it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a tough question… like, what are you supposed to do? NOT fight the Borg?

Oh you absolutely fight. I am hoping that this demonstrates that some of the other non-mutant heroes in this universe take a stand to fight them off and defend mutantkind, but I would also expect to see some of them stand back out of fear of hurting innocents or just not really understand what's going at all -- and that WILL (reasonably) have consequences with the survivors among mutantkind later on. To most of the people in this universe that do not belong to the mutant population, this is all happening so fast that I don't think a lot of them are keyed in to the timeline of events that led up to it. And for mutantkind, that's part of the problem.

I think I wonder if Magneto is justified just going all-out balls to the wall with his form of retaliation because undoubtedly non-"borg" are going to get hurt and suffer consequences as well. Other posters brought up that it will probably bring harm to many members of mutantkind even before any of the political fallout from the event occurs.