• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Jospeph Staten...can we talk about where this guy would have a chance to build his own world again?

If only there was a studio with strong technical capabilities that needed a creative person...

...like Bluepoint.

Oct 26, 2017
Why would the next gen console have less TFs than the X? Seems like a marketing disaster, even despite the obvious increased CPU.
I could see the next gen base Xbox being slightly weaker than the "X-beast 1". then "X-beast 2" being a powerhouse that outshines it again.

also, having better hardware, and perhaps custom built stuff on the board that does very specific things for hardware, like a chip that is specialized in raytracing or some shit. (talking out my ass atm)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why would the next gen console have less TFs than the X? Seems like a marketing disaster, even despite the obvious increased CPU.

Cost. When the cutoff between next gen and this gen happens, it'll be due to the CPU, not GPU.

Also APIs are getting better. Checkerboarding is getting better. If you had a 4-5 Tflop machine that had enough memory to handle the detail, a cherboarded 4K with a Zen 2 is easily a better overall machine than the X but could likely be sold at an entry level price point.

Also tflops aren't the entire equation when it comes to graphics. Next gen customizations in 4 tflops could be more capable than the 6 tflops in the X.

The mainstream who would buy the lower end model is likely upgrading from the S (1.3 Tflops), not the X. X customers are your enthusiasts who are the same types of customers that will upgrade to the monster.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Most of you will have it easier if you just ignore Lockhart. Lockhart is not really aimed towards anyone on this forum really. It's designed with a good price in mind first and foremost - to allow next-gen gaming for people new to consoles, obviously at lower specs. It's just an alternative. The device aimed towards you guys is called Anaconda - and this device will be the strongest next-gen device.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Most of you will have it easier if you just ignore Lockhart. Lockhart is not really aimed towards anyone on this forum really. It's designed with a good price in mind first and foremost - to allow next-gen gaming for people new to consoles.
I plan on getting both consoles next-gen so if Lockhart is more affordable that's good for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Most of you will have it easier if you just ignore Lockhart. Lockhart is not really aimed towards anyone on this forum really. It's designed with a good price in mind first and foremost - to allow next-gen gaming for people new to consoles.
it also makes sense. IF the X is ever so slightly better than lockhart, it means that people that bought 1-X dont have to upgrade immediately it should be strong enough to play the newer games, but lets be honest. people that bought the 1-x would buy the 2-x the instant its announced.

but microsoft really needs to lockdown a friggin' naming convention

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I dunno about anyone else here, but I am not ready for all this new console talk as I have very little desire for a new console ATM..
A lot of us just got a OneX a little over a year ago and personally it does everything I could want out of a modern console.

I'm not sure I feel any innate desire to get a new console, I'm really hoping there are not exclusive games for these things.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's clear than between delivery via Lockhart, PA and xCloud, and the talk of any device and "2 billion gamers", Microsoft's goal next generation is to have the Xbox platform (and by that I literally mean platform across all delivery methods, not specifically console hardware) accessible to as many people as is physically possible. And the advantages of that for all of us would be surely tremendous, especially for what it might mean for Game Pass.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Man, I dunno about anyone else here, but I am not ready for a new console.
A lot of us just got a OneX a little over a year ago and personally it does everything I could want out of a modern console.

I'm not sure I feel any innate desire to get a new console, I'm really hoping there are not exclusive games for these things.
The new consoles are 2 years away man.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
I'm trying to come up with an explanation for not trying to at least match the X in GPU power but I can't imagine a scenario. I'm just curious as to why they'd do that, since I imagine there'd be no need to go as low as 4 TF in 2020 just to have a powerful CPU at a low price. Also, what happens to the X in that case? So many questions man lol

