• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
No not the same tech.

Both do Hardware Decompression for more raw speed.

But MS gains 2 to 3x more SSD performance not raw speed thanks to memory management of 4K textures Sampler Feedback Streaming is a part of Xbox velocity Architecture.

That's why I think that in game streaming assets XSX maybe have an advantage thanks to this technology.

The xbox velocity architecture was really designed for game assets streaming, much more than the loading time.

Enter Xbox Velocity Architecture, which features tight integration between hardware and software and is a revolutionary new architecture optimized for streaming of in game assets.

Sony really really uses ultra fast ssd for game streaming and also load times.

Microsoft is more in efficiency and an innovative way.
Microsoft seems to be doing that at the software level, so everything they are doing, Sony could also implement that kind of feature. You can't change hardware, you always can improve the software.

Aug 23, 2018
Microsoft seems to be doing that at the software level, so everything they are doing, Sony could also implement that kind of feature. You can't change hardware, you always can improve the software.

This is exactly like BC and how Sony is implementing at a hardware level while MS is able to already confirm every game currently playable on Xbox One will be on Series X. MS is leagues ahead of the competition with software based solutions.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Login on Twitter

Welcome back to Twitter. Sign in now to check your notifications, join the conversation and catch up on Tweets from the people you follow.

Take a good look at the likes of graphics & optimization R&D and engine architect at microsoft đź‘€

Zlib & BCPack > Kraken đź‘€

Xbox velocity architecture we are not ready...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
This is exactly like BC and how Sony is implementing at a hardware level while MS is able to already confirm every game currently playable on Xbox One will be on Series X. MS is leagues ahead of the competition with software based solutions.

I'm still very surprised that Sony only announced PS4 BC and not even every game either. I remember when MS announced BC for Xbox One that Sony had no idea how MS had done this.

Ever since then people thought it was a given (myself included) that Sony would bring full BC for PS4, but also PS2 and 3. Nope.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Yes but sony don't do that.

Yes, but Sony hasn't made a whole new innovative architecture like Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Today it is too late.

There are technologies that MS uses that has been present on windows for years like BCpack.

This is what rumors indicated, Microsoft would use windows compression tools for their next gen ssd solution.

I am not saying that MS will have better performance, but I am saying that for the SSD solution, assets game streaming, MS does not rely on raw speed but the software solution.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
European sports car, bro.
i guess the series x is Tesla then? lol its funny though. so many comparisons, reasoning and arguments where compromise does not exist in a machine. to focus on what something else is vs what you will have. speaks volumes and hopefully someone with a platform can acknowledge it instead of put more fuel into that firepit.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
twitter.com

Richard Geldreich on Twitter

“Gamers comparing Xbox Series X vs. PS5 aren't factoring in Microsoft's dark horse: BCPack. We don't have any real details yet, but it's possible that BCPack will be stronger than RDO BCx encoding+Kraken compression.”

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
twitter.com

“Gamers comparing Xbox Series X vs. PS5 aren't factoring in Microsoft's dark horse: BCPack. We don't have any real details yet, but it's possible that BCPack will be stronger than RDO BCx encoding+Kraken compression.”

I'm ready for MSoft to show it to us! Unless they already have and I missed it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

I know MS said they're putting something together to communicate more about Velocity Architecture and it's SSD solution. Just hope we get it before Monday!

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
That why AMD said XSX will have technical innovation leadership.

If microsoft would bet on raw power he would never have said that

AMD

With this architecture powering both the next generation of AMD Radeon graphics cards and the forthcoming Xbox Series X gaming console, we've been working very closely with Microsoft to help move gaming graphics to a new level of photorealism and smoothness thanks to the four key DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics features -- DirectX Raytracing (DXR), Variable Rate Shading (VRS), Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback.

"Microsoft and AMD worked closely on the development of the DirectX 12 Ultimate feature set to ensure a great experience with AMD RDNA 2 architecture"
– Bryan Langley, Graphics Group Program Manager, Microsoft

DXR adds a new level of graphics realism to video games previously only available in movies, and AMD has collaborated with Microsoft on the design of DXR 1.1, an update to DXR that can deliver better efficiency and performance in many raytracing effects

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Login on Twitter

Welcome back to Twitter. Sign in now to check your notifications, join the conversation and catch up on Tweets from the people you follow.

