• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I could do a whole post on things I'd like to see from Gears 5, perhaps as we draw closer to E3. This is my first post in this thread btw, though I've been following the action for years. It's this thread that made me sign up, and as we inch nearer to E3 I figured it was a good time to start to contribute. So thank you Klob, the informative Mods, and everyone else for keeping this such an entertaining thread to follow.
Since this flew under the radar a few pages back, WELCOME (to posting)! Those are some interesting insights. I don't forsee a lot of fundamental gameplay changes to gears. Lots of tight but expressive spaces have been shown off in trailers and even in that spatial audio demo. I do hope it is organized a bit differently though, just personally. I have a hard time getting into the endless corridor/lane shooter. Break it up just a little with optional exploration. Horde is fine but not my personal favorite.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
If MS go for some more studios, I'd love to see them pick up a few such as Nightschool or Playdead. I love those types of game and think they would really add a point of differentiation to the competition. Get 3 smaller studios like Nighschool and get them to release something on a 3 year dev cycle, sort of like an indie version of COD. Every year, MS will have at least 1 first party indie-darling at E3.

That said, Playdead take aeons to make games, so maybe not them!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think 343 knows exactly what they are writing here :)

8ce1c56b-1f72-4d5f-9h8jgj.jpeg
"Endless gameplay opportunities" stands out to me. I'm really curious about what they mean by that.

And mystery and wonder is exactly what the recent Halo games have been missing, so I'm really happy it's addressed here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
If MS go for some more studios, I'd love to see them pick up a few such as Nightschool or Playdead. I love those types of game and think they would really add a point of differentiation to the competition. Get 3 smaller studios like Nighschool and get them to release something on a 3 year dev cycle, sort of like an indie version of COD. Every year, MS will have at least 1 first party indie-darling at E3.

That said, Playdead take aeons to make games, so maybe not them!
Well. It's not like Microsoft already has a publishing arm and an indie focused service that could enable them to fund indie devs or buy indie games that look promising, without committing very small teams to unrealistic expectations... It doesn't really make sense to do it that way IMO.

Maybe the (supposedly nonexistent) 2nd party track might work. Work closely with respected indie publishers, fund them separately for general operations, with the expectation that Microsoft gets an early look at what's coming. Not guaranteeing exclusivity (if Xbox even wants that), but just keeping relationships going. Any indie publisher would love just 200k a year to support a few more staff or to shore up development to get to a milestone. You could do that for 10 indie publishers, make lots of friends, get a pretty good stab at taking first dibs on a decent percentage of their games all for just 2 million - a fraction of the price of buying any new studios.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Endless gameplay opportunities" stands out to me. I'm really curious about what they mean by that.

And mystery and wonder is exactly what the recent Halo games have been missing, so I'm really happy it's addressed here.

Imagine if Forge Infinite gave Dreams a run for its money.

Actually...imagine if they did take a load of their experience from Kodu and Spark and put that into Forge.

Last edited:

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
4-5 third party games is way less than any of their past E3s.

Exactly, quality beats quantity. We don't need to see trash like Battlefield, Shadow of TR, Desert Black, Captain Spirit, Just cause 4 etc focus on quality not quantity

Dying Light 2, DMC5, Tunic, Cyberpunk (even though I don't care for it) Metro, Sekiro. Those are worth having on stage, the rest not so much.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Open world Halo sounds incredible to me. Imagine having he ability to explore installations on the ring, entirely optional.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Exactly, quality beats quantity. We don't need to see trash like Battlefield, Shadow of TR, Desert Black, Captain Spirit, Just cause 4 etc focus on quality not quantity

Dying Light 2, DMC5, Tunic, Cyberpunk (even though I don't care for it) Metro, Sekiro. Those are worth having on stage, the rest not so much.
Personal opinions, man.
Besides, MS takes what they can get for marketing deals. You never know what might be the next Fortnite, or the next HellBlade.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Fully expect Halo Infinite to be the only mainline game that's released next gen.

It will be a platform that's updated with new content etc

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Besides, MS takes what they can get for marketing deals. You never know what might be the next Fortnite, or the next HellBlade.

