• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Is Microsoft going to leave all of their series incomplete on PC?
  • Fable 2 & 3
  • Forza Horizon 1 & 2
  • Gears 2 & 3
  • Halo 5

Forza: Nah
Fable: maybe, a new entry would probably raise the chances a bit, but I expect that to be a reboot anyway.
Gears: slightly bigger chance, especially if they're going to do more work on these on the console side anyway.
Halo 5: Probably, once all the other Halo stuff is in the MCC.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Microsoft going to leave all of their series incomplete on PC?
  • Fable 2 & 3
  • Forza Horizon 1 & 2
  • Gears 2 & 3I
  • Halo 5
Out of all those, I think only Halo 5 is a real possibility. BC on Xbox platforms used for xCloud on PC resolves the rest of those games.

Personally I've always thought Xbox should contract a studio to port their first party 360 games that never had PC ports for Steam, Windows Store, Game Pass on PC, and Switch as an additional revenue stream that would also include Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. They could use them to have a 4k/60fps, all the settings to Ultra XSX remastered versions that people can buy on XSX as well.

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
It seems that Xbox has lost its sense when designing this atrocity. Fucking hell, it's horrible.
Good lord. That stamp is atrocious.
Also I feel that 4K, HDR, Smart delivery are the type of information that should be on back of the cover.

On that note, I don't like the colors of the PS5 cover, but I appreciate the simplicity.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Outside of the giant optimized for Series X logo I think the box art looks fine. I actually think it's a pretty decent looking way to deal with showing what platforms are supported for what game.

Maybe it could do without the 4K/HDR/Smart Delivery logos but those don't really bother me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with the stuff directly under the Xbox banner, but the stamp is so bad, really should have just been text up there with 4K/HDR/Smart Delivery.
Outside of the giant optimized for Series X logo I think the box art looks fine. I actually think it's a pretty decent looking way to deal with showing what platforms are supported for what game.

Maybe it could do without the 4K/HDR/Smart Delivery logos but those don't really bother me.
Yeah, the text directly under the Xbox banner is totally fine, but the stamp is baaaaad.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
It super sucks they aren't designing a unique Xbox Series X cover art.

I bet it's just gonna have the same dashboard as Xbox One as well :(

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It super sucks they aren't designing a unique Xbox Series X cover art.

I bet it's just gonna have the same dashboard as Xbox One as well :(
If the Ubisoft renders are anything to go buy it is a PS4/5 style box(platform on the sleeve) instead of Xbox One style, so it is different.
Also they confirmed it will have the same dashboard as One, but the dash they will share isn't out yet.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all those, I think only Halo 5 is a real possibility. BC on Xbox platforms used for xCloud on PC resolves the rest of those games.

Personally I've always thought Xbox should contract a studio to port their first party 360 games that never had PC ports for Steam, Windows Store, Game Pass on PC, and Switch as an additional revenue stream that would also include Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. They could use them to have a 4k/60fps, all the settings to Ultra XSX remastered versions that people can buy on XSX as well.

Does it though?

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
With all WoW ingame achievements having a Xbox Live counterpart! OMFG!

That would be a smart move for both Blizzard and Microsoft:

Blizzard gets access to millions of potential new customers, Microsoft gets a game into its ecosystem that has proven for more then 15 years it can bind players to itself longterm.

I somehow doubt a monthly fee beyond Gold / GP(U) would sit well with the crowd, though.

They are adding rudimentary controller support in Shadowlands but they said it's purely for accessibility reasons. You can't do actual high end content with a gamepad, though basic leveling and questing would work. An average max level class will have around 15-20 keybinds. Some kinda wheel type interface might work, but they'd have to redesign the game to support slower gameplay I think. Also in an interview recently the game director said there are no plans when asked if the controller support meant it's coming to consoles.

Now, if MS would allow them to release it with KB/mouse "only" (controller still there for accessibility) then I can see it happening. But then there is a myriad of other issues like addon (mods) support which is 110% essential for any kind of high end content, i.e. mythic raiding. This content is balanced and designed around players using these addons. One of the most essential addons requires you to share long text strings with others that contains lua code. You usually copy/paste it from a website.

Console only servers without addons would work, but then Blizzard would need to balance all of the content (Mythic raiding and dungeons especially) separately for PC and console players... and they have a tough enough time balancing the game as it is. Maybe the console version could just have normal difficulty stuff only?

WoW Classic is a much more realistic proposition. The game is much simpler to play, addons are not needed, and dungeons/raids are easy compared to the modern game.

I would love to be proven wrong though. I think playing a more streamlined version of WoW on console would be super chill. I'd probably play it alongside the PC version, which I've literally been playing on and off for 15 years.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
The one thing I don't get is why are XSX/PC only games also "Optimized for Xbox Series X." The Medium (PC/XSX) is listed as "Optimized for Xbox Series X." Is this meant to highlight differences between Series X and Series S? So this badge will be there the whole generation b/c games will always be optimized for Series X over Series S?

www.xbox.com

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Games Optimized for Xbox Series X|S will showcase unparalleled visuals.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
How on earth did you guys seriously manage to talk about the size of the badge on the box art for like three pages? lol.

Whooooooo caressssss. If I were on the design team I'd make it a bit smaller, but that case is ultimately going to go on a shelf somewhere and never be looked at again. And for all we know the "Optimized" badge is a sticker on the shrinkwrap or something, and all of this was a big waste of time, lol.

Anyway, my vote for the next OT title is "Don't Forget To Take Your Joy"

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
How on earth did you guys seriously manage to talk about the size of the badge on the box art for like three pages? lol.

Whooooooo caressssss. If I were on the design team I'd make it a bit smaller, but that case is ultimately going to go on a shelf somewhere and never be looked at again. And for all we know the "Optimized" badge is a sticker on the shrinkwrap or something, and all of this was a big waste of time, lol.

its cover gate!! lol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Haha yup 😂

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't care much about box art anymore?

it's all about the dashboard icons baby!
Yeah, especially since I dont really buy physical for Xbox anymore. Remember those Switch icon threads? They lowkey need to come back, bad/boring dashboard icons suck when its all you see all the time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
4K Ultra HD is written on the XSX boxart so that has to be what it's referencing. Seems like an MS-patented buzz phrase to describe a feature. Altho to the person comparing the PS5 to the X1X: they'd be running two different versions of the game; as such, there'd be two different reasons why one console would hit 4K and the other wouldn't. But given Sony's first-party showcase, not hitting 4K doesn't make much sense.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what SKSE engine fixes is for (among many other things). I know there is no SKSE support on console.
To me (and I don't use the argument often) but the lack of proper bug fixes in Skyrim Special Edition just seems like laziness when modders fixed it years ago.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Here's what I want Microsoft to make:

A big budget, "AAA" Warhammer 40k third-person ARPG where you're an Adeptus Astartes Captain with your own battle barge that you can walk around inside and functions as your "home base".

Status
Not open for further replies.