Status
Not open for further replies.

fartynoob

Banned
Jul 1, 2021
Just curious: are you suggesting the subpar Avengers game would have been successful with Game Pass? I'm not so sure.
No. Not really.
I wouldnt call avengers a sub bar game. the game has solid combat animation. But it got ruined by the damage settings. The devs made avengers very weak. But the skills, animation are great.
If they can just make each heroes do its respectful damage from the comics, the game would have been interesting.

Dec 14, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
That's not really true and also all the more reason for Discovery to hold onto it. The MK IP is incredibly valuable as an ongoing video game license, selling it for a one-off cash injection makes little sense.
You only have one answer to most of these issues, and it doesn't appear based on any sort of objective view.

More than seventy percent of the time, I can think, "That's an incredibly pro-Sony POV," and when I look, I see your avatar.

It's fine to have such a biased view, but can we at least acknowledge it's biased? It's based in no way on what's best for the greater gamer culture or common sense.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Gamepass would have lead to more plays day 1 for Avengers, but having players day 1 on Avengers wasn't the issue.

it's that within 2-3 weeks everyone stopped giving a shit. Gamepass wouldn't have solved that.
I thought that a big thing with Avengers was the marketing and that so few people bought it, which lead to the multiplayer aspects being practically dead and then very few people caring much afterwards?

I feel like Game Pass would have fixed the user base issue (especially on PC where the concurrent playerbase at an all time high was like 36 thousand) and probably would have lead to a lot more positive word of mouth as well honestly.

But also, crossplay would have slightly remedied that issue as well.

Just curious: are you suggesting the subpar Avengers game would have been successful with Game Pass? I'm not so sure.
I'm not the guy you're asking, but I can say that yeah, Avengers probably would have been a lot more successful and probably would have lost Square a lot less money (if any money at all) if it was a day one Game Pass game and also had cross play. Avengers doesn't seem like a terrible game, and it's also by no means a master piece either, but it definitely seems like a semi enjoyable game picking up for super cheap or playing on Game Pass.

I feel like the biggest issue with Avengers was that it was a full $60 game and got middling reviews on top of the fact that the player base was extremely limited, so it makes sense to some extent that if it was on Game Pass and more people could have tried it out with no risk attached, that they would have, and that larger population likely would have bought more DLC and interacted with the game more.

I'm not sure the game would have been an outright success, but I definitely feel like it would have done much better

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
They would have lost less money due to the payment for it being on Gamepass, but I'm not sure how significant that would have been.

There's a lot of issues that could have prevented a day one player boost from sticking around.

Outriders also did really well regardless of Gamepass, so I don't think it's a very good example of a game turning around its fortunes in that way.

You only have one answer to most of these issues, and it doesn't appear based on any sort of objective view.

More than seventy percent of the time, I can think, "That's an incredibly pro-Sony POV," and when I look, I see your avatar.

It's fine to have such a biased view, but can we at least acknowledge it's biased? It's based in no way on what's best for the greater gamer culture or common sense.
Nothing I said there has anything to do with Sony, nor where they mentioned, but thanks for making me laugh with the phrase 'the greater gamer culture'.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
The list of big western gaming companies that could make an investment in Japanese game developers by way of acquisition isn't too too long is it? You could probably count them on two hands. I guess it could be one of the more midsized publishers like Big Ben or Paradox, but moving into Asia seems like a hell of a play from one of them. Regardless of how you count it Xbox is probably one of the top 3.

Personally if one of those major players is doing M&A in Japan I'd prefer to see single developers, especially smaller ones or ones that have been confined to mostly co-development or licensed stuff lately. I'll always beat the drum for Mistwalker, White Owls and CyberConnect2, they're great studios with a lot of potential who are frequently kneecapped by the realities of being independent. There's no shortage of good developers or developers with pedigree that haven't done anything of note in a couple of console generations, but those are ones that would excite me personally. And I'm assuming best case, whoever is doing the acquiring is gonna help the studios flourish and not just make them Call of Duty support studios.

I'd hate to see someone buying up the likes of like Sega or Capcom or even Square, not only would it be the end of an era but it'd probably be a pretty bad sign for the Japanese industry, if not the games industry as a whole. Maybe like Level-5 or Falcom, they actually might benefit from becoming part of a western company who could assist with localization and porting, things they both have struggled with more than a bit.

Anyway, the future is uncertain, but I'll try to look on the bright side.

