Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
finished Lost in Random, really liked it from beginign to end. Did all the sidequests and whatnot and it took me about 15 hours give or take. Just a lovely game, with fantastic art style and some actual original gameplay. Also it's just wholesome and fun. Really glad this one didn't disappoint, been eyeing it for ages.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are touch control usually added by the Xbox Cloud team or by the developers themselves? On a related note, Xcloud seems to have improved greatly over wireless for me since I last used it at the beginningo of the year. I can now play smoothly on my phone and laptop where it used to be a stuttery mess before.
It varies for each game. Usually, the xCloud team creates an initial proposal with some suggested touch controls, and then collaborates with the studio to get their input, or hand off to the studio to finish the job. Some games just use an overlay with no game code changes, for others, the studio decides to make the game "cloud aware" so that the touch controls can adapt on the fly based on what's happening in the game.

One really cool thing is that even overlays with no code changes can be really powerful, combining together multiple inputs into a single button, or treat a button as a toggle, or having a single button also be a virtual joystick so you can aim and shoot with a single thumb, etc.

Other games like Minecraft Dungeons and Football Manager are starting to use "native touch", so you can directly interact with game UI instead of using an overlay, but that usually requires more code changes from a game to become cloud aware.

There was an interview posted around GDC where Amir Rao from Supergiant described his experience :-)

Here are two other videso from GDC with the studios behind Dragon Quest XI S and Scarlet Nexus. Both studios enhanced their game to be cloud aware so that the touch controls adapt depending on different scenarios in game:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Are touch control usually added by the Xbox Cloud team or by the developers themselves? On a related note, Xcloud seems to have improved greatly over wireless for me since I last used it at the beginningo of the year. I can now play smoothly on my phone and laptop where it used to be a stuttery mess before.

Xcloud has been great on my end recently. I often use it to get the the weekly and monthly quests for the rewards, but also to check out games before installing them, and if it weren't for the lack of hdr and some macroblocking here and there, it'd almost be able to fool me for a second that it's not actually running on my Series S.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Holy cow, how is Gamepass pc still such a miserable experience. Spiritfarer update bricked and wouldn't start the process anymore. Reinstall or reinitialisation of the update on the Microsoft store didn't fix it.

I guess I'm buying it on a different platform now. I hate this Xbox app.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
It varies for each game. Usually, the xCloud team creates an initial proposal with some suggested touch controls, and then collaborates with the studio to get their input, or hand off to the studio to finish the job. Some games just use an overlay with no game code changes, for others, the studio decides to make the game "cloud aware" so that the touch controls can adapt on the fly based on what's happening in the game.

One really cool thing is that even overlays with no code changes can be really powerful, combining together multiple inputs into a single button, or treat a button as a toggle, or having a single button also be a virtual joystick so you can aim and shoot with a single thumb, etc.

Other games like Minecraft Dungeons and Football Manager are starting to use "native touch", so you can directly interact with game UI instead of using an overlay, but that usually requires more code changes from a game to become cloud aware.

There was an interview posted around GDC where Amir Rao from Supergiant described his experience :-)

Here are two other videso from GDC with the studios behind Dragon Quest XI S and Scarlet Nexus. Both studios enhanced their game to be cloud aware so that the touch controls adapt depending on different scenarios in game:

Thanks for sharing! Very cool stuff. I've noticed a lot of developers have been adding more customized layouts, so it seems the solution must be quite flexible and easy to work with. I'm constantly surprised at how well it works as a person who dosen't play that many mobile games.

Xcloud has been great on my end recently. I often use it to get the the weekly and monthly quests for the rewards, but also to check out games before installing them, and if it weren't for the lack of hdr and some macroblocking here and there, it'd almost be able to fool me for a second that it's not actually running on my Series S.
I also use it a lot on my PC or Series S to check out new games or do some quick quests. My GTX1080 is getting a bit old, so is they ever get PC games on there...

