• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
XGS is only lacking in Nordic and Japanese development hubs/studios, there is also France.

do you guys think XGS need a big time developer?...is it necessary...personally i dont think so though i like the kind of studios been picked up but i have heard some suggestions from others that xbox needs a big time studio
They already have a lot of big studios (200+) 343, Coalition, Playground, Obsidian, Minecraft and Rare (potentially the Initiative.) I don't know if they would want any more tbh.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I don't know about the big-time developer but I definitely think they need a Japanese developer though. They need to have various Japanese focused genres covered.
If they cannot buy one, they need to get back to that partnership they had with Mistwalker, maybe we get Cry On.
I wish game companies invested in new regions like Latin America, India, or MENA. I feel like there's so many interesting stories that can be told and new POV's that normally get neglected that would make for great games. I know why these regions are neglected, but there is such an opportunity to grow in these areas and bring something new and unique to the gaming market.
Gaming is a long term play, and businesses like to play it safe unless they see something really promising. Outside that, you will simply see them hiring talent from those areas and incorporating them into their established studios.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
man .. minimizing the amazing talent that XGS already has ... ooof ....
we just have to be patient and wait to see what they start to churn out.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
do you guys think XGS need a big time developer?...is it necessary...personally i dont think so though i like the kind of studios been picked up but i have heard some suggestions from others that xbox needs a big time studio
No lol. They have more than enough great studios already, but obviously the more the merrier.

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Gaming is a long term play, and businesses like to play it safe unless they see something really promising. Outside that, you will simply see them hiring talent from those areas and incorporating them into their established studios.
I understand that, but even if people are hired from that region, it feels like making a story actually revolve around someone from that region is a far way off. Like, if movies/games is just starting to pay attention to making stories about minorities in the US, the chance of them turning an eye towards us feels like it's going to take forever. But it's not like the regions are bereft of opportunity though, India is growing like crazy, people where I live are starting to get more used to the idea of subscriptions, there IS a huge growth potential.

Apr 6, 2018
It's not really a matter of quality, but mostly because Double Fine is another studio based in North America. Even worse, it's the fourth studio based in California and the eight based on The West Coast.

As an European, I just feel like a second-class citizen. Microsoft seems to only focus on english-speaking countries and don't care about the rest of the world. Their only studio outside of United States/United Kingdom/Canada isn't even called by its name in Microsoft's PR, but only as the "Minecraft" team.

Yeah, Microsoft is really strong in the US and in UK. But they also should try to sell more consoles elsewhere. Acquire/create new studios in those countries wouldn't change everything, but it would be a step in the right direction.
I'm european and I don't care.
What means being treated as a second class citizen? Simply most of developers work in us/japan. Plus UK is european.
I don't know any other first party developers in continental Europe outside Mojang and Guerrilla.
Mojang isn't called as mojang because its a simplification over the two main minecraft development hubs in sweden and redmond, each of those is divided in several smaller teams. So the PR has good reasons to just say "minecraft".
You are asking them a degree of growth that couldn't be handled, they are creating from zero FOUR different studios(TI, AOE, FLight Simulator and the Japan thing). Remember that sony is present only in uk, japan, benelux and Us, nintendo has only one first party studio in us and the rest is japan, while msft is present in uk, sweden, us, Canada and US. So far they are the best performing console manufacturer from that point of view.
I wish game companies invested in new regions like Latin America, India, or MENA. I feel like there's so many interesting stories that can be told and new POV's that normally get neglected that would make for great games. I know why these regions are neglected, but there is such an opportunity to grow in these areas and bring something new and unique to the gaming market.
IMHO the next big focus for SOny and Msft will be east asia, SK, Taiwan, Hong Kong and so on. Not sure about China due to its complicated nature

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I understand that, but even if people are hired from that region, it feels like making a story actually revolve around someone from that region is a far way off. Like, if movies/games is just starting to pay attention to making stories about minorities in the US, the chance of them turning an eye towards us feels like it's going to take forever. But it's not like the regions are bereft of opportunity though, India is growing like crazy, people where I live are starting to get more used to the idea of subscriptions, there IS a huge growth potential.
Can understand the point you are trying to make. The biggest problem we have is that companies most of the time want to stay away from controversy or subjects that may not lend themselves to commercial success. IMHO, I think that Ninja Theory with Hellblade ought to be a start in encouraging people to make more games that tackle some of the more uncomfortable social issues. Question is whether or not publishers will bite.

