• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, when I tried it like in the video (folding the thing) it just made the buttons mushy and not clicky, when I rotated it it helped for a while (still clicky but went bad after a while) and then I removed them (but kept the bits safe if I need them) and I've been fine since. nice and clicky and no double presses or missed inputs.
If needed, I will try this as my next tactic!

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just tried opening up the controller and tried the following:
-Adding one layer of clear tape(same issue)
-Adding 2 layers of clear tape (same issue)
-Adding 3 layers of clear tape (made permanent contact with the bumper and therefore worse issue)
-adding one leg of paper under the top method(as shown in that video) to the same issue
-Completely removing the paper from both bumpers (same issue).

So I ultimately removed them(stored if I feel like putting them back since it seemed SLIGHTLY more reliable but still inconsistent if I use enough force, but I ultimately think the issue is with the quality of the tactile switches themselves(the buttons inside the controller that registers the rb and lb inputs).

Super disappointing. Ugh.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Third Series 2, third that has developed a double click in the left bumper.

It's just unreal. I even gave in and paid the $100 out-of-warranty to get this one because I missed this controller. This was seven months ago. Seven months is all it took for this to come back. How is this allowed? How have they not acknowledged that this is a thing that needs to be ironed out in their construction process? "Premium" controller.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It really is baffling how MS hasn't resolved these issues. I read they spent $100m on designing the Series controlled, yet it still has issues with buttons not responding unless you hit them dead on firmly.

For the cost of these Elites (and I have three), they should be absolutely premium build quality.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
It really is baffling how MS hasn't resolved these issues. I read they spent $100m on designing the Series controlled, yet it still has issues with buttons not responding unless you hit them dead on firmly.

For the cost of these Elites (and I have three), they should be absolutely premium build quality.

It should also be something we can send in for repair. Buying a premium $200 controller and being told by a MS rep to YouTube a video on how to super glue it back together once the grip peels off should not be happening.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going to try this tomorrow. Will report back!

I was gonna do this, but one of the top comments says you don't need to mess with the plastic square, and that all you have to do is dab the button itself with some isopropyl alcohol to clean it up.

I did that and I can confirm the unresponsiveness and double clicks are gone... for now. We'll see how long this lasts.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My Halo Infinite elite has now got a dead LB.
Time to send it back.
Tedious.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for going a bit OT,,,but are there any Uk sites that do repairs and/or refurbs on controllers? I have a series 1 elite and it's fine excet the grips came off...for various long and tedious reasons I dont have the grips any more.

I wouldnt mind sending it off to someone who could properly glue on some nice grips and hose it with an air hose to give it a spring clean. Expect there,s too much labour and not enough margin in it :-(

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was gonna do this, but one of the top comments says you don't need to mess with the plastic square, and that all you have to do is dab the button itself with some isopropyl alcohol to clean it up.

I did that and I can confirm the unresponsiveness and double clicks are gone... for now. We'll see how long this lasts.
What's the technique? you Just rub the alcohol in between the switch and those plastic squares?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the technique? you Just rub the alcohol in between the switch and those plastic squares?
Yeah, I dabbed a q-tip into the alcohol then dabbed it on the button and into the crevices.

Also, the issues came back after two hours of play. I love this controller! Thank you Phil!

Time to try the actual method of the video and fold the plastic square in half.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just feel so defeated man. My LB has (once again) started to go to complete shit, half the time it doesn't even register, and the half time it does is usually a double input.

I've spent hours upon hours researching other paddle controllers and none of them look as good as the Series 2, especially the paddle designs. I am so so sooo beyond frustrated because I'm actually considering giving MS another bullshit 100 dollars for a replacement, again. Despite the fact that this is my third controller and track records show #4 would go to shit in seven months again. Total money down the drain.

But this controller is so absolutely perfect when it works. I'm just flabbergasted that they've never publicly acknowledged how fucked up their bumpers are on these things. How on Earth does this happen to every single controller? How does it not happen to standard Xbox controllers? Are the bumper mechanisms really that different?

Are there actually people out there that have used a single Series 2 for years without their bumpers failing? Do those people actually exist? Am I really so unlucky to just get a 'bad batch' three times in a row?

I'm probably permanently fucked since my main game is Destiny, where LB is an absolutely critical button. Probably one of the most often used buttons during gameplay for me, so my LB gets tons of pressing.

