• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2018
FYI for anyone who subscribed to Sling TV- I got an email for thanking me for being a subscriber with a code for 1 free month of Xbox Game Pass. Doesn't appear tied to any renewal or new user deals, so thought I'd share for anyone who may already be subscribed to keep an eye on your email!

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
A lot of people - yes, even some in this thread - should print this out and stick to their monitors. The negativity sometimes is just absurd.

Acting like respectable human beings is appreciated?! Who would have known...

It's why I never really bother with Twitter threads or *gulp* YouTube comments. Forums/subreddits for as faulty as they still are they are way better way to see what people actually think.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm rarely in this thread, but I wonder if it's feasible for Gears 5 to do what Crackdown/MCC did; a separate install for the single and multi player. I love Gears, but having to reinstall Gears 4's massive 115gbs just to play the single player is nuts. A lot of that, and the updates, are multiplayer which I have no interest in.
The MCC system of letting you download chunks of a game is probably the solution

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
I'm rarely in this thread, but I wonder if it's feasible for Gears 5 to do what Crackdown/MCC did; a separate install for the single and multi player. I love Gears, but having to reinstall Gears 4's massive 115gbs just to play the single player is nuts. A lot of that, and the updates, are multiplayer which I have no interest in.
Id be suprised if they didnt let you select what to download. More like MCC and less like Crackdown, that way you only have one exe.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'm still amazed at how great games look on the X in 4K. Just turned on Forza Horizon 4 again. Seriously can't imagine how much things will improve on Scarlet. The X already feels next gen to me.

Aug 23, 2018
It would be jarring if they had a segment dedicated to Halo with no game play two E3s in a row.

I am curious how they handle it though, with it most definitely being a cross generational title. I'd have to think they show us Scarlett game play, but if it looks as stunning as rumors have suggest, they couldn't pretend it's footage from an Xbox One.

Can't wait for E3. 66 days....

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the former CEO of onlive did a little thing with GameInformer where he talks about Google Stadia, and more generally the pricing model for games streaming. Some interesting information about what they saw with OnLive, in particular he says they saw some publishers actually make more money from a straight streaming subscription that just included their new game at no additional charge than they made from retail sales of the same new game.

Something he also talks about is how a streaming subscription model could effect games in general. Basically he thinks that it could move people away from the freemium model, and more towards making games a lot of people want to play. It makes sense, if it came down to "We make money based on how many people play our game and how much they play it", you could start to see less predatory practices targeted at whales and more just trying to make a variety of games that appeal to a lot of different people. I'm sure you'd still see plenty of microtransactions and things like that, but at least maybe it will drive publishers to take a few more risks and go after a few more niche audiences, expanding their reach / revenue share.
Sure.. But the model where devs get paid by time spent is also suspect. The freemium model is built to monopolize money AND TIME. They're endless skinner boxes and many to drain the life from you. Payment by time is wrought with dangers. Personally, I prefer payment by users backed by up front payment. That mirrors the incentives of normal development and the market, incentivizes promotion of the game, but doesn't force devs to fundamentally reshape the games.

I'm sure Gears 5 will be fine, I just don't want this stalling to become a trend. Like, imagine if Playground's new game get a bombastic trailer this year, and then PG has to hush up about the game all the way until E3 2020, with nary a peep of information to behold.
It wouldn't be fun.

Man, I hope so. I need faster everything for Next-gen.
That's like the opposite of what people are asking for here. They want info now, way early to get "hyped". But then.. If it's early.. There's gonna be stalling and silence. To many hills and valleys doesn't cut it in this attention economy. Let us know it exists, then show it to us when you are ready to blow us away. I don't mind a short cycle.

ha I know exactly what change he is referring to. some sea of thieves insiders are not happy and they don't really know how to voice their criticism in a calm manner.
Or perhaps weighing in on the sekiro difficulty debate

Id be suprised if they didnt let you select what to download. More like MCC and less like Crackdown, that way you only have one exe.
Yea, I would be very annoyed if even first party AAA games didn't implement Intelligent Delivery to split games up internally.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Just no need. Gears 5 reception was great. E3 is in 2 months and you get your Gears stuff blowout for 4 months after it.

I can't disregard the near whole year of waiting for new footage/info. I mean, Gears is one of my favorite franchises and its not like they have been releasing a slew of awesome first party games since then. I just reasonably expected to know and see more of the game by now.

I just dont want to see it get eclipsed by other games at the show as Halo Infinity stole the attention last E3

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Sure.. But the model where devs get paid by time spent is also suspect. The freemium model is built to monopolize money AND TIME. They're endless skinner boxes and many to drain the life from you. Payment by time is wrought with dangers. Personally, I prefer payment by users backed by up front payment. That mirrors the incentives of normal development and the market, incentivizes promotion of the game, but doesn't force devs to fundamentally reshape the games.

Yeah, no, that's true too. I don't really know what the perfect model is, I know what I want, but I don't know what's gonna happen, or where to put my faith in terms of who the eventual system will be best for.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I imagine third parties are blowing up Phil and Matts phones begging to be showcased at E3

Hope they limit it to maybe 4-5 third party games. Sadly Cyberpunk will most likely be there

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I imagine third parties are blowing up Phil and Matts phones begging to be showcased at E3

Hope they limit it to maybe 4-5 third party games. Sadly Cyberpunk will most likely be there
4-5 third party games is way less than any of their past E3s.

