Green

Oct 27, 2017
Don't see the difference between this and the PS5 making you buy a DualSense. You need to buy a new controller for both. One of them can't be proconsumer while the other is anti consumer. It doesn't matter if one costs $30 and the other is $50. The cost is passed onto the consumer.

You don't need to buy a new controller. You can use any Xbox One controller just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of parents who have kids with a pile of those controllers and this is the first time you don't actually have to throw those away essentially. The $$ are going to matter this year, too.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Don't see the difference between this and the PS5 making you buy a DualSense. You need to buy a new controller for both. One of them can't be proconsumer while the other is anti consumer. It doesn't matter if one costs $30 and the other is $50. The cost is passed onto the consumer.
I mean, this is obviously targeted at people who already have an Xbox controller. The speculation is there will be a Lockheart SKU without a controller, not that all Lockheart SKUs won't have one.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not part of that discussion, but my understanding is got cannot use the DS4 for a PS5 game, whereas this SKU would be for people who already have an Xbox One controller so you save money as it is 100% compatible.

So very pro consumer if true

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to buy a new controller. You can use any Xbox One controller just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of parents who have kids with a pile of those controllers and this is the first time you don't actually have to throw those away essentially. The $$ are going to matter this year, too.
So only parents with Xbox's can buy this? This cheap option could have been someone's first console.

bohex1984

Oct 27, 2017
I play on PC and have 3 Xbox controllers, if I can buy the console (Lockhart or even Series X) without the controller since there's no need, what would be the "problem"?
Of course, if MS does this communication is key...

Oct 27, 2017
If you're completely new to the ecosystem or buying it as a second console, controller choice for the smaller number of games you'd likely buy is actually a good thing. What if you just want a fight pad? Or a steering wheel? Or a HOTAS? If it carves $50 off the MSRP, and the normal controller is ~$50 that some won't use, the option hurts no one
It hurts price sensitive customers if they price it at $250 or $300 anyway but force you to buy a controller for $60.

a controller doesn't cost $60 to make. The Dual Shock4 was estimated to cost $15-$18 in 2013. The XSX controller looks to be adding a bit but nothing to put it over $15-$20.

so Xbox barely saving anytnjng on it, and controller removal will not move the SKU by $50

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not part of that discussion, but my understanding is got cannot use the DS4 for a PS5 game, whereas this SKU would be for people who already have an Xbox One controller so you save money as it is 100% compatible.

So very pro consumer if true
This SKU was argued to be for a cheaper option but now it's for a specific audience that needs to own a Xbox?
Edit: DS4 still works on a PS5 though

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So only parents with Xbox's can buy this? This cheap option could have been someone's first console.

If it's their first console they can either buy it with a new Xbox controller, or buy any of the old Xbox One controllers second-hand or 3rd party if they want to save a bit of money. This doesn't remove that option.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Presumably it wouldn't be the only SKU option.
It would be the cheapest one, so it would be the main marketed SKU.

If it's $249 no controller $299 with controller, then it's dumb. No console does that, and they don't need to go down to $249. $299 is enough.

Jan 4, 2018
If Lockhart is 300$, the initial entry price for next-gen with the All Access subscription (+24 months of Gamepass) would be as low as 22,5$/mo (if I'm correct).
20,5$/mo if 250$.

That would be absolutely crazy.

masterceewhy

Aug 4, 2020
Why would I want one? I already have a perfectly good Elite Series 2 that I paid good money for. I'm looking to get a lockhart just for the BC support.
Most people in your situation would buy an Xbox Series X, you can afford to buy an Elite series 2 but not the extra 100$ for a better console? Doesn't make sense to me. If the whole point of the lockhart is getting the casual gamer by having an ultra low price point, most won't have a controller. I guarantee you that will piss off alot of people. If my brand new iPhone came with no charger because "you already have a charger" I would be livid. Imagine getting a console with no controller. Also it costs barely nothing to provide one.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd see the day where launching a new console without an essential, esp. a controller, was labeled as pro consumer or "providing choice" yet here we are....

I don't think this is a pro-consumer move, I don't think its anti-consumer either. Shocking, I know right? If Microsoft does this, and I don't think they will, it'll most likely be a extra SKU cheaper than the Lockhart + controller SKU, meant for people who already have a controller.

I never thought we'd reach a day where not selling extra hardware you don't need is seen as anti-consumer, but here we are.

Its the same concept as PS5 all-digital edition. You don't need a disc drive because your collection is already digital, and you plan on staying digital in the future. So you can buy a console for a cheaper price.

Same with a console without a controller, you already have one - if you can get a box for cheaper without one, some people might prefer that.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Hmmm? It's (presumably) an option for people who don't need a new controller. How is that bad?

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
That would be awesome if they could actually cut costs down and pass the savings on legitimately. If they had an optional (reverse?)-bundle like this, it would be a win for someone who already has a controller. Hell, I might buy a 50$ cheaper PS5 without a Dualsense since its not one of the main reasons I'm excited for it.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you don't. You can use your old controller for this.

Either you weren't paying attention to what people were saying in the other thread or you're trolling.
A DS4 works on a PS5 so you don't need to buy PS5 games as old games work on the PS5.

I mean, this is obviously targeted at people who already have an Xbox controller. The speculation is there will be a Lockheart SKU without a controller, not that all Lockheart SKUs won't have one.
If this is true then cool.

