• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil
New xcloud mkb titles

Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta)
If you've been hoping for more titles to join the list of games you can play with Mouse and Keyboard support on Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), we've got good news! Beginning today, the titles listed below join the list:
  • Cities: Skylines - Mayor's Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Remastered
  • House Flipper
  • Inkulinati (Game Preview)
  • Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
  • Norco
  • Pikuniku
  • Quake
  • Quake 2
  • Slime Rancher 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • Terraria
  • The Sims 4
  • Valheim (Game Preview)
Add Age of Empires IV, pls

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Botany Manor is great fun, yeah.
I'm halfway through, and we're loving it with my partner. A perfectly chill game to play before going to bed.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
help me, i've started Fallout 4!

GLY21SOa8AMgPn0

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil
New xcloud mkb titles

Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta)
If you've been hoping for more titles to join the list of games you can play with Mouse and Keyboard support on Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), we've got good news! Beginning today, the titles listed below join the list:
  • Cities: Skylines - Mayor's Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Remastered
  • House Flipper
  • Inkulinati (Game Preview)
  • Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
  • Norco
  • Pikuniku
  • Quake
  • Quake 2
  • Slime Rancher 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • Terraria
  • The Sims 4
  • Valheim (Game Preview)
It seems there are more titles than those on the list? Grounded and Sniper 5, for example.

monarch10

Jun 23, 2022
Finished Harold Halibut, took me ~13 hours. A visual feast, but there are several things that drag down the overall pacing of the game.

First is the amount of fetch quests or exchanges of dialogue from person A -> B -> back to A. This is present throughout the game and it is front loaded heavily in the first few hours. If you've played Pentiment, it's comparable to running back and forth between Tassing and the Abbey to varying degrees depending on the task at hand. In a vacuum, this is to be expected with the type of game it is, but things take longer than they should when they compound with other issues.

Second is the bespoke animations for various things and pathfinding for interactions. The pathfinding is more of a minor issue comparitively, but it's always present. Since Harold needs to be in a specific spot whenever he does anything besides walking/jogging, it can take an extra moment to navigate to the correct position (similar to Disco Elysium). The animations are a bigger issue for certain things (like the Tube you use to travel between locations) simply because of how often they happen and how long they take.

Third is inconsistency of some decisions. Certain tasks or conversations advance an in-game day. Some days they will simply end it for you and transition into the next day, whereas others you are made to manually travel back and sleep in your bed yourself for seemingly no reason.

I played on PC and the game froze on me twice, and I softlocked once during an interaction (which reloading fixed).

On the positive side, obviously the visuals are the star of the show. There are several characters that have their own interesting story vignettes and the narrative is suitably weird. Overall I'm glad to have experienced the game despite the flaws.

uVFN8ds.png

foxdm5q.jpeg

W6G740x.png

G8YZs06.png

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
AGREED.

Nowadays, everyone understands how pervasive corporate mismanagement can be but regardless, how can so many studios (industry-wide, really) have such fucked up timelines?

We acknowledge that game development is hard and unpredictable, isn't the ability to not be able to forecast into a 3 month window a direct consequence of that?

Theory

Oct 27, 2017
We acknowledge that game development is hard and unpredictable, isn't the ability to not be able to forecast into a 3 month window a direct consequence of that?

Sorry, I didn't see any reference to 3 month window in the thread- I might've commented out of turn.

Into a 3 month window? Sure, it's reasonable to assume that's tough to forecast given how difficult development is.

I'm more referring to all the non-technology related reasons for how difficult game development is- which, let's be honest, are bound to be mostly the result of corporate mismanagement.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
AGREED.

