Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 375 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 362 49.1%

• Total voters

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Context? Images of Halo Infinite are open to interpretation. The one that jumps to me being exclusives MS spent extravagantly on and gave plenty of time to make can end up disappointing, then die and be forgotten in a month.
what games they made that were forgotten in a month besides halo and redfall? starfield still has a ton of players, forza horizon 4/5 are huge, age of empires 2/4 get 20k+ players every weekend. grounded even before the port got 10k+ players constantly, sea of thieves too.
No no they were still makin commits and working on the final touches. NOW it's awaiting cert since then and will release tomorrow at the soonest. Believe
if it's not out tomorrow......................

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
what games they made that were forgotten in a month besides halo and redfall? starfield still has a ton of players, forza horizon 4/5 are huge, age of empires 2/4 get 20k+ players every weekend. grounded even before the port got 10k+ players constantly, sea of thieves too.

Hey i said soonest

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

"What game aside from the flagship product of Xbox for twenty years". Horizon's doing okay--how is Motorsport these days?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Context? Images of Halo Infinite are open to interpretation. The one that jumps to me being exclusives MS spent extravagantly on and gave plenty of time to make can end up disappointing, then die and be forgotten in a month.

Probably a reference to Xbox wanting to be everywhere.

cwoody63

Dec 31, 2022
Get back to me when this starts happening in mass across all publishers and not a result of 3rd party partnerships or regional devs. (and no, a couple of indies from small devs that already have no dev funds isnt proving your point)

I don't want to have to "get back" to you. No one is saying this is going to happen overnight. Nobody is saying this 100% is going to happen. I'm just saying I think these concerns are reasonable, and they follow reasonable logic.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
mPr7sPAKHdPb8pBwZjj8k4.jpg

Is this new? Interesting to see a PC and laptop under the Xbox branding, is this usual?

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Sounds more like you making a poor consumer decision. Weigh what games you play, games you want to play, if cross play exists, where your friends are etc and buy the box that fits best. For some, that may be xbox, for others its PS. If your on xbox now, you werent getting those other games anyways. Your not entitled for more then whats on the box. If you want more, get whats best for you.

And id argue its naive to think games in general are going to stay platform agnostic. Its better for each platform in the long term with greater ROI's in general. PS is slower to adopt it but they are adopting it. Eventually consoles will be exactly as they should. Sold based on the additional features they create and improve outside of the games themselves.
I wasn't the one selling the platform on "games where Game Pass exists". We miss out on games and many of us paid for exclusives we are losing.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
why did you ignore the rest? lol

but yeah for sure, forza motorsport didn't do too hot either. it happens. still doesn't make you right 🤷

I didn't ignore the rest, I even engaged on you with Forza. And what part of what I said was wrong? I said something that MS spent a lot of time and money on can fail, which Infinite did. I didn't say all Xbox games ever will suck and nobody will play them. Only that they can have a massively high profile game and completely and utterly bungle it.

Which they did. What was the thing? "Halo, Forza and Gears"? Really wonder how Gears 6 will be.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I didn't ignore the rest, I even engaged on you with Forza. And what part of what I said was wrong? I said something that MS spent a lot of time and money on can fail, which Infinite did. I didn't say all Xbox games ever will suck and nobody will play them. Only that they can have a massively high profile game and completely and utterly bungle it.

Which they did.
that's true, but i also think they have far more stuff that has gone well than duds like forza or halo infinite. i don't expect hellblade 2 and more to do badly at all, and i understand the point: only consistency would bring more users to the console side. i can also understand your point though - it would take even more time, consoles are not growing, games are getting more expensive by the day and even by doing really well and having consistency in exclusives and more i don't see xbox ever surpassing playstation lol

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
"It takes five years to make a game" only matters if absolutely none of their acquired studios had anything going on, which is false--take the aforementioned Hi-Fi, Redfall, and Starfield. They had games in the pipeline--that's why they were acquired, they all had something to offer.

No, it does matter, because it both says something about the control and positioning Microsoft can give a title and games already in development can often be forced to be non-exclusives, either by other contracts, publishers or even if it's too far along. When you buy them, you get what they have and maybe that's Psychonauts 2, Wasteland 3, Deathloop or Ghostwire that are already promised off to other platforms for various reasons.

Maybe it's something that can quickly be made exclusive like Redfall and Starfield.

Both examples matter because we're talking about the dev cycles, they needed for exclusives. One will prolong the dev cycle, while the other will shorten it. Maybe you buy Starfield and that can be ready sooner, because it was already in development. Maybe you buy Elder Scrolls Online or Ghostwire and those teams won't be ready to switch to exclusives right way.

On top of that some studios or teams were built from the ground up (like Playground's second team and The Initiative). That'll take even longer.