Or the next Anthem....

Also marketing deals are a waste considering that the games are still going to sell more on the PS4 and even possibly the PC. I don't see how the DMC5 Marketing deal helped Xbox, or an exclusive demo. How did the Battlefield V marketing deal etc. How did these benefit Xbox?

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Or the next Anthem....

Also marketing deals are a waste considering that the games are still going to sell more on the PS4 and even possibly the PC. I don't see how the DMC5 Marketing deal helped Xbox, or an exclusive demo. How did the Battlefield V marketing deal etc. How did these benefit Xbox?
They need to keep up good third-party relations for continued support this and next generation, and marketing their games for them is one way to do that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Or the next Anthem....

The goal isn't to get them to sell more on Xbox than PS4. How does that make any sense with double the PS4s sold? These deals benefit Xbox because it helps sell more of these games on Xbox than they would have and it associates the Xbox brand with some of the biggest games of the year.

Last edited:

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Also MS still wants any game to sell decent on Xbox. Maybe not better than on other platforms, but enough to make porting the games worth it.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I've been playing We Happy Few a fair bit recently. It's a very, very odd game in its attempt to marry sandbox with narrative, and it doesn't really work... but there is a lot about it I enjoy, and I feel like it has verve, style, imagination, and a lot of thought behind it (even if ultimately it's all hamstrung by the weird overall design), all things that I think bode well.

I have little interest in WHF but I also never liked games like Bioshock or Dishonored. However those games seem to benefit from having a more linear structure (although I know Dishonored had a larger hub world) it seems that Compulsion can make a higher quality game if they made a more streamlined, 8-10 experience. Their story telling, visual art style along with simplified streamlined experience. A $40 game could probably sell well and be perfect for Game Pass.

One of my favorite games this gen was Ratchet and Clank 2016, it was short (6-8 hours) but it was extremely polished, was gorgeous, solid gameplay mechanics and $40.

Those are the kind of games that Compulsion, Rare and to an extent Ninja Theory should be making (although I'd like for NT to make bigger AAA games as well) and would fit perfectly for Game Pass. $40 but extremely polished games that they can pump out on a regular basis and leave the bigger AAA games to Playground/Coalition/Initiative etc

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Wish MS bought Splash Damage and Ruffian as permanent support studio's.

I'd rather they buy Certain Affinity but I imagine it's cheaper to just give them contract work. As long as they keep doing a good job I'm sure MS will continue to go to them and give them a steady stream of projects/jobs and keep them employed.

I use to really push for MS to buy Moon Studios, but I think they have a good enough relationship and I think their publishing deal with MS will continue ei MS owning the IP's as long as MS puts them on the Switch as well.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i think we'll get a small teaser trailer for halo 5 - not the engine, but the game itself (cutscenes, gameplay, etc.). i also think we'll get a bigger, beefier trailer for the multiplayer and an announcement for when flighting will begin a few months later, 2019.

I doubt it..., bonnie said expect more on slipspace at e3

i dont remember the exact quote, but she mentioned one of the leads on slipscae would be at e3 talking about the engine. i'm not sure how that implies thats all they are showing or discussing in total. they could absolutely reveal the game AND talk about how their new engine works.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Yep. That's exactly what I expect, too.

No matter what, Halo Infinite will be a huge game. In fact easily the biggest Xbox first-party has ever created if you think about both the resources and time that get invested in this project.

When I look at the amount of people on the game and length of development I wonder if it's one of the most expensive/most man hours games ever made. I'm guessing easily top ten maybe top 5.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Gears 5 is going to be the best third person shooter this gen.

Best game in the franchise as well.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I'd argue that Gears 4 was only ever a demo for Gears 5.

It was just The Coalition warming up, givingthr fans a taste before the real deal

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
i think we'll get a small teaser trailer for halo 5 - not the engine, but the game itself (cutscenes, gameplay, etc.). i also think we'll get a bigger, beefier trailer for the multiplayer and an announcement for when flighting will begin a few months later, 2019.

i dont remember the exact quote, but she mentioned one of the leads on slipscae would be at e3 talking about the engine. i'm not sure how that implies thats all they are showing or discussing in total. they could absolutely reveal the game AND talk about how their new engine works.

again I doubt it, I expect gameplay blow out next year.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I'd argue that Gears 4 was only ever a demo for Gears 5.

