• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I assume like all filming locations choices, tax breaks.

Yeah Tax breaks for sure. I also remember when I did a commercial for a Japanese company in NZ as an extra, a big reason was seasons (opposite hemisphere); since Japan was in winter, they wanted to film it in a summer grassy paddock in time to air it in Japan when it was in Spring.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Thank you! That was my point: whatever happens with PS Plus have no bearing on what happens on other services. I'm not getting my hopes up just because some FF games left PS plus.
Yeah, maybe it does still happen, but just because that's what happened with Persona doesn't necessarily mean anything concrete.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I'm not saying they're not coming to XGP, I'm saying presence of those games in XGP shouldn't depend on their presence on another competing service. MS and SE can fix their relationship without waiting for some games to leave PS service.
I think they are, though. Visions of Mana day 1 on Xbox, Octopath 2 coming and FFXIV on Xbox, all of those as of right now aren't on Game Pass.

edit: just saw that MCD already said it lol

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Sticking EVERYTHING into Q4 seems very Xbox but also maybe something they could try to get away from at some point. 10 titles and what like 6 are Q4. Seems not great.

Certainly not ideal, but short of sitting on completed games (terrible for balance sheets), I don't see it ever being a problem that is fully solved.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Certainly not ideal, but short of sitting on completed games (terrible for balance sheets), I don't see it ever being a problem that is fully solved.
Yeah, it's just when the games are ready. Sony typically leans more on Q1 and Q2 and Xbox on Q3 and Q4. It's probably just how their pipelines are set up. I'm sure Xbox would love big games all the time but the games are ready when they are ready.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
when you have 40 studios i don't accept the excuse of "that's just how their pipelines are set up". fix the pipeline then. i do expect stuff to be better from 2025 onwards tho.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
when you have 40 studios i don't accept the excuse of "that's just how their pipelines are set up". fix the pipeline then. i do expect stuff to be better from 2025 onwards tho.
It's true though. They wanted first half of 2023 to be a banger with Starfield, Redfall (lol) and Forza (and HFR) but that had to change because Starfield and Forza weren't ready and there was nothing else to slot in there. Best laid plans and all that. It's easy to say "well they should have planned for that" but it's not like they can go back in time. Things change all the time and some things are difficult to predict. It takes years to build cadence.

All we needed this year (provided no further delays) was a HFR-level thing in Q1 (I still think Hellblade was planned for Q1 originally) but the fact that we didn't get it won't matter if Q2, Q3 and Q4 hit. It's not like Sony reliably has things coming out consistently. They will have 2 or 3 things launch in quick succession and then have long gaps quite often.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Yeah, it's just when the games are ready. Sony typically leans more on Q1 and Q2 and Xbox on Q3 and Q4. It's probably just how their pipelines are set up. I'm sure Xbox would love big games all the time but the games are ready when they are ready.
There's definitely accountability issues in Xbox though with studio leadership. I agree that the games are ready when they're ready, but that doesn't fly when they've frequently released not ready.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Maybe I'm too laid back or forgiving or whatever but I just think expecting there to never be gaps in the schedule is just not realistic. Every single publisher under the sun has gaps in the schedule, including Sony and Nintendo.

I actually quite like having first party games in back-to-back months in Q3 and Q4 but oh well 🤷‍♂️

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Maybe I'm too laid back or forgiving or whatever but I just think expecting there to never be gaps in the schedule is just not realistic. Every single publisher under the sun has gaps in the schedule, including Sony and Nintendo.

I actually quite like having first party games in back-to-back months in Q3 and Q4 but oh well 🤷‍♂️

It's a bit different when you have XGS, ABK and Bethesda no?

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

Sony and Nintendo compensate those gaps with big third party partnerships - so if Xbox doesn't want to do that, they should fix the pipeline.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
It's true though. They wanted first half of 2023 to be a banger with Starfield, Redfall (lol) and Forza (and HFR) but that had to change because Starfield and Forza weren't ready and there was nothing else to slot in there. Best laid plans and all that. It's easy to say "well they should have planned for that" but it's not like they can go back in time. Things change all the time and some things are difficult to predict. It takes years to build cadence.

