• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I hated the gameplay, felt super clunky. I hated how every fodder enemy killed you in 2 hits, Dark Souls is hard but at least the fodder is for the most part manageable, its all about the bosses. Surge has like 4 bosses.

I hated how boring and bland it looked, I just... I just hated it Teggy. I hated it. And now, now I hate you. Are you happy?

I felt the exact same when I got it on the PS4. I think I made it to the second level or whatever and just couldn't be arsed to carry on. Such a slog.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked chopping up robots. And the way you could pick your upgrade material by how you killed the robot was neat. And the shortcuts were awesome.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So there are 3 main things that turn me off of a game (besides it just being bad):
- Multiplayer only
- Procedurally generated levels
- Make your own fun/lacks missions and story

Am I correct that Void Bastards is #2 and Outer Wilds is #3?

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So there are 3 main things that turn me off of a game (besides it just being bad):
- Mutiplayer only

Am I correct that Void Bastards is #2 and Outer Worlds is #3?

as far as I know Outer Wilds (not Worlds) has missions and story. Void Bastards does have procedural levels, tahts a weird thing to get hung up on tho, you would be dismissing... A LOT of games these days.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Been enjoying Tacoma, this sort of setting and plot is right up my alley. Kind of gives off Soma vibes, with less existential horror.

With Void Bastards and Outer Wilds coming up, I can keep in the sci-fi genre for a while.

(Gonna get back to Operencia once I finish a few of the games on my plate too)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
- Mutiplayer only

Am I correct that Void Bastards is #2 and Outer Worlds is #3?
as far as I know Outer Wilds (not Worlds) has missions and story. Void Bastards does have procedural levels, tahts a weird thing to get hung up on tho, you would be dismissing... A LOT of games these days.

AFAIK Void Bastards doesn't have procedurally generated levels. I spoke to one of the devs recently when I demoed the game and they told me that they tried procedural generation but it made the stages worse. Like they sometimes didn't make sense and they decided that actual hand designed stages were the way to go.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right but I think it's a library of hand designed stages but the stages that come up in your run are random each time. The stages themselves are designed by the devs.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Tried out Halo 5 for the first time today and just completed the first two missions. The juxtaposition of the first few cut scenes and then action you control is pretty jarring. I haven't played Halo in a while, but everything feels a tad off. Can't say I'm a fan of the new weapon/enemy types either. I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

On the flip side, I gave Descenders a whirl today and had a pretty good time. The UI screams "my first project", but once you get to the procedural generated tracks that is easily forgiven. It does really make me long for a Downhill Domination sequel.
I'm biggest halo fan there is, and I never did a legendary run for 5. I've done it for every single halo game besides halo wars since I don't like RTS games. But besides the sanghelios levels there not to much fun to be had sadly, it's pretty fun with friends though... online friends that is. The multiplayer is amaaaaaazing though, you remember fat kid? Teacher? All those beloved halo 3 game types are here times 1000. Forge community for 5 is amazing, and war zone is great if you liked things like btb and invasion. And the regular vanilla slayer and breakout are amazing as well, maps are meh, but in that regard you joined at a good time. Basically the MP dwarfs the campaign in terms of content and fun, so if I were you I'd stop playing the campaign because unless you want to know why happens exactly in halo infinite there's not much of a reason to play through it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Just curious, which games would I be dismissing? I can't say I have ever enjoyed a game with procedurally generated levels. I really don't like it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AFAIK Void Bastards doesn't have procedurally generated levels. I spoke to one of the devs recently when I demoed the game and they told me that they tried procedural generation but it made the stages worse. Like they sometimes didn't make sense and they decided that actual hand designed stages were the way to go.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right but I think it's a library of hand designed stages but the stages that come up in your run are random each time. The stages themselves are designed by the devs.

Oh OK, cool. Thanks for clarifying. That sounds a lot better. Do you know if there are story elements and missions?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
- Mutiplayer only

Am I correct that Void Bastards is #2 and Outer Wilds is #3?
Outer Wilds is all about its story. Maybe not quite to the degree a pure walking Sim would be, but probably not that off either.

Those do seem a bit harsh for requirements, but I can see how someone could get to that point.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Those do seem a bit harsh for requirements, but I can see how someone could get to that point.

One of my good friends has virtually the same three nopes himself. Really has to be something special if it is procedurally generated to interest him. He also claims he 'lacks the creativity' for games that ask you to make your own way. Finally, he'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming to try an MMO or a similarly always online type of game. He's down to try always online games along the lines of Apex though. Just has no patience for MMOs or really anything that requires you leave the game for information.

I'm quite excited by both Void Bastards and Outer Wilds. I love me a good MMO, love games that just let you... wander, or build, or discover things on your own. Procedurally generated content is hit or miss. I feel like it is too broad an aspect for me to just write off simply because it exists in a game, as there are many many other aspects of procedurally generated games that can drastically alter one game from another.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

well there you go then :)

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anybody else having issues with the iOS app? Mine just keeps crashing to the home screen all the time. Tried closing app and restarting phone but no joy. It worked last week. Don't know if there was a recent update or something.
I recently turned on 2 way authentication and had to log in again on the regular app. I think this might cause the issue on the game pass app as I have to log in again, but it's not going to the log in screen. Instead it crashes.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Just subscribed for 3 months on PC. This 1 dollar promotion was too good to pass up.
Will try:

Wargroove
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
Forza Horizon 4
Snake Pass
Ruiner

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Windows store, pc.......After 100 gb of download (Gears of War 4), total of 133... My download indicate a error and now the system want to restart FROM THE BEGINING! Please, tell me that there is a way no not lose everything that is already downloaded.....