Take a good look at the likes of graphics & optimization R&D and engine architect at microsoft đź‘€

Zlib & BCPack > Kraken đź‘€

Xbox velocity architecture we are not ready...
Well I regret clicking on that twitter link..... fucking yikes at that like history.

Oct 26, 2018
m93gGUA.jpg

Who is going for 1000 GC in Bleeding Edge? Seems reasonably obtainable.
It'll be my second 1000/1000 after apex, healing might be hard for me since I usually ise miko as a support and my team is never around

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, hope this is the right place to ask
(If it isn't then could someone please redirect me to where i should ask this instead, thanks)

So my younger brother wants to play 2 naruto xbox 360 games that are quite old by now. They are naruto rise of a ninja and naruto the broken bond.
I told him to check if they were on the list of xbox 360 games that are retrocompatible on xbox one. He said threy weren't on the list.
Does that simply mean the disck wouldn't work on a xbox one, or doe it also mean that they are not available on the xbox one store? (to buy digitally)
Basically, he's trying to figure out if he needs to buy a xbox 360 or if he can buy a xbox one isntead.
Obviously we would get more use out of an xbox one, but if he has to buy a xbox 360 just to play those games he's fine with that.
I assumed you guys would know.
Thanks

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm sure SSD speeds will do amazing things in terms of loading times and open worlds, but no one is going to make games that won't work without them, especially without the specific peak speeds for one of the two major consoles. That would be insane.

Any games that take advantage of that hardware to do seamless world's or fast loads or whatever will just have loading bars / screens, longer elevator rides, or decreased draw distance / chunk size when running on slower storage or overloaded storage.

It's not as if open world games just didn't exist 20 years ago, anyone that played Morrowind on the Xbox will know how that could look, it's not ideal but it'll work.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Any speculation which location FH is headed this time around? Japan?

I would love Japan, but I'm wondering some things:

- Is the next FH game a cross gen title like FH2? If so, maybe something a little less ambitious and then go nuts (Japan) with FH6.
- There are a lot of potentially incredible locations other than Japan. I could see Seoul/Korea, Cape Town/South Africa, Hong Kong (politics may be tough), Mexico, and many others all working well in terms of combining urban, rurual, elevation, etc. Would also be cool to see them do Europe again, I found FH2 pretty unsatisfying in that regard. I'm thinking of the Andalusia race from GT6 - Spain or the Alps could be incredible.

I believe that was me. Just in case anyone is getting excited, the source was a random person on Reddit, so take it with a salt mountain.

A mountain seems like overkill to me. Maybe someone should ask XboxEra folks about Forza Horizon plans...

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
When Game asset streaming perf will drop by DF.

Ooof đź‘€

We will see if the SX would still be this brute of powerful brainless.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
(If it isn't then could someone please redirect me to where i should ask this instead, thanks)

So my younger brother wants to play 2 naruto xbox 360 games that are quite old by now. They are naruto rise of a ninja and naruto the broken bond.
I told him to check if they were on the list of xbox 360 games that are retrocompatible on xbox one. He said threy weren't on the list.
Does that simply mean the disck wouldn't work on a xbox one, or doe it also mean that they are not available on the xbox one store? (to buy digitally)
Basically, he's trying to figure out if he needs to buy a xbox 360 or if he can buy a xbox one isntead.
Obviously we would get more use out of an xbox one, but if he has to buy a xbox 360 just to play those games he's fine with that.
Thanks

If they aren't on the list, it means they aren't compatible at all, whether disc or digital. If your brother doesn't have them on disc or can't find them, they may be on the store to buy digitally, you'd have to check, but they would still only work on a 360.

Also, I'll link the back compat thread for you, in case you have more questions in the future.

www.resetera.com

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT2| “We’ve got to go back Marty!” | Microsoft - OT

The Xbox One gaming console has received updates from Microsoft since its launch in 2013 that enable it to play select games from its two predecessor consoles, Xbox and Xbox 360. On June 15, 2015, backward compatibility with supported Xbox 360 games became available to eligible Xbox Preview...