Absolutely nothing about a Series 3 has been leaked or hinted at by insiders so that's probably years away, so the hope for an improved design soon is useless. So that's fun.

Sidenote: Literal lmaos at the very existence of the Halo edition Series 2 controller. We're just crossing the half-year point since those bad boys came out so if my timeline is anything of the average then those poor buyers will soon have bricks for controllers. And MS made absolute bank on them given how fast they always sold out. It's thievery at this point.

The simple act of controlling my video games shouldn't be this much of a stressor and financial hike. FUCK.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
^ I really feel for you and so many others that are having these ridiculous issues ( given the price of the controller), I've been ok with my series 2 so far but only because I hate shoulder buttons in general and I remap them to the paddles at every opportunity on PC games. It's inexcusable that something that costs so much, has so many problems. THe only reason I got it was for the back pedals but I'm wondering if a SCUF contoller is the better option going forward

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I just feel so defeated man. My LB has (once again) started to go to complete shit, half the time it doesn't even register, and the half time it does is usually a double input.

I've spent hours upon hours researching other paddle controllers and none of them look as good as the Series 2, especially the paddle designs. I am so so sooo beyond frustrated because I'm actually considering giving MS another bullshit 100 dollars for a replacement, again. Despite the fact that this is my third controller and track records show #4 would go to shit in seven months again. Total money down the drain.

But this controller is so absolutely perfect when it works. I'm just flabbergasted that they've never publicly acknowledged how fucked up their bumpers are on these things. How on Earth does this happen to every single controller? How does it not happen to standard Xbox controllers? Are the bumper mechanisms really that different?

Are there actually people out there that have used a single Series 2 for years without their bumpers failing? Do those people actually exist? Am I really so unlucky to just get a 'bad batch' three times in a row?

I'm probably permanently fucked since my main game is Destiny, where LB is an absolutely critical button. Probably one of the most often used buttons during gameplay for me, so my LB gets tons of pressing.

Absolutely nothing about a Series 3 has been leaked or hinted at by insiders so that's probably years away, so the hope for an improved design soon is useless. So that's fun.

Sidenote: Literal lmaos at the very existence of the Halo edition Series 2 controller. We're just crossing the half-year point since those bad boys came out so if my timeline is anything of the average then those poor buyers will soon have bricks for controllers. And MS made absolute bank on them given how fast they always sold out. It's thievery at this point.

The simple act of controlling my video games shouldn't be this much of a stressor and financial hike. FUCK.
Apex. Halo Wars 2 and Elden Ring took a toll on my RB. My Xbox Elite 2 has a barely working RB and gritty RT. Pulled that controller from use and took my PC Elite 2 (which has barely any use) and made it my Xbox Elite 2. After just a month or so the RB on it is barely working. Abysmal build quality. Once I use my Best Buy warranty on these 2 I'll be on Elites 5 and 6.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

Have you tried cleaning the bumper out with contact cleaner by the way?

I did actually manage to recover my LB button this year by doing that as my warranty had run out by that point. Some people suggest taking it apart to do it more effectively but I did manage to do it without by spraying in plenty of the stuff into the bumper while pressing it in and out etc.

Worth a shot if you haven't tried it since it can save having to drop more money on another one.

Nightmare build quality though, never had so many issues with a controller so soon. Mine still has the weird A button issues where pressing it at certain angles sometimes cause it to not input but at least I've kind of gotten used to that and can avoid it. I did try fixing that one too as some people suggested putting tape in certain spots can solve it, but didn't manage to solve it too well.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you've probably thought of this but have you thought of putting LB on one of the paddles? Or you use that for other stuff?

FWIW, I hear pretty good things about scuf controllers.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent hours upon hours researching other paddle controllers and none of them look as good as the Series 2, especially the paddle designs.
I've had the wired 8bitdo Pro 2 for a few months now and don't miss much from the Elite 2. I only ever used two paddles so losing two was fine. I never used the extra analog stick toppers. I thought losing the anti-friction analog gates would be a bigger deal, but I barely notice the difference now. The hair trigger option was nice on the Elite; I kind of wish the Pro 2 had digital triggers since I so rarely play driving games now. That said, they're fine triggers, just not as "solid" feeling as Xbox ones.