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Really enjoyed the Touryst. I know there's one platforming section that a lot of people had a bunch of trouble with, but I was fortunate enough to get past that on my first few tries, so I had a great time with the game as a whole. Perfect example of something I'd almost certainly have never played if it wasn't on Game Pass.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Monster Train intrigues, I'll give it a shot.

Not sure if they are under the rader but here is my list:

Cross Code
Cybershadow
Katana Zero
Narita Boy
River City Girls
Tohou Luna Nights

As you can see, I'm a 2d junkie lol.

I like a good 2D game, so a few of those have been on my radar, but it's a good reason to prioritize.

Yakuza Like a Dragon has a amazing story. I dunno if that game flys under a radar, though.

It doesn't, and they're not really my jam as a concept, but I have it downloaded to check out thanks to the combat rework.

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
I'll have to check it out, anything else under the radar people are enjoying on GP?

Monster Train and also Darkest Dungeon are definitely addictive. Good picks above.

I couldnt get into narita boy or cybershadow but enjoyed katana zero.

Not on Gamepass, but if you really like 2d metroidvanias, i am currently playing Ender Lillies and thoroughly enjoying it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I claimed the |OT| for Minecraft 1.18 now that it is less than six months away but if anyone wants to collab on it with me I am game! It is my first ever |OT|, I just wanted to make sure there was an |OT| for it. Biggest game in the universe and we don't even have a Minecraft |OT| in Community, it's wild.

Also Microsoft, I know you're reading this, if you make a Minecraft edition Xbox Series X that looks like two stacked Minecraft blocks, I will buy it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check it out, anything else under the radar people are enjoying on GP?

I would recommend The Bard's Tale IV, which seems to be flying under the radar with people. Not necessarily to people looking for an RPG, though it's certainly that, but more to people with a passion for puzzle games that also enjoys RPGs. Everything in the game is practically a puzzle, from the environments to the battles to even some of the weapons, it's almost closer to games like The Talos Principle or The Witness than you would expect from a dungeon crawler.

The puzzles aren't quite as ingenious as in those games and there is some repetition in later areas, but it's still throughly enjoyable for puzzle fans. The Gaelic soundtrack also lends it more personality than one would imagine looking at the somewhat drab screenshots. It's so distinct, so memorable, so... Exactly like you wanted Bard's Tale to sound.

I don't know how the Xbox version runs, since I played it on PC Game Pass, but that version could have used a little more polish. It's awesome to see the reception to Wasteland 3, which is such a fantastic game, but Inxile has another title on Game Pass (several actually) worth a look.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend The Bard's Tale IV, which seems to be flying under the radar with people. Not necessarily to people looking for an RPG, though it's certainly that, but more to people with a passion for puzzle games that also enjoys RPGs. Everything in the game is practically a puzzle, from the environments to the battles to even some of the weapons, it's almost closer to games like The Talos Principle or The Witness than you would expect from a dungeon crawler.

The puzzles aren't quite as ingenious as in those games and there is some repetition in later areas, but it's still throughly enjoyable for puzzle fans. The Gaelic soundtrack also lends it more personality than one would imagine looking at the somewhat drab screenshots. It's so distinct, so memorable, so... Exactly like you wanted Bard's Tale to sound.

I don't know how the Xbox version runs, since I played it on PC Game Pass, but that version could have used a little more polish. It's awesome to see the reception to Wasteland 3, which is such a fantastic game, but Inxile has another title on Game Pass (several actually) worth a look.

Wow, I haven't played this yet but sounds like I should give it a shot!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I haven't played this yet but sounds like I should give it a shot!
I tried it and as someone who loved the originals way back when they came out I couldn't get into it. I might have missed something obvious, but navigating around the world was a chore and I ran into a mandatory battle that I couldn't get past. I loved old school Bards Tale and loved Wasteland 3, but hated BT4.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who bounced off Yakuza 0 about 3 times, I'm shocked by how much I'm loving Like a Dragon. Ichiban is just a great character and I prefer the Turn Based combat to a beat-em up.

Only gripe is, I wish it was fully voiced. It mostly is, but sometimes it's odd when I feel like what is an important beat is text-only. It's not a deal-breaker or anything just a bit odd.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Spider-Man nonsense made me not buy it, but Gamepass would have made me play it
I got it for free (PC) for being a Verizon customer. That's the right price. It certainly seems like their goal was to nickel and dime people to death for shitty skins, so getting it out to a wider audience would have been smart, but the Spider-Man thing was already dumb and garnered a lot of ill-will, rightfully so. Funnily enough Spider-Man might not even make it this year. The game is already basically dead and by the time Spider-Man comes out it'll be even less popular.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who bounced off Yakuza 0 about 3 times, I'm shocked by how much I'm loving Like a Dragon. Ichiban is just a great character and I prefer the Turn Based combat to a beat-em up.