All we needed this year (provided no further delays) was a HFR-level thing in Q1 (I still think Hellblade was planned for Q1 originally) but the fact that we didn't get it won't matter if Q2, Q3 and Q4 hit. It's not like Sony reliably has things coming out consistently. They will have 2 or 3 things launch in quick succession and then have long gaps quite often.

exactly this, all platforms have this issue, saying that i do expect 2025 onwards to be different

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
It's a bit different when you have XGS, ABK and Bethesda no?
Sure but it still takes 4-8 years to develop games and we've seen how long it took to get the first wave of 2018 games out, let alone the second wave of Bethesda games or whatever is in the pipeline for ABK. I expect 2025 and 2026 to not have this problem, but even then, if they get to December 2025 and realise that whatever game is targeting February 2026 needs more time, they're going to delay it (and they should) and they probably won't be able to conjure something first party to fill the schedule. It's not ideal but it's also not the end of the world.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Sony and Nintendo compensate those gaps with big third party partnerships - so if Xbox doesn't want to do that, they should fix the pipeline.
They have 40 studios. They shouldn't have to do that. But hey I'll definitely take Ninja Gaiden 4 or Splinter Cell that they could've easily had made by now. But now that you mention it…when was the last time they did that? It's been years

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I am trying to recall the last time Nintendo didn't release a game in a quarter. Did covid get them at some point because I don't remember.
Post-Animal Crossing was very empty, but obviously AC blew up so it wasn't as big of a deal. But people who weren't into AC did complain.

And I acknowledge that Nintendo fills gaps with remasters and ports or whatever else, but does that really satisfy the hardcore Nintendo fans who want big new games? I'd argue not.

At least Xbox has announced games for the rest of the year. Sony and Nintendo have basically nothing.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for that 90 OpenCritic score for Hellblade II. I'm looking forward to 1st party prestige.

I took two days off from work to play through the game. My goal is to basically 1000gs the game quick, while my daughter is at daycare.

Hellblade 1 was my favourite game of the previous gen. An indie game with top of the line AAA visuals. Loved it, and I've been waiting for the follow up for a long time.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Sure but it still takes 4-8 years to develop games and we've seen how long it took to get the first wave of 2018 games out, let alone the second wave of Bethesda games or whatever is in the pipeline for ABK. I expect 2025 and 2026 to not have this problem, but even then, if they get to December 2025 and realise that whatever game is targeting February 2026 needs more time, they're going to delay it (and they should) and they probably won't be able to conjure something first party to fill the schedule. It's not ideal but it's also not the end of the world.

Of course but you can see why people are questioning the release schedule right?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Post-Animal Crossing was very empty, but obviously AC blew up so it wasn't as big of a deal. But people who weren't into AC did complain.

And I acknowledge that Nintendo fills gaps with remasters and ports or whatever else, but does that really satisfy the hardcore Nintendo fans who want big new games? I'd argue not.

At least Xbox has announced games for the rest of the year. Sony and Nintendo have basically nothing.
I think it is kind of disingenuous to act like Nintendo and Playstation aren't releasing games in Q3 and Q4 just because they haven't announced them. It's the expectation that both companies will have games every quarter like it should be the expectation Xbox has games every quarter.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
Why does it matter if the first party games are mostly in H2? It's not like you must exclusively play games made by MS, there are a lot of 3rd party games in the first half.

Can't wait for that 90 OpenCritic score for Hellblade II. I'm looking forward to 1st party prestige.

I took two days off from work to play through the game. My goal is to basically 1000gs the game quick, while my daughter is at daycare.

Hellblade 1 was my favourite game of the previous gen. An indie game with top of the line AAA visuals. Loved it, and I've been waiting for the follow up for a long time.
Don't do this to yourself lol

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Hellblade 2 definitely gonna be the visual benchmark for this gen…or so I thought until Shinobi talked about Gears 6 👀👀

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

What will you do if it isn't 90? Will you still enjoy the game?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

I think you're just being realistic. The games started at different times and are being developed independently, they are done when they are done. Any 'planning' would be thrown out the window because of any minor delay in a games development. Short of holding games back to release at a particular Cadence (which I don't think any of us want) there will be times when they are spread nicely and times when they aren't.

By releasing more games the probability of gaps goes down or makes it more likely that they can get away with holding games back.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I think it is kind of disingenuous to act like Nintendo and Playstation aren't releasing games in Q3 and Q4 just because they haven't announced them. It's the expectation thst both companies will have games every quarter like it should be the expectation Xbox has games every quarter.
For Sony, sure (rumours of Astro and such, and Concord) but since Nintendo delayed Switch 2, it's very realistic that they have nothing.

I'm sure they will release the stuff they've been sitting on, but they might not (and even if they do, it's hardly the most exciting stuff).

Also, for Sony, Astro and Concord will not satisfy the people who want the big singleplayer games from internal studios. They will have had one of those in a 24 month period.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

oooh. i wasn't expecting a console port for this. hype!

Also, if we count Sony and Nintendo third party partnerships, we should count stuff like Palworld.
i do count those. stalker 2, too. manor lords (that's already confirmed for xbox series). imo they are really strong with those smaller (but not so small) partnerships. i don't expect much in the size of stalker 2 anymore tho.