The point here being, when I say five years for an AAA title and multiple cycles needed, that's both an estimation and a recognition we didn't get either.

They pivoted before, even the game they showcased the console with, released.

Another way to do it, if you don't like my five year round up estimation - which was just to make things simple, as the above shows the variations you otherwise encounter - would be to just count the games instead.

How many exclusive AAA games have we gotten from their newly bought teams?

That should tell you how far we are through their dev cycles. Yeah, it's slim pickings, which is exactly my point: We are not even through their first dev cycle of exclusives and they would have needed several.

Obsidian got out Grounded and Pentiment, too.

It was pointed out specifically, we were talking about AAA dev cycles. I love those games, but we're are talking about games of another size here.

So continue bleeding relevance in the hopes that fifteen years down the line, things will turn around?

Whether it's bleeding or building relevance is what we don't know. It's bleeding relevance now, but they're doing little to help it. Whether another strategy could have built relevance over time is what we don't know.

What makes a compelled exclusive? Why is Spider-Man a compelling game, but Starfield or Hi-Fi aren't? Why do we assume that we're going to see bangers instead of Redfalls?

We don't? We're discussing whether a long list of exclusives (Xbox/PC/cloud) on top of pushes, localization and advertising, would have worked out for the console over several dev cycles and you claimed it wouldn't, while I claimed, we'll never know.

We seem to have arrived at the same conclusion though:

You're right, we won't know.

It certainly wouldn't be easy and Microsoft would have to accept a long time with less growth than a multiplatform strategy can give them. That's just how it is, when dev cycles are five or so years and they have to make up for past mistakes as well. All for a console market that's a zero sum game, sees little growth and has fierce competitors.

I fully understand why they're pivoting, but I'm not convinced PC, Xbox and cloud couldn't have worked out as well, but it's certainly riskier. Their games are super popular, so they'll find success on other platforms. There's no guarantee with the other strategy.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This is a 1st party games thread. Also, these kind just proves the console warrior mentality goin on here. Ya dont care about the devs, their games, etc. You care about a plastic box. Thats not the stance you want to be on
Didn't see your edit until just now but it's worth quoting again to say it ain't my job to support these companies when they are doing things I don't like as a consumer. That's how this all works. As we are constantly told, these people aren't my friends and this Console Warrior is taking his wallet elsewhere when the console isn't attractive to him anymore. It's leadership's job to figure it out for the devs. I'm not beholden to any of them through some loyalty pact. It's not my job to blindly follow a company off a cliff I don't want to follow them off of.

Last edited:

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019
Why hasn't Hades 2 been launched on Xbox, considering that Xbox does support Early Access games? It seems like a missed opportunity.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
Im just saying redfall depots have never gone more than a day without some kind of update across the various branches in multiple weeks. And now its been over two days since the last one. Clearly they have locked in the changes and are awaiting cert
vixolus absolutely carrying the Redfall hype. Now even I want an update and I never payed the fucking game lmfao

cwoody63

Dec 31, 2022
If a tornado takes me out tonight fellas, I just want you to remember one thing: Halo 3 is the best Halo

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Xbox console business. It makes the most sense for them to create a console/PC hybrid and/or standardized licensable/upgradeable PC platform. Make Xbox what it should have been for a while now...an accessable PC platform. We'll see though.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, YES

I started it tonight. Really enjoying it. Probably not too surprising as I spend much more time reading then playing games these days. But it's great. Will finish on the weekend

I probably wouldn't have gone through it if it weren't leaving as I have a giant backlog that includes similarly text heavy games like disco elysium but I'm happy to go through this bite sized interactive story.

New Orleans and the surrounding area is a very cool location for a game. Love the modern dystopian take on it.

Last edited:

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
Its kind of crazy how everwild was announced at X019, shown off again at the 2020 summer showcase, just to never be seen again.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Its kind of crazy how everwild was announced at X019, shown off again at the 2020 summer showcase, just to never be seen again.
Not that crazy when you realize Sea of Thieves was to become a GTA-V tier GAAS. It's now in its 6th year of constant content, with no signs of slowing down.

Everwild was bound to be a GAAS too. No way could Rare focus on developing both.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Sea of Thieves is likely just too big a hit for them and require the resources. It's one of the reasons I never hope the studios I like end up making GaaS, because it just means fewer games from them. GaaS need content constantly.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Everything reported on Everwild seemed like a creative issue with the game not a manpower issue. Sea of thieves has nothing to do with it

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I feel like Everwild hit a creative roadblock where they couldn't turn the core concept into a game so they had to make some substantial changes that delayed it. I liked the ideas I heard about no combat with Pokémon stuff.

Maybe it was becoming too much like Viva Pinata. Maybe they should just make a game like Viva Pinata with this new style and a more modern game design. Maybe they should just make Viva Pinata.