Only gripe is, I wish it was fully voiced. It mostly is, but sometimes it's odd when I feel like what is an important beat is text-only. It's not a deal-breaker or anything just a bit odd.
My feelings exactly. For years I've tried to get into the Yakuza series but everytime I'd play for a couple hours and just get bored with it.

With like a Dragon I just can't put the game down. I think it's the turn based combat and the lighter more comedic tone of the game.

I hope the series stays this way going forward.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My feelings exactly. For years I've tried to get into the Yakuza series but everytime I'd play for a couple hours and just get bored with it.

With like a Dragon I just can't put the game down. I think it's the turn based combat and the lighter more comedic tone of the game.

I think they've said that Yakuza will remain turn based and Judgement will remain real-time combat.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

I found this to be the case with all the games prior to Yakuza 0 but that game's story hooked me enough to sink a decent amount of time in it. Judgment was even better. Like a Dragon is absurdly brilliant and it has so much charm. Easily my favorite JRPG of the last few years.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found this to be the case with all the games prior to Yakuza 0 but that game's story hooked me enough to sink a decent amount of time in it. Judgment was even better. Like a Dragon is absurdly brilliant and it has so much charm. Easily my favorite JRPG of the last few years.
It's funny how GamePass has given us DQ11, Octopath, and Yakuza 7 in relatively short order. Fans of JRPGs have eaten well.

FatCamperBear

Nov 19, 2020

Thanks for this, I didn't want to try Like a Dragon because couldn't get into the first two games (I know it's weird since everyone recommended the series), now you made me want to download it and play it!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Currently replaying Morrowind on GP. I'm amazed at how many details I remember. Quest to go find some relatively obscure NPC in Balmora? I can walk right up to her house without a second thought. Go talk to this person in Mar Gaan? Don't even need the directions. One of the artifacts, Mentor's Ring, is in some random crypt in the southwest swamps? I know exactly how to get there. All the NPC names even started coming back to me as I walked around new towns.

The game has certainly aged and might be difficult for newcomers to get into, but I'll be damned if this isn't still the best game I've ever played. The background history of this title makes it all the more impressive. After a few commercial disasters, Bethesda Games Studio was running on fumes and on the verge of shutdown. Todd Howard made the pitch to go big or go broke with this alien world on OG Xbox and PC, not sure if console players could even play a game like this, and the rest is history. Who knows if Arkane, MachineGames, Tango, or Id would even be operating right now, let alone part of Xbox.

It always struck me that, during the BGS segment of the Xbox/Bethesda roundtable, Ashley Chang (BGS's representative) put it: "On behalf of everyone at BGS, I wanna thank everyone who played Morrowind back in the day, and every game we've made since." There's certainly a reverence around the game. It's always missing in those "most influential games" threads, but Morrowind's success made a lot of later things possible. Might be worthy of a separate thread.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently at Yakuza 6. After the 2nd game, I had enough bullshit and set the games on easy to get to Yakuza 7 fast.

63d9cdb0-246c-4fae-898b-33a0e6635521.png

I hope we can use this line in the OT one day lol.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Update: Remi Sklar from Warner Bros. Games contacted TheGamer in response to the rumours, saying: "I can confirm NetherRealm Studios and TT Games will continue to remain a part of Warner Bros. Games, and all are included in the Warner Media Discovery merger."

This doesn't necessarily disprove anything, but I have to say it feels like we're getting a lot more rumours that are a lot less accurate these days...

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently at Yakuza 6. After the 2nd game, I had enough bullshit and set the games on easy to get to Yakuza 7 fast.

63d9cdb0-246c-4fae-898b-33a0e6635521.png

I hope we can use this line in the OT one day lol.

I didn't even play 0, went straight to 7. Although I'm considering going back and getting those completed after this.

7 is such an awesome game.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even play 0, went straight to 7. Although I'm considering going back and getting those completed after this.

7 is such an awesome game.

I would always recommend playing all of them before 7, I kept reading you don't need to play 0 - 6 to enjoy 7 but in all honestly from chapter 12 onwards there are seriously strong references to previous games and if you didn't play the first games you wouldn't really appreciate it as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.