• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Back in 2013 the estimated manufacturing costs for the Xbox One controller and DualShock 4 was $15 and $18 respectively, I don't really see how selling a console without a controller would cause a noteworthy price reduction, we're basically talking about a $20 price reduction here unless for some other reason Microsoft would be willing to take an extra big hit on such a SKU. If anything I'd say this is a bad thing because anyone who doesn't already own a XB1 or XSX would basically have to add whatever the price of a new controller is to the price of the console itself.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol werent people saying how even though the ps5 comes bundled in with a controller, the fact that the ps4 controller isnt supported was anti-consumer.

what would those people make of this? anti-consumer squared?

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
also if someone is a ps5-only user and they choose Xbox Lockhart as their next console they would pay 300 + 60 instead of 320?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Seems ill thought out.
An entry level console seems designed to entice your non hardcore Xbox fan, as they gravitate towards the best SKU available, but if they are a non Xbox gamer then they probably had a PS4 this gen and thus no spare Xbox controllers to use on this system.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like when this comes out we'll have a 50 page Era thread concerned about parents getting confused and buying a console without a controller for their kids.

My parents were always pretty good about that stuff, but some of my friends who wanted a Series X absolutely would've ended up with a Controllerless Lockhart instead.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is that if an xbox one S owner already has a controller, then they can cheaply upgrade to the new Series S for a very low price.
The problem is a lot will trade in their X1S, and unless they have multiple controllers, it won't be a savings.

Nov 28, 2017
Well, they WANT that $299, as a bare minimum for the SKU, so anything goes eh? If it's $199, then shit just gets real and bunker time.

I don't remember any console SKU (especially, at a console launch) without a bundled controller, like EVER.

How much does a controller actually cost Microsoft? $20? Less?

I mean before any speculation, do we have any BOM estimates for the controller?

Slightly under $25 with BOM + packaging. Rest of the MRP are retail/digital channel distribution (and sub-distribution if it's out of region, i.e. US/UK) margins.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Isn't it supposed to be a entry point? Only enthusiasts owns 10 controllers from previous generations.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
jesus. if this thing performs decently and I can cross-save stuff with PC, I could actually see doing it

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I don't get people saying it's smart. It's nice for people having Xbox controller already. But Xbox one is far from a market leader. So if they want to bring new people in it's very stupid would be a fake low price
They would obviously have a sku with a controller packed in. But having a cheaper option for people that already have a controller? Sign me up.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Sounds like something I'd get tbh. Planned on only getting one next gen console but if I can sue my Xbox One controllers and the console is pretty cheap then maybe it's a purchase.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Love to buy a grimy controller to use with my brand new console

Then buy a new one on e-bay for $30. The Xbox 360 controller probably work

For whatever it's worth, 3 weeks ago he mentioned that Microsoft could do this at $300 https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/16/...uation-means-for-the-next-generation-of-xbox/

Maybe it's just me but if Sony can somehow get the diskless PS5 to $399 I think Lockhart even at $299 it would struggle. I would rather spend the extra $100 unless Lockhart came with a controller and a drive for $299.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't as smart as you think
The BoM of the controller is 20$ or so. Probably less.
Controllers are absurdly marked up (or, well, are mostly about recouping R&D, depending on how you see it)

So a 50$ price drop for a controller missing doesn't make any sense in microsoft's book. If the console "with" was sold at a thin profit margin, the controllerless SKU becomes a net loss.

And cutting out the controller for a 25$ drop would be received as "insulting", likely.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I like this idea. The main issue here is you have to ABSOLUTELY COMMUNICATE that there is not a controller in the box. Could be an interesting strategy and a neat option for people with loads of Xbox One accessories already.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
The only way I see them offering a console SKU without controller is, if you only can order it through their website, but not at other retailers.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah it really doesn't make sense if they dont have a version with the controller. I would say its almost as bad as the Vita not coming with any storage, and having to buy expensive memory cards. So you we get a very cheap console, but now we have to buy a $60 controller.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Honestly I like this idea. The main issue here is you have to ABSOLUTELY COMMUNICATE that there is not a controller in the box. Could be an interesting strategy and a neat option for people with loads of Xbox One accessories already.

But people with loads of Xbox accessories would prefer the Series X

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Back in 2013 the estimated manufacturing costs for the Xbox One controller and DualShock 4 was $15 and $18 respectively, I don't really see how selling a console without a controller would cause a noteworthy price reduction, we're basically talking about a $20 price reduction here unless for some other reason Microsoft would be willing to take an extra big hit on such a SKU. If anything I'd say this is a bad thing because anyone who doesn't already own a XB1 or XSX would basically have to add whatever the price of a new controller is to the price of the console itself.
That's probably a bigger saving than the disc drive people are cutting off the 0
Ps5 de

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Not a bad idea honestly. I'm sure people can get cheap, used Xbox one controllers or use their current one if they already have one. Also, cuts down on e-waste.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Just keep everything controller and all under 300 and I'm buying Lockhart no matter what. If I've gotta spend closer to 400 though (I'd need a controller) I'm probably skipping out until MS First Party proves itself.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Isn't on the title of the thread that this is another SKU? Am I wrong? Why are people acting like if the no controller sku is the only option?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
But people with loads of Xbox accessories would prefer the Series X
Would they? Because the only way I'd buy Microsoft's next console is if I could get it dirt cheap so I could just play gamepass shit on it. And as someone who owns a Xbox One controller for PC gaming a cheap box that I could play gamepass games on sounds the most appealing to me.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Then buy a new one on e-bay for $30. The Xbox 360 controller probably work

Maybe I can use this bad boy on it....

Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Assortment

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
While it is possible since old XBO controllers will work, I doubt they will want people to buy a separate controller. A quick Google search gave me this link which showed BOM of XB360 controllers to be $11.
I'm not sure which component of XB1 (and XSX) controllers may increase BOM compared to XB360's counterparts, but still 100% increase is my guess of the upper limit. Thus by cutting the controller from the bundle, MS does not really save a lot of money on BOM, but they will have to either offer a price reduction which matches the MSRP of XB1/XSX controllers and see reduced margin, or offer a smaller reduction than that and see customers raging with having to buy a separate controller and ending up with higher cost than the console + controller bundle.
May be this option would be offerred beside the normal console + controller bundle as a low cost alternative? But then the communication should be clear on the box (e.g. showing the image of only the console without a controller, added labels, etc.)

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I suppose why not. Good for anyone who owns a controller already. Means if I got a Lockheart I could get that nice dark green One controller I've seen. There's actually a few really nice colours out there, rather than getting a boring packed in one with no choice.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be a bad idea if the average person buying consoles was informed, considering a regular XB1 controller works you don't really need a new controller.

However this would lead to a ton of people buying the console and not having a controller and wondering what happened.

Nov 8, 2017
lol werent people saying how even though the ps5 comes bundled in with a controller, the fact that the ps4 controller isnt supported was anti-consumer.

what would those people make of this? anti-consumer squared?

An optional sku for people who already have XBO gamepads (which will work with this) isn't a bad idea. If they didn't tell you it didn't come with a controller, and you had to buy a new one, then yeah that would suck.

I understand some people are raw but think about it - why would this be "anti consumer" if it was cheaper?

They can really bring down the price if they have an SKU without the console.

Yeah it's called xcloud and it's on the agenda.