The Pro 2's micro-switched paddles are well placed and feel good to press. They are a bit loose in the shell; you have to get used to them wobbling a little under your fingers. Select can be a bit of a reach for my thumb, but I've gotten used to loosening my grip slightly to get to it. The Dpad, face buttons and shoulder buttons are all great feeling. Very tactile and responsive. I wish the Xbox pads got those basics as right as 8bitdo has.

If you can order from Amazon you have 30 days to return one if you just want to try it out. They have the new Xbox Ultimate controller with asymmetrical sticks if you prefer that too. But that one's only available wired for now (and you can't use the wireless Pro 2 on Xbox unfortunately).

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried cleaning the bumper out with contact cleaner by the way?
I did that a month ago and it lasted two beautiful hours before it started double clicking again.

I'm sure you've probably thought of this but have you thought of putting LB on one of the paddles? Or you use that for other stuff?

FWIW, I hear pretty good things about scuf controllers.
That's definitely something I probably could train myself to get used to, but it's just not my preferred / most comfortable playstyle.

The Scufs look SOOO appealing but $230? And a SIX MONTH WARRANTY? That's even more criminal than the Series 2.

I've had the wired 8bitdo Pro 2 for a few months now and don't miss much from the Elite 2. I only ever used two paddles so losing two was fine. I never used the extra analog stick toppers. I thought losing the anti-friction analog gates would be a bigger deal, but I barely notice the difference now. The hair trigger option was nice on the Elite; I kind of wish the Pro 2 had digital triggers since I so rarely play driving games now. That said, they're fine triggers, just not as "solid" feeling as Xbox ones.

The Pro 2's micro-switched paddles are well placed and feel good to press. They are a bit loose in the shell; you have to get used to them wobbling a little under your fingers. Select can be a bit of a reach for my thumb, but I've gotten used to loosening my grip slightly to get to it. The Dpad, face buttons and shoulder buttons are all great feeling. Very tactile and responsive. I wish the Xbox pads got those basics as right as 8bitdo has.

If you can order from Amazon you have 30 days to return one if you just want to try it out. They have the new Xbox Ultimate controller with asymmetrical sticks if you prefer that too. But that one's only available wired for now (and you can't use the wireless Pro 2 on Xbox unfortunately).
This actually looks like a really cozy lil controller. But the lack of trigger stops is a dealbreaker.

After using Elites for seven years, full pull triggers feel awful. So much wasted strength and energy for such a simple action. Like I might just be a weak little baby boy but those two weeks where I had to use a normal controller while my Elite was being shipped back literally started to feel like my wrists were hurting from all the trigger yanking.

I just decided to put an order in for the Vitrix Gambit from Amazon. If I don't like it at least I have an easy return process.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Got a few months left on my warranty on my current Elite 2, anyone can speak to the MS warranty process these days? (bonus points for Australia) I'm curious if I send it back for a dodgy RB if they will do anything, send it back untouched, get a different refurb unit etc.

Last edited:

JeffBruh

Feb 15, 2021
Got a few months left on my warranty on my current Elite 2, anyone can speak to the MS warranty process these days? (bonus points for Australia) I'm curious if I send it back for a dodgy RB if they will do anything, send it back untouched, get a different refurb unit etc.

They will give you a new one. However, the quality control of elite 2 is so bad, I suggest you fully test the new one immediately after receiving a new one.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
After using Elites for seven years, full pull triggers feel awful. So much wasted strength and energy for such a simple action. Like I might just be a weak little baby boy but those two weeks where I had to use a normal controller while my Elite was being shipped back literally started to feel like my wrists were hurting from all the trigger yanking.
On mine I set all three profiles to send a full trigger pull when barely tapping them. It helps by reducing the amount of pull to get an actuation, but doesn't give you the physical feedback of hitting a trigger stop. I probably end up pulling them further than I have to in Monster Hunter, since you have to hold them down to do certain actions. A digital trigger like the Switch Pro's would be a lot better for most game genres.

8bitdo seems to be doing really well, so maybe they'll branch out into the more feature packed high end controller market in time.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017

I am in the same boat (and region). I have a Halo Infinite LE controller and the fucking A button and RB doesn't register sometimes. Considering the limited run of this thing, I worry that the repair center won't send me back the same model.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to bump this thread because the two bumper buttons now only work 50% of the time. Time to take it apart, again...

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How the experience been with the Core?

The RB on my regular Series X controller has also died now. Currently hooked up an older Xbox One controller, which is fine I guess. But it's usually hooked up with my iPhone/iPad for some bed time xCloud sessions, lol.

