Status
Not open for further replies.

In Amber Clad

behind a perfect mask
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm really sad about Control. It interested me because I really liked Quantum Break (one of my game of the generation), but it seems closer to Alan Wake than Quantum Break. Really disappointing.

Tonally it's closer to Alan Wake. Gameplay-wise, it's much closer to Quantum Break. In a sense, it kind of feels like a mix between the two, with the world seeming closer to what they originally envisioned AW being - an open-ish, continuous world that you can explore in between missions.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Reviewers might indeed give Gears 5 a bad rating because it has so much content.
This means work for them, when most of them would rather watch a movie and be done after that.

I seriously hope this is sarcasm.

It'll deserve a 90 based on all the multiplayer content, but we all know that's not going to happen. It'll need a great campaign to get 90+.

No.

No game deserves to be +90 just because it has so much content. It also needs to be quality content.

They will just play through the campaign on easy, moan about the AI and that it's a short campaign (because they're playing on easy), and just base their score on that.

Are you being serious? Why are people already making stupid excuses? Sure there are shitty reviewers, but it is same for every game.

To be fair i do think some of series in this gen keep getting lower review score than normally just because it isn't a new ip.

This isn't even remotely close to truth. All of the highest rated games this gen are sequels to old games.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Xbox Game Studios, how would you rank them right now?

I'm not including The Initiative, Global Publishing, or Age of Empires because we either haven't seen anything from them or they're not a traditional studio. I'm ranking these on a number of factors, such as previous projects, future potential, and likelihood that I'll play their projects going forward. Really curious how other people would stack them up.

For me:

12) Compulsion Games
11) Undead Labs
10) inXile Entertainment
9) Double Fine Productions
8) Turn 10
7) Ninja Theory
6) Rare
5) Obsidian Entertainment
4) 343 Industries
3) Mojang
2) The Coalition
1) Playground Games
12. Compulsion Games
11. Rare
10. Mojang
9. Turn 10
8. InXile Entertainment
7. Ninja Theory
6. Obsidian Entertainment
5. Double Fine Productions
4. Undead Labs
3. 343i
2. The Coalition
1. Playground Games.

This is my rank for now. But to be honest, I feel like it's really close between a lot of these. From Obsidian on down I feel like any one of those studios could make my game of the year when they drop something new.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
None of these are sarcasm though, if Gears 4 isn't Microsoft game i am 100% sure it will get 87+ in meta.

Before 2017, if Microsoft don't follow Sony=they are doing it wrong, wait actually they are still wrong too even they follow Sony lmao.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not including The Initiative, Global Publishing, or Age of Empires because we either haven't seen anything from them or they're not a traditional studio. I'm ranking these on a number of factors, such as previous projects, future potential, and likelihood that I'll play their projects going forward. Really curious how other people would stack them up.

For me:

12) Compulsion Games
11) Undead Labs
10) inXile Entertainment
8) Turn 10
7) Ninja Theory
6) Rare
4) 343 Industries
3) Mojang
2) The Coalition
1) Playground Games

12) Compulsion
11) Undead Labs
10) Rare
9) Turn 10
8) Mojang
7) Double Fine
6) InXile Entertainment
5) The Coalition
4) Obsidian Entertainment
3) Ninja Theory
2) 343i
1) Playground Games

I hope Rare can be higher in the future, Sea of Thieves has left a bad taste in my mouth from launch even though they have improved it. I just want a SP game from them again but I know that probs wont happen.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is there a certain date when new games get added to PC gamepass or is it random throughout the month?

That's the point, it is quality content.

Is it? I thought the game wasn't out yet.

The pre-emptive damage control in this thread is quite something to behold. Some of you have your lines rehearsed and ready for review day, ready to blame the reviewers and outlets that dare score it lower than what you want, based on not actually having played the game. Sure, that sounds healthy.

How about not giving a fuck about reviews because Gears 5 will be on Gamepass either way?

I've seen enough of the game and played enough of it to know that it's quality content.

