Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2018
I don't care WHO gets upset I hope the Kinect stays dead and Microsoft never does anything similar to this ever again lol.

Thank god casuals moved on from consoles.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018
Tbh I never played Hellblade but this has got to be the most addictive gaming trailer for me in recent while.

As someone who's not even European or even White I have a big interest in Norse mythology and I really enjoyed the Viking symbols in the trailers. More importantly I can NOT get enough of the facial animations. I really cant wait for NT to share their mocap with other XGS. Very talented studio.

Thank you. You're a god!
lol. I just REALLY pray we see nothing like the Kinect again. I have nothing against casual gamers but ignoring one demographic in favor of the other was a nightmare.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Thank nicolas cage. Speaking of Spencer if and when the Xbox Series X is a success and Satya is impressed.... How big of a budget do you and everyone else think Phil will get for the Xbox division?
If Phil can convince Satya to spend $2.5 Billion on mojang/minecraft, im pretty sure he can get whatever he wants out of him lol

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's different from a gimmicky peripheral that has no place in gaming.
It was gimmicky in regular games that just added Kinect support, but games built around it were much better. Dance Central and working out "games" were great for Kinect. This will all carry over with more sophisticated tech towards VR with software built from the ground up to make maximum use of such interaction.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
It was gimmicky in regular games that just added Kinect support, but games built around it were much better. Dance Central and working out "games" were great for Kinect. This will all carry over with more sophisticated tech towards VR with software built from the ground up to make maximum use of such interaction.
Maybe for body tracking but playing without physical controllers feels bad. It feels nice to have a chunk of plastic in my hands.\

I say this as someone who owns Kinect 1.0, Kinect 2.0, and the Valve Index.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for body tracking but playing without physical controllers feels bad. It feels nice to have a chunk of plastic in my hands.
Sure for gamey games. The word game is going to be expanded with rather unique experiences that a lot of people aren't really going to call games which will work well with body tracking and no physical controllers.

Jul 17, 2018
Motion controls are going to slowly comeback in various formats as an easier access and more immersive way to interact in VR.

As long as traditional gaming is not cannibalized in the process like what they were trying to do between 2009-2013.

If Phil can convince Satya to spend $2.5 Billion on mojang/minecraft, im pretty sure he can get whatever he wants out of him lol
Lets hope he keep doing that because oh man I feel the Xbox Series X is going to be the best Xbox console in a long run. I say this because we will see the TRUE potential of the Xbox brand!

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Tbh I never played Hellblade but this has got to be the most addictive gaming trailer for me in recent while.

As someone who's not even European or even White I have a big interest in Norse mythology and I really enjoyed the Viking symbols in the trailers. More importantly I can NOT get enough of the facial animations. I really cant wait for NT to share their mocap with other XGS. Very talented studio.

lol. I just REALLY pray we see nothing like the Kinect again. I have nothing against casual gamers but ignoring one demographic in favor of the other was a nightmare.

Give Hellblade a try. It's pretty damn good.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as traditional gaming is not cannibalized in the process like what they were trying to do between 2009-2013.
Yeah it likely won't, it was new tech that was trending and the industry learned a lot from it. VR is where it's going to be primarily used at.
Yea I can see this too. Like those virtual reality rides at theme parks.
Yep. I think it will work it's way into being used in most industries. VR is going to advance very quickly in the next decade or two.

Jul 17, 2018
Yeah it likely won't, it was new tech that was trending and the industry learned a lot from it. VR is where it's going to be primarily used at.

Yep. I think it will work it's way into being used in most industries. VR is going to advance very quickly in the next decade or two.
And I am curious to see how it is in the future. One thing they need to work on is making it MORE "immersive." Also what happened to Hololens and Xbox?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that Microsoft would lose from a deal like that would be some practically worthless IP. They'd gain some solid games, a working relationship with a talented developer, likely at least a few additional console sales owing to those titles being available, not to mention a changing of the blame narrative once Scalebound appeared on everything.

They would gain a great deal more than they'd lose.

