Should there be a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 425 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 374 46.8%

• Total voters

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I think we should keep our expectations in check for Gears and Doom. I really don't think we're going to see very much of them. At best, I think we can an in-engine teaser with a few snippets of gameplay, but I think CGI trailer is very realistic.

There's plenty of other games that will be showing gameplay and likely releasing sooner than Gears and Doom, so they can save the full reveal for next year or whenever else (maybe something at QuakeCon for Doom).

Gears will be in-game snippets, Doom depending on release will be in-engine is my guess

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Living in a dream world if the thought that Sony will willingly port Helldivers 2 or their live service games to Xbox. Why would they, port and maintain their games to two skus, with a modest install base, with some of the install base being conditioned to predominantly play games via Gamepass rather than purchase software.

Sony's strategy is predicated on having high quality, compelling first party exclusives, supplemented with third party timed or permanent exclusives. I can see them opening up to PC further following the success of Helldivers 2, but not rival consoles.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Living in a dream world if the thought that Sony will willingly port Helldivers 2 or their live service games to Xbox. Why would they, port and maintain their games to two skus, with a modest install base, with some of the install base being conditioned to predominantly play games via Gamepass rather than purchase software.

Sony's strategy is predicated on having high quality, compelling first party exclusives, supplemented with third party timed or permanent exclusives. I can see them opening up to PC further following the success of Helldivers 2, but not rival consoles.
I don't think it will happen either, but Xbox has made itself such a non-threat to Playstation that a Helldivers 2 port probably would just be free money for Sony with no real repercussions to the Playstation business.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
SE finally seeing the light.

Hope we get Nier: Replicant on Game Pass I still haven't got around to playing that yet. And a port of NEO: TWEWY.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Oddly, the full-throated strategy shift for Squeenix to include Xbox has done more for me to be optimistic about the platform than anything Xbox has done all year.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I don't think it will happen either, but Xbox has made itself such a non-threat to Playstation that a Helldivers 2 port probably would just be free money for Sony with no real repercussions to the Playstation business.
Sony would prefer to just take that money by eating up more market share in that circumstance, is the issue.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
There is nothing about HFR sales or even game pass metrics that would lead to some kind of insane unsustainable royalty payout. Especially not for a continued period. If there were some kind of awards bonus it would still just be a temporary one time thing.

Their "tools" being better for ps5 (ue4) is also dumb. It's just taking the df videos and running with it. It's not like they can't be catered towards Xbox moving forward.

And i don't think Tom would snitch with information received from a source smh.

I rate this bait last weeks chum / 10

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Oddly, the full-throated strategy shift for Squeenix to include Xbox has done more for me to be optimistic about the platform than anything Xbox has done all year.

My interpretation (not serious) is their platform ordering when naming is based on priority: Nintendo, PS, Xbox, PC. The last place makes sense given their questionable PC release strategy so far, even worse than releasing on Xbox late or not at all (EGS exclusives are worse than no release from a perception standpoint lmao).

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
There is nothing about HFR sales or even game pass metrics that would lead to some kind of insane unsustainable royalty payout. Especially not for a continued period. If there were some kind of awards bonus it would still just be a temporary one time thing.

Their "tools" being better for ps5 (ue4) is also dumb. It's just taking the df videos and running with it. It's not like they can't be catered towards Xbox moving forward.

some people will absolutely believe that, though.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023
If "DF proved our games running better on PS5" is the metric, so expect more studios to be closed really soon, because all those ports had better features on PS5 then the Series X

