Oct 30, 2017
Theoretically (again, I don't think this is actually happening) it would be for people who have an Xbox One controller already. You can just use that as your Lockhart system controller, since XBO controllers have full forwards compatibility.
Aren't they trying to expand their userbase?

I can at least understand if you have some massive consumer base that you want to retain. But ideally they want to attract new customers.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I mean I'll take a $30 less sku, but it seems the retail/sku confusion over such a move wouldn't be worth the effort for MS to do.
I always feel like people underestimate how savvy the average consumer is. Whilst your 50 year old nan might struggle, to 90% of the gaming audience it's really not that hard to differentiate between a premium and entry-level sku (X and S) and their various permutations.

But I do feel that at $30 you'd almost wonder whether it's worth it. Unless it enables a sizable cut, it's probably almost more hassle than its worth. But options.

Nov 8, 2017
Aren't they trying to expand their userbase?

I can at least understand if you have some massive consumer base that you want to retain. But ideally they want to attract new customers.

We don't know if this is a real thing or just somebody bouncing ideas, but even if it is real, there's no indication this is the only Lockhart sku, and in fact it would be very logical if it was not. As a supplementary slightly cheaper option for people who already have a controller, it seems like a perfectly fine idea. Most people would be buying the controller version, though.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So if it's your first Xbox (which it likely will be for a lot of people) you just have to buy a console and a controller separately?

What's the point of that? The cost-saving model doesn't provide a way to even play it.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I could see this type of sku being potentially exclusive to the microsoft online store or something if true. Cause yeah, the average consumer wont read the fine print unless its plastered across the box.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Or people who use an Xbox One gamepad on PC or their phones/ tablets for gaming.
The overlap of those that own an Xbox One controller outside of owning the box and those that would pick up a Series S as their first Xbox is infinitesimal, a rounding error.

Series S should also cut the HDMI cord. Those are cheap.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If they're willing to cut the price $50 after removing a ~$20 item, just price Lockhart $30 cheaper. If I was the target for Lockhart give me the console w/ the shiny new controller for $269.99 instead of a SKU with no controller for $249.99.

If you're that strapped and don't need a controller you could still trade it and the savings would be even more compelling, if only slightly.

Nov 8, 2017
The overlap of those that own an Xbox One controller outside of owning the box and those that would pick up a Series S as their first Xbox is infinitesimal, a rounding error.

Series S should also cut the HDMI cord. Those are cheap.

If you could do customized online orders that let you chop out things you don't need for savings that'd be pretty sick actually. The mass production logistics would probably be hard to work out but long term I'd really like that for products.

Adab1za9

Jun 8, 2020
Series S + Controller = $299
Series S No Controller = $249 + $60 Controller = $309

Wow, what an option.

"Many people" would just include those that already own an Xbox. An entry level priced console is going to bring in people that have never touched an Xbox One.

This would be as bad as the 360 Arcade not coming with a HDD. Well actually, worse. At least you could still play the 360 without it right out of the box lol.

If the Series S+ Controller sku is available then what is the problem ? i don't think this is happening but providing a choice is great, those who don't have a controller will buy Series S+Controller sku and those who have will buy the no controller SKU.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

Information on DualShock 4, PS VR, officially licensed peripherals, and more.
It says DS4 works on a ps5
A DS4 doesn't work with PS5 games according to Sony.

A Xbox One controller will work with next-gen Xbox games.

I hope I cleared it up for you.
But a DS4 does work on a PS5 though. You just play ps4 games.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Series S + Controller = $299
Series S No Controller = $249 + $60 Controller = $309

Wow, what an option.

"Many people" would just include those that already own an Xbox. An entry level priced console is going to bring in people that have never touched an Xbox One.

