Dec 18, 2019
Josh Sawyer's twitter is fucking dark right now

1LZaU6b.png

YTjMXqo.png

Last edited:

Levitates

Apr 9, 2020
Brazil
If you make cool boxarts, some people will buy the physical edition just because of how cool it looks. Microsoft want us to buy games on their store, this explains the ugly boxarts.

All according to the plan, boys.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
That is definitely referring only to Xbox consoles.

Honest question. But we know it won't be 4K on PS4 right? So it can't possibly only refer to the Xbox family of consoles. A theory somebody brought up is that the X1X is doing last gen visuals (regular XBO) at 4K and Series X doing next-gen visuals (ray-tracing and other goodies turned on) at 4K. I guess we'll have to wait and see to find out.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
They'll probably wait a few years into next-gen, and then spring for a new boxart design.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

1LZaU6b.png

YTjMXqo.png

Damn, hope he gets some help and support. Seems to be in a bad place
They'll probably wait a few years into next-gen, and then spring for a new boxart design.

I don't know about that. I think Microsoft is just going with "Xbox" from now, with the name of the hardware on the box. And they'll keep it that way.

Hopefully the BC team is able to improve a lot of Xbox One and older games. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Damn, hope he gets some help and support. Seems to be in a bad place

I don't know about that. I think Microsoft is just going with "Xbox" from now, with the name of the hardware on the box. And they'll keep it that way.

Hopefully the BC team is able to improve a lot of Xbox One and older games. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve.
But they'll eventually remove the badge once games stop being made for the One, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
cSG9JIu.jpg

Around 2008, Microsoft put out this promotional disc promoting their first party RPGs. From 2007-2008, Microsoft published two WRPGs and two JRPGs. It's a pretty incredible output for any publisher for an entire generation, let alone a year. Mass Effect 1 is my favourite game of all time, and Fable 2 is what I would probably consider the best Fable. JRPGs aren't really my thing, but Lost Odyssey always intrigued me. Never played Blue Dragon.

It's really great to see Microsoft invest in the genre again with Obsidian, Playground, and InXile.

With a Halo game at launch and a renewed focus on RPGs, it really feels like Microsoft is embracing the things that defined the brand early on. Coupled with new initiatives like Game Pass, I'm really optimistic for the upcoming generation.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Let's get a bit crazy here:

If you had one wish related to Xbox that was guaranteed to come true on July 23rd, what would it be?

For me it would be a sequel to Brütal Legend, developed by Double Fine:

- Jack Black reprising his role as Eddie
- Ophelia and other key characters returning
- Open World with a heavy focus on exploration, itemization and story
- 2P-Campaign-Coop
- cartoonish art Style in Unreal Engine 5
- focus on melee and magic combat (get support from Ninja Theory, Tim!)
- RTS elements returning as well, more refined than in the original
- character development through gear and skill trees, a bit Diablo-style: Clothes, weapons etc in different qualities, different skill trees based on various Metal genres: Viking Metal strengthening your melee abilities with axes, allowing you to summon a pair of ravens to attack enemies from above, add berserkers to your RTS troops etc
- Deities based on actual Metal musicians which you can swear allegiance to to receive special Gear and weapons, buffs, quests etc
- fully customizable, player-usable air and ground vehicles
- support for Spotify and other services to add your favourite music to the soundtrack (which already contains 200+ songs)

Give me this and I'll die a happy man!

Mistwalker joins Xbox,
  • Their first exclusive game is Lost Odyssey 2, co-developed with Asobo or Armature. Not much to show now, just a short teaser.
  • Fantasian will be coming to Xbox, launching on Game Pass sometime after it launches on Apple Arcade.
  • The US team will continue to operate as they have, serving as creative and artistic leads on outsourced projects, working with both internal and external teams.
  • The Tokyo team (Dawnwalker) will be grown to support large projects of their own, as well as continue to work with the core creative team on future projects.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017

If you had one wish related to Xbox that was guaranteed to come true on July 23rd, what would it be?