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Im mainly just excited to see what brian fargo can do with a full AAA backing and budget. Dude defined the wrpg genre with wasteland/fallout and i cant wait to see what he can do now

I think when its all said done. InXile may be one of the smartest pickups out of all the game studios. Its been interesting to see how much they've grown with the increased resources. I will admit that before the Microsoft acquisition of them I hadn't heard of any of these games or the studio. However, I have since gone back and played through some of there titles and can definitely see how with the added resources and additional staff they could be something special.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks
No, they aren't backwards compatible on Xbox One and I don't even think the game was ever available on the marketplace to purchase digitally only the DLC was and that's been delisted. He will need the games physically and a X360 in order to play them.

Nov 2, 2017
Got a question for you guys here. I don't have access to my Xbox one s anymore. A relative has it right now and my niece loves playing on it. I'm considering getting an Xbox one x soon and having some stuff I need to still play on it, and I really want to play yakuza. But with next gen around the corner, I'm just not sure, what do you all think? Worth getting right now or just wait eight months?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
In normal circumstances, I'd recommend waiting, but with the possibility of being locked down for several weeks due to Covid, perhaps a new console to keep you occupied will be money well spent.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Got a question for you guys here. I don't have access to my Xbox one s anymore. A relative has it right now and my niece loves playing on it. I'm considering getting an Xbox one x soon and having some stuff I need to still play on it, and I really want to play yakuza. But with next gen around the corner, I'm just not sure, what do you all think? Worth getting right now or just wait eight months?

Depending on where you're located prices are good at the moment? As Axel mentioned due to lockdowns could be a good time to get one and lets be honest, there is a significant possibility that next-gen could be delayed in the current circumstances so if you can afford it and theres stuff you want to play I say go for it.

Nov 2, 2017
In normal circumstances, I'd recommend waiting, but with the possibility of being locked down for several weeks due to Covid, perhaps a new console to keep you occupied will be money well spent.

I finished my switch backlog last week and got nothing to play on there. Xbox was pretty much my main console so I may end up getting an Xbox one x and wait on the next gen one for a while, especially since some of Microsoft's exclusives will be on both systems for a while.
Depending on where you're located prices are good at the moment? As Axel mentioned due to lockdowns could be a good time to get one and lets be honest, there is a significant possibility that next-gen could be delayed in the current circumstances so if you can afford it and theres stuff you want to play I say go for it.

I'm looking at a fallen order bundle for 350. Seems like a good deal for now. Just thought I ask around here for other opinions on it. Just uncertain right now

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
If they aren't on the list, it means they aren't compatible at all, whether disc or digital. If your brother doesn't have them on disc or can't find them, they may be on the store to buy digitally, you'd have to check, but they would still only work on a 360.

Also, I'll link the back compat thread for you, in case you have more questions in the future.

www.resetera.com

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT2| “We’ve got to go back Marty!” | Microsoft - OT

The Xbox One gaming console has received updates from Microsoft since its launch in 2013 that enable it to play select games from its two predecessor consoles, Xbox and Xbox 360. On June 15, 2015, backward compatibility with supported Xbox 360 games became available to eligible Xbox Preview...
No, they aren't backwards compatible on Xbox One and I don't even think the game was ever available on the marketplace to purchase digitally only the DLC was and that's been delisted. He will need the games physically and a X360 in order to play them.
Thanks to both of you for replying. I'll tell my brother he will have to buy a second hand physical copy of each game and a xbox 360
I'm going to check wikipedia to see all the different xbox 360 models that have been released, to see which would be the best to buy/make sure to buy one of the more recent ones.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yes. At least. You can be sure Xbox started signing more and multiple XGS Publishing deals working with "second-party" when the big organization shift happened mid to early 2017. We basically only know about Tell Me Why from Dontnod. Matt Booty hinted at the importance of that arm of their first-party organization at X019, which we'll very likely see more about from in a few months.

good to hear

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at a fallen order bundle for 350. Seems like a good deal for now. Just thought I ask around here for other opinions on it. Just uncertain right now

I'd wait tbh. I just finished Fallen Order and really liked it, but I also got my Xbox One X in 2018 during the eBay electronics sale with an extra controller for $330, so I don't see $350 with a game as a stellar deal. Series X is going to be the kind of futureproofing that imo supercedes the possibility of buying a soon-to-be obsolete box this year, though it's still anyone's guess as to whether the new consoles will be delayed (I certainly hope not).

Status
Not open for further replies.