• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Wrinkles has some very interesting comments over in that thread. Lockhart looks increasingly real and glad to see that the halo infinite engine will scale and the series x version isn't being held back.

Edit-Wrinkles was a typo but I'm digging it.

I am loving 'Wrinkles'. Think you need to request a name change Stinkles !

I like that Microsoft are being very open and upfront with the approach this time around. I'm really looking forward to an action packed 2020.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Then again, if it's the thread I think you're talking about, we're already reading secret sauce fever dream silliness and the thread just isn't worth perusing at this point.
That is exactly the thread I'm talking about. You are right it isn't worth pursuing. Until I get numbers from DF or vetted sources it's all talk. I'm not interested in spelunking rabbit holes.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
So I've been thinking about the Phantom Dust IP and I'm surprised Global Publishing never contracted Bluepoint Games + Yukio Futatsugi for the new Phantom Dust game either before Darkside games or after.

Bluepoint did an amazing job with Shadow of the Colossus and Yukio's been wanting to be involved in the franchise for a while so you'd think that would be a great combination. It would also maybe help start to rebuild their relationship with Japanese developers to see them also develop their IP's with them again after the Scalebound disappointment.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
If I had to guess a release date, I would say November 13th, 2020. Have X020 be a launch party the week before with the press conference with a week to go (November 6th) and just dominate a week of news coverage (by inviting press to X0 and lifting the embargo on launch reviews (hardware and games) as the week goes on).

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Geographic ties to the film industry....hmmmm. Wonder what that could mean.

Same. This is the first I've heard that the film industry was a key motivator for opening The Initative where it is. Maybe it's for technology exchanges (i.e. motion capture)?

Lmao there is maybe couple people thinking they are same power while PS5 costs 400. Most people who think PS5 costs 400 also thinks it IS going to be weaker than Xbox

I think it's difficult because some of the loudest people in those threads are the ones making massive jumps in logic to find a competitive advantage for the PS5.

The state of the forum is certainly a far cry from how it was for Xbox fans and users even 5-6 months ago though. People are likely a bit sensitive to posts like those referenced after trying to speak against them for so long.

I for one am excited for more conversation around the exciting times at Xbox right now. While people should feel free to vent and it's important to call out posts that are inaccurate or unfair, I'd certainly be happy to see a better balance between Xbox discussion and identifying community issues. Especially since I tend to come to this thread to largely avoid many of those conversations.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yo Wrinkles, share them Halo deetz, yo.

PM me. I'll keep your secrets.
Also talk to Rod about Gears 6.

Fly to England and discretely film some Fable footage at Playground.

Ask Ken Lobb about the next Killer Instinct.

Go to Japan and buy Miyazaki some drinks and have him spill his guts about Elden Ring.

Send me a XSX dev kit!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also talk to Rod about Gears 6.

Fly to England and discretely film some Fable footage at Playground.

Ask Ken Lobb about the next Killer Instinct.

Go to Japan and buy Miyazaki some drinks and have him spill his guts about Elden Ring.

Send me a XSX dev kit!
That's all already taken care of. I'll PM you after you request me on MySpace.

Ain't nothing free out here dug.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
On Twitter I see people talking about XSX being 12 teraflops now as well. One comment I noticed and I'm starting to understand why people are/were so skeptical on it being true. This comment :

If 12tf is true they are using a bigger, hotter and more expensive chip than any other AMD makes for PC. Consoles generally go smaller, cooler, less expensive, this bucks the trend if true.

Well, really seems MS is about to change that indeed then, wow. I mean we have three rather legit sources now....all we need is MS official announcement on it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
On Twitter I see people talking about XSX being 12 teraflops now as well. One comment I noticed and I'm starting to understand why people are/were so skeptical on it being true. This comment :

Well, really seems MS is about to change that indeed then, wow. I mean we have three rather legit sources now....all we need is MS official announcement on it.
I don't think there's much doubt on the 12tf. But according to the speculation thread multiple sources have claimed PS5 is a little more powerful than XSX, which means that Sony are bucking the trend also. Really hope these consoles live up to this initial hype. Worth remembering though that both AMD and Nvidia will have launched their new lines of GPUs before the consoles arrive.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I don't think there's much doubt on the 12tf. But according to the speculation thread multiple sources have claimed PS5 is a little more powerful than XSX, which means that Sony are bucking the trend also. Really hope these consoles live up to this initial hype. Worth remembering though that both AMD and Nvidia will have launched their new lines of GPUs before the consoles arrive.