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Considering one of the complaints, or at least some confusion around, was GP revenue cuts for 1st party vs their sales targets. Makes zero sense.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Sony would prefer to just take that money by eating up more market share in that circumstance, is the issue.
Yep. Everyone trying to wish Sony into multiplats based on the gaming industry and excuses Microsoft gives for it are missing the crucial fact that even if the overall console market is flat, there is room for Sony to grow by just stealing Xbox market share as MS self combusts by porting over everything to the competition. The PS360 Gen had the same overall install base on console as the next one, but PS4 grew a ton by stealing 40m sales from Xbox. Same thing will keep happening until Xbox hardware is dead, at which point no need to port anyway.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Yep. Everyone trying to wish Sony into multiplats based on the gaming industry and excuses Microsoft gives for it are missing the crucial fact that even if the overall console market is flat, there is room for Sony to grow by just stealing Xbox market share as MS self combusts by porting over everything to the competition. The PS360 Gen had the same overall install base on console as the next one, but PS4 grew a ton by stealing 40m sales from Xbox. Same thing will keep happening until Xbox hardware is dead, at which point no need to port anyway.

I thought Odyssey Survival game from Blizzard would be PC and Xbox exclusive before it got cancelled really.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, don't forget the closure was announced at 10pm local time in Japan. Some people probably didn't know until the following day.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This bit from Squeenix is intersting:

New releases tend to be met with either marked success or marked failure as players throng to a handful of major titles.

Seems to be implying that they feel mid-budget 'sucess' stories are being harmed greatly by the forever games. Makes you wonder about the HB2 and South of Midnight projects of thr world from Xbox. The playing time that might have gone to games like that a decade ago are getting hoovered up by forever games? So big AAA hits are still part of the industry but there is little space for modest hits, or even less than there was before.

It's like the stated Xbox strategy of Game Pass giving these types of games cover has been cut off at the knees from the shift in market realities here. The math might have worked better for these types of games being viable due to Game Pass in a time before forever games.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020

What in the fairly land is this? Any place I know, if you're contracted for and earned a non-discretionary bonus, the company is pretty much required to pay it out unless some terms are spelled out in the employee agreements/contract (quit on own accord). It's considered part of your excepted earnings in most places.

It's disappointing some people are going to believe this.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I do think Sony will more aggressively pursue a multi-platform strategy, but the the next logical steps are PC day & date for SP since MP is already that, and their nascent Mobile effort, well before Xbox; they're doing a similar thing in Mobile with job listings for a Mobile focused app/store. And as you mentioned, they can sit by while expanding onto those 2 platforms whilst watching Xbox hardware and likely eat into that core console audience share along with Nintendo, before making any strategic decisions on the console multi-plat front. They have a bit more time in the context of exploring other revenue/margin generating expansions.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Seems to be implying that they feel mid-budget 'sucess' stories are being harmed greatly by the forever games. Makes you wonder about the HB2 and South of Midnight projects of thr world from Xbox. The playing time that might have gone to games like that a decade ago are getting hoovered up by forever games? So big AAA hits are still part of the industry but there is little space for modest hits, or even less than there was before.

It's like the stated Xbox strategy of Game Pass giving these types of games cover has been cut off at the knees from the shift in market realities here. The math might have worked better for these types of games being viable due to Game Pass in a time before forever games.

Not a surprise although unfortunate, since they've all but communicated cutting down their mid-budget titles with the write down. It's all big budget AAA across multiple platforms with a more streamlined development operation.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023

Everything is being hoovered up by forever games, including big AAA stuff. I don't think this means games like HB2 or South of Midnight don't have any space, especially since their costs should not be so high as stuff like FFVII Rebirth.

There's a reason indie publishers and AA publishers like Focus Entertainment (refuse to call them Pull Up) are doing so well - there's space for these games, the problem is that places like Xbox, Playstation and more invest so much in their big games that the ROI on this stuff doesn't seem worth it. But that has long term problems - you can see them in how the industry is absolutely fucked up today, especially when you factor him the Fortnites and PUBG's and etc.

