Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Genuinely surprised at that price, I was pretty certain it was going to be £300 at the minimum. Hopefully this means the Series X will be £450 and the PS5 will have to match (or hopefully beat!) it.

Oct 29, 2017
That's is insane! Was expecting £299. That's Danish kroner 2.200,- for a next gen console! I might get it at launch then, for game pass, bc, and Xbox exclusives, and wait for a PS5 price drop. MS really want's this to be competitive.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
A gamepass console is really tempting to me, but I don't think I can deal with 1080p when I'm used to 4k

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Very aggressive price and puts it in direct competition with the Switch as well as PS5.

Seen a lot of people saying this'll be there secondary system alongside PS5/PC, which is where Switch also sits for a lot of people, so I wonder if this has Nintendo nervous at all?

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Had no plans on getting a next gen Xbox but that price is really something else.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to pick up a new Xbox but at this price it will come in handy as a game pass machine next to my shiny ps5

PS5 at launch, Series S + GamePass when Halo Infinite Releases.

Great thing about gamepass is the fact that first party games don't ever leave the library.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Great price. I'm still going with the Series X though, hopefully this means it will come in under my £500 budget for it.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
They're expecting to rake it in on the Xbox All Access subscriptions are they?

Sony won't be able to match that for the PS5 digital edition.

Oct 25, 2017
Taking a quick look, it's cheaper than most new PS4 bundles, and certainly PS4 pro. Pretty much kills the old gen in my view, especially if there's a gamepass trial as standard.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like how they still won't confirm the price of the Series X

lol

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Euros getting shafted once again

tenor.gif

Seriously though, ludicrous price that. Pushing into 'get one for the nieces and nephews' territory, their first console.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
1080p doesn't look good on any of my displays, so not for me. But I'm sure it will be attractive for a lot of people who haven't upgraded yet.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
£249 is insane! I was sure we would get shafted here in the UK. This thing just moved up the list as a second machine for my daughters room

Roll on Series X price reveal!

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i'm honestly interested at that price despite not being so beforehand. could be a solid secondary console to have on another tv.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Being able to get into next gen at this kind of price point right from the off is unprecedented right? We'll see down the line how game comparisons look but if it truly is the full fat experience just at 1080p, that works for a lot of people. And, as much as the cloud computing hype has been wheezing for the last decade, there's still the potential of xCloud changing the paradigm.

Plus that size is super convenient for moving around!
Just imagine if Stadia had lived up to the hype - it would have been next-gen gaming at 1080p for free, 4k for $10/month. And Chromecast Ultra is even more pocketable!

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic resolution scaling could be used to help games target resolutions higher than 1080p when possible, and this machine will also likely run Xbox One X enhanced titles even better, so you could potentially be looking at 4K resolutions for last generation titles, and 1080p-1440p for current generation games depending on how GPU bound they are.
No it won't. Not enough memory to run BC XBX games. And it's confirmed in the github leak. There is only BC with base XB1.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Guess they wanted to make it official. Interesting to see 249 than 299
GBP price is never $= £
The numerical value is always £50 less than the $ value, up until it's a large number like $1500, at which point it becomes £100 less.
It's basically the $ price with 20% VAT, and then they round it off, so that's the easiest way to do it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I know. The question is who it is popular among. That's data Microsoft doesn't have access to.

It's popular among people who buy video games. Just...i don't know if it makes sense to predict people will jump ship because a certain skew doesn't play their discs...when they don't have physical or digital on the other platform.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
That's VERY competitive for over here. The One S All Digital sold pretty well here when it went on deep sales, and this of course is an order of magnitude a better offering, so interested to see how people take to it over here. With the UK physical market at times being dire as hell, this could really do bits over here depending on where Sony comes in.

Good stuff Xbox UK. £449 for Series X then?

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
£249.99 in the UK makes it an instant purchase as a Game Pass box. Incredible from Microsoft.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cheap enough that i'd definitely consider picking one up for exclusives/game pass somewhere down the line, although I have a 4K tv so it'll be a shame not to utilise that.

I'd probably still target getting a PS5 first but I don't think I'll get one of those until there's a hardware revision in a couple of years.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
MS have been soooo savvy with their marketing for the next gen and I think they've really put the cat amongst the pigeons here. Remembering back to the 1st big Series X reveal DF said they were ultra clear about their SUSTAINED clocks and it turns out they obvs knew Sony were going SmartShift and variable TF. I reckon they knew Sony were going to come out with a 549 or 599 price in the coming days and have dropped this like a bomb. Well played.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The leaked specs Tom Warren confirmed says same CPU and SSD.
He's the one that said the CPU was slower
www.theverge.com

Leaked Microsoft document hints at second next-gen Xbox

Microsoft has still not publicly acknowledged its Lockhart plans
TomWarren said:
The devkit, codenamed Dante, allows game developers to enable a special Lockhart mode that has a profile of the performance that Microsoft wants to hit with this second console. We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance. The Xbox Series X includes 13.5GB of usable RAM, and targets 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The only issue is that Xbox Series S has less game RAM than Xbox One X (7.5GB vs 9GB), because Series S targets native 1080p and One X targets native 4K. But maybe the Xbox BC engineers can make the magic happen again...

No it won't. Not enough memory to run BC XBX games. And it's confirmed in the github leak. There is only BC with base XB1.

Oh my bad, I forgot about the ram. If the Xbox Series S really has 10 GB of memory and 2.5 GB of it is reserved then they've reduced the system reserved memory for the Xbox Series machines by about 500 MB compared to the last generation machines which had 3 GB reserved.
Perhaps another 1.5 GB could be relieved by compressing the system memory, although they may already be doing it.
Alternatively perhaps the software could make use of virtual memory and page to the SSD for background applications.

Being able to run Xbox One X enhanced games would be a great selling point. Otherwise, existing games will have to be patched to take advantage of the Xbox Series S hardware to run Xbox One games at higher resolutions, unless they rely on dynamic resolution scaling.

Last edited: