• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 357 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 344 49.1%

• Total voters

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
it's a hang up because it's different, which is why in this case i think it's ok that it isn't dubbed. i find it a bit weird that you pull up localization issues in their OS UI and compare it to this as if they are the same thing or that you get defensive/overly agressive because some people think that in _this_ specific case it's far more understanble that there aren't any dubs.
The reason I brought up the UI was because it's a running theme for this company. Like, I might give them a pass for this if they weren't so terrible about this in every other aspect. Bethesda France was shut down today, maybe I should've pointed that out again instead.

And yes, I get riled up when people, who aren't affected by any of this, keep making excuses about things they know nothing about, and even defend these decisions, instead of accepting that it may, in fact, be a bad thing, even if it doesn't directly impact them.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
The reason I brought up the UI was because it's a running theme for this company. Like, I might give them a pass for this if they weren't so terrible about this in every other aspect. Bethesda France was shit down today, maybe I should've pointed that out again instead.

And yes, I get riled up when people, who aren't affected by any of this, keep making excuses about things they know nothing about, and even defend these decisions, instead of accepting that it may, in fact, be a bad thing, even if it doesn't directly impact them.
I'm not from the US/UK, so i'm well aware of their lacking localization and global efforts. I can understand that they suck at it while at the same time not thinking that Hellblade 2, specifically, is a big deal.

Really don't want to push further, but I feel like there's a bit of misconception about what binaural workflow implies. The fact that there aren't many binaural dubs isn't really a testament to its difficulty as much as the specificity of the technique itself. There aren't really many (or any really that I can think of) other things that would require both, because binaural is mostly a headphones enhanced solution. It's not really that used in a medium that does dubs. That being said, as someone who's worked with binaural for VR films, there are different ways of going about achieving said effects and even this developer direct just proves they're also using post processing for binaural solutions, which means they could easily apply same techniques for regular recordings using mono mics.

It's definitely disappointing, but I also think we might be making it a bigger deal by keep going at it in circles for two pages now. Is it as straight forward as conventional dubbing? Of course not. Is it an impossible or extremely costly option? Also no. Should Microsoft have gone the extra mile to go for it? Absolutely. That being said, going further with text localisation is a fantastic step forward in itself.
i didn't mean to say it is impossible, i said it is uncommon and definitely changes thing for dubs, especially with how they did the whispers and more - which is why i can understand why Hellblade 2 does not have any dubs. I can also understand the disappointment tho. Just think that all this fuss is a bit silly over _this_ game specifically *shrugs*

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I agree with the general point that Microsoft continues to lag behind in localization.
Localization is such a personal thing, too - localization shows genuine interest in creating a community outside of the native language territories.

I don't understand how Microsoft can spend billions to grow their studio & IP inventory, then post on social media for months on end to hype a game...and then fail to give themselves the broadest chance for success as the game approaches the finish line.
Then be annoyed that the consoles aren't selling as well as hoped. ...Rinse and repeat.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
The reason I brought up the UI was because it's a running theme for this company. Like, I might give them a pass for this if they weren't so terrible about this in every other aspect. Bethesda France was shut down today, maybe I should've pointed that out again instead.

Let me just say with absolute clarity that poor localisation is a bad thing and they need to do better, and I empathise with people affected even though I am not myself. I apologise for giving off the opposite impression.

That being said, none of us are in the room with Ninja Theory folks making the game, and therefore we do not and cannot fully understand why and how certain decisions are made.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade II gets a pass because it has unconventional and unprecedented binaural audio. Unless for some reason Ninja Theory has not localized written / subtitle languages for all the major/usual languages (that Nintendo/Sony cover). Does Hellblade II have subtitles and menu UI in all those languages? I don't know. If the answer is yes, then Ninja Theory is good.