I got to get back to work. Thanks for the discussion.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
They should add support for Dualshock 4 controllers.
Honestly, I'd love for Microsoft to support more third-party controllers, as I do think the idea of a console SKU that doesn't include a controller makes sense. I mean, Sony offered PlayStation TV without a controller if you wanted it. It'd be interesting if Microsoft somehow not only released a Lockhart SKU without a controller but also said to PlayStation 4 owners, "Hey, want to play the newest games with your current controller? Come on over!"

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd see the day where launching a new console without an essential, esp. a controller, was labeled as pro consumer or "providing choice" yet here we are....
Uhhh I have a controller. So yes, allowing me to customize my order to make the console cheaper is a good move. Have you never bought a PC online before? You can buy those things without a mouse and keyboard if you want.

It gives me more choices and a cheaper price. So yes, it's a pro consumer move. Not too hard to grasp.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

If it comes with a price drop over a SKU WITH a controller, how would it be anything but providing choice?

Like I said - the only risk would be confusing people into buying the one without a controller when it wasn't what they wanted.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
This is a good idea in theory for people upgrading from Xbox that just want a 1080p box for next gen.

The issue is that the average human is a brain-dead muppet, so all this will do is cause confusion and sadness.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: DS4 still works on a PS5 though
Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we're bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

Information on DualShock 4, PS VR, officially licensed peripherals, and more.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Most people in your situation would buy an Xbox Series X, you can afford to buy an Elite series 2 but not the extra 100$ for a better console? Doesn't make sense to me. If the whole point of the lockhart is getting the casual gamer by having an ultra low price point, most won't have a controller. I guarantee you that will piss off alot of people. If my brand new iPhone came with no charger because "you already have a charger" I would be livid. Imagine getting a console with no controller. Also it costs barely nothing to provide one.

I have no interest in "the most powerful console in the world" when my PC is already more powerful. My PC, however, can't play all my OG Xbox, 360, and Xbox One games. I also have a sub for Game Pass Ultimate, so I could play the occasional game on console, too. I've thought about this a lot. I live in Canada as well, and I can guarantee you it won't be $100 more for the Series X. More like 200-300 more. Lockhart will already be likely $400 CAD.

In the case of chargers, I do have plenty. I wouldn't be livid at all. Just like I wasn't when I got a new 3DS back in the day but didn't buy a charger since I already had the launch 3DS one and it worked fine. I like the environment.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If Lockhart is 300$, the initial entry price for next-gen with All Access (+24 months of Gamepass) would be as low as 22,5$/mo (if I'm correct).
20,5$/mo if 250$.

That would be crazy.
The SAD at $249 was 19.99, One S $299 and $22.99, One X $499 and $24.99

I'd actually think with Series S they will do $299 and $24.99/mo, and Series X $499 and $29.99/mo.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The SKU would be for those who really want to spend the minimum on a next gen machine and have a stack of current Xbox controllers. great idea in my opinion.
With it missing a disc drive and a controller, I think it's hard to predict its appeal. Trying to consider which demographic of gamer is out there that is dedicated enough to and can afford to buy stacks worth of XB1 controllers, but doesn't want the best that the next-gen can offer them, and then there's the gamers with the stacks of physical games that also only want to spend the minimum on top of this.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt that will shave too much off the cost of the console to make it worth it. I could understand the logic considering there will be people with Xbox One consoles/controllers upgrading, but you don't just sell a console out of the gate without an input device.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Why do these companies think this is a good idea? They do know the common consumer is not going to look at the box when picking up that system, I've seen it myself. They just ask for it and not even bother looking at the box.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Uhhh I have a controller. So yes, allowing me to customize my order to make the console cheaper is a good move. Have you never bought a PC online before? You can buy those things without a mouse and keyboard if you want.

It gives me more choices and a cheaper price. So yes, it's a pro consumer move. Not too hard to grasp.

Again I'm glad literally every person buying this console will already have the controller.

But hey since YOU already own them, the masses must too.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
$199 and I can see it being a thing. Just put a controller on sale around holiday times or even promote the DIY controllers they sell.

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like it's one SKU, meaning another will have a controller. If consumers can configure laptop and iPhone purchases that have countless options there shouldn't be any problem.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Again I'm glad literally every person buying this console will already have the controller.

But hey since YOU already own them, the masses must too.
It would supposedly be an option. Speculation is "a Lockheart SKU" without a controller. Not "the Lockheart SKU". There can be multiple Lockheart SKUs with and without controllers.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That would 100% be a complete waste of time. Lockhart is supposed to attract towards newer gamers to the fanbase, so they won't have a controller to use. I'm also assuming MS is hoping their current base to get SX.

Also people really need to stop reading twitter hot takes. Literally all consoles can be cheaper without a disc drive and controller. Not surprising.

masterceewhy

Aug 4, 2020
I have no interest in "the most powerful console in the world" when my PC is already more powerful. My PC, however, can't play all my OG Xbox, 360, and Xbox One games. I also have a sub for Game Pass Ultimate, so I could play the occasional game on console, too. I've thought about this a lot. I live in Canada as well, and I can guarantee you it won't be $100 more for the Series X. More like 200-300 more. Lockhart will already be likely $400 CAD.

In the case of chargers, I do have plenty. I wouldn't be livid at all. Just like I wasn't when I got a new 3DS back in the day but didn't buy a charger since I already had the launch 3DS one and it worked fine. I like the environment.

Ok I understand why you would buy the Lockhart, but I don't know how you can defend not providing a charger. Literally costs like $5 to provide for the company. Same with the controller, $25 at the most. Also controllers break and malfunction with wear and tear, everyone can use an extra controller.