• Yes

Votes: 361 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 345 48.9%

• Total voters

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
He's partnered with The Coalition so he probably has heard a few things for sure
I assume that means partnered streamer. It doesn't mean they let him know inside info about the company, and if they did that means he just threw away the partnership. So he did not hear this from the Coalition.

Orduss

Feb 3, 2021
The rumors around Gears of War Collection have always seemed pretty sketchy imo, don't say it can't happen but I don't remember a "solid" leak about it.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
aren't all the gears games readily available and in high resolutions now? what made this hyped so much?
I don't believe these rumors, but it clearly mentions a brand new platform for Gears in that tweet so you can see at least a bit of what people might be excited about right? But also, Gears 2 and 3 did not receive the remaster treatment Gears 1 did. I mean, Halo games were available without MCC. People still wanted MCC no? You might have too? Putting all the co-op and multiplayer in one box is sort of neat.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
2 and 3 are not on pc.

ahh ic, that's neat if it's become available

I don't believe these rumors, but it clearly mentions a brand new platform for Gears in that tweet so you can see at least a bit of what people might be excited about right? But also, Gears 2 and 3 did not receive the remaster treatment Gears 1 did. I mean, Halo games were available without MCC. People still wanted MCC no? You might have too? Putting all the co-op and multiplayer in one box is sort of neat.

I don't like shooters so I can't see the appeal of these games lmao halo included

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024
quick question

i've been planning to buy a rog ally cuz it seems like it is perfect for the "dream xbox handheld" how is people from this thread's opinion on the device?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Gears collection on ps5, Gears 6 on Xbox service.
People liking Gears collection would have to buy the console or game on pc ,or sub on xcloud for playing it.
Maybe the game will be exclusive for like one years then ps5 but it Can still be good for microsoft. ( Even Gears 6 Can be multiplatform, online multiplayer are made for being multiplatform).

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Gears collection on ps5, Gears 6 on Xbox service.
People liking Gears collection would have to buy the console or game on pc ,or sub on xcloud for playing it.
Maybe the game will be exclusive for like one years then ps5 but it Can still be good for microsoft. ( Even Gears 6 Can be multiplatform, online multiplayer are made for being multiplatform).
Only semi positive outcome if they do Gears collection on PS. Then keep 6 exclusive then those who enjoy it may consider buying an Xbox

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to see Shadowz posted in here 😂 , that's one of the last people you should ever go to for "insider" info. He's basically the Gears equivalent of a Halo Youtuber posting "insider" videos for 4-5+ years in between game releases, they of course always turn out to be nonsense.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Gears 5 and I really want a remake of 2 and 3 so I hope the collection thing is true. Rather not play the 360 versions plus more achievements to get with a collection lol

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022
Didn't expect to see Shadowz posted in here 😂 , that's one of the last people you should ever go to for "insider" info. He's basically the Gears equivalent of a Halo Youtuber posting "insider" videos for 4-5+ years in between game releases, they of course always turn out to be nonsense.

He's a good figure in the community, keeps drumming the Gears drums even when there's nothing to talk about.

With that said, he doesn't know any inside information lol

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
really impressive that there are still almost 50k people playing fallout 76 on steam rn. also almost 30k for sea of thieves.. and 20k on age of empires 4... and 25k on age of empires 2... and 135k on fallout 4 LMAO

Oct 27, 2017
really impressive that there are still almost 50k people playing fallout 76 on steam rn. also almost 30k for sea of thieves.. and 20k on age of empires 4... and 25k on age of empires 2... and 135k on fallout 4 LMAO

I think it's wild that really old games (Sea of Thieves and the Fallout's) are having really nice resurgences and are performing this well, both on Steam and PlayStation. I have to imagine these games are far exceeding Microsoft's expectations right now. I'm very curious to see how this quarter turns out financially for Xbox, as I'm sure these 2 franchises are contributing a LOT to the bottom line right now.