Nowadays, everyone understands how pervasive corporate mismanagement can be but regardless, how can so many studios (industry-wide, really) have such fucked up timelines?
imo it's the size of the games, basically. AAA game dev (and even indie/AA game dev sometimes, really) takes 5 to 6 years thanks to rising expectations in visuals, polish and more, and when you count so much stuff that can happen in between (layoffs, development hell, reboots, scope creep or changes), well... this is the result. in the case of xbox tho it's self inflicted since they release stuff rushed anyway in Q3/Q4 that could be delayed for Q1/Q2 of the next year sometimes. mostly talking about the focus on Q3/Q4 here :P

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Sorry, I didn't see any reference to 3 month window in the thread- I might've commented out of turn.

Into a 3 month window? Sure, it's reasonable to assume that's tough to forecast given how difficult development is.

I'm more referring to all the non-technology related reasons for how difficult game development is- which, let's be honest, are bound to be mostly the result of corporate mismanagement.

Yeah, I think the discussion came from them not being able to consistently release games at a quarterly cadence.

Definitely a lot of non-technical things that can go wrong in game development. As someone that has had the misfortune of being in management, I am probably a little more lenient on that stuff than most lol.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
it's still funny to me that fallout 4 was criticized for the voiced protagonist, me style dialogue wheel, shot reverse shot direction, and then Starfield went back to the older style and then it got criticized for it as well lol.

Where do they go from here

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
it's still funny to me that fallout 4 was criticized for the voiced protagonist, me style dialogue wheel, shot reverse shot direction, and then Starfield went back to the older style and then it got criticized for it as well lol.

I always liked Skyrim's the most with how it naturally blended in with gameplay, though I don't really mind the Starfield way either.

It was nice to talk to NPCs in Whiterun or some other city and clearly see everyone else around you moving around.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't have a problem with either voiced or voiceless protagonists. I would just change the camera angle during dialogue. The static close up is a little bland. This is one area I felt Starfield was a step down from Fallout 4.

Even something like KotOR on the original Xbox—which had a voiceless protagonist—using a shot-reverse-shot that was pretty effective.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Avowed appears to be doing something like this.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I'm too laid back or forgiving or whatever but I just think expecting there to never be gaps in the schedule is just not realistic. Every single publisher under the sun has gaps in the schedule, including Sony and Nintendo.
Do they? I can't remember the last time Nintendo had a quarter go by without multiple new releases, even if it's a "slow period" for them.

Even in 2020, where their schedule was clearly negatively impacted by covid, they had multiple full-price releases in each quarter.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Maybe I'm too laid back or forgiving or whatever but I just think expecting there to never be gaps in the schedule is just not realistic. Every single publisher under the sun has gaps in the schedule, including Sony and Nintendo.

I actually quite like having first party games in back-to-back months in Q3 and Q4 but oh well 🤷‍♂️

Nintendo hasn't had a gap since the launch of the Switch. They've consistently had a first party release nearly every single month for the past 7 years (and sometimes multiple games a month), which is insane to think about. And there's no indication of that slowing down any time soon.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020

It's not like neither of those can be done well. Both methods have in fact been done well, many, many times.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The problem with the "they release games when they're ready, they can't predict when" thing as an excuse here is that that would actually suggest a world where Microsoft does have a consistent stream of output throughout the year, with huge games like Halo and Forza sometimes randomly dropping in Q2. If the release dates are being assigned simply based on when each individual project happens to be ready, Microsoft shouldn't have a glut of games in Q4 and a spartan rest of the year, but time and time again, that's what they do.

So either Microsoft can forecast games and plan for a holiday release window for them, or (and this might be more likely) they're much more likely to decide that a game is "ready" when it's going to release in the holiday season. I think it's probably a little of column A, a little of column B.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
In all honesty: So what? Do you think the community was happy with the game they got instead? Just because it hit Q4 instead of Q1?

If the person who made the call to release FM in that state did it because people would have complained about no Q4 game, they're doing a piss-poor job. Thankfully, "people would've complained" was never a factor with the decision to release the game in Q4. It was simply a mismanaged project that went horribly wrong at some point and they just had to put something out.

The reason I'm railing so much against this is because it's a terrible excuse and argument to make.