- 2P-Campaign-Coop
- character development through gear and skill trees, a bit Diablo-style: Clothes, weapons etc in different qualities, different skill trees based on various Metal genres: Viking Metal strengthening your melee abilities with axes, allowing you to summon a pair of ravens to attack enemies from above, add berserkers to your RTS troops etc
- Deities based on actual Metal musicians which you can swear allegiance to to receive special Gear and weapons, buffs, quests etc
- support for Spotify and other services to add your favourite music to the soundtrack (which already contains 200+ songs)

My wish: Remedy becomes 1st-party Xbox developer and works on Alan Wake 2.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

- 2P-Campaign-Coop

I'll do this too:

My dream is Microsoft announcing a Japanese studio initiative with Sakaguchi's Mistwalker expanded to develop JRPGs like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon remakes/sequels and Itagaki leading a studio to create a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden.

I will say your Brutal Legend 2 wish may be pretty likely. Jack Black has shown a desire to do it and he is in Psychonauts 2.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I mean, I honestly don't know how you could be looking at the US and come to any other conclusion than what he's feeling. I don't think it's a dark thread, it's just a realistic one.

"I just know that I feel awful every day and like I'm just waiting for the earth to fill up around me until I'm entombed and suffocate to death"

Disagree. This goes beyond normal anxiety and is how suicidal people talk.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

- 2P-Campaign-Coop

A AAA Naruto game with RTX raytracing and an art style that is realistic a la FFXV

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Here's my obligatory "They should try to get Tripwire Interactive" post. Xbox wants to continue to grow, so why not get the guys behind one of the most successful zombie GAAS titles and the team that made a literal shark RPG?
Just saying.

Honestly, studios that I feel could really add on to the Xbox brand (and are likely to at least be talked to at some point/already have):
Armature
Asobo
Behaviour Interactive
The Behemoth
Bloober Team
DONTNOD
The Farm 51
JP Games
People Can Fly
Turtle Rock
White Owls

I think Xbox will talk to (or will return to) studios like Moon, MDHR, Playdead, Remedy, etc but I don't think they'll join the first party. Mistwalker I'm not sure if it makes too much sense in the long run unless it's a Fargo scenario where Sakaguchi has no plans to retire soon.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China

- 2P-Campaign-Coop

I would want a brand new dashboard that has the delicacy and playfulness of Xbox 360/Zune era...

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Here's my obligatory "They should try to get Tripwire Interactive" post. Xbox wants to continue to grow, so why not get the guys behind one of the most successful zombie GAAS titles and the team that made a literal shark RPG?
Just saying.

Honestly, studios that I feel could really add on to the Xbox brand (and are likely to at least be talked to at some point/already have):
Armature
Asobo
Behaviour Interactive
The Behemoth
Bloober Team
DONTNOD
The Farm 51
JP Games
People Can Fly
Turtle Rock
White Owls

I think Xbox will talk to (or will return to) studios like Moon, MDHR, Playdead, Remedy, etc but I don't think they'll join the first party. Mistwalker I'm not sure if it makes too much sense in the long run unless it's a Fargo scenario where Sakaguchi has no plans to retire soon.

Sakaguchi has said he wants to remain an active creator even after what would be the typical retirement age in Japan (60). He's even gone so far as to say he still wants to be working in his 70s. Bond

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched the latest ID@Xbox video and this Boomerang Fu game looks like a great party game. Super stoked about this one.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Sakaguchi has said he wants to remain an active creator even after what would be the typical retirement age in Japan (60). He's even gone so far as to say he still wants to be working in his 70s. Bond
Man, I really hope he gets another chance to make something of the scale of Final Fantasy/Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey/etc. then soon.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

I wish Xbox would strike a deal with him to build his own studio from scratch, with an aim to have multiple teams. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were really good, MS just needed to keep at it to build those IP up, among some others, and show commitment to Japanese-made games.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The best part about the blades is the guide button.

We have the best guide dashboard currently. Don't want to go back to that waste of space.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Understand a bit where Sawyer is coming from, but that does seem (and he himself seems to suggest) that it's a very significant depression. Might need people to watch out for him more than just virtually. Hope he'll be ok :(

Edit: Eh. I'll just make the "Bundle 3rd party AAA games with Game Pass?" a thread and let it flounder out there

Last edited:

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

1LZaU6b.png

YTjMXqo.png
Poor bloke. I get how he feels. I went through a similar bought of depression at the same time, and while today is nowhere near as bad, it's taking its toll. My sleep is also fucked, I'm also stress eating, finding motivation is hard. Hopefully when we return to something akin to normalcy or this shit just wears us down, universal morale will go up.