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about 90% through Archvale and i would definitly rank it as one of the biggest gems on Gamepass. The Zelda and twinstick-shooter mix-up works so well and it's hard to put down.

I'm playing on normal and it's really hard sometimes.. would recommend easy if you don't want a big challenge.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm about 90% through Archvale and i would definitly rank it as one of the biggest gems on Gamepass. The Zelda and twinstick-shooter mix-up works so well and it's hard to put down.

I'm playing on normal and it's really hard sometimes.. would recommend easy if you don't want a big challenge.
Did they fix the GamePAss version to have achievements?

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Currently playing through Lost in Random; the character controls a bit clunky and some of the conversation text can go on but I'm enjoying it so far. Story seems original, combat is mixed up with the cards and dice throwing, even though it plays a bit clunky. Graphics are nice though nothing too special and there's a fair bit of repetition, scenery, npc's etc.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I'm glad you're having a good experience with it! I played for a few hours but hit a pretty frustrating and sudden difficulty brick wall which felt pretty early in. And the inventory management UI was just obnoxious enough that by the time Nobody Saves the World came out, I switched to that and dropped Archvale completely since they were pretty similar.

Maybe I'll go back and try Archvale again now.

Oct 27, 2017

Agree. Absolute gem of a game, and there are quite a few of these on Game Pass.

Oct 28, 2017
Another AI Somnium Files update. More holy shit what the hell reactions.

What in the world? Am I really the original cyclops killer?! Don't answer that. I don't understand how Iris could have the memory of those original killings. Is she the red figure watching from the background? But that looks like an adult figure so it wouldn't seem so.

I do have another theory that's a bit out there. The machine is Pewter's invention. I know from the other timeline that he's a bad guy of sorts but I need to find out more. Could it be that......his experiences/memories are somehow inside the machine and the somniums are like a combination of the other person and Pewter somehow? Perhaps Pewter is the red figure.

As for modern day, I have a bad feeling that Iris really did kill Renju. The clues all fit and it suddenly makes sense why Renju dies in this timeline but not in the timeline where I'm with Iris. Perhaps Renju asked Iris to kill him himself and it was planned out together for some unknown reason? Hmm.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
I just finished the mass effect trilogy. I see what the fuss is about now.

This is hands down, the best video game world I've ever played in. I've been gaming for at least 15 years now and this has really blown me away. The immersion and the story's they crafted are just so amazing.

I also understand why some were pissed off about Andromeda. It doesn't compare to the first 3, heck they're not even in the same galaxy. It does not deserve the MA title.

Do yourself a favour - check it out. You won't regret it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the mass effect trilogy. I see what the fuss is about now.

This is hands down, the best video game world I've ever played in. I've been gaming for at least 15 years now and this has really blown me away. The immersion and the story's they crafted are just so amazing.

I also understand why some were pissed off about Andromeda. It doesn't compare to the first 3, heck they're not even in the same galaxy. It does not deserve the MA title.

Do yourself a favour - check it out. You won't regret it.

If you've never played them i'd also check out RDR 1 & 2 and the Ezio assassins creed trilogy, many people who loved Mass Effect 1-3 also tend to love those 2 series specific games as well. and of course Witcher 3 and some of the Fallout games.

The Knights of the Old Republic remake/remaster should be interesting, I'd consider it a spiritual predecessor to Mass Effect.

Also if you never played it the Call of Duty Infinite single player campaign feels like a prequel to Mass Effect, and its very short like 8 hours total. The TV show The Expanse also feels like a Mass Effect adjacent series, and I'm really digging the new Halo TV show.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
y'all shitting on Rage 2 made me boot it up and play it for a couple of hours... I'm digging it lol. It looks, runs and plays great, I'm just running around doing random ass ?s on the map and getting upgrade materials and whatnot, I haven't even gone to the first main mission after you can go out into the world.