You mean Andrew Reiner and another one that said devs told them the PS5 was more powerful? But that was way before Tom Warren came with his tweet, wasn't it?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
For Gods sakes...stay away from Bloober, Crytek and Remedy.

I know Remedy's stock has sky rocketed with Control but Remedy remind me of people who like to snif their own farts

Crytek...🤢

People have mentioned Bloober....there are smaller scale studios like Compulsion who, despite how WHF turned out. You can tell Compulsion is taking feedback, has self awareness and actually has potential to be great

Bloober on the other hand...I don't see their prospects improving anytime soon

Damn man, that's harsh. And unfair too.

Alan Wake, QB? Sure they took their sweet time, very sweet time with it and likely for MS a bit too long. But it seems they've cleaned up their act. Didn't they develop and finish Control relatively fast? And here we are, ended up in TGA and for some sites it even won. I'd love to see Remedy at XGS.

Aug 26, 2019

Richard from Digital Foundry also basically confirmed 12TF. This thing is going to be a beast :D

The GPU alone is like x10 more powerful than the OG One.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
You mean Andrew Reiner and another one that said devs told them the PS5 was more powerful? But that was way before Tom Warren came with his tweet, wasn't it?

It has pretty much been consensus among multiple insiders that PS5 is slightly more powerful. It was also said that 12 tflops (and change) is the number they had all along so there was no surprise there.

I think it's safe to say PS5 is 12+ unless we want to just disregard everyobe. That said, if it's really close there is always the opportunity to catch up by increasing clock rate.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
That was my initial thought. Could it also mean that their game could star some high profile actors/actresses?

Maybe. I think there's a lot of local VA talent as well.

I know that MS has continued to invest in Game Stack as part of Core OS. I wouldn't be surprised if they're constantly looking to invest in new technologies, especially since that's been the main focus of Sony's acquisitions this decade.

That's rumored to be the main reason for the change in form factor. It honestly shouldn't be too surprising that AMD can fabricate a chip with a larger die size. Isn't AMD also planning on launching more powerful cards with larger die sizes this year?

It has pretty much been consensus among multiple insiders that PS5 is slightly more powerful. It was also said that 12 tflops (and change) is the number they had all along so there was no surprise there.

I think it's safe to say PS5 is 12+ unless we want to just disregard everyobe. That said, if it's really close there is always the opportunity to catch up by increasing clock rate.

Have any links? Most of what I've seen has indicated that 12 TF (seemingly RDNA) was a surprise.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Maybe. I think there's a lot of local VA talent as well.

I know that MS has continued to invest in Game Stack as part of Core OS. I wouldn't be surprised if they're constantly looking to invest in new technologies, especially since that's been the main focus of Sony's acquisitions this decade.

That's rumored to be the main reason for the change in form factor. It honestly shouldn't be too surprising that AMD can fabricate a chip with a larger die size. Isn't AMD also planning on launching more powerful cards with larger die sizes this year?

Have any links? Most of what I've seen has indicated that 12 TF (seemingly RDNA) was a surprise.

Yeah same here. I recall Andrew saying he heard from devs PS5 was more powerful but that was before Tom Warren's tweet. And in that tweet he said MS wanted to surprise Sony or something and their devkit had not been final yet. Not exactly that but close.

