Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the answers. This whole MilGrau thing reads like MS doesn't care about being associated with a horrible person as long as it doesn't reach its own US shores. I know MS is big, but, surely, they have people in places to monitor how and with whom they are dealing in other countries? This does not give much hope to this case too, unless media picks it up and makes a stink.
Bingo. As long as this dont get traction in the US, Microsoft will gladly let the brand be associated with misogynistic scum like Milgrau.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
And this is what i got when i reported it:
IMG-20201017-201509.jpg

I mean, not even a warning?
Risking a ban here but I think this is complete unfair and I really doubt if I as a Brazilian say that I think that some American gaming commmunity is toxic without any context would not receive a "drive-by post" ban. Bigotry should be bannable.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The whole sanctions thing is a very complex and nasty thing. Some of what you say is true, sure, but there are other repercussions, such as targeting companies that basically support a huge chunk of the economy of a country in question just because the person who owns it has some sort of connection to a political undesirable, who is deemed an enemy by a westerner state. If I write on this issue, it will be a damn scroll, so I'll just say that it's not a simple thing to boil down to a couple of sentences.
Yea there can be shitty outcomes, especially for the average person. They a definitely not good things to do. But yea this isn't the best place to discus this.

But anyway MS really needs to do something quick. I can't see Phil and others at the top being happy about this.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'll report him anyway since I'm also from a 3rd world SA country and can't agree at all with that statement he made and actually think that generalization doesn't help at all.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I agree with the moderator, If a person living in a 3rd world country wants to speak in such self-deprecating way is our right. Rich people from developed nations telling us how to "'behave" is kind of racist.

If you're from a developing country and your only contribuition on a thread about a really shitty situation is a "self-deprecating" xenophobic comment, it rings really hollow. Doesn't matter if you're one of us or a gringo

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
The xenophobia here, I can even taste it. Yet, the mods...

But this will get a warning somehow and not the racist and xenophobic comments.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
let's see how long it will take for MS to do something and let's see if they'll do something at all.
if no one act to revert this shit, we'll know MS official position when it comes to racism, homophobia and chauvinism.

We're looking at your company majornelson

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
let's see how long it will take for MS to do something and let's see if they'll do something at all.
if no one act to revert this shit, we'll know MS official position when it comes to racism, homophobia and chauvinism.

We're looking at your company majornelson
At least for now the Brazilian Xbox twitter account is basically frozen, so I think something is being done, but it better be something substantial.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
And this is what i got when i reported it:
IMG-20201017-201509.jpg

I mean, not even a warning?
So i guess it's all right if a woman says something sexist or a PoC says something racist bc self depreciation?

A south american sayin xenophobic thoughts is just as bad as these i'm sorry. Dude gets away with it cause it's a flag no one here cares about i guess

Nov 1, 2017
This is absolutely messed up. To think a company can become so big that they don't realize/care how toxic one of their divisions has become. :(

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
They fired her... because she got death and rape threats?? What the fuck?? What's wrong with humanity???

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Weird seeing 3rd world expression in post cold-war era, especially indicating poorer countries which was not what it was intended to be used in the first place.

Perfect.

"Third World" was coined DURING the Cold War to describe nations that neither supported 'the West' (NATO) nor 'the East' (cmmunists). In effect, the term was created as a marker for a nation's political ideology - perhaps often pacifism in the case of "Third World countries" in a time of great global unrest.

Plus the nature of the term implies entire nations are unsophisticated and alien and it assumes a hierarchy between countries- and this is also true of the expressions "developed" and "developing" countries.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
So i guess it's all right if a woman says something sexist or a PoC says something racist bc self depreciation?

A south american sayin xenophobic thoughts is just as bad as these i'm sorry. Dude gets away with it cause it's a flag no one here cares about i guess

exactly.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others". Animal Farm, by George Orwell.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Wouldn't seeking legal help in Brazil and contacting politicians be more effective than recurring to Microsoft Corp?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
This is absolutely messed up. To think a company can become so big that they don't realize/care how toxic one of their divisions has become. :(
They let xbox mil grau around for over six years, at some point you gotta realise this isn't a case of ignorance, it's calculated negligence.
They know their public in Brazil

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
So I saw some people saying that they are changing the whole Xbox Brazil to have a smaller presence here like Sony and Nintendo. I can see that happening, but that would be saying she lied on the reasoning of her being fired.

