Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 377 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 361 48.9%

• Total voters

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Everything reported on Everwild seemed like a creative issue with the game not a manpower issue. Sea of thieves has nothing to do with it

Even with creative issues, you think they wouldn't be further along with Everwild, if Sea of Thieves was a one and done game? They would be at exactly the same point, regardless of if they had to produce content for years after SoT release?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

View: https://twitter.com/BondSarah_Bond/status/1787504592223354983

futurama-fry.gif

Inb4 the rumoured 'OEM Xbox' ends up being a handheld line.

I actually got an ROG Ally last week (was my birthday, so got some money from family that softened the financial blow!). I'm sitting here with a cutting edge Windows handheld and mainly just playing Wipeout 2097 through RetroArch on the thing 😅

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Everything reported on Everwild seemed like a creative issue with the game not a manpower issue. Sea of thieves has nothing to do with it
I mean the issue is that it wasn't a game, it was a concept. I could tell on first watch that they didn't know how to turn that idea into a meaningful gameplay loop. We're not gonna see it because they quite literally can't see it.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

Search Jobs | Microsoft Careers

Senior Director of Internal Communications, Gaming

At Microsoft, our goal is to enable every individual and organization on the planet to achieve more. In the Gaming division, we support this mission by bringing the joy and community of gaming to everyone. To accomplish this, it is essential that our gaming vision and strategy are clearly understood by the amazing teams that make up Microsoft Gaming.]

really important role lol

I mean the issue is that it wasn't a game, it was a concept. I could tell on first watch that they didn't know how to turn that idea into a meaningful gameplay loop. We're not gonna see it because they quite literally can't see it.
that's not really true anymore. they got a solid team on it since 2020 and andy (VGC) said that the game is making progress with gregg mayles leading the project (and is more similar to Viva Piñata nowadays)

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Everwild was bound to be a GAAS too. No way could Rare focus on developing both.
Eh, Obsidian did it with Grounded with an initial team of less than 20 people. The difference was that they had a solid initial concept, whereas with Everwild Rare tried to do something very different.
Not to mention it was Louise's first game as Exec Producer, which probably contributed to the game's troubled development, but Xbox's is in a position where they can let games go on if the studio believes in the project.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia
They should've just come out and say Everwild was rebooted or something. If not for VGC, we would've got nothing probably. Matt Booty said the report was more definite and a little more extreme. They were optimistically targetting a 2024 release, so we should at least see the game soon.

Rare can have multiple teams as can any studio. They are working on Everwild, so they already do, plus they have third-party studios supporting SoT. Rare has over 250 employees, we don't know how many people are on either project.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Kepler usually don't miss. I just hoped they were wrong about this. Here's hoping they have their Switch moment and it's not just another twin box that will sadly be outgunned in 2 years.

They'll have to change the model in some way to stand a chance. Will be interesting to see how they do that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Search Jobs | Microsoft Careers

really important role lol

that's not really true anymore. they got a solid team on it since 2020 and andy (VGC) said that the game is making progress with gregg mayles leading the project (and is more similar to Viva Piñata nowadays)
  • Leads team to develop and drive stories in fresh ways that generate positive perceptions towards Microsoft
  • Guides teams to monitor, track, and analyze the impact of and responses to messaging for a given issue
  • Experience strategizing and executing communications initiatives while remaining aligned to the brand and brand reputation management
NEEDED 8 MONTHS AGO

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
  • Leads team to develop and drive stories in fresh ways that generate positive perceptions towards Microsoft
  • Guides teams to monitor, track, and analyze the impact of and responses to messaging for a given issue
  • Experience strategizing and executing communications initiatives while remaining aligned to the brand and brand reputation management
NEEDED 8 MONTHS AGO
indeed lmao

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Kepler usually don't miss. I just hoped they were wrong about this. Here's hoping they have their Switch moment and it's not just another twin box that will sadly be outgunned in 2 years.
It's not in their brand strategy to make a Switch moment. It's just going to be a continuation of the same Xbox we've gotten since the One.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
from polygon: https://www.polygon.com/24108660/xbox-handheld-console-phil-spencer-interview

he (spencer) did say he sees a similar level of creativity coming to hardware that Xbox has brought to software.
"I think it's important," said Spencer. "You and I, we've been around for a couple of days. Look at the real inflection points in our industry, like look at the Wii. It was hardware innovation that was linked with great software innovation."