It was just The Coalition warming up, givingthr fans a taste before the real deal

I put over 120 hours into Gears 4 and think its an extremely polished, quality game. The Coalition with a smaller team and only 2 years really proved that they can be a stand out developer.

Now 3 years, the groundwork being laid down and 350+ developers, they need to murder it with Gears 5, prove once and for all that they're an elite developer.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
4-5 third party games is way less than any of their past E3s.

Besides, Xbox's 2018 E3 was almost unanimously the 'winner' for that year, is strongly regarded as the best presser MS has ever done, and by some is perceived as one of the best E3 showings of this decade. Most of that can be attributed to the absolute deluge of quality titles - 1st party, 3rd, or otherwise.

The resounding footnote on most reviews was that it was a "Great show for gamers, weak show for Xbox" but pulling back on 3rd party content won't correct the problem. MS needs to bolster their first-party presence to ensure it's a 'great show for gamers' and a "great show for Xbox users".

3rd party content absolutely should remain a crucial pillar of the show. They should be trying to promote the idea that 'If you're a gamer, regardless of platform, this is THE show to watch' by showcasing a barrage of great games, all while extolling the virtues of Xbox as a platform - 'the best place to play', '4k only on Xbox One X', 'Gamepass', 'backwards compatability', etc.

That's how they grow their audience and marketshare, and get the most out of E3 as a marketing platform - not just through appealing to users already in the Xbox ecosystem, but by also getting PC, Playstation, Switch and mobile gamers alike to tune in for x/y/z blockbuster 3rd party, and punctuating it with their own output. 'Hey, that Fable/Gears/Ninja-Theory game they showed right after Cyberpunk looked awesome! I kinda wanna [buy an Xbox][Subscribe to Gamepass][Buy it on Windows][Sub to XCloud] now'

agree

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
and thats fine. its all speculation. i've just seen that bonnie ross quote used a few times to make the point that they are only, again, demoing and talking about the engine. i don't think thats what the quote means at all - or at least has to mean.

it would be a pleasant surprise, but I think GEARS will get all the hype push this year with a Halo blowout next year.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
and thats fine. its all speculation. i've just seen that bonnie ross quote used a few times to make the point that they are only, again, demoing and talking about the engine. i don't think thats what the quote means at all - or at least has to mean.

With Gears 5 coming they should keep all attention to the gameplay for it mostly. Engine info and details of development is what I really want for now from Halo Infinite. It takes time and polish to show gameplay to the best of it's design so with Halo Infinite it would be best to delve into gameplay next year if it's a 2020 title. Gears 5 though I have a feeling it's going to really blow us away with how it's going to be

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
With Gears 5 coming they should keep all attention to the gameplay for it mostly. Engine info and details of development is what I really want for now from Halo Infinite. It takes time and polish to show gameplay to the best of it's design so with Halo Infinite it would be best to delve into gameplay next year if it's a 2020 title. Gears 5 though I have a feeling it's going to really blow us away with how it's going to be

i think infinite will follow gears 5 lead. like last year, a small glimpse of gameplay/story, blowout next year. i dont think this will overshadow gears which we will see a huge amount of real gameplay.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently some Xbox German site had a few people go to GDC and one of them heard 3 times that Halo Infinite's budget is over 500mil

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Apparently some Xbox German site had a few people go to GDC and one of them heard 3 times that Halo Infinite's budget is over 500mil
Do we know what the budgets for Halo 4 and 5 were?

Edit- Looking at a list of games with the biggest budgets, the most expensive game ever made is GTA 5 with a $265 million budget....

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018

So basically they'd need 50 million subscribers to pay 10$ to break even.

I imagine that the engine cost quite a bit. Long term investment.

Anyone know the budget for Halo 4/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.