Not a surprise although unfortunate, since they've all but communicated cutting down their mid-budget titles with the write down. It's all big budget AAA across multiple platforms with a more streamlined development operation.
I don't think they're completely cutting of mid-budget titles, but are being far more careful which one to develop - in previous fiscal reports they said they were doubling down on quality and succesful stuff, and games like Octopath and the 2D-HD stuff are pretty succesful (most of them, at least). There's also a lot of opportunity with remakes/remasters with their huge catalogue of IP's, too.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I don't think they're completely cutting of mid-budget titles, but are being far more careful which one to develop - in previous fiscal reports they said they were doubling down on quality and succesful stuff, and games like Octopath and the 2D-HD stuff are pretty succesful (most of them, at least). There's also a lot of opportunity with remakes/remasters with their huge catalogue of IP's, too.

You're right, should have said slimmed down rather than cut-down. People forget how many of those they release, cause it's a shit ton and some of the release timing is absolutely bizarre, like 3 in the span of a week that doesn't do them any favors. But yeah, they'll focus on the hits like Octopath etc., which is great. I just hope the younger devs don't get the short-end of the stick since AFAIK, some of those titles are for new grads to get experience.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022

I think there's something to be said for Hellblade 2, South of Midnight etc. being games that Xbox themselves greenlit and likely knew full well their prospects from the beginning of the process. Obviously that doesn't mean they can't change their mind on what games to greenlight going forward, but I'm optimistic that they will view Hellblade 2 and SoM as important stepping stones towards bigger projects for Ninja Theory and Compulsion (maybe even new franchises, who knows).

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
You're right, should have said slimmed down rather than cut-down. People forget how many of those they release, cause it's a shit ton and some of the release timing is absolutely bizarre, like 3 in the span of a week that doesn't do them any favors. But yeah, they'll focus on the hits like Octopath etc., which is great. I just hope the younger devs don't get the short-end of the stick since AFAIK, some of those titles are for new grads to get experience.
Yeah, it sucks because i think stuff like Paranormasight, which is FANTASTIC, is not happening under these new development guidelines. I think they're not wrong on trying to be more picky since a lot of their games were kinda mid or didn't have the necessary investment to shine but, ugh. What a depressing scenario all around.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think the real question people should ask themselves as a consumer is whether or not they continue investing in Xbox hard- and software when the multi-plat strategy hits. The decisions have likely been made (apart maybe from AAA singleplayer titles) and whether that's good or bad is not really the point anymore given where we are in May 2024.

And if I had to review the four titles that were ported, clearly the GAAS games did really well while I think the singleplayer games probably hurt the brand more than they brought about positives.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I think the real question people should ask themselves as a consumer is whether or not they continue investing in Xbox hard- and software when the multi-plat strategy hits. The decisions have likely been made (apart maybe from big AAA singleplayer titles) and whether that's good or bad is not really the point anymore given where we are in May 2024.
i mean i love my series x, doesn't change much for me. if the next hardware sucks or there isn't anything i'll just continue playing on PC (mostly play on PC/Xbox today) and eventually get a Switch 2 and maybe the next Playstation.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I think the real question people should ask themselves as a consumer is whether or not they continue investing in Xbox hard- and software when the multi-plat strategy hits. I think the decisions have likely been made (apart maybe from AAA singleplayer titles) and whether that's good or bad is not really the point anymore given where we are in May 2024.
Agreed. I've always said that if they went day and date multiplatform tomorrow, literally nothing would change for me because Xbox is still and will continue to be my preferred platform for a multitude of reasons beyond the games being exclusive.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I think there's something to be said for Hellblade 2, South of Midnight etc. being games that Xbox themselves greenlit and likely knew full well their prospects from the beginning of the process. Obviously that doesn't mean they can't change their mind on what games to greenlight going forward, but I'm optimistic that they will view Hellblade 2 and SoM as important stepping stones towards bigger projects for Ninja Theory and Compulsion (maybe even new franchises, who knows).

While true and not to put too much of a damper here, but forecasts & projections have clearly changed since they were greenlit. Now that they've started console ports, they do have an avenue to re-balance ROI however.