This would be as bad as the 360 Arcade not coming with a HDD. Well actually, worse. At least you could still play the 360 without it right out of the box lol.
That's a great option for me who has a controller. And they could price the controller at $50 dollars for those buying the console that need a controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is an awful idea if you want it to be a cheap entry point for a wide audience. If the Xbox One was some ubiquitous purchase during its lifespan it might make more sense, but as much ground as it made up it wasn't. Hopefully it's just a false rumour.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This is an awful idea if you want it to be a cheap entry point for a wide audience. If the Xbox One was some ubiquitous purchase during its lifespan it might make more sense, but as much ground as it made up it wasn't. Hopefully it's just a false rumour.
Do you think people are stupid? If they properly label the box you will know that you need to buy the controller separately.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
They should add support for Dualshock 4 controllers.
That would be legit awesome. With part of Xbox's strategy seemingly to be a compliment at a low low barrier for the Sony faithful, allowing PS5 purchasers to buy a $250 Xbox to get them into their ecosystem and be able to use their existing PS4 controllers... that would be something.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
But a DS4 does work on a PS5 though. You just play ps4 games.

And a Xbox One controller can play next-gen games. A dual shock 4 cannot be used to play next-gen games (according to Sony).

This is what you said originally:

Don't see the difference between this and the PS5 making you buy a DualSense. You need to buy a new controller for both.

And that's not true. You are wrong.

You can use your Xbox One controller to play next-gen Xbox games. You cannot use your Dual Shock 4 controller to play PS5 games.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a brilliant idea, but it's not a bad idea either. Let people choose their own controller. Shit, throw some coupons for an Elite Controller in the box.

Leaking this out just after Sony bungled the controller support on PS5 is probably the real brilliance.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Makes so much sense since every Xbox one controller will work with it. A super cheap Lockhart with no controller is going to allow so many people to buy into next gen earlier than expected.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, getting a fresh controller with a console helps me justify the expense of buying a new console.

There was a time when I considered buying one of those cheap Wii's because it was almost cheaper than buying the controller itself.

I don't think they'll sell a console without a controller. That seems like a step too far to cut costs. No disc drive? Sure.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if your are just trolling me at this point lol... But if you want to buy a PS5 to only pkay PS4 games then a similar SKU could be for you!
Are you putting words into my mouth? What's with everyone attacking people by keep calling them trolls? People aren't allowed to play ps4 games on ps5 but are allowed to buy an xbox with no controller packed in? I thought everyone talked up BC on Xbox and how it makes games so much better. People can't do the same with PS4 games on PS5? Oh right, PS5 can't play PS4 games but Xbox Series X is fully BC with xbox one games (let's forget the kinect exists just so what I say is correct and not make a fake ad campaign saying that it's %100 BC).

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Controller?
How ya gonna play it?

c123de091d6b099777f04288789e31baed0e6949.gifv

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever seen parents or people outside the gaming bubble try and buy consoles or accessories....?

Don't worry, they'll walk out of Gamestop with like 2 controllers, a preorder for another controller and a reserve for an Xbox Series X Pro which isn't even announced yet.

Anywhere you buy things could and would keep people informed of what they're buying I would think.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If the Series S+ Controller sku is available then what is the problem ? i don't think this is happening but providing a choice is great, those who don't have a controller will buy Series S+Controller sku and those who have will buy the no controller SKU.
They would only be doing that to sell to the wider demographic that buys in that low. Then they have to go buy a controller that brings the cost equal to or greater than the standard SKU anyway?

It's trying to have your cake and eat it too. It's worthless and is seen though immediately, like with the 360 Arcade and 20GB PS3.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would be legit awesome. With part of Xbox's strategy seemingly to be a compliment at a low low barrier for the Sony faithful, allowing PS5 purchasers to buy a $250 Xbox to get them into their ecosystem and be able to use their existing PS4 controllers... that would be something.
Won't happen. Xboxs don't have bluetooth and they won't allow open season through USB.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And a Xbox One controller can play next-gen games. A dual shock 4 cannot be used to play next-gen games (according to Sony).