When it comes to subscriptions, they are getting cheaper and the more internet services become attractive, the more people will flock towards them in the developing world. In Africa, Netflix and streaming are breaking the monopoly long held by companies like multichoice when it comes to cable TV.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
i have no problem if anyone is bringing up anyother platform to make a point but the issue is it has become constantly whereby these posters constantly harp on the same thing over and over again...this is an xbox thread and xbox should be the main focus....derailing of this thread has been occurring far too much..if you have like 3 pages harping on about how great sony is with their platform when another person has already made that point with his/her own 3 pages of derailment abouth 50 pages back then i dont see the point....there should be a respect for the fact that this thread is mainly xbox thats how its and the discussion is about positivity and everyone can agree that this thread was built on positivity and excitement...lately others have entered here to derail it with things people here already know and dont care about considering there are alot of threads on the platform already talking about those stuffs..it occurring too much...i guess people read the thread from outside and dont like the positive aura about xbox here or dont understand it but it doesnt mean come derail it

I get feeling you are way too emotionally attached to Xbox. Maybe take a little break. This thread is still overall positive about Microsoft. We also need to discuss stuff they aren't doing right.

I agree. I also I don't think that anyone wants them to carbon copy Sony's games. We can get great story based narrative games that are not TPS. Microsoft can really raise the bar by making a masterclass 1st person sim game like Prey or Deus Ex. They have the MP games, they have the AA CD3s and SoD2 concept games, now they can make the great single player games with amazing, thought provoking stories that people are clamoring for.

Yep. No harm to have those tps singleplayer games added to what Microsoft have now, If some studio wants to make them.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can't believe we have 15 studios under MS now. Imagine when they're all firing on all cylinders O.o
how many did MS have at the beginning of this gen to make games for the then new Xbox One and how many actually delivered AAA games?

serious question. This would indicate what we can expect. Because having many studios doesnt mean they will release good games or get closed before releasing anything good.

Deleted member 38088

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Can understand the point you are trying to make. The biggest problem we have is that companies most of the time want to stay away from controversy or subjects that may not lend themselves to commercial success. IMHO, I think that Ninja Theory with Hellblade ought to be a start in encouraging people to make more games that tackle some of the more uncomfortable social issues. Question is whether or not publishers will bite.
Yup, I have yet to play Hellblade but I'm genuinely looking forward to it. This is unrelated to the current conversation, but one of the things I like about Ninja Theory is that can seemingly switch between two completely subject matters between Bleeding Edge and Hellblade.

Also, I think that Netflix has shown that tackling larger societal issues can still be very lucrative, and so did stuff like Black Panther. There is an audience that is totally left behind that would love to just get a chance to be in the spotlight for once and would pay good money for it too. Companies are just starting to realize this though, it seems.

When it comes to subscriptions, they are getting cheaper and the more internet services become attractive, the more people will flock towards them in the developing world. In Africa, Netflix and streaming are breaking the monopoly long held by companies like multichoice when it comes to cable TV.
Agreed again. Just the convenience of having built-in subtitles for Netflix shows instead of having to go download a file online then find out it's synced incorrectly has started swaying younger people here. I genuinely hope MS starts to pay any sort of attention to us here, because telling people you can play 100+ games for a nominal fee would be huge.

Apr 6, 2018
this is pretty interesting, you have any link tha sums up everything?

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Yes. If we think about Xbox as a basketball team, so far they've added lots of great role players. People who specialize in a certain areas that help the team perform better overall. But you still need that big free agent with the box office draw. That player that's gonna fill the stadium. They need their LeBron or KD.

I'm really excited to see what Obsidian and Ninja Theory and InXile work on next, but they're broken up into smaller teams, so the number of employees they have (200+) isn't really indicative of the level of game they will be making. If Microsoft said "fuck it" and just went full Disney, buying a major publisher, I wouldn't object.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
how many did MS have at the beginning of this gen to make games for the then new Xbox One and how many actually delivered AAA games?

serious question. This would indicate what we can expect. Because having many studios doesnt mean they will release good games or get closed before releasing anything good.

Barely half of that count and with studios that don't have nearly as many employees as they do now aka 343i with nearly 500 devs.

Also remember back then MS didn't invest as much as they are now for games as well not anywhere near as close to the creative freedom Phil has brought in. It's been 3 years since Phil started and his new direction has started taking ground last year. Within the first few yeas of Scarlett we will get a good grasp of the new devs. Everything is looking really good from what we are hearing and all the AAA talent running there for a job

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
this is pretty interesting, you have any link tha sums up everything?
This was in South Africa. Multichoice biggest advantage was Premier League games. With vastly cheaper internet coming in and without data caps, more and more people are stopping their subscriptions and streaming online whilst also subscribing to Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.