Not that it matters too much as it appears that Platinum aren't looking to buy the IP after all.
And why would it need to sell the IP for that happen when it's not just Microsoft's fault? either give the budget back to MS, or MS start the development with P* again, or shut up about it.
It's funny you keep assume P* is the only one unhappy about Scalebound cancellation when i can see MS is more unhappy due to lose a lot of money and 90% blame goes to them at that time.

TE4M GREENE

Sep 23, 2019
Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but speaking of HoloLens, with the amount of work that Asobo Studios does with HoloLens, specifically referring to HoloForge, doesn't it seem like a no brainer for an acquisition by Microsoft?

From the HoloForge website:
HoloForge Interactive is Asobo Studio Holographic B2B branch. With five years of experience working with HoloLens, we have more experience with mixed reality than any other agency. With a roster of many world-class clients and POC, we are the international benchmark agency in the field of mixed reality.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
And I am curious to see how it is in the future. One thing they need to work on is making it MORE "immersive." Also what happened to Hololens and Xbox?
Hololens 2 was announced last year.

Tim Sweeney was actually on stage at last year's event to announce Unreal Engine coming to the platform. Nothing really to do with gaming though. Unreal is used for more than just 3D gaming.

They are supposed to be holding another talk at mobile world congress this year as well.

Eventually we'll get to a point where AR devices are the primary computing devices. And of course gaming will be apart of that, whether its a full screen vr experience or mixed with the real world. It will all be the same device.

Here is the full event from last year if you want to watch it:

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
With the news about upcoming games about platinum games. We can see that they were the best bet for Microsoft in Japan. They can make every kind of games and they make a lot of games in the same times ( this is really impressive ).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Xbox revenue down 20%, Playstation revenue equally down 20%.

It's interesting to see both are down 20% overall YoY. Xbox HW declined 40%, PlayStation HW declined 25%. Despite the bigger decline for Xbox Hardware, the overall decline of both companies is at around the same. This means Digital/Game Pass/Minecraft offset the decline more than it did for Playstation, which further supports the importance of Game Pass.

I expect 2020 continues the declines for both gaming divisions given further declines in HW. Key first-party releases like Minecraft Dungeons or obviously Halo Infinite and further Game Pass growth might offset it a bit more from the Xbox perspective.

For hardware though, the Xbox division (Playstation as well obviously) really needs next-gen. While hardware is not too important for actual profit, it raises the revenue. Not enough next-gen HW units to sell in 2020 to really make a difference though, I expect the Gaming division growth train to really start rolling in 2021 with a strong combination of HW potential, Game Pass, xCloud and a more regular first-party output.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

It's interesting to see both are down 20% overall YoY. Xbox HW declined 40%, PlayStation HW declined 25%. Despite the bigger decline for Xbox Hardware, the overall decline of both companies is at around the same. This means Digital/Game Pass/Minecraft offset the decline more than it did for Playstation, which further supports the importance of Game Pass.

I expect 2020 will see bigger declines for both gaming divisions given further declines in HW. Minecraft Dungeons and further Game Pass growth might offset it a bit more from the Xbox perspective.

For hardware though, the Xbox division really needs next-gen. While hardware is not too important for actual profit, it raises the revenue. Not enough next-gen HW units to sell in 2020 to really make a difference though, I expect the Gaming division growth train to really start rolling in 2021 with a strong combination of HW potential, Game Pass, xCloud and more regular first-party output.

Without checking it I think the digital attach rate for Xbox games is much higher than for Playstation games. I saw 51% is physical in the earnings report from Sony today and I think Xbox was over 50% digital like a year ago already ?!

Maybe you or someone else have the actual figure for Xbox digital games ?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound looked horrifically bad each time we saw it. Nothing of value is lost if they leave it in the trash where it belongs.

Yeah, it NEVER looked like a good game. The response to its cancellation was so disproportionate compared to interest in it during its development.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
It is funny that we have not seen concern posts

In all fairness it's their second best year ever. That also being said one could definitely argue context was being left out deliberately.