Right. Because two promotional trailers and a PvP beta is all you need to form a comprehensive opinion on a game.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
You say that because of the atmosphere and tone?
Yes. I don't really care about the gameplay, because I didn't like the gameplay of Quantum Break, but I really enjoyed the story of this game.

Tonally it's closer to Alan Wake. Gameplay-wise, it's much closer to Quantum Break. In a sense, it kind of feels like a mix between the two, with the world seeming closer to what they originally envisioned AW being - an open-ish, continuous world that you can explore in between missions.
Yes, it seems to have the gameplay of Quantum Break and the atmosphere of Alan Wake. For me, it's the worst part of those two games (the atmosphere of Alan Wake is great, but it isn't for me; I don't like horror games).

Edit:

For me:

12) Compulsion Games
11) Undead Labs
10) inXile Entertainment
8) Turn 10
7) Ninja Theory
6) Rare
4) 343 Industries
3) Mojang
2) The Coalition
1) Playground Games

12) The Coalition
11) Turn 10
10) Double Fine Productions
9) Mojang
8) Undead Labs
7) 343 Industries
6) Ninja Theory
5) Compulsion Games
4) Rare
3) Playground Games
2) inXile Entertainment
1) Obsidian Entertainment

Totally subjective. I value story over gameplay and never had any interest for Gears or Forza IP.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asking a random general question just so you can have a go at the thread and the people that post in it.

Never change, lol.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Is there a certain date when new games get added to PC gamepass or is it random throughout the month?

The pre-emptive damage control in this thread is quite something to behold. Some of you have your lines rehearsed and ready for review day, ready to blame the reviewers and outlets that dare score it lower than what you want, based on not actually having played the game. Sure, that sounds healthy.

How about not giving a fuck about reviews because Gears 5 will be on Gamepass either way?

Right. Because two promotional trailers and a PvP beta is all you need to form a comprehensive opinion on a game.
I'm not worried about the reviews at all, and I know I'm going to enjoy it no matter how it reviews because I've already got my hands on it. And yea, playing the game is enough to form an opinion on the quality of the game lol.

Nice of you to show up in this thread again to bring negativity lol. Seems to be the only time you come in here is to argue.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

For me:

12) Compulsion Games
11) Undead Labs
10) inXile Entertainment
8) Turn 10
7) Ninja Theory
6) Rare
4) 343 Industries
3) Mojang
2) The Coalition
1) Playground Games

12) Mojang
11) Rare
10) Undead Labs
8) Turn 10
7) Compulsion Games
6) 343 Industries
5) The Coalition
4) inXile Entertainment
3) Ninja Theory
2) Obsidian Entertainment
1) Playground Games

This is a hard list, I'm excited to see what everyone's working on, but at this point I'm far interested in the SP stuff (especially if Rare is working on another MP game).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried about the reviews at all, and I know I'm going to enjoy it no matter how it reviews because I've already got my hands on it. And yea, playing the game is enough to form an opinion on the quality of the game lol.

Nice of you to show up in this thread again to bring negativity lol. Seems to be the only time you come in here is to argue.

Yeah, I barely even read the review threads anymore. I quickly look at the overall score just to see, but I'm playing it regardless on GP.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I barely even read the review threads anymore. I quickly look at the overall score just to see, but I'm playing it regardless on GP.

Game Pass really makes this easy. Crackdown 3 got pretty disappointing scores, but I could jump on the game without any fear or worry of losing money and I had a good time with it, albeit it gets a bit repetitive and spammy towards the end. It could even make my top 10 at the end of the year, and if I were to listen to reviews alone I would have skipped it. Game Pass makes sure I give games a fair shot.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I asked a question about gamepass, as an active subscriber. Is that okay? You should apply to become a moderator if you want to police a forum this bad.

I couldn't help commenting on a few bullshit posts though. I wasn't bringing negativity, just rolling my eyes at the people pre-emptively mad at the review scores and your assessment of a game's quality based off a trailer and beta. Lol indeed.