I agree with you.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Will planets have rovers?
Nah lol

I still think it's possible they find a way to make traveling to planets within the same system more seamless/less menu and loading screen-y. We'll see.

I really hope we go to the Va'ruun home world in Shattered Space or future expansions. Actually, I wonder if when they talk about Shattered Space if they will do a roadmap for future expansions like they did for Fallout 4 (maybe with a season pass?).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to get back into Starfield at some point. I stopped maybe 60 hours in and beat the main story once. Not a huge fan of the way the exploration works compared to their previous games. I feel like there are tons of quest I have not done simply because I haven't found them.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
Nah lol

I still think it's possible they find a way to make traveling to planets within the same system more seamless/less menu and loading screen-y. We'll see.

I really hope we go to the Va'ruun home world in Shattered Space or future expansions. Actually, I wonder if when they talk about Shattered Space if they will do a roadmap for future expansions like they did for Fallout 4 (maybe with a season pass?).
I want to see Va'runn city so much in a dlc pls give it to us

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I'm stoked to go back to Starfield. I've purposefully saved some achievements to do when there's more content.

I'm weirdly excited to level up planet scanning and just map/explore every star system to rank up.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Fallout 76 has doubled its previous peak at launch, damn this show is really pushing Fallout games lol. It's a free weekend for the game plus sales but it also had 6 free weekends before and never broke more than 17k players but it's currently sitting at 46k now.

yeah had some insane engagement since the TV show

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I thought of starting Fallout 76, but to celebrate one year away from Elder Scrolls Online I... just got back to it ^_^

I probably overreacted a bit when I quit ESO. It never dominated my life, it just dominates my game time. With ESO around, I rarely want to play other games, but I still game the same amount of hours (usually close to an hour after lunch and another hour when I manage to finish work early). It's such a fun game, I love it.
Yes that sounds like my relationship with Destiny. We all have that game.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
As I understood it, Bethesda said that there would be more expansions besides Shattered Space , right? They're really going to have to do them if they want Starfield to last so many years.
They called Shattered Space "the first story expansion" so you can extrapolate from there, but they've never explicitly said "there will be more after Shattered Space."

I suppose plans could have changed post-launch but I doubt it. More is very likely.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Finished Harold Halibut, took me ~13 hours. A visual feast, but there are several things that drag down the overall pacing of the game.

First is the amount of fetch quests or exchanges of dialogue from person A -> B -> back to A. This is present throughout the game and it is front loaded heavily in the first few hours. If you've played Pentiment, it's comparable to running back and forth between Tassing and the Abbey to varying degrees depending on the task at hand. In a vacuum, this is to be expected with the type of game it is, but things take longer than they should when they compound with other issues.

Second is the bespoke animations for various things and pathfinding for interactions. The pathfinding is more of a minor issue comparitively, but it's always present. Since Harold needs to be in a specific spot whenever he does anything besides walking/jogging, it can take an extra moment to navigate to the correct position (similar to Disco Elysium). The animations are a bigger issue for certain things (like the Tube you use to travel between locations) simply because of how often they happen and how long they take.

Third is inconsistency of some decisions. Certain tasks or conversations advance an in-game day. Some days they will simply end it for you and transition into the next day, whereas others you are made to manually travel back and sleep in your bed yourself for seemingly no reason.

I played on PC and the game froze on me twice, and I softlocked once during an interaction (which reloading fixed).

On the positive side, obviously the visuals are the star of the show. There are several characters that have their own interesting story vignettes and the narrative is suitably weird. Overall I'm glad to have experienced the game despite the flaws.

uVFN8ds.png

foxdm5q.jpeg

W6G740x.png

G8YZs06.png

Thanks for the notes, might give it a shot at some point.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They called Shattered Space "the first story expansion" so you can extrapolate from there, but they've never explicitly said "there will be more after Shattered Space."

