• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Well guess my fears are kinda justified now :( Hope this doesn't mean no OG Xbox or 4K 360 games.

Oh wow. Here's hoping they'll still commit to BC until next year then. They've already gotten so many games and lots of heavy hitters for Xbox 360 compatible on Xbox One that there's not much left anyway. I was keeping my Original Xbox collection around just in case Microsoft announces any more new games but I think I'm just gonna wind up selling most of them or getting an Original Xbox console again.

May 21, 2018
In light of this recent development, I'm not convinced the program is done yet -- and not by any means.

However, having said that... it is always a wise decision to keep your original consoles around. The 'traditional way' is the safest way.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. Here's hoping they'll still commit to BC until next year then. They've already gotten so many games and lots of heavy hitters for Xbox 360 compatible on Xbox One that there's not much left anyway. I was keeping my Original Xbox collection around just in case Microsoft announces any more new games but I think I'm just gonna wind up selling most of them or getting an Original Xbox console again.

That would frustrate many. Not a smart decision.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Well, it is all speculation until we know more about this. It would seem that X360 BC will continue in some capacity regardless, considering we just got MGS like two days ago. But, perhaps we should try making some some noise about this? Maybe some of us should try to ask Phil or Major Nelson what is up on Twitter?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
In light of this recent development, I'm not convinced the program is done yet -- and not by any means.

However, having said that... it is always a wise decision to keep your original consoles around. The 'traditional way' is the safest way.

I'm getting awfully nervous about my aging 360's disc drive. To be fair, the ability to install content locally avoids *most* of the issues with that, but right now I'm playing Forza Motorsport 1 on it (so original Xbox on 360 back-compat) and that's not installable (and my original Xbox, while I still own it, isn't connected up and the disc drive is in an even worse state)

While I'm fairly neutral for the most part on physical versus digital, disc mechanisms on old systems are a growing concern of mine, which is markedly less of an issue on digital content!

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is everyone just assuming all the current BC games will just work on the next generation Xbox? I would like to think so, but then again there are lots of of original Xbox games that were compatiable on the 360, but still not available on the XB1.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Is everyone just assuming all the current BC games will just work on the next generation Xbox? I would like to think so, but then again there are lots of of original Xbox games that were compatiable on the 360, but still not available on the XB1.
OG Xbox games were put on an emulator designed with 360 architecture in mind, and 360 and X1 have different architecture. OG Xbox and 360 games are running on an emulator designed for X1's X86 architecture, and "X2" will have similar X86 architecture, so the emulators should be able to work without issue this time. However, the library isn't going to be all that impressive, given Xbox OG BC seems to be done now. :/

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OG Xbox games were put on an emulator designed with 360 architecture in mind, and 360 and X1 have different architecture. OG Xbox and 360 games are running on an emulator designed for X1's X86 architecture, and "X2" will have similar X86 architecture, so the emulators should be able to work without issue this time. However, the library isn't going to be all that impressive, given Xbox OG BC seems to be done now. :/
Good point about the hardware differences. Makes sense.

Why are you assuming they're done with OG XBox? That would be really disappointing if true.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Nope, I know other people who want it too.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it, it was a pretty decent game - somewhat bland, but fun for a playthrough.

There's more to it than that. No confirmations that I know of, but multiple hints dropped by Xbox people that the investment they're making with BC is for the long run.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A while ago EvilBoris claimed that from his understanding they've recently begun to phase 360 backwards compatibility testing to outsourced third parties. In the past, dating back to this thread on GAF, he's had inner access to a pending list of backwards compatible games and has been quite accurate in the games that are soon to become available, so there's that.

My interpretation of this is that the program isn't facing a gradual end all that soon, but there's been a shift in priorities and that's been apparent in the drop to single day announcements each week. It doesn't really tell me much on OG backwards compatible games and its state now since EvB only mentioned 360 games, perhaps he can offer up some more information on the rest of the program if he has it.
This...the process is complete...the emulator is solid

They are just testing the approved games left and doing the work with companies to try to get more games

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Why are you assuming they're done with OG XBox? That would be really disappointing if true.
I'm just starting to buy into what others have been saying here. There haven't been any new OG Xbox games added in a very long time now. There have been no new announcements on the program. Same for 4K enhancements for 360 games. On top of that, Ryan Mccaffrey tweeted last night that the BC Team is working on the Xcloud streaming service now. I think BC may just be a trickle of 360 games (with no enhancements) now. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
you people do know that games need to be made BC first to be streamed on xcloud right
and that enhanced games would be an even bigger attractive for it

theres no relation between "bc team is partially working on the cloud" and "BC IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!"

