• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Eh, 1% growth excluding ABK is actually pretty good. Remember, last year's officially best selling game (The Terf game) launched in February and sold quite a bit in Feb and March. So that was a *lot* of Content/Services Income that Xbox received, so this year being higher than that without ABK is actually pretty good. Especially when this quarter had probably the biggest game flop in ages in Suicide Squad

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that Fallout is a resounding success, what's the next IP from MS that should try the transmedia route?

Beyond Fallout, MS is already working on a few projects:

- Halo (the reception to the second season sounded good)
- Minecraft (movie coming in 2025)
- Gears of War (movie from Netflix, Jon Spaihts writing; new game in 2025 - 2026)
- Grounded (animated series announced in 2022)

There were rumours about animated shows from Diablo and Overwatch.

And I don't remember anything else.

If Perfect Dark is successful I think that a TV show based on it could be great. After Fallout, I guess that the possibility of The Elder Scrolls will be discussed again. Finally, MS has many family IP that could be nice for kids (Banjo, Crash, Spyro, etc).

What would be your realistic next choice or dream project?

I can't really speak much on it without outing my source (a fellow friend in the industry) but one of those family friendly IP you mentioned did have a show pitched last year that was rejected.

It's also not the Crash show that leaked a while back.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Forecast from previous earnings call.

And in Gaming, we expect revenue growth in the low 40s, including approximately 45 points of net impact from the Activision acquisition. We expect Xbox content and services revenue growth in the low to mid-50s, driven by approximately 50 points of net impact from the Activision acquisition. Hardware revenue will decline year over year

Source: https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...?version=59428226-1c72-8d55-6311-3692c5cbcf5a

They do really seem to underestimate their forecasts

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
GMCTI-nWAAAhUKS

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
So without ABK it would be 1% up. Damn.
Real "damn" is that overall Xbox revenue would be down YoY 4% if not for ABK, probably because hardware was down 31%

Content and Services doing better YoY is actually a pretty good sign, all things considered. Outside of Palworld there haven't really been any big third party games on Xbox this quarter, and Palworld was on Game Pass so it's impact is going to be fairly limited either way

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
We knew hardware was gonna be down that much. Honestly better than expected as Welfare was predicting -40% lol

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Real "damn" is that overall Xbox revenue would be down YoY 4% if not for ABK, probably because hardware was down 31%

Content and Services doing better YoY is actually a pretty good sign, all things considered. Outside of Palworld there haven't really been any big third party games on Xbox this quarter, and Palworld was on Game Pass so it's impact is going to be fairly limited either way

Ultimately the revenue figures matter far more than hardware. Shareholders don't care HOW they make money. As long as they don't see a drop over time the strategy continues.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
xbox is basically being supported by actvi. no way they stop the cod machine

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I'm playing harold halibut for the first time. Never been this frustrated with a game before. What hell are these "puzzles". None of it makes any sense and I'm locked in it now, can't back out.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I imagine next earnings call will be fairly big given the Fallout success and Blizzard + NetEase re-signing.

plus Hellblade 2 60M seller