Keeps the men happy, while ladies also have something that has a vast variety in content for minimal cost each month.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Multichoice basically had a monopoly until Netflix arrived... to an extent Multichoice still has a major hold in the region but its gradually breaking up.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Multichoice basically had a monopoly until Netflix arrived.
And their prices showed that. When it comes to games, I believe that the same thing can happen if Microsoft somewhat opens up their product and starts hardware support.

They will never be relevant across the whole continent until that happens. They have a product with Game Pass that could appeal to a lot of people looking to make savings here and there, essentially people that will invest in FIFA but have an opportunity to invest in Game Pass to bring their gaming charge down considerably.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
And their prices showed that. When it comes to games, I believe that the same thing can happen if Microsoft somewhat opens up their product and starts hardware support.

They will never be relevant across the whole continent until that happens. They have a product with Game Pass that could appeal to a lot of people looking to make savings here and there, essentially people that will invest in FIFA but have an opportunity to invest in Game Pass to bring their gaming charge down considerably.
MS could market this aggressively.

Deleted member 38088

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
MS could market this aggressively.
They could, like I've said there is a huge potential, but I also get why they may want to focus on just getting the core areas locked down first before expanding. They may want to make sure that there is a steady stream of stuff for game pass and the studios are working well together before spreading themselves too thin by expanding to new markets. The problem is Google/Sony aren't in the same predicament and can start that expansion faster than MS. There's pros and cons to waiting or expanding and I'm not sure which would be better.

Oct 25, 2017

a lot less. They are a lot less organized, too.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Given the amount of hiring they're doing for all of these studios, it wouldn't be out of the question that one of their existing studios would grow into that.

I do think they could use an additional studio that's capable of AAAA development though. The Initiative is probably on that path, but it seems like their studios with a robust workforce that could be considered as such are largely relegated to a specific franchise. They need someone like IO Interactive or 4A Studios who are capable of highly polished AAAA experiences, and who have the autonomy to develop whatever they want.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Since you updated your post with a further question:

343 (AAA)
Black Tusk/The Coalition (AAA)
Turn 10 (AAA)
Rare (AAA)
Twisted Pixel (Indie scale, became independent)
Press Play (Indie scale, closed)
Lionhead (AAA, closed)
Big Park (Kinect, consolidated into The Coalition)

Though I don't think that indicates anything about the future of XGS.

When is Double Fine and the Age of Empires studio getting their banner on the first post? Klobrille Kaironaut
Well the AoE studio doesn't even have it's name yet lol.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
IMHO the next big focus for SOny and Msft will be east asia, SK, Taiwan, Hong Kong and so on. Not sure about China due to its complicated nature

I definitely think there's a lot of potential in the region. The Taiwanese developers behind Devotion for example have a ton of promise. Given the political volatility of the region, I have to wonder if Microsoft would even be willing to acquire a developer from Hong Kong and Taiwan. South Korea has always had talent, but their industry seems hell bent on creating MMO like experiences though.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone not noticed the new 1 hour Rod interview with IGN Unlocked?

Ryan asking all the right questions, Rod was careful but it's reassuring to hear that they (Coalition) felt they played Gears 4 too safe, in hindsight, and Gears 5 will not suffer from that (at least that's the intent).

Also acknowledges people were dissapointed that very little was shown of SP @ e3 2019, offers a valid reason for that imo.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

The output of MS with 5-7 studios tells us what we should expect from MS with 15+ studios?.... Huh?

Dec 21, 2018
I am excited to see what Tim Schafer's team makes with the backing of MS. I'd love to see some really cool episodic "point and click" adventure games to support the Game Pass model from him.

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
I get feeling you are way too emotionally attached to Xbox. Maybe take a little break. This thread is still overall positive about Microsoft. We also need to discuss stuff they aren't doing right.
i am the most unemotional person you would find on this stuff just stating reality and i am not saying you or any other person cant point out the wrong thing they...but you or any person since you have taken it as if you are the person am talking about with the kind of reply you are giving, should do so withouth derailing the thread because of of us are aware of the comparative analysis between sony and micorsoft in terms of gaming...it has been said over and over again even in this thread...it will be great if you and the the other people gave us a break by not being repetitive about...i dont want microsoft to be like sony, i want them to present us something unique that benefits and befits all of us and worldwide gamers interest...remember this is an xbox thread...lets leave it here

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The output of MS with 5-7 studios tells us what we should expect from MS with 15+ studios?.... Huh?
What i meant was what did the many Studios MS had at the start of the xbox one actually deliver. People are excited with the prospect of 15 studios working on the next gen but looking back many studios dont mean guaranteed output.