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
We just got one of the most highly requested games this week and I'm reading that bc is dead lol. Not to mention modern warfare 2 pretty recently.

Also I believe they implied /promised all non licensed first party 360 games. So until they give us crackdown 2 (are there others?) bc lives.

With the seeming success of gamepass and their streaming plans talk of them stopping the program is even more crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
you people do know that games need to be made BC first to be streamed on xcloud right
and that enhanced games would be an even bigger attractive for it

theres no relation between "bc team is partially working on the cloud" and "BC IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!"
Yup. Project xCloud uses Xbox One-based hardware, so work done for future titles to be supported by the service would inherently apply to consumer X1s and vice versa.

We just got one of the most highly requested games this week and I'm reading that bc is dead lol. Not to mention modern warfare 2 pretty recently.
BC has been doomed since E3 2015.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Count me in too. Even I got the 1G achievement for beating Seraphic Queen in Infinite Mode. Was not a perfect game and I like it a lot ( and for more wishlist games I like Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII, The Last Remnant and some more games from Capcom like RE Code Veronica)

Eternal Sonata was a beautiful game, but I got a bit bored with it, sadly. I really hope we get to see FFXIII and The Last Remnant too. Shame the remaster isn't coming to Xbox.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The overreactions to this get to me. These are lead. engineers At this point they've done all the engineering needed for backcompat - the emulators are there and work fine, these aren't the people who were personally testing every single game. All it's saying is Microsoft are generally happy with the quality of their emulators (for good reason) and no longer require a full team to work on them.

Not, as for some reason y'all seem to think, that this is the death of backwards compatibility releases.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
I enjoyed Eternal Sonata, the battle system and the graphics were amazing.
More JRPGs need to be BC. We got only Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon so far.

Yep, we need more jrpgs on BC. Oh, I forgot Nier on my wishlist. Eternal Sonata was a game with great graphics, music and battle system but the story was bad. I think I bought every jrpg on 360 even Enchanted Arms ( my god, hated that game). Let's see what MS have in store for BC for the upcoming months and see if any of those rpgs comes out

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is bit depth increased only on X enhanced games? Im playing Alice and the most eye catching thing besides no screen tearing is how there's much less banding on basically the entire alpha channel. lol However it's just a standard 360 BC game.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The overreactions to this get to me. These are lead. engineers At this point they've done all the engineering needed for backcompat - the emulators are there and work fine, these aren't the people who were personally testing every single game. All it's saying is Microsoft are generally happy with the quality of their emulators (for good reason) and no longer require a full team to work on them.

Not, as for some reason y'all seem to think, that this is the death of backwards compatibility releases.
It's not just that though The other big factor is that there are a lot of Xbox 360 games compatible with Xbox One, so really what's left? Sure, we still have a few more big titles that aren't compatible yet, but aside from those, realistically what else is there? There's a good chance that our favorite games won't make it. There's going to be someone out there who has at least one Xbox 360 game that won't work with Xbox One. But we knew that going into this. Not every Xbox 360 game will be compatible. That's just how it's going to be, and with many of the big, popular games already compatible, it's natural for announcements of newer titles to slow down because there just aren't that many left.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just that though The other big factor is that there are a lot of Xbox 360 games compatible with Xbox One, so really what's left?

A lot:

Anarchy Reigns
Asura's Wrath
Nier
Binary Domain
The Darkness
Enslaved
Bangai-O HD
Remember Me
Darkstalkers Resurrection
Space Channel 5 Part 2
SF vs Tekken
Puzzle Bobble Online
Bubble Bobble Neo
Ridge Racer 6
Ninja Gaiden 2
Virtual-On Force
Way of the Samurai 3
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
All the Cave shooters
Eschatos
Castlevania LOS

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
A lot:

Anarchy Reigns
Asura's Wrath
Nier
Binary Domain
The Darkness
Enslaved
Bangai-O HD
Remember Me
Space Channel 5 Part 2
SF vs Tekken
Puzzle Bobble Online
Bubble Bobble Neo
Ridge Racer 6
Ninja Gaiden 2
Virtual-On Force
Way of the Samurai 3
All the Cave shooters
Eschatos
Castlevania LOS
Many of these games were not big sellers. Some games in your list are bigger than others, like Ninja Gaiden II and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but others are very niche and/or didn't sell well when they originally released. You might care about them but I doubt there'd be a lot of others.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017

If they left it with the current offering, OG Xbox "backwards compatibility" would be less "BC" and more like a random assortment of ports. Aside from Panzer Dragoon, none of the Sega exclusives are there, not to mention Microsoft first-party stuff like Fable or Sudeki.
I have a pretty decent Xbox collection (mostly NTSC-J), and not even half of them are BC.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Many of these games were not big sellers. Some games in your list are bigger than others, like Ninja Gaiden II and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but others are very niche and/or didn't sell well when they originally released. You might care about them but I doubt there'd be a lot of others.