I've been burned so flipping hard with the regular Elite v2 controllers I'm kinda hesitant getting the Core as a replacement still.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

The RB on my regular Series X controller has also died now. Currently hooked up an older Xbox One controller, which is fine I guess. But it's usually hooked up with my iPhone/iPad for some bed time xCloud sessions, lol.

I've been burned so flipping hard with the regular Elite v2 controllers I'm kinda hesitant getting the Core as a replacement still.

I use my Core daily and it's been working great.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had to bump this thread because the two bumper buttons now only work 50% of the time. Time to take it apart, again...
Well good time to bring up this gem of a thread then --

www.resetera.com

Let’s track our broken controllers this gen.

I’m tired of this crap. Since last gen, each of the Big 3™ had poorly constructed controllers. Xbox One controllers, DualShock 4, Joy Cons and Pro Controller. I've lost count with how many bumpers broke, joystick rubbers falling off, drifting like Tokyo, connection issues, faulty ports, etc etc...

All these companies have shit hardware for the premium fuckyouover price tag.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017

It's a lottery, too. My first two core controllers had issues out of the box with the x button not registering maybe 5% of the time. The second controller also had the issue many standard Xbox controllers have with the audio jack having static and being unusable a lot of the time.

My third controller has been good so far. But yeah, I don't think the core controllers are any more reliable.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a lottery, too. My first two core controllers had issues out of the box with the x button not registering maybe 5% of the time. The second controller also had the issue many standard Xbox controllers have with the audio jack having static and being unusable a lot of the time.

My third controller has been good so far. But yeah, I don't think the core controllers are any more reliable.
What a joke this is. Someone needs to ask Spencer about this.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
After 4 different Elite controllers I finally sold my last one that was working well to someone on facebook for 70 bucks and just picked up and 8bitdo ultimate.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Flipping heck man. This just shouldn't be happening. The 360 controllers only failed on me once and I used those things for ungodly amount of hours. These modern units fail way too quickly and frequently. And for the expensive version to be so riddled with issues is absolutely unacceptable. Especially because they marketed these Cores as improved durability.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for the price we pay for these controllers, all these issues are unacceptable. If there's ever a v3 then I really hope it no longer has all of these issues. The core is just as bad. There is no exception for poor button registration, every core controller has it. Take it into input tester and see.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a big bump but playing with my controller still. I've had to replace the front shell (cheap replacement bit from ebay, no big deal) but now the back shell is breaking...
Top left of the back seems to have randomly broken so that is poking out a bit and literally right now the bottom of the left handle, on the back, has just suddenly warped. It's gone soft and squishy and bulged and I don't know why. Just general random melting from my body heat?

The back plate seems so much harder to replace than the front. Needing a full disassembly.

I don't know why I put up with this controller. In the end I'll probably end up "ship of Theseus"ing the thing.

Oct 29, 2017
Be careful, could be a bloated battery. The plastic won't warp from body heat, so unless you've been boomeranging that controller, the melting could be from the battery malfunctioning and overheating.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
The left trigger on one of my controllers grips and its associated left button is stuck. I dismantled it, cleaned everything, and now the problem is back again. I can't identify the cause. Nothing seems broken or out of the ordinary when I inspect it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The left trigger on one of my controllers grips and its associated left button is stuck. I dismantled it, cleaned everything, and now the problem is back again. I can't identify the cause. Nothing seems broken or out of the ordinary when I inspect it.
What do you mean by grips? The trigger isn't smooth? I assume you mean the bumper is stuck too when you say associated button? If so the problem is likely entirely with the trigger but the bumper is just a knock on effect due to the design being tight.

The most likely scenario is possibly one of the little pads got moved, as that can easily happen over time, especially if you're having to clean it. There's two little pads for each trigger to dampen the sound, unfortunately if they get moved out of place they can cause issues ranging from very loud triggers to triggers getting stuck entirely if it's managed to move into an especially bad spot. One of them is basically on the outer side of the trigger, and the other one is on the back case of the controller just where the trigger "hits" when you press it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought it may have been the suspect so I adjusted it but if it's the culprit it moved around again.
I've found once they become loose they'll keep moving unless you put new ones on. I personally had to make shift some lol. I tried loctite and another brands superglue but didn't do the job, kept moving still.