Status
Not open for further replies.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Dude, hush. How do you know if you have to be a developer or not, if you're not a developer?

Thanks anyway for answering the question.
You don't need to be a game developer; all you need is common sense. If it were as easy to make a fantastic looking 3d open world game, then it wouldn't require AAA budget and indie devs wouldn't be making isometric games.

Open world games are required to render large draw distances of interactive play space. This alone is more demanding than what's going on the screen in an isometric game. There is so much more to be rendered at any given time in an open world game, because the amount of detail is incomparable and the game must look good from every angle and distance. You can produce a great looking isometric game with limited resources and people. It's not that difficult: good art direction and style would make it look good. You don't need fancy animations or render huge 4k textures of every object in the game. In an isometric game, no one will be able to see objects up close and personal, so neither the animations nor the objects need to be perfect.

You can't say the same about open world games with realistic graphics.

I'm not saying a developer who made great looking isometric games can't make a great looking 3d open world game; they are just not comparable at all.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen any next gen console in stores.

Walmart had like 4 S's in stock last week but when it comes to something that costs $$$ I always hem and haw and take forever to think it over. I went back today and obviously they were all gone and now I'm kicking myself a bit.

I decided to see if I could set an alert on brickseek but they had a message that said "At the request of the retailers, search results for this item have been disabled." which is bullshit. :/

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Walmart had like 4 S's in stock last week but when it comes to something that costs $$$ I always hem and haw and take forever to think it over. I went back today and obviously they were all gone and now I'm kicking myself a bit.

I decided to see if I could set an alert on brickseek but they had a message that said "At the request of the retailers, search results for this item have been disabled." which is bullshit. :/
HOW DARE YOU TRY TO BUY A PRODUCT AT OUR STORE?!

My guess is that it just ends up being practically unreliable and they'd rather not deal with the customer service nightmares of having people rush to the store, only to get into confrontations with each other or staff.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

i always have an alert for Series S on bestbuy and it is usually restocked frequently.
heres the extension for chrome/edge
chrome.google.com

Octoshop: Price compare, cashback, alerts

Get the best price every time! Earn cash back at thousands of retailers, compare prices, and set price drop alerts.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

The Microsoft Store has it in stock right now https://www.xbox.com/en-us/configure/942J774TP9JN

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I know this isn't a hardware thread but does your series x get hot when it's in power save mode? It's not crazy hot but it's still noticeable..Also do you guys turn of your console(like I mean entirely) after each session?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I know this isn't a hardware thread but does your series x get hot when it's in power save mode? It's not crazy hot but it's still noticeable..Also do you guys turn of your console(like I mean entirely) after each session?
IIRC the console even in full shutdown boots up to check for updates hence why it may get warm when off. So yes my Series X may be a little warm even if it's been off for hours.

I have mine in rest mode primarily.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
lol.. maybe, but I doubt it. Seems more likely to be a small oversight with what icons they enabled, rather than anything more than that.. It's still the WINDOWS subsystem for Android - and we don't have the equivalent WSL for Linux on Xbox either (not that.. we need that..).

Still, I could see them potentially testing it behind the scenes as something to allow Android devs to more easily port their games to Xbox, rather than straight up allowing Android app emulation wholesale. Who knows. We don't even know when it's coming to Win 11 haha

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Gamepass ultimate has Doom, Halo, Destiny, and battlefield all right there as the king of fps locations.

Edit:The ancient gods part 1 has some hilariously sticky encounters.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Psychonaughts 2 and it was fantastic! I hope Double Fine decides to stick with the franchise a bit now that they don't have to worry about money issues. I'd love a remake of the first game with this engine as well as them to continue with a sequel.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just finished Psychonaughts 2 and it was fantastic! I hope Double Fine decides to stick with the franchise a bit now that they don't have to worry about money issues. I'd love a remake of the first game with this engine as well as them to continue with a sequel.
I don't think they'll be tackling such a big project for another couple of years but I really hope it won't be 15 more years until we get a Psychonauts 3.

Psychonauts 2 is BY FAR my game of the year so far (also probably my favourite game since BOTW or Mario Odyssey). And halo, forza or battlefield will have to be exceptionally good to topple it for me personally.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I think TOW2 will be a shorter RPG just like TOW. Obsidian did say that they don't want the scope of the game to be too big. Who knows how big Avowed is--it could be a 40-hour RPG for all we know. InXile is a pretty small studio right now, so I can't really see their first FPS RPG being huge, either. Fable could be big, but it's possible that a good portion of the content will be multiplayer and the single-player campaign won't be too long.

The only RPG that we know for sure will be huge is Starfield: it'll have more than 100 hours of content, according to BGS. Well, and TES VI, too, but that goes without saying.

I expect ToW 2 to have the same scope as Mass Effect. A little bit longer story than the first game. Next-gen visuals, better animations, better combat mechanics and etc.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Double Fine's next game is going to be a new IP. And to be fair, it makes perfect sense looking at the studio's body of work. It's basically the American version of Rare.

Hopefully they return to the world of Psychonauts sooner than they did with 2, though.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
How did Doom Eternal not win more game of the year awards smh.
Because it's a FPS. First person shooters are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to GOTYs. People might love them, but some genres just get snubbed. AAA action adventure games and RPGs are usually favored for GOTY awards. If DOOM came out this year, it might have had some chance.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Double Fine's next game is going to be a new IP. And to be fair, it makes perfect sense looking at the studio's body of work. It's basically the American version of Rare.