Carry on!

Aug 23, 2018
Agree. I think it's a mistake to apply what we know about past gens to next gen. It'd a massively different landscape. Services and digital are huge, streaming could go a bunch of different ways, and besides all of that next gen consoles will be crazy powerful. Even if there is a difference in power, we're still talking about two machines targeting 8k, that difference isn't going to be as noticeable as it was for HD, or even if it's noticeable it won't be in the same places it has been in the past.

I'm not assuming every gamer this gen is going to stick with their platform, I just think it won't be as easy for a lot of people to make that decision. I also fully acknowledge that there's pretty much no way to tell if I'm right about that, even after the next gen consoles launch, any confirmation will be all speculation.

I think Obsidian and Ninja Theory both will surprise a lot of people, really looking forward to seeing them in full force. They'll at least hold down the fort until Playground releases it's RPG, which I expect is still several years away, way past launch window for next gen.
I have to say you both are making really good points. I've been of the mind that people are going to stick to the ecosystem and controllers they're comfortable with....mirroring the stickiness of IPhone and Android. That in mind, we're in unprecedented waters.

After hearing both arguments and thinking about it, here's why I could be wrong and why we shouldn't assume 140+ million PlayStation and Xbox gamers are automatically sticking with their current gen ecosystems.

1. Gaming is led by enthusiasts. Some of those are very loyal, habitual and nostalgic. Others are thrill seekers who look for change. What's often overlooked is the large segment of gamers who went from Nintendo to PlayStation to Xbox and back to PlayStation. Many technology enthusiasts are looking for the next different thing. Backwards compat matters to the first group. Not as much to the second.

2. Mindshare and going viral have entered a new stratosphere of impact and speed. Fortnite went from AA commercial flop to game of the gen post release. 5G will be steroids for viral marketing. Viral marketing is going to be exponentially more powerful than traditional marketing next gen. It always leaves the door open for any comeback or newcomer.

3. Subscription services are combo breakers. Getting hooked on a music subscription made holding onto my ITunes far less important. Knowing that you can jump into an ecosystem and have access to tons of content day 1 eases the pain of leaving your backlog...if you leave it at all. Current consoles will be viable for a couple more years and will still see port downs.

Lots of unpredictability in the market. Hard to predict if PC gamers who buy consoles to play on their big screens will want the PlayStation next gen since Xbox exclusives are all available to them on PC...or an Xbox to complete their ecosystem since they'll be able to take their games back and forth, stay in touch with the same friends and not have to buy software twice in many cases.

Back to Remedy...I'm a fan and would be ecstatic about seeing them get free reign and make stuff for Game Pass...but I understand the "why not". Microsoft's best chance to increase their success is to be the alternative to PlayStation, not the poor man's version like they were for much of this gen.

Agree with both of you. I think this is uncharted waters for new consoles launching, but I do think the mass market does not care as much about BC to have it affect their new console purchase. Enthusiasts and loyalists, yes it will. I have a number of digital games on both consoles (way more on Xbox due to BC and GamePass) that I'm thrilled will come with me to the new Xbox.

Your comment about subscription services/iTunes Library is exactly how I think about this. If we really are to assume that gamers will treat their PS or Xbox ecosystem as something so important that they can't switch sides, then where does subscription services for game catalogs fit in? Shouldn't GamePass be just as appealing as Spotify?

I don't know. But I don't think that BC and digital libraries coming forward with you will necessarily stop people from switching consoles if they find something appealing about PS5 or Scarlett

Nov 11, 2017

Damage control ? Why is you in here shitting up the thread with fake concern and console warring. reported.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Said PvP beta gave a pretty damn comprehensive view of how the game will play.

Considering gameplay has a fairly significant impact on the quality of a title and that the gameplay is unlikely to change between modes I don't think it's at all unreasonable to assume a level of quality based on the PvP beta.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I asked a question about gamepass, as an active subscriber. Is that okay? You should apply to become a moderator if you want to police a forum this bad.