Honestly, I'd be fine if ERA just said "Ok, you all can't be mature, no more finance threads." It's pretty clear most creators/participants of those threads don't know how to or care to interpret financial results properly. So they pretty much all just become low key console wars threads.

Perhaps Era needs a tag system for posts with the ability for members to block tags.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
For hardware though, the Xbox division (Playstation as well obviously) really needs next-gen. While hardware is not too important for actual profit, it raises the revenue. Not enough next-gen HW units to sell in 2020 to really make a difference though, I expect the Gaming division growth train to really start rolling in 2021 with a strong combination of HW potential, Game Pass, xCloud and a more regular first-party output.

It's never been about the hardware, it's about the ecosystem the hardware locks you into. 3rd party sales and (maybe) online fees are where the real money is. Put in let's say 1% of the development effort (certifying a game and putting it on the store) and taking a 30% cut of all new game and digital sales? All day every day.

Jul 17, 2018
Hololens 2 was announced last year.

Tim Sweeney was actually on stage at last year's event to announce Unreal Engine coming to the platform. Nothing really to do with gaming though. Unreal is used for more than just 3D gaming.

They are supposed to be holding another talk at mobile world congress this year as well.

Eventually we'll get to a point where AR devices are the primary computing devices. And of course gaming will be apart of that, whether its a full screen vr experience or mixed with the real world. It will all be the same device.

Here is the full event from last year if you want to watch it:

Thanks for the info drop.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
source.gif

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
In some ways they did if they sat on SC and worked on other games using MS's money. Is that honorable?

Big 'if'.

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but speaking of HoloLens, with the amount of work that Asobo Studios does with HoloLens, specifically referring to HoloForge, doesn't it seem like a no brainer for an acquisition by Microsoft?

From the HoloForge website:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea hasn't at least been floated. As you say, they seem like a prime candidate.

Yeah, it NEVER looked like a good game. The response to its cancellation was so disproportionate compared to interest in it during its development.

While I agree with this (I was lurking in those threads at the time, and it can't be denied that almost no one cared before it was cancelled), there are some of us that were legitimately excited for it. As I've already said though, sometimes things don't work out; I was heavily disappointed by its cancellation, but I'm not going to use it as a stick to beat anyone with.

Apr 6, 2018
I know Rod is fast, but I doubt he's that fast.
Well, if that's an ok conclusion to extract from the chart then neither do PS4 exclusives have any importance since there's none on the top 20.
And they had Days Gone and Death Stranding while this year no big JRPG launched

A Souls-like Berserk game would be incredible
I really struggle to think a big JRPG which is not ff, I mean even persona and dragon quest are super niche in eu and us
It was pretty clear what he was trying to imply
Why he was trying to imply something he knew wasn't going to happen? You misred it, people here repeated that it wasn't going to happen
So i've been playing a lot of Journey To The Savage Planet (Typhoon Studios) and it's a preeeeetty good game. I'm not one to lament that a first party didn't buy a studio, but in this case, i would have preferred that they ended up in MS's first party than.......... Google. *sigh*

Hopefully they don't get closed as soon as Google gets bored of Stadia. They clearly are really good at what they do.
I think that's a lost occasion on par with double helix

I expect 2020 continues the declines for both gaming divisions given further declines in HW. Key first-party releases like Minecraft Dungeons or obviously Halo Infinite and further Game Pass growth might offset it a bit more from the Xbox perspective.

One thing we underestimate, if the hardware was way down for xbox than for sony, this means that software performed way better than we expected
In all fairness it's their second best year ever. That also being said one could definitely argue context was being left out deliberately.

Honestly, I'd be fine if ERA just said "Ok, you all can't be mature, no more finance threads." It's pretty clear most creators/participants of those threads don't know how to or care to interpret financial results properly. So they pretty much all just become low key console wars threads.

Perhaps Era needs a tag system for posts with the ability for members to block tags.
I've read those threads, and they are nothing compared to what I've read in italian websites with denial crysis to explain why msft -20% is bad and sony -20% is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.