I hope he continues to stay transparent and gets any help he may need. He's a brilliant devepoper and from what I've seen, a damn nice guy too.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I wish Xbox would strike a deal with him to build his own studio from scratch, with an aim to have multiple teams. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were really good, MS just needed to keep at it to build those IP up, among some others, and show commitment to Japanese-made games.

As much as I would love this, I'm not sure the logistics of it. Doesn't Sakaguchi basically split his time in half between Japan and Hawaii? Would seem difficult to build a studio from scratch that way.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018

1LZaU6b.png

YTjMXqo.png

That's awfully sad, I appreciate him as I writer and hope he can get some help. I feel like he's mixing his owns feeling with a pessimistic vision of America, which is not in a good position, right now.

Also, I wanted to point, he's saying Pillars of Eternity 2 (2018 tittle) flopped commercially. I knew the game didn't sell as expected, but flopped is a much more stronger definition.

(PoE 1 was one of my favorite games, still haven't played PoE 2... because personal reasons)

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would love this, I'm not sure the logistics of it. Doesn't Sakaguchi basically split his time in half between Japan and Hawaii? Would seem difficult to build a studio from scratch that way.

Oh, I have no idea how he spends his time. If that's true then I could see how heading up a new major studio would probably not fit his lifestyle.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
That's awfully sad, I appreciate him as I writer and hope he can get some help. I feel like he's mixing his owns feeling with a pessimistic vision of America, which is not in a good position, right now.

Also, I wanted to point, he's saying Pillars of Eternity 2 (2018 tittle) flopped commercially. I knew the game didn't sell as expected, but flopped is a much more stronger definition.

(PoE 1 was one of my favorite games, still haven't played PoE 2... because personal reasons)

It's been known for a while the game bombed. Josh has spoken about how a 3rd game wont happen without some major changes as PoE2 was a commercial failure compared to the first.

Destructoid Article.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017

Guess we'll find out soon enough. Current rumor is PS5 pre-orders going live in ~14 hours (12:30 pacific on Monday the 13th). I think a bunch of PS5 console/accessory SKU's have started appearing on various regional Amazon's as well in the last day or so.

If Sony does actually announce price tomorrow, I would bet MS moves Lockhart reveal to the 23rd and announce price/launch date at the same time. No reason to wait until August at that point and the August show could simply turn into a deeper dive on launch games + showing the updated dashboard, etc...

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
hey yall been away from xbox for awhile expecting good things from halo and fable if they can recapture what made the originals so great im all in

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Tech it will get a new dash its just the x1 will be getting the same dash

And we have yet to see that dash? It's not like what we have on One X now is what XSX will get? I don't have insider dash updates, so it's probably that, right?

Obsidian: ( fantasy skyrim like open world rpg. )
PLayground: Fable

(tin foil hat)
Inexile

"Did anyone else think there were too many RPGs at the Xbox games showcase?"

Wait for it ;)

Anyway, I don't think Starfield would be filed under fantasy worlds eh? I should give up on even hoping for something on it this year.

Vico

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Guess we'll find out soon enough. Current rumor is PS5 pre-orders going live in ~14 hours (12:30 pacific on Monday the 13th). I think a bunch of PS5 console/accessory SKU's have started appearing on various regional Amazon's as well in the last day or so.

If Sony does actually announce price tomorrow, I would bet MS moves Lockhart reveal to the 23rd and announce price/launch date at the same time. No reason to wait until August at that point and the August show could simply turn into a deeper dive on launch games + showing the updated dashboard, etc...

Woah, I didn't know they were planning on announcing it today (I mean, I didn't know the rumours). Would be super exciting!

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
Honest question. But we know it won't be 4K on PS4 right? So it can't possibly only refer to the Xbox family of consoles. A theory somebody brought up is that the X1X is doing last gen visuals (regular XBO) at 4K and Series X doing next-gen visuals (ray-tracing and other goodies turned on) at 4K. I guess we'll have to wait and see to find out.
Yeah I believe that could be the case, and if for PS5 they would need to sacrifice resolution in order to maintain graphical fidelity on par with XSX.
But I still think the sentence is only about the Xbox family. Right after it mentions that HDR is only capable on Xbox One S and newer, and don't mention anything about the PS platform (which I'm sure will have HDR).

Status
Not open for further replies.