I couldn't help commenting on a few bullshit posts though. I wasn't bringing negativity, just rolling my eyes at the people pre-emptively mad at the review scores and your assessment of a game's quality based off a trailer and beta. Lol indeed.

Carry on!
Couldnt help but notice but, there are a few that already stated that they've played and seen enough of the game to know Gears 5 is quality content. And I think they bring up some valid points, especially when we're talking about a game that isnt SP narrative driven, cinematic ONLY type games. That goes double because its Gears -- a franchise that allegedly is long in the tooth as far as ongoing Xbox franchises go.

Are you even a Gears fan? Or an Xbox fan for that matter? Genuine question..

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Couldnt help but notice but, there are a few that already stated that they've played and seen enough of the game to know Gears 5 is quality content. And I think they bring up some valid points, especially when we're talking about a game that isnt SP narrative driven, cinematic ONLY type games. That goes double because its Gears -- a franchise that allegedly is long in the tooth as far as ongoing Xbox franchises go.

You don't know Hoo-doo? ;)

Aug 23, 2018

No he's not. He pops in, pretends to ask a question/make a general comment, then usually attacks posters in the thread whenever he gets triggered by something.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Would kinda hope for Rares 2nd game if nothing else, just so I can know what the hell it actually is.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I would really love to see a new story-driven game from Ninja Theory. I would also love to see something new from Rare, but I think it's too early for that.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Carry on!

Commenting on a few bullshit posts.

You accused people of damage control and that they were rehearing lines to use against reviewers. You needlessly antagonized folks and threw around ridiculous accusations and now you're pretending you came in asking a simple question and playing the victim?

Come on fam. Stop it.

christocolus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does he think NT?
Cos NT has been working on multiple projects for a while, Phil stated in an interview that we would be seeing some new stuff from them and lastly at E3 NT stated that they had more games in the style of hellblade (single player/story driven content) in development and we probably would be seeing some of those projects soon.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
NT mentioned on stage at E3 they have multiple projects in the works and Hellblade was shipped 2 years ago, it's quite possible that team may be ready to show something, although I imagine they may want to wait until bleeding edge has shipped first.

Have NT grown at all as a studio? Hellblade took almost five years if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure that team has something in the works, but it seems too early to reveal it just yet.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

You have played only some PvP. There is also singleplayer and your opinion is your.
Reviewers have their own and remains to be seen If the quality is so great it warrants +90 reviews. I personally think there is 0% chance this game is lower than Gears 4 and huge chance this is actually +90 game.

Carry on!

I agree that those couple posts already complaining about reviewers and making excuses why this game won't get +90 are stupid.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
You have played only some PvP. There is also singleplayer and your opinion is your.
Reviewers have their own and remains to be seen If the quality is so great it warrants +90 reviews. I personally think there is 0% chance this game is lower than Gears 4 and huge chance this is actually +90 game.

I agree that those couple posts already complaining about reviewers and making excuses why this game won't get +90 are stupid.
We were talking about the multiplayer content.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if people are already aware of this?

So, I caught wind of a live action Halo commercial filming SOON in partnership with Pepsi...

I don't know anymore details, but it's higher budget, and Pepsi owns Mountain Dew (Game Fuel).... as it's too early for primary Infinite advertising, my guess is maybe a big hyped up Multiplayer Beta promo with Game Fuel this winter? That last part is pure speculation, but it's all that really makes sense to me.

Can't help but think that he's right about it being a Multiplayer Promo. We have confirmation from Robey that we'll hear more about Halo: Infinite this year anyways, so would this be something that they'll show at X019? I certainly hope so.