Microsoft doesn't get a pass for their overall very poor localization efforts. They should get dragged for that for sure.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
i didn't mean to say it is impossible, i said it is uncommon and definitely changes thing for dubs, especially with how they did the whispers and more - which is why i can understand why Hellblade 2 does not have any dubs. I can also understand the disappointment tho. Just think that all this fuss is a bit silly over _this_ game specifically *shrugs*

I get it and I promise these will be my last two cents on this specific matter. I think it's not really to do with Hellblade as much as poor timing what with Bethesda France news and just the general sentiment lately regarding Xbox's poor efforts outside english speaking countries. The latest sales trend and the seemingly non existent reaction from Xbox (au contraire), further alienates people. And then seeing a detail like Hellblade's lack of foreign dub makes it easy to latch onto with a lot more passion and obsession than you'd normally would

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I get it and I promise these will be my last two cents on this specific matter. I think it's not really to do with Hellblade as much as poor timing what with Bethesda France news and just the general sentiment lately regarding Xbox's poor efforts outside english speaking countries. The latest sales trend and the seemingly non existent reaction from Xbox (au contraire), further alienates people. And then seeing a detail like Hellblade's lack of foreign dub makes it easy to latch onto with a lot more passion and obsession than you'd normally would
true, true. it's a pattern.

i do want to point out that we know the lack of dubs since january tho lol

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Hellblade II gets a pass because it has unconventional and unprecedented binaural audio. Unless for some reason Ninja Theory has not localized written / subtitle languages for all the major/usual languages (that Nintendo/Sony cover). Does Hellblade II have subtitles and menu UI in all those languages? I don't know. If the answer is yes, then Ninja Theory is good.

Microsoft doesn't get a pass for their overall very poor localization efforts. They should get dragged for that for sure.
Hellblade 2 has 27 text languages, compared to 20 in Hellblade 1.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I'm not from the US/UK, so i'm well aware of their lacking localization and global efforts. I can understand that they suck at it while at the same time not thinking that Hellblade 2, specifically, is a big deal.
Again, it wouldn't be a big deal if it was the exception for Microsoft, and if they had shown real effort to improve things all around.

Instead, it's just one more example that goes onto the pile.

monarch10

Jun 23, 2022
April 25th, why do you have to be like this? The devs said Another Crab's Treasure is ~25 hours long, which I wasn't expecting.

DYMvZrg.png

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Man they cooked so hard with Downtown DC in fallout 3, the underground system is so fun to explore
Best part of the game for sure, love how dirty and oppressive it all feels. It's funny too because so much of it is built around the limitations of the era (frequent load screens, recycled environments), but it's all implemented in a way that makes perfect sense for the setting. Really unique feeling navigating a labrynth of subway tunnels just to get to your objective 3 blocks away

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I know some friends who will probably be really upset not to have a dubbed version for Hellblade 2, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if they don't play the game.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

MS efforts outside the US and UK are largely given a free pass on this forum (not by everyone of course). I myself was completely unaware of it all that time ago until you and others brought it up. I don't remember the specifics, but you did a post that listed a heap of examples and it really got me looking into it further and it truly is abysmal.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade 2 is still not available for pre purchase on Steam less than 1 month out from release.

Ghost of Tsushima, Shadow of Erdtree and Frostpunk 2 can all be pre-ordered with regional pricing displayed.

No PC specs either.

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
Hellblade 2 is still not available for pre purchase on Steam less than 1 month out from release.

Ghost of Tsushima, Shadow of Erdtree and Frostpunk 2 can all be pre-ordered with regional pricing displayed.
It's not like we don't know the price, so I'm not sure why it's not there yet.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Microsoft just taking their ball home and giving up on anything outside of the US/UK is pretty ominous given their current situation in those two countries, honestly.

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
English speaking people don't understand why to dub games is important because of gluttophagy. It's the same problem as Spanish speakers have in Spain with catalan, basque or galician people when they demand to dub films/tv shows/whatever in their language.

Dubbing these things are important because: 1) it's culture and 2) it's accessibility.