Also, I was just curious to see how the 4 xbox games that were ported to PlayStation are being received by PlayStation users, and it looks like they're being received extremely well right now. User scores below for these games on the PlayStation Store:

hi fi rush - 4.84 (2k ratings)
pentiment - 4.79 (295 ratings)
sea of thieves - 4.68 (2.3k ratings)
grounded - 4.68 (1.4k ratings)

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I think it's wild that really old games (Sea of Thieves and the Fallout's) are having really nice resurgences and are performing this well, both on Steam and PlayStation. I have to imagine these games are far exceeding Microsoft's expectations right now. I'm very curious to see how this quarter turns out financially for Xbox, as I'm sure these 2 franchises are contributing a LOT to the bottom line right now.
Even on Xbox with Fallout since all of them are high on the top sellers list IIRC. Really wild. And Sea of Thieves seems to be doing extremely well on PS5.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
needs

ss_02a4836f154494d70796698dddd18383c8dae7d7.1920x1080.jpg

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't give up on them. EA and Activision made the decision to move to Sony. Could Xbox have offered more money? Maybe, but at a certain point there isn't a good ROI on that and it's still up to the third party to decide who to go with (and now they have CoD back anyway).

Really not sure we should be rooting for stuff like this.

I really don't think special edition consoles are as valuable as people think. They did the Halo console as a one off for the anniversary. Sony haven't done any special edition consoles this gen (the Spider-Man one was just a bundle with the face plates). Xbox did the wrap for Starfield which achieved the same goal and allowed people who already bought the console to get it. I would imagine doing special edition consoles increases the cost and complexity of production and shipping.

Not rooting but more so it was the traditional way of competing in the console industry. But a lot has changed since those days.

I honestly think MS didn't want to continue pouring money in a market that was stagnant, as Phil has alluded to in interviews.

The question I'm wondering, wasn't there a better way to expand to more devices without having their hardware tank?

The Xbox Console customer is your most valuable customer, buying things in your ecosystem. Why not put a little effort into retaining and potentially gaining market share from Sony, even if only a small amount?

But they aren't even trying.

Wasn't there a way achieve both expansion and retention?

Special Edition console was mostly an example. My point was, people that don't own an Xbox will be tuning into these large showcases. Why not ride that fomo and push some hardware to gain new customers? That seems like an easy win.

OP
OP
Andrei Rublev

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
With a new OT on the horizon, I will take any Hellblade or Showcase themed OTs.

Speaking of Hellblade, I'm finally playing the Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for the first time. Not very far in, but I'm loving the atmosphere and sound design of the game.

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
I saw someone (here?) saying that Hellblade "Find the Image" puzzles are justifiable because of Senua psychosis.

I love the game, but this is not an excuse to make such a boring mechanic. I truly hope they tuned down the amount of puzzles you are required to do.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
quick question

i've been planning to buy a rog ally cuz it seems like it is perfect for the "dream xbox handheld" how is people from this thread's opinion on the device?

Which model and what price? Which games or types of games do you hope to play?

For reference I bought an open box "excellent" base Z1 unit from Best Buy and upgraded to a 1TB SSD due to the SD card problems.

I've been meaning to make an entire new thread on using my Ally as a "portable Xbox". My goal was to see how the experience was using the thing as a "real" portable, meaning keeping it unplugged when playing and not relying on turning up the TDP to get good performance.

Overall I'd say it's been fantastic but with plenty of caveats. I'll just do some quick pros/cons.

Pros:
  • The VRR screen, and the smaller screen size, really make things sing. It's totally fine to turn details to low/medium and play at 45 FPS. For a portable experience, it's amazing. Forza Horizon 5 and Lies of P are both great examples of games that play at low or medium settings, a solid resolution (1080 native for Forza, 1600x900 w/ balanced FSR2 for Lies), and get 45-55 FPS, and look fabulous at 8 inches.
  • Game Pass and Play Anywhere games really are amazing, the experience of picking up anywhere is awesome. This part is so good that it's sold me on whatever handheld Xbox ends up making.
  • The system looks good and feels good IMO. And the white is a good fit, if you want it to be more Xbox-y you can set the RGB to neon green...
  • Putting the system to sleep with games running more or less works, or at least it has for the games I've been playing on it. Not a true suspend like you'd get on Switch but you can press the top power button to turn things off and come back.
  • The left side dedicated Asus UI for managing TDP, refresh rate, seeing frame rates etc is well done, easy to invoke, and lets you see results more or less live which takes some of the pain out of the hunt for perfect settings.

