Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Hope we can disable Quick Resume down the line. It should be able to free some 40GB (4 Quick Resume games, 10GB RAM dump).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone jumps straight to COD to prove some point but that stupid game is the outlier. Most "big" games are 50-80GB not 250GB
Yeah, it's a flawed argument as if it's mandatory or the only way to play. Last gen game will work fine with any cheap HDD expansion, it's not really an issue if you want to save space as there's an easy, cost effective way to resolve it (CoD).

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Good thing I don't play CoD. It is pretty low but I've always been stingy about memory so it shouldn't affect me too much. And once I get through my PS4 backlog I plan on formatting my 2 TB external HD for transferring games to Series S, if need be.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way around it, cold storage and storage expansion are going to be vital for all consoles this gen.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
It's fine and expected. I feel like we're getting all this concern about games running at 1080p and the SSD from hardcore gamers when the thing is not being targeted at people who want the highest visual fidelity or buy tons of AAA games.

I'm getting a Series X (for me) and a Series S (for the living room to play games with my wife and kids). I actually have a backup Series X preorder that I could replace my Series S with but I like everything I see from it. The thing is going to be used to play stuff like Fusion Frenzy, Overcooked 2, Minecraft Dungeons and Rocket League.I think my son wants to play Oblivion on it as well. Eventually we'll probably get some of the rare replay games on it but if you add that all up there is still plenty of space.

As for the expansion memory, the prices will go down on those and they mentioned they would make bigger AND smaller sizes eventually. Later in this gen if we feel like we have to upgrade I'm positive there will be something at 100 or less that could do the job but honestly I don't think it will ever be a big problem in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
They've 'announced' that they will make cards for different sizes, but those won't be available at launch, or launch window, or for a while at the earliest.

It's a genuine concern.
Sure. I also don't think anyone will max out the Series S storage at launch outside of trying a gotcha moment. The options are gonna be widened up sooner than later.
Why in the world would you buy or sell a 128GB or 256GB proprietary SSD for more storage space in this modern era?

Pointing out that Series S + Expansion SSD is a bad value is concern trolling now? The term has lost all meaning.
It's expansion storage. Sure 128GB/256GB(119 Gib/238Gib) might seems small but it's an option for those more budget conscious. And regarding your second statement, it is concern trolling when it comes from the same individuals ever since the console announcement, to the point that i see these individuals in every thread about the console, either good or bad news, with the same argumentation. It's tiring, to the point i'm starting to hesitate in seeing any thread about Xbox Series S because these same "arguments" will arise from the same individuals.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna need a cold storage solution for any console you choose for sure. Better get on them Black Friday deals y'all.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
not great, but that's okay.

I mostly only play one game at one time, so I'll put previous game on my usb drive , just in case when I want to play it again later.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna need a cold storage solution for any console you choose for sure. Better get on them Black Friday deals y'all.

There was a fantastic 1TBSSD + USB 3.1 Enclosure deal for less than $100 last month for the Prime day.

I don't have any of the next gen consoles pre ordered but I snatched it just in case lol

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Not every game is massive, and we don't know the difference in file sizes for full fat versions vs Series S.

In the end this is a non issue, or at least it's not an issue that's unique to Series S this gen. If a title is 250GB, it's going to pose a problem for every system if you couple it with a handful of other major AAA games. These systems were never going to house your entire collection if you buy a lot of titles sitting at the 100+GB range, and it just happens that Series S might require that you rearrange a little more often. If you're that much of a power user that you want quick access to replay every game you've already beaten, get Series X for a start, or alternatively just get an expansion drive. You can only expect so much from a next gen system at $300.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone jumps straight to COD to prove some point but that stupid game is the outlier. Most "big" games are 50-80GB not 250GB
Certainly, but it's an extremely popular franchise to be fair. Warzone exceeded 60 million downloads, and that was back in May. As such, that particular game will be on many hard drives.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Considering the often required installation of disc based games and patch sizes, this likely is the same for all next gen systems. At the very least, with the S aiming for 1080p, I'd expect its file sizes to be smaller than its 4K next gen counterparts.

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. Microsoft dropped the ball by using USB 3.0/1(Don't remember right now, but i think it's 3.1 Gen 1 which is equivalent to the old 3.0) because it will limit transfer speeds. But regardless, Cold Storage is the cheapest way to store next-gen games.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
People gotta realize that system is not for the hardcore.

As long as fits COD + FIFA + a couple other games it's fine for the casual crowd.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see how much smaller smart delivery next gen only games are on the XSS.

I don't think I've seen a 4k texture pack for a big game be anything less than 10GB, usually 20 on PC.

Regardless, the hardcore who care about fridge management all have externals for cold storage. I doubt the people who buy 4 retail games a year that make up the majority of the market will be too worried about deleting games they haven't played in a year

Deleted member 79058

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Not sure if it does as quick resume is essentially part of the OS now, I assume we will find all that out when the embargo ends sometime this week.

Alright. Thanks!

Is that true? Quite odd if so. But regardless, let's not forget that MS promises at least 100GB of virtual RAM for developers with Velocity Architecture. I think quite some amount will stay reserved and users won't be able to turn off as system level.