I don't care: If rubbish like those Cabela games can be made BC, so can classics like Nier and The Darkness.

If they left it with the current offering, OG Xbox "backwards compatibility" would be less "BC" and more like a random assortment of ports. Aside from Panzer Dragoon, none of the Sega exclusives are there, not to mention Microsoft first-party stuff like Fable or Sudeki.
I have a pretty decent Xbox collection (mostly NTSC-J), and not even half of them are BC.

Indeed, the selection is paltry. I had hoped for batches every few months. :(

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa

Also I believe they implied /promised all non licensed first party 360 games. So until they give us crackdown 2 (are there others?) bc lives.

With the seeming success of gamepass and their streaming plans talk of them stopping the program is even more crazy.
People are saying 4K enhanced BC is dead, not BC is dead.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
People are saying 4K enhanced BC is dead, not BC is dead.
I'm not even really saying that per se myself, just that seems to be the case. It is really unfortunate and disappointing if so, because so few games ever got that treatment, and the ones that did looked amazing. It was truly one of the best and most compelling features of the X to me.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I'm not even really saying that per se myself, just that seems to be the case. It is really unfortunate and disappointing if so, because so few games ever got that treatment, and the ones that did looked amazing. It was truly one of the best and most compelling features of the X to me.
Fully agreed, shame some titles like Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon didn't get the 4K treatment considering there's no PC version.

I wish the program focused on taking games stuck at low resolutions and bringing them up to today's standards. MGS Collection and Silent Hill Downpour being another batch.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Don't worry guys, Microsoft will announce 4K patches for Lost Odyssey, Reach and Midnight Club LA any day now amirite?

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, we need more jrpgs on BC. Oh, I forgot Nier on my wishlist. Eternal Sonata was a game with great graphics, music and battle system but the story was bad. I think I bought every jrpg on 360 even Enchanted Arms ( my god, hated that game). Let's see what MS have in store for BC for the upcoming months and see if any of those rpgs comes out

Nier is probably the top of my list. My god I loved that game. Such a surprise too. I played it even though the trailers looked pretty shit, just because it was Taro. Blow away. That second the music starts swelling on those plains is something I'll always remember.
And I actually kinda enjoyed Enchanted Arms. I thought the voice actor for the lead guy was really fun to listen to.

Oct 27, 2017
Low-key I remember enjoying Enhanced Arms as well lol, I oddly thought Nier was already BC I guess Square Enix decided to charge ahead on the remaster that won't be made because Square hates my money.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
No thanks, already has a 10/10 PC version that runs at 60.
The specs on my pc are at least as powerful as xonex and I still want this.

1) I already own it on xbox
2) Sorry but PC still sucks as a console like experience on a tv and couch, you have to inevitably plug in a mouse and keyboard to change setting or fix something.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A lot:

Anarchy Reigns
Asura's Wrath
Nier
Binary Domain
The Darkness
Enslaved
Bangai-O HD
Remember Me
Space Channel 5 Part 2
SF vs Tekken
Puzzle Bobble Online
Bubble Bobble Neo
Ridge Racer 6
Ninja Gaiden 2
Virtual-On Force
Way of the Samurai 3
All the Cave shooters
Eschatos
Castlevania LOS

The Club
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
Virtua Fighter 5 Banilla
Virtua Tennis 3/4
Stranglehold

There's tonnes they could still do

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I get that people certain games but with the glacial pace we are getting enhancements I don't want them using up slots on games with PC ports when there are still a ton of 360 exclusives to get to.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The 4K enhanced titles were only for very special cases and require extra work, we can not expect these with any sort of regular frequency. Just getting a 4K RDR is a miracle in itself.

That said, I always had a feeling they were saving NGII for a 4K enhanced release due to the attention around it. Wishful thinking I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
With MGS HD now compatabile I'm one step closer to being able to retire my PS3 off current rotation (other reasons being not possible since it's MGS4 and Initial D).

Just give me Deathsmiles damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.