Cons:
  • It's Windows and even logging in, opening a launcher just feels bad on a small screen with no native controller controls.
  • It's Windows so you'll have things like weird launcher popups, needing to disable things from starting on startup, decreased stability the longer you use the system without restarting it, crashes where you need to get to task manager, etc.
  • It's a PC, so especially with the multiple performance profiles available, you'll spend tons of time fucking around trying to get stuff running well or at the best combo for you. Some PC folks might jump in here to talk about how wonderful it is to customize things, but in a dedicated handheld this is an unequivocal negative for me, I want to pick up and play. The best experiences are smaller games like Hollow Knight or Vampire Survivors where you can just keep it on silent mode, not touch any settings, and get 90-120FPS.
  • Battery life is not good even running on Silent, maaybbee I could stretch it to 2 hours.
And last I don't really know whether to put this in pros or cons but the Xbox app sort of... is. It works fine enough, and when you're installing a play anywhere game and starting right up with your saves, getting achievements etc it feels great. But the selection of titles is pretty limited, so you may quickly find yourself hopping over to Steam or whatever (and obv that's fine but you asked "as an Xbox"). And the app itself basically doesn't work with controller controls, or I should say it works sometimes and not others? Or partially? It's messed up, I end up touching the screen. So that's not good.

Overall despite the negatives I'm very happy I bought it. Playing Psychonauts and Lies of P on a recent flight was a great highlight for me. But if you're hoping to get 3 hours of battery playing something really intensive then readjust expectations, and be ready to deal with numerous rough edges.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone (here?) saying that Hellblade "Find the Image" puzzles are justifiable because of Senua psychosis.

I love the game, but this is not an excuse to make such a boring mechanic. I truly hope they tuned down the amount of puzzles you are required to do.
That's literally what they were design to represent, there is nothing to "justify."

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

I said the intent is to show players something of what it's like for someone with psychosis. If you don't like how that feels, that might be part of the intended experience.

If your point is that you felt the balance was toward too many of those kinds of puzzle moments, fair enough, maybe they adjusted in the sequel. But I don't don't expect Ninja Theory to have set down "puzzles are super fun" as a design goal.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
If your point is that you felt the balance was toward too many of those kinds of puzzle moments, fair enough, maybe they adjusted in the sequel. But I don't don't expect Ninja Theory to have set down "puzzles are super fun" as a design goal.

The biggest criticism with the first game was those puzzles, and some weren't too keen on the combat either. It seems they've given the combat system a complete makeover based on that feedback. So hopefully they addressed the puzzle design as well and it was a design goal.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The biggest criticism with the first game was those puzzles, and some weren't too keen on the combat either. It seems they've given the combat system a complete makeover based on that feedback. So hopefully they addressed the puzzle design as well and it was a design goal.

"Biggest criticism" meaning what?

- Too many: ok, like I said we will see if they adjusted the balance. I'm not really expecting it but maybe.

- Not fun enough: I don't think they would agree "fun puzzles" is a design goal. They're supposed to represent visual hallucinations connected to psychosis. The example given in previews was seeing faces in the rock and this leading to a door opening which sounds straight out of the first game.

I think you should expect them to be very similar, and not move to some sort of uncharted or tomb raider "arrange the segments of the ancient carving"/"connect the channels to activate the water mechanism", or whatever "fun puzzles" means to you in a third person action game. (I don't mean that derisively, I find those games fun. I'm trying to be specific about what design you think they should emulate or move towards, feel free to share different examples.)

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
I said the intent is to show players something of what it's like for someone with psychosis. If you don't like how that feels, that might be part of the intended experience.

That's literally what they were design to represent, there is nothing to "justify."
I have no problem with the puzzle mechanic or what it's trying to achieve, but the amount you have to solve in the first game is just too much.