Aug 26, 2019
According to a recent development over the in the next-gen thread, PS5 will be about 9.2TF (take it with a grain of salt). Jason and Matt have already stated that the difference between PS5 and Series X is very small, I think that Series X is 9.5TF. 9.5TF RDNA is two times the power of the One X, which aligns with what Phil said at TGAs.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
IIRC, back in 2017 Microsoft acquired the rights of a short story, and the writer said on Twitter that they were developing a game about it. Maybe it's the game that The Initiative is working on? I remember reading it and it was very good, could become something truly special if done right.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
According to a recent development over the in the next-gen thread, PS5 will be about 9.2TF (take it with a grain of salt). Jason and Matt have already stated that the difference between PS5 and Series X is very small, I think that Series X is 9.5TF. 9.5TF RDNA is two times the power of the One X, which aligns with what Phil said at TGAs.
But what would that make the rumoured 4tf Lockhart then? 3tf?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

But more and more it seems that it's 12, unless Tom Warren is just speculating as well in that tweet but it sure doesn't read that way.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I'm probably wrong about a lot of things but:

• It was a thriller / horror (100% certain)
  • The story was about some type of apocalypse, I think it was a portal that opened up to another dimension, and some type of black water invaded our world, corrupting everything it touched, and It kept rising
  • The main protagonist was a Father trying to take his family to a safe place
  • I think that the Black Water / Monsters feared or was hurt by lighting. I do remember that in the end, the survivors made their home on a ship/boat full of Christmas lights.
  • Also, I do remember one particular part, it was on a high corporation building. It was very intense.
I think it was shared in one OT, right before Halo Wars 2 Flood DLC was announced.

Jul 17, 2018
For Gods sakes...stay away from Bloober, Crytek and Remedy.

I know Remedy's stock has sky rocketed with Control but Remedy remind me of people who like to snif their own farts

Agreed 100%! I remember a poster questioning me when I said MS should leave Remedy alone. You explained Remedy better than me plus they take a long ass time with game development with the results being mediocre games. Trust me I use to badly want Microsoft to get Remedy for their "answer" to ND plus their atmospheric like games but.... Ninja Theory is a much better and capable alternative. We don't need Remedy especially after Quantum Break...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Agreed 100%! I remember a poster questioning me when I said MS should leave Remedy alone. You explained Remedy better than me plus they take a long ass time with game development with the results being mediocre games. Trust me I use to badly want Microsoft to get Remedy for their "answer" to ND plus their atmospheric like games but.... Ninja Theory is a much better and capable alternative. We don't need Remedy especially after Quantum Break...

What about Control though? I'd say that's a good step up from QB, plus their issues of taking a bit too long in terms of game development could be over. Control was announced last year and released this year. A big improvement for this studio. I honestly don't really get the negativity about Remedy.

You're right, I have no idea anymore. I'll go back to qualitative statements like how the Hellblade 2 trailer looked incredible and next-gen games will look and play amazing.

Same here, we just have to wait and see. Probably a good idea to hold off on throwing a party just yet, haha. Let's get Microsoft's official word on it though, and we're golden. If they don't mention it at all during the reveal event though (assuming there'll be one) that would be odd. It's definitely "boast" worthy.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
That's not really lining up with the continued 12 tf specs that are continually being leaked/talked about. I suspect it's going to be close to, if not hit 12

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Stupid people in video game forums:
I WONT BUY THE SERIES X IF THEY CONTINUE DEVELOPING GAMES FOR PC, A MARKET THAT I UNDERTAND VERY WELL BWAHAHAHHAHAHA

Also stupid people in video game forums:
WHAT? 2 CONSOLES? AND ONE OF THEM IS CHEAPER AND LESS POWERFUL?
what are they doing????? Downscaling you say? Whats that? That less powerful console will hold back next gen games!!!
People will still play the same games at 1080p? NONSENSE! If i have the pocket to buy a 4K tv for Series X everyone should have it 💁
What are these... Options??
Im pretty sure that the PC market doesnt work like that 🙄

I love when people think Microsoft is screwing it's self by releasing games on PC. As if Microsoft hasn't had two decades to figure this out and hasn't put millions in to market research and analysis. Like you're somehow outsmarting a massive corporation by buying something theyre selling you in a specific way. If youre buying it, you're not sticking it to the man, they're happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.