This is what you said originally:

And that's not true. You are wrong.

You can use your Xbox One controller to play next-gen Xbox games. You cannot use your Dual Shock 4 controller to play PS5 games.
My second quote is regarding people without a xbox controller. You can use an xbox one controller but just have to buy one. If you don't have a dualshock why would it matter if it works on ps5? Sounds like you're arguing with me to make your point about something that I'm not arguing about. You might not be able to use a dualshock on a PS5 game according to sony but it comes with a controller that works.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
On a certain level, I think this could be a clever way to get a low-price "shock" value (in a good way). This would be tricky to do messaging for, though.

Adab1za9

Jun 8, 2020
They would only be doing that to sell to the wider demographic that buys in that low. Then they have to go buy a controller that brings the cost equal to or greater than the standard SKU anyway?

It's trying to have your cake and eat it too. It's worthless and is seen though immediately, like with the 360 Arcade and 20GB PS3.

If it is clear that the hypothetical 250$ sku have no controller and 300$ has one then again i am not seeing the problem, if someone buys the no controller sku and then buy a controller because they doesn't have one then it is on them. xbox controller are quite popular with PC users like me and i don't an additional one so i would rather save some money when buying the console

SodaGrump

Aug 2, 2020
This isn't a bad call, Xbox one controllers will work on them and they can be found for cheap.

But I'd be lying if I'd say this wasn't weird. It's like giving the consumer homework. "Here, you find the controller" I could see some very unhappy kid on Christmas who's grandma wasn't aware, and him not being able to play.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Are you putting words into my mouth? What's with everyone attacking people by keep calling them trolls? People aren't allowed to play ps4 games on ps5 but are allowed to buy an xbox with no controller packed in? I thought everyone talked up BC on Xbox and how it makes games so much better. People can't do the same with PS4 games on PS5? Oh right, PS5 can't play PS4 games but Xbox Series X is fully BC with xbox one games (let's forget the kinect exists just so what I say is correct and not make a fake ad campaign saying that it's %100 BC).
Easy now come of your soapbox, I was pushing in jest at I thought you were.

Our discussion about how this SKU is somehow anti consumer.. And a comparison of the PS5 was brought up.

I don't think either is anti consumer and have no horse in this race.

I just explained why this SKU could make sense vs Sony doing the same.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Are some people still seriously expecting a $200 Lockhart and $300-400 SX/PS5??

This thing will be $299 at best, and Microsoft will want to shave off the $20 off the controller because they'd rather take a $30 loss per console than a $50 loss.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Sorta reminds me of nintendo selling you a 3ds without a charging cable because you probably definitely have one

But this is actually not a bad idea. If all your old controllers work with it and you could literally buy any other one not just a series controller, then yea go for lowering the sticker price. As long as it's clearly labeled then that's fine.

A lot of people will buy a super cheap console just to play Halo

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My second quote is regarding people without a xbox controller. You can use an xbox one controller but just have to buy one. If you don't have a dualshock why would it matter if it works on ps5?

Go back and read what the people you quoted said, this is what Anno said:

What? Offering a cheaper option for people who don't need a controller sounds pretty pro-consumer to me. I know I'd prefer to have that option.

You had multiple opportunities to clarify, but you never did until now.

Sounds like you're arguing with me to make your point about something that I'm not arguing about.

People have replied to you that you can't use Dual Shock 4 for PS5 games, you somehow change the argument to you can use DS4 with PS5. People have replied to you that they wouldn't mind having an option as they already have a controller, you double-down on the anti-consumer narrative and say its the same thing as DS4/Dual Sense.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I can see someone buys this to his son as a xmas gift who didn't read the box. Then in opening day he can't play it.

While his other friend got a ps5/series x and is already playing something.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think most people who would have XBox One controllers already would buy SX over Lockhart. Lockhart seems like something the new buyer would purchase. No controller for that seems...not the best thing to do.