PS: Sorry for the notification DemonCarnotaur. :P

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

For me:

12) Compulsion Games
11) Undead Labs
10) inXile Entertainment
8) Turn 10
7) Ninja Theory
6) Rare
4) 343 Industries
3) Mojang
2) The Coalition
1) Playground Games
12) Turn 10
11) Mojang
10) Undead Labs
9) 343 Industries
8) The Coalition
7) Playground Games
6) Rare
5) inxile Entertainment
4) Compulsion Games
3) Obsidian
2) Ninja Theory
1) Double Fine Productions

Y'all are sleeping on Double Fine. They're going to be their number 1 studio, no doubt.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but think that he's right about it being a Multiplayer Promo. We have confirmation from Robey that we'll hear more about Halo: Infinite this year anyways, so would this be something that they'll show at X019? I certainly hope so.

PS: Sorry for the notification DemonCarnotaur. :P

Oh man oh man oh man! Between Gears 5, Halo Reach, and a possible Halo Infinite beta I could be in 360-era gaming heaven this year.

May 9, 2019
Australia
I would really love to see a new story-driven game from Ninja Theory. I would also love to see something new from Rare, but I think it's too early for that.

Yeah, honestly I'm glad people enjoy the multiplayer games the two studios are working on but I could care less. There's only so many unending multiplayer games I can devote my time to. I'd much rather they swing back to single player content.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
12) Turn 10
11) Mojang
10) Undead Labs
9) 343 Industries
8) The Coalition
7) Playground Games
6) Rare
5) inxile Entertainment
4) Compulsion Games
3) Obsidian
2) Ninja Theory
1) Double Fine Productions

Y'all are sleeping on Double Fine. They're going to be their number 1 studio, no doubt.
In terms of crazy game ideas, definitely haha :D Should be fun!

christocolus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Initiative and XGP are officially listed as studios by MS so....

20. unknown X020 ?
19. unknown X020 ?
18. unknown E3 2020 ?
17. unknown E3 2020 ?
16. unknown X019 ?
15. unknown X019 ?
14. Compulsion Games
13. Undead Labs
12. Mojang
11. Xbox Global Publishing
10. Rare
9. Turn 10
8. InXile
7. Obsidian Entertainment
6. Double Fine Productions
5. The Coalition
4. 343i
3. The Initiative (based on the level of skilled industry vets they've hired, I expect some great things)
2. Ninja Theory
1. Playground Games.

Devs I think will push innovation and creativity most next gen.

1.PG games
2. TI
3. NT
4. Double Fine
5. 343i
6.T10
7. TC
8. Rare
9. Mojang

Aug 23, 2018
Have NT grown at all as a studio? Hellblade took almost five years if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure that team has something in the works, but it seems too early to reveal it just yet.

I don't at all have a source, but I could've sworn Hellblade took 3 years. Originally releasing in July 2017, having a reveal this November is possible I guess if it's going to be a Scarlett launch title.

It'll be interesting to see how MS handles these reveals going forward. Their first party output is basically increasing 5X with all the new studios working on multiple projects. Will they find themselves in situations previewing more than one game from a single studio at once? Darth Paxton has a great spreadsheet that showed what XGS were working on, and Ninja Theory and Obsidian could have 3-4 unannounced projects each in addition to Bleeding Edge and The OuterWorlds

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I feel like you're looking for a fight for no reason. Nobody needs to damage control Gears. Most people know if they want to play it. Most people know if they don't. It's still good ole Gears. Predicting reviews for an established franchise isn't damage controlling. It's just something people like to talk about. Certainly there's some goofy takes but that doesn't mean you should be challenging the entire community.

Last edited:

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
12) Mojang
11) Turn10
10) Undead Labs
9) Compulsion
8) Double Fine
7) 343 Industries
6) Rare
5) The Coalition
4) Inxile
3) Ninja Theory
2) Obsidian
1) Playground Games

While I love Halo, Gears and Forza, the studios being locked "forever" to these franchises lowered them on my rank, Coalition is on my top5 even being locked on Gears because they seem more open to test new things, and on a technical level they are their most skilled studio imo, Coalition is insanely talented.

On a technical level it would be like Coalition > Playground > Turn10 > 343i > Rare > NT

Status
Not open for further replies.