Edit: I type too slow, quite a few good answers above me already

Oct 26, 2017
It's clear than between delivery via Lockhart, PA and xCloud, and the talk of any device and "2 billion gamers", Microsoft's goal next generation is to have the Xbox platform (and by that I literally mean platform across all delivery methods, not specifically console hardware) accessible to as many people as is physically possible. And the advantages of that for all of us would be surely tremendous, especially for what it might mean for Game Pass.
in my mind. the "surface phone" is now the "Xbox switch".

why do I do this to myself. :(

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Most of you will have it easier if you just ignore Lockhart. Lockhart is not really aimed towards anyone on this forum really. It's designed with a good price in mind first and foremost - to allow next-gen gaming for people new to consoles, obviously at lower specs. It's just an alternative. The device aimed towards you guys is called Anaconda.

I'm really excited to see MS's launch plans. Offering a entry unit for people who don't want all the bells and whistles but want to get in on the next COD are going to eat this up especially at $250-$300. Then you have everyone like me who want the best will get MS's monster of a console. All available day 1 and with amazing services like gamepass and XBL. It's going to be one hell of a year :)

Seriously all MS has to do is 2020 holiday partner up with COD or Fortnite and bundle it with the entry unit at $250-$300 then it's game over. They're going to sell like hotcakes

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't confirm anything related to the software part and the acquisition part.
And I don't want to for now.

Edit: clarify.

Last edited:

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Since hmqgg doesn't know about the rest of the info or doesn't believe it is happening I wouldn't post as new thread. While the hardware is somewhat true, there is now a giant question mark on whether or not the rest is true or redditer just got lucky with hardware. I still believe that this reddit post is based on educated guesses based on rumors and speculation from this thread, Klobrille, Jez Corden, and Brad Sams now if relic or platinum get confirmed as MS studios I will take that back completely but I doubt it.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't confirm anything related to the software part and the acquisition part.
And I don't want to for now.

Edit: clarify.

Hello there Klobrille
giphy.gif

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Man if MS got Platinum.

The forum would explode

Just putting Scalebound back in the hopper would be huge news...even as a reinstated 2nd party project.

If we were to list all the big failures of this gen for Xbox, they've reversed almost all of them. Announcing Fable, Scalebound and Phantom Dust at 2020 would complete the circle.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
4 Tfops Navi can be better than 6 Tflops in Scorpio. :)
4 tflops at 1080p are way more powerful than 6 tflops at 4K. At this rates XBOX Scarlet 1 will be a full hd console at 4 tflops, PS5 a 1440p one at 8-9 tflops and Scarlet 2 a 4k one at 12 tflops. If true Sony better have a good automatic method of scaling to 4K.
What a pity how resolution eats tflops. Imagine the graphics of a 12 tflop console at full hd.

Last edited:

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum seem like they have their hands in alot of things already Babylons falls, Neir sequel, and bayo 3

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
if ms gets platinum by e3 or the next xo phil should totally do a oh one more thing

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, the head of Gaming at Xbox FR posted this yesterday
Although I don't think it means anything at all (regarding new games or studios). Probably just Satya doing the rounds of MS branches worldwide as would be normal for the boss of any other company from time to time

I see that Greenberg is doing the rounds, he's in Germany now.

I would imagine he's just doing the rounds and visiting the Xbox PR and marketing teams for a few countries.

Also, thank God for hmqgg :)

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
About the reddit leak.

1. The hardware is partially true
  2. Storage is true
  3. Raytracing is true
  4. Lockhart is not Streaming box
  5. Xbox SoC codename is Anubis, check AMD's plan
  6. MS AI is not a part of the hardware, in other words, never heard of TPU or ASIC like it
  7. How to implement Raytracing? See GDC 2019
  8. Why they make a decision like Lockhart? See GDC 2019
  9. Why there still no DevKit? After GDC 2019
mmm yessssssss.
Monday, March 18 will be a good time for 7, 8 and 9. :)

now i need to read what they said about the hardware for anaconda lol!

edit: ugh, i cant findthe info.. can anyone help? lol

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Status
Not open for further replies.