• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I may be too late to the discussion about Hellblade II's dubbing, and I apologize for reigniting the discussion, but I just so happen to have actual info regarding it as I read an interview that touches on it not so long ago.

When our first impressions of Hellblade II went live, the main question readers asked was whether the new game would have dubbing. The answer is: no, just text and subtitles in Brazilian Portuguese, as was the case with its predecessor. During our visit to the studio, this question came up from practically every journalist, whether they were Brazilian, German, Chinese or Spanish.

So far, no Hellblade has been dubbed into another language. The audio is in English only, and localization takes place for more than 20 languages via text. On the final stretch of the visit, we visited the studio where Senua's head voices are recorded, with a demonstration of how the game's binaural audio is made - that is, it reaches the ears from different sides, to give the feeling that the voices are coming from the left, right, back or front, always surrounding the player on all sides.

The demonstration was impressive. Under the command of audio director David Garcia, two actresses walked around the room, dropping sharp phrases into a microphone shaped like a human head. In the game, the voices in Senua's head take different stances. Some are aggressive towards her, others are suspicious or shy. According to Garcia, the process depends a lot on improvisation between him and the actresses - and this is the barrier to dubbing into other languages.

Spanish, from the city of Valencia, the audio director explained that improvisation is a two-way street: it gives naturalness to Senua's psychosis, making the voices sound alive and reactive, rather than scripted and robotic; but it makes dubbing and mixing in other languages very difficult, as binaural audio is an essential part of the experience. David Garcia said that if Ninja Theory decides to dub the games into other languages, they will have to do the dubbing at the studio in Cambridge, under his supervision, to ensure the best possible result.

Original article, in Brazilian Portuguese.
jovemnerd.com.br

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga evolui o melhor do pesadelo nórdico original | Preview - Jovem Nerd

A convite da Xbox, viajamos ao Reino Unido para jogar uma prévia de Hellblade II: Senua's Saga. Confira o que achamos.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I may be too late to the discussion about Hellblade II's dubbing, and I apologize for reigniting the discussion, but I just so happen to have actual info regarding it as I read an interview that touches on it not so long ago.

jovemnerd.com.br

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga evolui o melhor do pesadelo nórdico original | Preview - Jovem Nerd

A convite da Xbox, viajamos ao Reino Unido para jogar uma prévia de Hellblade II: Senua's Saga. Confira o que achamos.
Thanks for the info!

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Honestly, if the leak is true (which is a massive if and I personally doubt), it's probably from the Xbox side of things rather than the Sony side of things. Scenario in my head is that MS is essentially lobbying Sony about bringing their GAAS games to other platforms, starting with Helldivers 2 and that Sony didn't immediately reject the idea and laugh them out. That said I still doubt it happens
The leak is probably fake, but regardless of whether it is or not, I still think Helldivers 2 comes to Xbox at some point.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

jovemnerd.com.br

I think this is the article I was thinking of

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I just remembered about the existence of Expansion Cards. Current price is down by about 25-35%, ish, from launch window.

That thing...garbage propriety, garbage pricing. Still not worth it.

The 1TB cards launched at $220 and have been at $100 or below on sale, don't buy at list price.

I like that they're hot swappable, I had one at launch and when I wanted more space just bought another card and can still use the old one. But yeah they should've let people use off the shelf drives too, or at least gotten the cost down more.

monarch10

Jun 23, 2022
TqGmLyq.gif

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Even though Metaphor looks really similar to all the persona games i will admit the new combat system does make it look more appealing
Honestly the real time combat stuff makes it less appealing to me, but hopefully it won't be too important all things considered…
Still hyped as hell for the game because I love me some turn based RPG goodness

We both definitely agree that it is doubtful, but I think that Microsoft would definitely be keen to A) have Sony's hit game on Xbox and B) signal to the rest of the world "see? It's ok to ship games on other platforms! No big deal!" and that those things would eclipse any other reservations.
Yeah, and honestly I'd be surprised if Xbox execs haven't at least planned to meet with Sony about it too. PlayStations temp CEO has talked about wanting to improve margins on games and talked about multiplatform. Said multiplatform wasn't including other consoles, but I bet you that when the Xbox leadership heard that they began drafting an argument and deal to propose to Sony…

The leak is probably fake, but regardless of whether it is or not, I still think Helldivers 2 comes to Xbox at some point.
See I don't disagree with you, but I'm of the belief that Sony's GAAS games aren't coming to Xbox for at least a few more years, and by then Helldivers 2 won't be included but honestly who knows

Nov 3, 2017
The 1TB cards launched at $220 and have been at $100 or below on sale, don't buy at list price.

I like that they're hot swappable, I had one at launch and when I wanted more space just bought another card and can still use the old one. But yeah they should've let people use off the shelf drives too, or at least gotten the cost down more.

I'm sorry, that was for the 2TB, but agree with you on all points.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
only one is correct (me)

Honestly the real time combat stuff makes it less appealing to me, but hopefully it won't be too important all things considered…
Still hyped as hell for the game because I love me some turn based RPG goodness

Yeah, and honestly I'd be surprised if Xbox execs haven't at least planned to meet with Sony about it too. PlayStations temp CEO has talked about wanting to improve margins on games and talked about multiplatform. Said multiplatform wasn't including other consoles, but I bet you that when the Xbox leadership heard that they began drafting an argument and deal to propose to Sony…

See I don't disagree with you, but I'm of the belief that Sony's GAAS games aren't coming to Xbox for at least a few more years, and by then Helldivers 2 won't be included but honestly who knows
You can choose to do turn based still right? You just do the real-time stuff in scenarios where you are way higher leveled and don't want to do it? Or just want to jump straight into turn based? I didn't really pay close attention 😂

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
By the time PS6 launches, I think at least one or two PlayStation Studios games that are not MLB or Bungie will have launched on Xbox, and one of those will likely be Helldivers given that a game like Helldivers would absolutely kill on Xbox (due to the Halo and Gears audience) and there are very few if any downsides for Sony.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

jovemnerd.com.br

thanks for the update.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's never not surprising when one of the biggest companies in the world fumbles on localization or accessibility. I understand that voiced localization is expensive, especially for something using binaural audio like Hellblade, and usually I'd give a studio a pass, but when you own Call of Duty and Minecraft, I'm pretty sure you can make it work.