feel like his quote kinda went under the radar

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If Sony gets word that Xbox is launching in 2026 (and I'm sure they get word of these sorts of things before anyone else does), I have to imagine that they'd try to get the PS6 out in 2027 instead of 2028. I think the hardware would likely end up being more similar than not.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
If Sony gets word that Xbox is launching in 2026 (and I'm sure they get word of these sorts of things before anyone else does), I have to imagine that they'd try to get the PS6 out in 2027 instead of 2028. I think the hardware would likely end up being more similar than not.
They don't have to. Both consoles will be playing the same games, and if the PS5 Pro is at an attractive price point compared to the NextBox, Sony might even have the advantage there.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Nobody would have predicted Xbox hardware to be in this position in 2020. I hope Power On gets another chapter on the Xbox Series generation, there are so many questions I have that I'd love answers to.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They'll have to change the model in some way to stand a chance. Will be interesting to see how they do that.
Handheld definitely seems to be part of it.
I don't think they can do that. The time table is the time table at this point. If Sony planned for 2028 that's probably what it's gonna have to be based on what tech they want. Xbox is likely going to be a gen behind in terms of AMD feature set.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Me too. Something where you can immediately see the business case and be comfortable with where they're taking the Xbox console ecosystem.
That's the dream.

NEEDED 8 MONTHS AGO
Needed then and needed for the 2026 console launch!

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

I don't think they can do that. The time table is the time table at this point. If Sony planned for 2028 that's probably what it's gonna have to be based on what tech they want. Xbox is likely going to be a gen behind in terms of AMD feature set.

I don't think a RROD/YLOD situation would fly today either.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

CPU will be a decent jump but the GPU and RAM will be less of a gulf than PS5 to Pro imo. I don't think two years is enough of a gap to skip Xbox for devs, or anything, like some have speculated. As someone who is interested in premium console power, I will probably have some issues and nitpicks, but if they show me a strong 2026 console I could see me getting it over the Pro. But, I doubt they announce it in time for that decision so there is that problem.

The question I keep coming back to is what makes the stronger Xbox sales in 2026-2028? A new Xbox console or a 6-8 year old Series X and S? If they can shorten these console life cycles and go generationless, I personally think that's a much more compelling platform then going 8 years between consoles and I think you get more chances to have peak years which are typically the first 3. That's why mid-gen refreshes partially exist; because sales start flagging after the third holiday. I think there is something to be said for getting more Year 2s by shortening the gens.

Guess we'll see soon enough but I hope the idea gets put to the test personally.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
CPU will be a decent jump but the GPU and RAM will be less of a gulf than PS5 to Pro imo. I don't think two years is enough of a gap to skip Xbox for devs, or anything, like some have speculated. As someone who is interested in premium console power, I will probably have some issues and nitpicks, but if they show me a strong 2026 console I could see me getting it over the Pro. But, I doubt they announce it in time for that decision so there is that problem.
dont you dare abandon us

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
it's a bit funny (sad) that all these question marks about future of hardware of xbox and third party support are happening right when the third party support on xbox is at it's best lol

to be clear, i understand the worries and don't disagree with them!! just find the timing a bit ironic

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

The question I keep coming back to is what makes the stronger Xbox sales in 2026-2028? A new Xbox console or a 6-8 year old Series X and S? If they can shorten these console life cycles and go generationless, I personally think that's a much more compelling platform then going 8 years between consoles and I think you get more chances to have peak years which are typically the first 3. That's why mid-gen refreshes partially exist; because sales start flagging after the third holiday. I think there is something to be said for getting more Year 2s by shortening the gens.

Guess we'll see soon enough but I hope the idea gets put to the test personally.
Premium power is cool on paper, but unless plenty of 3rd party devs support it, it's gonna be a waste of money.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Premium power is cool on paper, but unless plenty of 3rd party devs support it, it's gonna be a waste of money.
I agree but if we take the PS6 in 2028 as fact then a console in 2026 that is powerful is going to be something that won't lag as far behind PS6 and you also have a ridiculous first party group at that point to FORCE the issue. The best laid plans of mice and men tho.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wonder who's idea it is to send a bunch of influencers out to some location for the game. I feel like Xbox has done this recently for a handful of games to various degrees. Redfall had the invitation thing, Forza Motorsport had the track meet in Las Vegas, Hellblade in Iceland.

I gotta wonder .. is this an effective method? 🤔

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I wonder who's idea it is to send a bunch of influencers out to some location for the game. I feel like Xbox has done this recently for a handful of games to various degrees. Redfall had the invitation thing, Forza Motorsport had the track meet in Las Vegas, Hellblade in Iceland.

redfall and forza were more of preview events tho right? a lot of companies do that (Mortal Kombat 1 had that and a lot of bigger games do it too).

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

I don't have Instagram, but maybe it's a bigger deal there?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
redfall and forza were more of preview events tho right? a lot of companies do that (Mortal Kombat 1 had that and a lot of bigger games do it too).
Redfall was more of a preview event but it was still ike a targeted influencer come out to a location thing. Forza at the track Idk if they even discussed or played the game lol. They did races around a real track.

Like flying and posting up a bunch of people in iceland to give them a view of the land seems cool but idk it seems a bit expensive for what it is. I could understand flying out press there or Digital Foundry or something so they can play the game and gush over the realism I guess, but that may become a conflict of interest for the media lmao. Influencers have no standards or ethics tho.