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Windows store, pc.......After 100 gb of download (Gears of War 4), total of 133... My download indicate a error and now the system want to restart FROM THE BEGINING! Please, tell me that there is a way no not lose everything that is already downloaded.....
You may want to sit down.

Welcome to the Windows Store. It *might* find the files it downloaded and pick up from there, but probably not.

Feb 15, 2018
Been enjoying Tacoma, this sort of setting and plot is right up my alley. Kind of gives off Soma vibes, with less existential horror.

With Void Bastards and Outer Wilds coming up, I can keep in the sci-fi genre for a while.

(Gonna get back to Operencia once I finish a few of the games on my plate too)

I loved Tacoma. Downloaded Observer straight afterwards to keep up the momentum.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Good initial impression of the Surge. Like the heavy combat. Anyone have opinions on the depth of the combat? How does it hold up?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good initial impression of the Surge. Like the heavy combat. Anyone have opinions on the depth of the combat? How does it hold up?

It's fairly repetitive but it's fun and impactful. Once you find the right kind of weapon for you, you can rely on that until the end of the game without excessive sweating. A couple late-game enemies will have you reconsider some foolproof tactics but it's fairly straight-forward.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There is a good variety of weapon down the line but the actual combat gets a little repetitive. Mostly mashing attack until the limb chopping icon comes up and then you attack, doing the same animation over and over. After a while of chopping what you need, you tend to just kill them normally just to get it done.

Most of the weapons do fall into a few categories, mainly speed based, so find what suits your combat style and work on upgrading that.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's fairly repetitive but it's fun and impactful. Once you find the right kind of weapon for you, you can rely on that until the end of the game without excessive sweating. A couple late-game enemies will have you reconsider some foolproof tactics but it's fairly straight-forward.
There is a good variety of weapon down the line but the actual combat gets a little repetitive. Mostly mashing attack until the limb chopping icon comes up and then you attack, doing the same animation over and over. After a while of chopping what you need, you tend to just kill them normally just to get it done.

Most of the weapons do fall into a few categories, mainly speed based, so find what suits your combat style and work on upgrading that.

Thanks! I don't mind repetition if it's fun. Appreciate the feedback.

Shugdaddy

Dec 1, 2017
𝘿𝘼𝙏𝙀𝙎

Metal Gear Survive - 5/23
The Banner Saga - 5/23
Void Bastards - 5/29
Dead by Daylight - 5/30
Outer Wilds - 5/30
Full Metal Furies - 6/6
The Banner Saga 2 - 6/6
Superhot - 6/6

New games announced

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuck, that's good.

Metal Gear Survive is something I always wanted to try out for cheap, happy it's coming tomorrow already. Very curious about Void Bastards too, looks very stylish and fun. Great to see Outer Wilds finally available too, although like many I own it "for free" thanks to the MixPot a while ago. Full Metal Furies is the spiritual successor to one of my all-time favourite indies, Rogue Legacy, and since I yet have to play it I'm very happy about its inclusion. I already own The Banner Saga 1 and 2 (fun but not my genre), Dead By Daylight (was a dumpster fire when it came out, haven't played since) and SUPERHOT (one of the most memorable games this generation, absolutely amazing).

Amazing drops. And given how the "countdown" ends just days before E3, there's no doubt in my mind E3 will have a couple megatons. If these are the "regular" games, looking forward to the megatons. Betting on at least 1 triple-A from 2019. Far Cry? Metro Exodus? Devil May Cry 5? Who knows?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
that's alot of fucking games in May overall, damn. And only games up till june 6th revealed so you know there will be more for sure (in June I mean)

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing much there I care for sadly. Banner Saga 3 would be great however, if that came (surely inevitable).

Oct 28, 2017
Always found it weird that they gave out Banner Saga 2 with Gold but never the first, so I never bothered with it. Looking forward to being able to go through it now. Good stuff.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I suck at Banner Saga. Just not great at those types of games, but I really liked the story in the first one, so maybe I'll try out BS2. The only other game I'm really looking forward to on that list is Outer Wilds, but I got that as a free drop from Mixer last E3, so pretty much nothing here for me. Everyone should play Superhot though. It's incredible and only a couple hours long.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Full Metal Furies is really fucking good, get on it people. Deserves a lot of love, even playing solo.

(Some puzzles are v hard though...)

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just got a popup while playing RDR2 that said Outer Wilds was ready to play. It made me update the title and now im just stuck in the store even though it gives me the "play" option. Every time I hit play, it just reloads the store. Is it available for anyone?

I already had it in my games library as owned from a mixer giveaway long ago.

edit - never mind, a bit of research shows me it releases on the 30th. that was odd that I got a popup telling me it was ready to play.

Last edited:

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I played it from start to finish in coop with a friend at release and we had a great time with it.

It's a solid 7/10 sort of game, could add a few more points to it depending on the group you're playing with.
So since I have no friends I should probably avoid?
50 mins of gameplay from Void Bastards

Looks kinda cool. Will probably be the one game I try from this drop as long it's enhanced.

Working on Shadow of the TR and Crackdown 3 rn. So much shooting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.