I hope all works out and we get many great top quali games. Iam in this boat till at least 2022^^

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
no I believe that conversion happens whenever you sign up, whenever you choose to do that. A lot of people are just stocking up on Gold and then converting now to save money
That conversion seems to be a standard feature for the change in the service and I can't find anything that says that part of it will be ending.
Gears 5 will release 1 week before Borderlands 3
At that point the Twitch craze is already over anyway.

Not yet. Not that we know of.
But i could think a some point the conversation of existing months will be the same as new codes.
Otherwise we would all just let Game Pass Ultimate ran out in 3 years, buy 3 years Gold and upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate again.

Ok thanks!

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
XGS is only lacking in Nordic and Japanese development hubs/studios, there is also France.

They already have a lot of big studios (200+) 343, Coalition, Playground, Obsidian, Minecraft and Rare (potentially the Initiative.) I don't know if they would want any more tbh.
yeah i think this is their next target nordic,japanese or france...brad sams said there is one studio he knows of outside US or north america...so its exciting

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
i am the most unemotional person you would find on this stuff just stating reality and i am not saying you or any other person cant point out the wrong thing they...but you or any person since you have taken it as if you are the person am talking about with the kind of reply you are giving, should do so withouth derailing the thread because of of us are aware of the comparative analysis between sony and micorsoft in terms of gaming...it has been said over and over again even in this thread...it will be great if you and the the other people gave us a break by not being repetitive about...i dont want microsoft to be like sony, i want them to present us something unique that benefits and befits all of us and worldwide gamers interest...remember this is an xbox thread...lets leave it here

None is saying they need to be like Sony.

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Very intresting to hear Rod say "never say never" if the Coalition would make another IP. Overall he was very open with it and didnt shut it down at all.
the main question is how long would they stay on Gears 5 after it has been released?..that would influence how quickly they move onto another project that or having multiple teams but another angle is wont them having multiple teams affect the development cycle of the next gen Gears game?...all interesting questions

Dec 21, 2018
Given the amount of hiring they're doing for all of these studios, it wouldn't be out of the question that one of their existing studios would grow into that.

I do think they could use an additional studio that's capable of AAAA development though. The Initiative is probably on that path, but it seems like their studios with a robust workforce that could be considered as such are largely relegated to a specific franchise. They need someone like IO Interactive or 4A Studios who are capable of highly polished AAAA experiences, and who have the autonomy to develop whatever they want.

The good news from the interviews from the newly acquired teams I've read is that they have been given just that autonomy to do as they please.

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
None is saying they need to be like Sony.
then its either you have not been here long enough or you have just decided to turn a blind eye to what has been posted in this regard....it has been said over and over again here....you wonder why there are complaints about people trying to derail this thread many times......

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
That's not accurate. At all, in fact. We've read it plenty.

Dude come on the 2 most complained things are "MS aren't making enough single player games" and "ms doesn't have any Japanese games"

And those are valid complaints. But none is saying they only need to make single player games and have japenese games. Only that they also have those too. Nothing wrong to have more diversity on their game portfolio, specially now that they have gamepass. People also want Sony to make some multiplayer games, and looking by their job listings and devs they've aquired those are coming too :)

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017

the only problem i see with Microsoft's big studios is half of them are dedicated to a single game series. Which is fine. But it also means you won't get a new ip expierence from those studios. I could see another larger studio making sense portfolio wise as you need a few studios making new ip's looking for the next gears, halo, forza, fable, etc.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What i meant was what did the many Studios MS had at the start of the xbox one actually deliver. People are excited with the prospect of 15 studios working on the next gen but looking back many studios dont mean guaranteed output.

I hope all works out and we get many great top quali games. Iam in this boat till at least 2022^^
It's not just a bigger number of studios, it's what the bigger number of studios means for Xbox as a whole. It shows that MS has more confidence in the division and has given them more power. It'll allow all the studios to work on their games longer and ensure that they release polished producst since Xbox won't be grasping at anything they can to fill wholes in the lineup.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
New jobs for Compulsion: Linkedin 7 positions

According to the postings they are currently "a team of about 50 employees" and "we are excited to start production on our next project!" Interestingly it's a third person game "a quality driver for 3rd person gameplay" and it sounds like it will have branching dialogue or other story systems "take charge of the design of narrative delivery methods, structure, and systems." So heres one third-person story driven game ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.