Besides, Xbox's 2018 E3 was almost unanimously the 'winner' for that year, is strongly regarded as the best presser MS has ever done, and by some is perceived as one of the best E3 showings of this decade. Most of that can be attributed to the absolute deluge of quality titles - 1st party, 3rd, or otherwise.

The resounding footnote on most reviews was that it was a "Great show for gamers, weak show for Xbox" but pulling back on 3rd party content won't correct the problem. MS needs to bolster their first-party presence to ensure it's a 'great show for gamers' and a "great show for Xbox users".

3rd party content absolutely should remain a crucial pillar of the show. They should be trying to promote the idea that 'If you're a gamer, regardless of platform, this is THE show to watch' by showcasing a barrage of great games, all while extolling the virtues of Xbox as a platform - 'the best place to play', '4k only on Xbox One X', 'Gamepass', 'backwards compatability', etc.

That's how they grow their audience and marketshare, and get the most out of E3 as a marketing platform - not just through appealing to users already in the Xbox ecosystem, but by also getting PC, Playstation, Switch and mobile gamers alike to tune in for x/y/z blockbuster 3rd party, and punctuating it with their own output. 'Hey, that Fable/Gears/Ninja-Theory game they showed right after Cyberpunk looked awesome! I kinda wanna [buy an Xbox][Subscribe to Gamepass][Buy it on Windows][Sub to XCloud] now'

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is Halo Infinite being considered a reboot? It could very well just be open world with rather iterative Halo gameplay. Would that be such a big change?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Halo Infinite being considered a reboot? It could very well just be open world with rather iterative Halo gameplay. Would that be such a big change?

It was mentioned as being a continuation of the story, but a good entry point for new fans. So it'll be somewhat of a refresh, but not a reboot.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
From what they have said and the aesthetic of the video, it looks like they're gunning for the H1 feeling.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious to me what Halo: Infinite is. It's not numbered. It's probably open world-ish. It reinvents the wheel while keeping many gameplay elements in place. It will have a new approach for post-launch support. It will have a continuation of the Halo 5 story, while also being understandable for newcomers (unlike 4 or 5). They are, by all means, trying to have their BOTW or God Of War moment here.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still amazed at how great games look on the X in 4K. Just turned on Forza Horizon 4 again. Seriously can't imagine how much things will improve on Scarlet. The X already feels next gen to me.

The X will be the first console I don't sell/trade in/donate once the new gen rolls around.

Between the power it has and backwards compatibility, I can't imagine a time where it won't have a place for me, even if it's just as a second system in a bedroom or something. At the point where it runs many games across 3 generations of consoles at 4K resolutions, it becomes almost timeless for me.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
The X will be the first console I don't sell/trade in/donate once the new gen rolls around.

Between the power it has and backwards compatibility, I can't imagine a time where it won't have a place for me, even if it's just as a second system in a bedroom or something. At the point where it runs many games across 3 generations of consoles at 4K resolutions, it becomes almost timeless for me.
Until the Nextbox is revealed to do the exact same thing but better.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's obvious to me what Halo: Infinite is. It's not numbered. It's probably open world-ish. It reinvents the wheel while keeping many gameplay elements in place. It will have a new approach for post-launch support. It will have a continuation of the Halo 5 story, while also being understandable for newcomers (unlike 4 or 5). They are, by all means, trying to have their BOTW or God Of War moment here.
Yep. That's exactly what I expect, too.

No matter what, Halo Infinite will be a huge game. In fact easily the biggest Xbox first-party has ever created if you think about both the resources and time that get invested in this project.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

No matter what, Halo Infinite will be a huge game. In fact easily the biggest Xbox first-party has ever created if you think about both the resources and time that get invested in this project.
I am certainly interested is what happens with Halo and if they can prevent the massive slump the series has been in. Bringing back the Halo 1 sense of wonder when you appeared on Halo needs to be the thing for Infinite. I want a wondrous world that is living and breathing with life...and grunts.

Also, I want to see what they do with Forge as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Until the Nextbox is revealed to do the exact same thing but better.

Well I'll be buying the next Xbox the second it's available and that'll be my main system, of course.

But like I say, the X runs 3 generations worth of games really damn well, with numerous performance boosts. I'll definitely be keeping it around for a while as a second system for another room.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The reveal trailer was just an engine showcase, but it's saying so much about the design philosophy. They are not trying to hype specific story elements anymore. They are just putting Master Chief in an exciting new world to explore, the kind of exploration of the unknown that characterized Halo: CE before we moved into the sci-fi space opera (for better or worse) from Halo 2 onwards. Games like God Of War 2018, BOTW, Tomb Raider 2013 found great success by doing exactly that: not everything from the past games was thrown away, but they stopped digging heavily into past lore, offering a brand new world to explore with new mechanics that can awe fans and newcomers alike. I have no doubt this is exactly what Halo Infinite is trying to do. Whether they succeed is, of course, a whole other story.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am certainly interested is what happens with Halo and if they can prevent the massive slump the series has been in. Bringing back the Halo 1 sense of wonder when you appeared on Halo needs to be the thing for Infinite. I want a wondrous world that is living and breathing with life...and grunts.

Also, I want to see what they do with Forge as well.
I think 343 knows exactly what they are writing here :)

8ce1c56b-1f72-4d5f-9h8jgj.jpeg

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Just DO NOT ask me to hunt a space-deer to get +1 pelt resources for my so-streamlined-it-might-as-well-not-exist crafting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.