That's actually quite an apt comparison, though to me Rare lost that special something they had during the Nintendo and Microsoft years up to Kinect Sports, but that might be because I don't play many service games. They just had this.. British Nintendo feel during the golden years that I can't recognize in them any longer.

I'm very happy Double Fine is a part of Xbox. Microsoft got a deal with some of these smaller teams like Inxile and Double Fine. They're so valuable in terms of mindshare with core gamers.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Nice. David worked on Dirt 5 and I remember he gave a bunch of technical-focused interviews around launch (Digital Foundry and some podcasts I believe). Seemed like a smart guy with a great passion for what he works on. Playground seems like a good fit
Immediately after seeing the tweet in here I thought to myself... I know this guy from Dirt interviews. Happy for him and PG. It's unrealistic, but I wish we get a glimpse of Fable at the Game Awards.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I wonder about Starfield's lore. Bethesda is creating a new lore and it's so exciting. Fallout and Elder Scrolls have one of the deepest lore in the gaming world. Starfield will be amazing too.

My most anticipated game since Halo 3.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
wide.png

Xbox Hintergrundbilder | Xbox Österreich

Die neuesten und coolsten Hintergrundbilder für Xbox. Lade Hintergrundbilder von deinen Lieblingsspielen auf all deine Geräte herunter.

Some cool screenshot from Halo, FH5 and much much more. From time to time I visit the official site to get myself some new wallpaper for smartphones, Xbox and PC. Now I choose a smartphone one, because the dynamic Halo theme is what I use on Xbox.

Anyways I thought maybe some of you don't know about this site yet and want some nice wallpapers. All of those have a smartphone, tablet, Xbox, ... version to pick.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope Elder Scrolls 6 is deep in pre-production and is ready for full production as soon as Starfield is released.

That way it can be ready by late 2025

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
I wonder about Starfield's lore. Bethesda is creating a new lore and it's so exciting. Fallout and Elder Scrolls have one of the deepest lore in the gaming world. Starfield will be amazing too.

My most anticipated game since Halo 3.
Yeah, the lore of TES is cool, spanning over 20+ years

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I think there were just too many balls to juggle. It made the game much less fun than its predecessor.
I mean I thought it was way more fun than the 2016 game because of that. 2016 got pretty easy and you could just use the Super Shotty the whole time, Eternal makes you have to actually focus the whole time and use your whole arsenal

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
Yeah i have a colleague who laughed at me when I got a Series X. Then he also bought one and has been playing on it non stop thanks to game pass, and his ps5 has been collecting dust.

I have both consoles and I haven't turned my PS5 on for maybe 2 months. I guess I'm gonna use it again when Horizon or GOW come out ina future, maybe Kena, but man, gamepass really takes all your play time

Oct 28, 2017
I remember around the Series X launch hearing that there was going to be a next-gen upgrade for TOW so I decided I would wait to play it. It never materialised, right? Is there any indication it might still be in the works? I would rather not play it now if there's a chance a superior version is on the way (as happened to me with Hellblade)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I remember around the Series X launch hearing that there was going to be a next-gen upgrade for TOW so I decided I would wait to play it. It never materialised, right? Is there any indication it might still be in the works? I would rather not play it now if there's a chance a superior version is on the way (as happened to me with Hellblade)

TOW has already received a 60fps update?

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
It got a Gen9Aware patch on Series X and is 60 fps now. I wouldn't expect a full on Next Gen Version, so you should be good to play now

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I really hope Elder Scrolls 6 is deep in pre-production and is ready for full production as soon as Starfield is released.

It'll have been in pre-production for 4-5 years by the time Starfield releases, so I'm sure it won't take long once the game actually starts full development. Unlike Starfield, they have the lore and lots of systems down, so making the game shouldn't take as much time. I fully expect TES VI to release in late 2025. 3 years after the first game in a generation is a normal gap for a BGS game. The first one always takes the longest because of the engine rewrites.

I doubt that. Assuming Starfield does well there will be at least a years worth of DLC.
Even considering the DLCs, Bethesda releases the second game in a generation very fast. It took 4 years to develop Oblivion, but Fallout 3 was released 1.5 years after Oblivion's DLCs were done. Skyrim was released 2 years after Fallout 3's DLCs were done. Fallout 4 was released 4 years after Skyrim, but only 2.5 years after Skyrim's DLCs were done (and there were engine rewrites, moving to a new generation, and development of Skyrim Special Edition in the meantime).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
How do you find series s in stores 🤔

If you mean in a physical store, just keep an eye out. I've seen them at Target, Fred Meyer and other such retailers. But only once in awhile.

Anyway online through Best Buy or Microsoft is easier unless you absolutely need to pay cash or something.

Wow still in stock an hour later. Hmmm

Yeah it appears Series S stock is finally catching up to demand in the US. Stays in stock for hours or even days now.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who's favorite genres are FPS, WRPG and Racing, GP is basically a godsend, and overall Xbox first party seems to be almost to a T catering to my interests

They have nailed the genre balance for me too, personally I prefer RPG and Strategy and they are delivering outstandingly on both fronts.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

I'm sure there are some element of pre-production happening but I imagine right now it's all hands on deck to get Starfield done in time. I'm guessing writers would be the first to move over since at some point you have lines recorded and there's only so much you can re-write and re-record.

Late 2025 is best case, 2026 is more realistic. All I know is the gaming world is gonna explode when there's a new elder scrolls. Short of like GTA6 I can't think of many other games that could have as big of an impact this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.