Still should be able to free 30-40GB. 512 - 364 = 148. Lets wait and see.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Even though I'd say the Series S isn't for the average era user (they'll be getting the Series X), the average non-Era gamer is probably more likely to be a fan of COD in which case I'd advise them against the Series S.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The moment a Series S owner considers the expansion card, is the moment DJ Khaled pops out of nowhere with "Congratulations, you played yourself."

I struggle to find any financial or technical logic in a Series S + expansion SSD.
It seems kinda predatory to me tbh.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Even though I'd say the Series S isn't for the average era user (they'll be getting the Series X), the average non-Era gamer is probably more likely to be a fan of COD in which case I'd advise them against the Series S.

Yep. At work, I talk to people who don't pay attention to gaming news much, but if they've played on console this gen or used a smartphone they already know about storage. It's not some mysterious thing. Hell, look at the views some tech YouTubers get and people should realize a lot of this isn't niche anymore. Technology is daily life. Most people I've talked to who are undecided end up gravitating to Series X when I lay everything out. I imagine Series S will still be quite successful, but we'll have to wait on word of mouth.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox one has an attach rate of 6.55. This should be enough for the users that only buy 1 game a year.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I own the Xbox One all-digital edition, which has 1000GB memory, so I find it disappointing that the next-gen model that interest me the most has less than half of that memory.
It'll probably go with the much more expensive Series X, unfortunately.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Although this size is small I'd say the Series S here would work well for someone using a PS5 as their primary console with the Series S as a gamepass box.

These people will be able to get a lot of value out of being able to use that space for a large amount of indies and the smaller games generally found on the service.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Feel like this is currently the worst thing about it, as someone that is probably gonna buy one in the future.

For what is essentially a gamepass console, it sort of defeats the point of that ability to jump into whatever game you want (quickly) when you'll have, what, about 5-6 next/current gen games installed at the same time? And that's best case scenario, especially toward the mid-to-late gen. I get they wanted to keep the costs down, but yeah, is a bit of a bummer.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
The Series S is really a poor proposition. I just can't see the reasoning behind it, and likely that's part of why X1X is no longer available.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I get the pitch with this thing, but the storage seems like a real issue. And if you're going to buy expanded storage...you probably might as well have gotten the X at that point.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why. It's next-gen feature set for $299. 512 GB was a necessity to save costs and achieve this low-price. If you buy a Xbox Series S you have the options:
- Cheap external USB SSD/HD for your BC games and for cold storage
- Expansion Storage. Which is limited to 1TB right now, but the storage option will be widened sooner than later.

To not even talk to about the fact that Xbox Series S will have lower quality assets, which were estimated to save up to 30% in game size, the fact Xbox Velocity Architecture means that developers will not have to duplicate assets/redudancy assets, which was a big problem on HD as the more an HDD is filled up, the better it performs. In my honest opinion, this storage story is being way overblown.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's like call of duty and maybe one assassin's creed + some other small games. That's small. :/

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Feel like this is currently the worst thing about it, as someone that is probably gonna buy one in the future.

For what is essentially a gamepass console, it sort of defeats the point of that ability to jump into whatever game you want (quickly) when you'll have, what, about 5-6 next/current gen games installed at the same time? And that's best case scenario, especially toward the mid-to-late gen. I get they wanted to keep the costs down, but yeah, is a bit of a bummer.
aren't they working on the Project x cloud thing for console tho? To make Game Pass games stream like they do on PS Now?
And then download them if u want better quality. I would think Game Pass is going in that direction in the next 2 years

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast

It's definitely taking advantage of people who wouldn't normally be looking into expanding storage. Having proprietary storage will make it a lot less confusing and stressful. It feels like they knew this conversation would come up and responded with a solution for a problem they themselves created. I don't know if I'd call it predatory with gamepass as a major focus, but it's on that line. Still, that the storage can be expanded at all is good when you have something like an iPhone releasing with 64GB of non-expandable storage unless you pay for iCloud to back up what you don't immediately need.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
The Xbox one has an attach rate of 6.55. This should be enough for the users that only buy 1 game a year.

It's almost like MS have done research into the gaming parameters for casual users heading in to the next gen and attempted to deliver an attractive option for them. But let's go with predatory.....

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Series S is really a poor proposition. I just can't see the reasoning behind it, and likely that's part of why X1X is no longer available.
The reasoning behind it is it's a next-gen console for $299. Families don't care if it's not 4K and can only store 5-10 games. That's all they need. For the vast majority of consumers this isn't even a concern.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Instead of celebrating that this budget $299 system has the same ultrafast SSD technology as the $500 boxes with an equivalent CPU so that it can enjoy scaled down versions of the same games so many here fixate on the compromises that make it's existence possible. You want more storage space and and a GPU capable of better graphics . . . it's called the Series X.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
aren't they working on the Project x cloud thing for console tho? To make Game Pass games stream like they do on PS Now?
And then download them if u want better quality. I would think Game Pass is going in that direction in the next 2 years
Yeah I could definitely see that. Would be a decent workaround for this issue.

Deleted member 79058

Banned
Aug 25, 2020