You can have my massive /shrug #sorrynotsorry

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad you're having a good experience with it! I played for a few hours but hit a pretty frustrating and sudden difficulty brick wall which felt pretty early in. And the inventory management UI was just obnoxious enough that by the time Nobody Saves the World came out, I switched to that and dropped Archvale completely since they were pretty similar.

I think the difficulty is a little tuned for coop. I've heard that Easy is perfect for solo play and i can confirm that Normal is perfect if you want a real challenge solo 😅 It's pretty bad that you can't change it during the game.

Sadly the item management is still pretty annoying. No way to sell items so you have to drop everything in your chest.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Tried Sable and the performance on the series X is very underwhelming, very choppy even in closed areas, I think am going to try it later on PC game pass.

Also Aragami was a good time, backed the 1st game forever ago but didn't really play it much, played the 2nd game for few days, but after a while, my desire to boot it up again decreased, while fun, the game has a lot of "been there, done that" when it comes to it missions, I don't think I've seen anything interesting or special after the first few hours of playtime.

Still was a good time, as someone said, perfect Game Pass game.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
I think the difficulty is a little tuned for coop. I've heard that Easy is perfect for solo play and i can confirm that Normal is perfect if you want a real challenge solo 😅 It's pretty bad that you can't change it during the game.

Sadly the item management is still pretty annoying. No way to sell items so you have to drop everything in your chest.

I'm a big Archvale fan as well. I did hate the item management but you deal with it. The challenge of normal was part of the fun to me, but there were some pretty frustrating parts. It really is a great mix of Zelda and Enter The Gungeon.

Oct 28, 2017
More AI Somnium Files

Ok I was starting to get suspicious of Boss but woah this is still shocking. Footage of her killing So. Most likely responsible for other killings too, but not necessarily.

Apr 24, 2018
is anyone else still hoping that cuphead comes to game pass
I hope that the (assuming standalone) DLC at least does! In all seriousness, it's a fantastic game and would be a great get for Game Pass - it's one of the best indy games ever made, imo. Off the top of my head, Hollow Knight and Slay the Spire are probably the only two indies in recent memory that I can unequivocally say I'd personally rank higher.

Apr 24, 2018

Agree. Absolute gem of a game, and there are quite a few of these on Game Pass.

I'm a big Archvale fan as well. I did hate the item management but you deal with it. The challenge of normal was part of the fun to me, but there were some pretty frustrating parts. It really is a great mix of Zelda and Enter The Gungeon.
Really happy to see the love Archvale is getting - out of all of the 2021 games that I played in 2021, it was easily my favorite game of the year! (Playing both Lost Judgement and Library of Ruina in 2022, and there's still a good chance that Archvale remains my favorite game of the year when all is said and done). It's definitely not an easy game, but using ranged weapon

Hmm. On a surface level they're definitely similar, but I think they play quite a bit differently. I personally didn't care for Nobody Saves the World that much and dropped it for the foreseeable future (though I really like Drinkbox and glad to see others really like it!), while I enjoyed Archvale tremendously. 100% agreed on the UI being terrible - it's probably my biggest grip with the game. Definitely worth another look, imo!

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
it's actually an hour more, the sales/discounts are now going live at 1AM (for me), and the Game Pass games (surprises, if any, match that timing)

So in other words 90 minutes until Persona 5 Royal on Game Pass

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Just dropping in to say that I sacrificed myself for you all by playing Crossfire X's free campaign and a few matches of multiplayer.

I had a good time tbh. Multiplayer, after some controller adjustments was fun (still only a couple maps which is sad) and the free campaign kept me interested throughout, and the lore was a big part of that. It's a very linear affair, but with all the open world games out right now, I needed something else. I plan on picking up the second campaign. Always have been a big fan of 2000's corridor shooters.

So if you bailed after the failed launch or forgot it existed...I don't blame you. Just dropping my impressions as of late April.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
71wbVV1E-7L._SL1053_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.