Not sure whether to blame Microsoft or Xbox though. Xbox has its whole "hands off let them be them" thing, which is good in a lot of ways, but it'll naturally lead to inconsistency between launches. Microsoft on the other hand, localization has never been a priority for them and I'd imagine they just won't give the dollars to something they seem to think they can do for free with AI or machine translation. Regardless of who makes the calls, they continually make the wrong calls.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

jovemnerd.com.br

Given that their whole thing is "life changing art with game changing tech" this seems like a missed opportunity. If anything, putting in the money/work to deliver this experience natively in other languages would have more impact with Hellblade than other titles since the audio and voices are so foundational to the experience. Alas.

Like you have special tech to deliver your special art and literally only English speakers can experience it.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
By the time PS6 launches, I think at least one or two PlayStation Studios games that are not MLB or Bungie will have launched on Xbox, and one of those will likely be Helldivers given that a game like Helldivers would absolutely kill on Xbox (due to the Halo and Gears audience) and there are very few if any downsides for Sony.
Nah. Helldivers probably won't be. MLB and Bungie are contractual obligations. Otherwise they wouldn't be either. I think the buck for Sony stops at PC. You have to keep in mind Sony is still paying to keep third party titles off Xbox. I can't see them paying to port one without being forced.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Has Xbox paid to keep a multiplatform title off Xbox since Rise of the Tomb Raider? I honestly can't remember. I know The Medium kinda was. But nothing huge like Final Fantasy.
... of course? most indies and AA things that appear in their shows and are not releasing on PS day 1 are exclusivity deals. they dont get huge stuff these days because of their game pass strategy, but STALKER 2 is pretty big. more recently, we just got a Partner Preview with 2 "triple-i" titles that are only for PC and Xbox announced (Creatures of Ava/Sleight of Hand) so they're still doing it too

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Nah. Helldivers probably won't be. MLB and Bungie are contractual obligations. Otherwise they wouldn't be either. I think the buck for Sony stops at PC. You have to keep in mind Sony is still paying to keep third party titles off Xbox. I can't see them paying to port one without being forced.
I'm not going to argue but I very much disagree.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
I think timed exclusive stuff for indies is a lot different than larger AAA games. For the former, these studios are often not able to develop for more than maybe 2 platforms simultaneously, and PC is always going to be one of them. So then they're either going to go with the larger player base (Switch or PS, depending on what type of game it is) or whoever gives them money. That money gives them some more stability, guarantees at least some amount of recouped costs, and makes it easier to port the games in the future from a budget standpoint. For a platform like Xbox, the only way to guarantee they'll actually get the games is often going to be doing these timed exclusivity deals.

Publishers like Square Enix can easily afford to develop for several platforms at once - they just choose to take the guaranteed check from Sony, and make the bet that it will offset the lack of sales on other platforms. It worked out fine for Remake, seems like it might be working out less great for Rebirth (but we obviously don't know how much Sony gave them for the exclusivity).

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I think timed exclusive stuff for indies is a lot different than larger AAA games. For the former, these studios are often not able to develop for more than maybe 2 platforms simultaneously, and PC is always going to be one of them. So then they're either going to go with the larger player base (Switch or PS, depending on what type of game it is) or whoever gives them money. That money gives them some more stability, guarantees at least some amount of recouped costs, and makes it easier to port the games in the future from a budget standpoint. For a platform like Xbox, the only way to guarantee they'll actually get the games is often going to be doing these timed exclusivity deals.

Publishers like Square Enix can easily afford to develop for several platforms at once - they just choose to take the guaranteed check from Sony, and make the bet that it will offset the lack of sales on other platforms. It worked out fine for Remake, seems like it might be working out less great for Rebirth (but we obviously don't know how much Sony gave them for the exclusivity).

The difference in timed-exclusivity approach is driven primarily by strategy + market-share realities. PS is more console driven, thus securing "tent-pole" 3rd party exclusives is their preferred method to entice hardware sales for long-term storefront cuts; you see it even with their indie partnership titles like Stray, Tchia, Kena etc. Xbox is more ecosystem/GP driven, thus securing a wider array of indies/AA titles to satiate the needs of the GP user spectrum and crucially, retention, is their preferred strategy - in the context of marketshare offset costs - whether engaged via the console, PC, or cloud.

User-base is also much too simplistic of a metric to gauge potential success/sales. If all things were equal, sure, but as we've seen from the PS indies discourse ~2-years ago, discoverability, genre, market penetration, regional differences, marketing, awareness etc., all impact the success of these titles. Otherwise it would always hold true that all indies would sell better on PS than on Xbox, which wasn't/isn't the case.

Point being, they are strategically informed decisions; retroactively justifying, or not, which makes more sense from an overall POV (platform, users, studio/IP holder, market itself etc.) is an uncontrolled comparison in a scientific sense, as each platform holder exists within their own context, the context of the overall market and their place within it, along with what their goals are via implementation of any specific "tactic". Sure, we can analytically infer qualitative impacts in specific instances for specific stakeholders, but an all encompassing comparator is almost nonsensical in such a dynamic industry that is ever-evolving given all the players are in such different contexts.