And, of course, once again, Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about this.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
news.xbox.com

Get To Know Our Team: Vanessa - Technical Program Manager (Xbox Everywhere & Cloud Gaming) - Xbox Wire

Get To Know Our Team Vanessa Technical Program Manager (Xbox Everywhere & Cloud Gaming) Hi, everyone! Wynn here again. Welcome back to another Xbox Insider Team interview. We’re sitting down to chat with Vanessa—a (slightly not) Technical Program Manager who focuses on Xbox Everywhere and Cloud...

So, do you have anything you're working on right now you can tell the community about?

Nothing super concrete. But I will say that we're doing a lot of work on the PC-side of things to get better communication, better info, etc. out to Xbox Insiders. So, if you're a PC-only Xbox Insider, I think you'll be excited

🫡😅🙏

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
oh the pc specs for hellblade 2 are going to be _high_

I hope not since I'm building a PC right now and it'll probably be the first game I'll play on it, but it won't be high end because specially graphics cards are fucking expensive here in Brasil :( so I hope I can achieve 1440p/60 with some nice graphics with the build I'm going for

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
oh the pc specs for hellblade 2 are going to be _high_
The fact that we havent heard anything about DLSS/3 or even FSR3 support yet 😅 pls ninja theory drop the pc specs and feature list.

I have a feeling they're holding it close bc they know its gonna be beefy. But the min is surely gonna be whatever series s ish is and then recommended will prob just be series x ish lol.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I hope not since I'm building a PC right now and it'll probably be the first game I'll play on it, but it won't be high end because specially graphics cards are fucking expensive here in Brasil :( so I hope I can achieve 1440p/60 with some nice graphics with the build I'm going for
if you're getting a more modern gpu with DLSS features i think you'll be fine. i just expect it to be pretty beefy because those visuals are insane.

The fact that we havent heard anything about DLSS/3 or even FSR3 support yet 😅 pls ninja theory drop the pc specs and feature list.

I have a feeling they're holding it close bc they know its gonna be beefy. But the min is surely gonna be whatever series s ish is and then recommended will prob just be series x ish lol.
i think it'll have support for that at launch but it will still be heavy as heck lol

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

My guess is AMD again. If so I'll wait for a DLSS mod.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

Joo

May 25, 2018
I get that. But by that same logic, Pentiment "should" have full audio dialogue because it's published by Microsoft but Josh has been clear that it wasn't feasible. For all we know, it's the same for Hellblade given the complexity of the audio experience and the fact that it's not a 200-300 million dollar budget game.
Pentiment is an extremely small, niche release made by a team of around ten people in few years and its budget is a drop in the ocean compared to Hellblade 2. It doesn't even have voice acting in the first place. There's no logic here.

MS has all the money in the world to have the same standards as practically everyone else, and frankly with their resources they could go much further than anyone else if they wanted. To not have audio localisation is a pure accessibility issue and not some creative decision, and yeah it might be easy for you to say when English is probably your first language, but for example Alan Wake 2 (which isn't a "300 million game" and most likely has smaller budget than HB2 considering the team sizes and how long the games have been in dev) has voice over for English, French, German, Iberian Spanish and Japanese.

I get that this is the Xbox thread, but come on. There's nothing more here than the unwillingness to spend the money, and it just emphasises how all the UI localisation issues etc seem to be something that MS just doesn't care about for god knows why. Really no reason to complain why the brand is nonexistent in most of Europe when they don't even have the basic stuff down for their tentpole releases.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
My one tiny hope for their attempts in the world beyond US/sorta-UK is that they have occasionally successfully fixed other things that were atrocious, like their event marketing. They just need to hire the Tina Amini of EU marketing and localization!

(Yes I realize EU is not exactly rest of the world either but baby steps, you know?)

In all seriousness the day they fix "Juan izquierda'd the chat" is the day we will know the ship has begun to turn. The fact it will have taken like 15+ years is so indescribably sad for Xbox that I can't blame anyone who just gave up and left.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I want so much a handheld with the power of a series S and a screen bigger Than 7 inches…

so many games to Play there.
i would buy this day one…