Again, seems pretty flimsy. Playstation funded the games we are talking about that are releasing Q1 and Q2. Xbox just had an EA program for Palworld. Towerborne and Contraband are analogues.
i mean, PS didn't fund FFVII Rebirth. but i see your point. i was talking about third partnerships like those (stalker 2 in the case of xbox, as an example)

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
What will you do if it isn't 90? Will you still enjoy the gamev

I'll feel a bit disappointed (wish I didn't do that to myself) just like with Starfield, but I'll still enjoy the game. I put 160 hours into Starfield and enjoyed it tons. Of course I acknowledge and understand that one's enjoyment of a game isn't tied to OpenCritic, not even a little bit. But I've been an Xbox fan for a while and I just want prestige attached to their first party games.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
For Sony, sure (rumours of Astro and such, and Concord) but since Nintendo delayed Switch 2, it's very realistic that they have nothing.

I'm sure they will release the stuff they've been sitting on, but they might not (and even if they do, it's hardly the most exciting stuff).

Also, for Sony, Astro and Concord will not satisfy the people who want the big singleplayer games from internal studios. They will have had one of those in a 24 month period.
"Internal studios" doesn't matter really.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
"Internal studios" doesn't matter really.
Maybe not to Sony, but to the people who complain about Sony's output, it does. Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade don't "count" for them. The perception is reality at a certain point, just like how Xbox actually did have games in 2022, but the story became that they didn't.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The year is 2025 and Gears 6, Contraband, Fable, and Clockwork Revolution are all releasing in back to back weeks in November 💀

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
^Reading this hurts because I played Psychonauts 1 for the very first time in may 2021, to get ready for the sequel, and I loved every minute or that game despite how old it was, but guess what? I somehow still have never played 2.
Rectify this immediately. Its the best game of 2021 and prob the best game out of XGS since the generation

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'll feel a bit disappointed (wish I didn't do that to myself) just like with Starfield, but I'll still enjoy the game. I put 160 hours into Starfield and enjoyed it tons. Of course I acknowledge and understand that one's enjoyment of a game isn't tied to OpenCritic, not even a little bit. But I've been an Xbox fan for a while and I just want prestige attached to their first party games.
Starfield still has a really good Opencritic score though. It doesn't have to be 90 to be prestige. Fallout 4 won a major GOTY award with an 87. Dragon Age Inquisition did it with a 89. Horizon (Sony) is prestige and it's never been a 90.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

My point is that they can do a better job of releasing first party games throughout the year and we should expect better when they have so many studios, especially going forward. Nothing to do with what one person might like and another might not. They have a sub service they need to feed with their own content. I think they have done an excellent job supplementing it with third party games but to me that should be additive in the future.

I do believe they will fix this. The math is in their favor. But it isn't quite fixed yet and that is all I was saying.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Anyway, didn't mean to cause an argument. I just think flexibility and high but realistic expectations are important. Things are going to go wrong and that's okay as long as they bounce back and the overall picture is one of delivering.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland

I think my main problem is that Xbox seems to be okay with massively delaying games (which is a good thing! Give games as much time as they need) but they also seem to want to release their games as soon as they're in what they consider to be in an acceptable state. Like, I think most people would agree that Forza Motorsport needed a bit more time in the oven. Delaying Forza from its October date which kinda overlapped a bit with Starfield's September date until say January or February this year would have led to a better launch for Forza and a more consistent release cadence as opposed to the 7 month gap in first party releases we've had. It's not like holding onto finished games is some insane thing I'm suggesting, Nintendo does it quite frequently, to the point where they can make up for game delay by swapping internal release dates (see Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3).

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Maybe not to Sony, but to the people who complain about Sony's output, it does. Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade don't "count" for them.

exactly.. sony doesnt care about what people says online about if they have third party, second party, or first party exclusives, sony cares about exclusives and doesnt matter from what studio comes from, when xbox provide exclusive games that xbox fans like, thats mission completed and well done, same with sony.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think it is kind of disingenuous to act like Nintendo and Playstation aren't releasing games in Q3 and Q4 just because they haven't announced them. It's the expectation that both companies will have games every quarter like it should be the expectation Xbox has games every quarter.

That wasn't anyone's expectation until Xbox said that was their goal.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Personally I think if Fallout should leave the US, it should go to Vancouver or Montreal. In the Fallout universe, Canada's a part of the US, so you solve all the issues about iconography and patriotism while still allowing another country through the lens of Fallout

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
My point is that they can do a better job of releasing first party games throughout the year and we should expect better when they have so many studios, especially going forward. Nothing to do with what one person might like and another might not. They have a sub service they need to feed with their own content. I think they have done an excellent job supplementing it with third party games but to me that should be additive in the future.

I do beleive they will fix this. The math is in their favor. But it isn't quite fixed yet and that is all I was saying.
Should they have delayed Forza to Q1 this year? Maybe they should have, so the game might have released in a better state and Q1 this year was filled, but then people would have complained about no Q4 game and criticised another Forza delay. They kind of can't win.

But I agree that going forward as more games are ready, they will have more options for moving things around.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

You shouldn't tie yourself emotionally to an aggregate score like this. As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters really.