I suppose plans could have changed post-launch but I doubt it. More is very likely.
Yeah, I'd wager we get at least two chunky expansions, and possibly three.

An expansion in 2024, 2025, and 2026 would take us to a 2027 release for Elder Scrolls VI quite nicely, no? :D

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah, I'd wager we get at least two chunky expansions, and possibly three.

An expansion in 2024, 2025, and 2026 would take us to a 2027 release for Elder Scrolls VI quite nicely, no? :D
I feel like they'll go the Fallout 4 route and have like two big expansions and then 2-3 smaller things in between.

I don't think they're gonna go ham (at least, any more ham than they have before) with DLC because they gotta get to TES VI.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The problem with the "they release games when they're ready, they can't predict when" thing as an excuse here is that that would actually suggest a world where Microsoft does have a consistent stream of output throughout the year, with huge games like Halo and Forza sometimes randomly dropping in Q2. If the release dates are being assigned simply based on when each individual project happens to be ready, Microsoft shouldn't have a glut of games in Q4 and a spartan rest of the year, but time and time again, that's what they do.

So either Microsoft can forecast games and plan for a holiday release window for them, or (and this might be more likely) they're much more likely to decide that a game is "ready" when it's going to release in the holiday season. I think it's probably a little of column A, a little of column B.

We just came off of a year where they announced a bunch of games forecasted to hit in H1 2023 that didn't make it so it definitely isn't that they planned for a holiday window for those games. I do think they might be more inclined to ship something 'good enough' in the holidays like you imply and there are some games that actually target and hit that window like Forza Horizon (which always launches around the same time).

I think it might make sense for big games that you can use to push hardware/bundles but even games like AoE, Pentiment, Flight Simulator, Battletoads (and so on) have hit in the back half and I have a hard time thinking these games see any sizeable boost from that period.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like they'll go the Fallout 4 route and have like two big expansions and then 2-3 smaller things in between.

Yeah, I could see that. I wonder if they feel like doing the "smaller things" gives them the same pull that it used to, though? They're clearly not feeling like they need to have a new content drop for the game every three or six months or we'd have one already. If the shift is to bigger, perhaps annual content drops, maybe they'll do a third big expansion instead of the smaller things. Even if that expansion is a bit of a grab bag.

I think it might make sense for big games that you can use to push hardware/bundles but even games like AoE, Pentiment, Flight Simulator, Battletoads (and so on) have hit in the back half and I have a hard time thinking these games see any sizeable boost from that period.

Right. There's really no reason to release a game like Pentiment during the holiday season, even though as a huge Pentiment fan I did like that they released it on Xbox Day. It probably would have gotten more attention if it released during a less busy time.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Yeah, I could see that. I wonder if they feel like doing the "smaller things" gives them the same pull that it used to, though? They're clearly not feeling like they need to have a new content drop for the game every three or six months or we'd have one already. If the shift is to bigger, perhaps annual content drops, maybe they'll do a third big expansion instead of the smaller things. Even if that expansion is a bit of a grab bag.
Yeah I dunno. Maybe what would have been "small DLCs" (like the workshop stuff for Fallout 4) will just be free updates and they'll stick to the big story DLCs for paid stuff.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Right. There's really no reason to release a game like Pentiment during the holiday season, even though as a huge Pentiment fan I did like that they released it on Xbox Day. It probably would have gotten more attention if it released during a less busy time.
I think they probably thought that Grounded + Pentiment would at least give them something in that fall. But yeah, not ideal for Pentiment (worked out for Grounded though).

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I don't have a problem with either voiced or voiceless protagonists. I would just change the camera angle during dialogue. The static close up is a little bland. This is one area I felt Starfield was a step down from Fallout 4.

Even something like KotOR on the original Xbox—which had a voiceless protagonist—using a shot-reverse-shot that was pretty effective.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Avowed appears to be doing something like this.

The only thing i wish they would add or experiment with is adding proper cutscenes, i know it's not their style but i would love it to be added some day.