I'd be nice to have a clarification on the matter rather than a generic post like that one on twitter. Does anyone have proof of that?

I'm kinda disgusted if it's true. They've spent this whole time fomenting toxicity on the community via Mil Grau and now they just leave because they created a monster bigger than themselves.

Unbelievable. Can someone clarify that?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a problem. How on earth am I punishing the victim? The victim is in the right on all accounts. I'm saying that there is a cultural problem if this happens at all. I'm not saying it is exclusive to this regions or anything. I'm just saying it is wrong no matter where or when. But it happened somewhere, and maybe the culture where this happens has a huge problem.

Going by that fucked up logic, feminism shouldn't even exist because most cultures in the whole world are very sexist, it isn't exclusive to Brazil.

Planet earth is misogynistic, what did you expect? Let's not bother doing something about it.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Something is definitely about to happen. Xbox BR went to silent mode on social media after the shit hit the fan on friday. Their last tweet is the threadmarked half-assed excuse.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something is definitely about to happen. Xbox BR went to silent mode on social media after the shit hit the fan on friday. Their last tweet is the threadmarked half-assed excuse.

Does that necessarily mean something of consequence will happen, or that they're merely piping down till things cool off?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look Xbox Brazil.... As if y'all looked decent anyways..

Sad times when someone gets harassed AND then they are the ones fired..... Like WTF?

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's dissapointing and hopefully there will be consequences for this. I fell in love with the Xbox ecosystem and i thought MS did a very good job supporting every kind of player, but this is just sad.

Jul 10, 2020
majornelson

Hello, I know you're super busy, but I'd like to take time away from your busy schedule to bring these and the Dealer gaming issues to light.

I'm not going to assume malice, but please be aware that these are two hot-button issues that ERA would like dealt with and done the right thing.

Please inform Phil that he followed on Twitter an Xbox hypeman who have issues anti-LGTBQ statements in the past. Aaron Greenburg frequently have gone on this show and associates the Xbox brand with Dealer gaming.

Additionally, what happened here in Brasil was shitty, and I'd like you to bring it to Phil's attention. Please rectify both of these situations as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

majornelson

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Btw the Greenberg stuff is threadworthy, he really shouldn't hang with these kind of people and more than once he was called out because of it.
I'm actually really surprised that thread got locked without a mod spinning it off as a new thread (if possible?) or suggesting so.

Anyway, when she says "guidance from the global Xbox team" after the Greenberg/Phil stuff I somewhat see now this isn't just a problem with Xbox Brazil.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw the Greenberg stuff is threadworthy, he really shouldn't hang with these kind of people and more than once he was called out because of it.

On the other end though these execs probably interact with hundreds if not thousands of accounts weekly. Should we be under the assumption that they take time out of their day to go through every users posts history? Probably not.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Risking a ban here but I think this is complete unfair and I really doubt if I as a Brazilian say that I think that some American gaming commmunity is toxic without any context would not receive a "drive-by post" ban. Bigotry should be bannable.
You're not wrong. Era pretends it's progressive but it's only when this progressiveness aligns with the world perspective of Americans.

Did you participate in that thread about the use of the term "Latinx"? It was a total shit show and latin american users were consistently dismissed by americans who apparently know latin american culture better than latin american themselves.

And just to be clear: this is not an attack on the moderators, it's not even restricted to ERA. It's just a fact. The vast majority of people from imperialist countries will never ever ever know how it's like to live in a colonized country that was affected by theirs countries imperialism, no matter how "progressive" the person might be.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
At least for now the Brazilian Xbox twitter account is basically frozen, so I think something is being done, but it better be something substantial.

Doubt it. Sometimes Microsoft just sweeps things under the rug and hopes people forget (and people do).

Reminds me of the gamecheat13 incident a few months back.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I don't know how MS still lets Xbox Brasil run. They are the fucking worst. I know Phill will solve this shit eventually. Hopefully soon.