• Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
All doom and gloom aside, I can totally see MS following a strategy where they do timed first party console exclusives with delayed ports to PS/Switch.
Xbox users would be unaffected (besides fanboys who live and die by having permanent exclusives) because they'd still get first party games day one and via Game Pass and PS and Switch owners could be tapped into at a later date.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
This might seem like the opposite reaction of most, but this kinda makes me wanna grab a spare series x.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Crazy that they think they can let this sit a week unless the news is really the worst case scenario some have been positing here.

All doom and gloom aside, I can totally see MS following a strategy where they do timed first party console exclusives with delayed ports to PS/Switch.
Xbox users would be unaffected (besides fanboys who live and die by having permanent exclusives) because they'd still get first party games day one and via Game Pass and PS and Switch owners could be tapped into at a later date.

This would be okay for the remainder of this generation sure (with almost no new console sales in that time), but that means there basically would be no next gen console.

Jan 29, 2018

That's my bet. I don't see Indiana Jones shipping day 1 on PS5.

4CLUBBEDACE

Jan 25, 2024
Looks like he's got a PS5 and PC anyway and those trade-ins lol dude only had about 5 physical games.

Shame to sell Sekiro for just $9 though.
if he had a pc, why buy an xbox anyways then? even before all this theyre on the pc shops.

and even then idk why you would have an XSX and PS5, most of the "good" games are already multiplat, i wouldnt buy a ps5 just for spidey and wouldnt buy XSX just for halo

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
if he had a pc, why buy an xbox anyways then? even before all this theyre on the pc shops.

and even then idk why you would have an XSX and PS5, most of the "good" games are already multiplat, i wouldnt buy a ps5 just for spidey and wouldnt buy XSX just for halo
Exactly. He was probably thinking about selling it anyway.

I have no hard evidence, but 12 month+ delayed ports don't sell that well on console? I can see it being a week earlier on Xbox maybe.

Moobabe

Nov 7, 2017

This is my expectation as well.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that's how it will start out. But I also believe eventually Game Pass will go away and they will be full 3rd party delivering games day and date on all consoles. I don't really see how it goes in a different direction once you go down this road.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy that they think they can let this sit a week unless the news is really the worst case scenario some have been positing here.

This would be okay for the remainder of this generation sure (with almost no new console sales in that time), but that means there basically would be no next gen console.
Why not? If you don't own a PC and don't want to wait a year for first prty games, then you'd need an XSX2. Not everyone is patient enough and Xbox fans would probably prefer it that way as well.

Nov 19, 2019
Phil: "With everything being said and all the confusion it's important I announce that I plan on announcing something next week." That will calm everyone down!
8c95304b-1ac9-4c6a-9920-1718b6496a25_text.gif

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's still as good of a console as it ever was, and it has gamepass. Maybe if you just prefer stuff like the controller, the interface, quick resume, BC and don't care for PS exclusives.

Maybe, but if I owned a console, I'd want access to everything, including PS exclusives, so I wouldn't see the point. If this comes to be true, I can imagine a day where GP is available on PS consoles, even if its way further out.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Why would you assume that? They could have been planning to reveal this next week for a while now.
Doesn't seem it. There was a rumour this was due for the end of the month from an accurate leaker. This has defo been brought forward and they weren't expecting rampant leaks and furore

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
If you have their Pro membership, and only for in store credit.

I'm not a member and only interested in cash, and their site says that gets you $192.

I am selling mine right after work today before the value drops if the rumors are true next week. I haven't touched it since last Fall, and just never have the desire to play it. I play more Switch, PS5 and PC, so I am just getting the cash while I can.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
In all seriousness, I think Microsoft will just keep the status quo of keeping Bethesda and ABK games multiplatform but still will keep XGS games exclusive. What breaks this though is Sea of Thieves.
Phil would have flat out denied all of this if that were the case. That's was like the approach they were sticking to before all this came out.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is exclusive to XBox for a period of time before releasing on PlayStation. Kind of how Sony does PC releases.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. He was probably thinking about selling it anyway.

I have no hard evidence, but 12 month+ delayed ports don't sell that well on console? I can see it being a week earlier on Xbox maybe.
A week of exclusivity would basically make Xbox consoles meaningless.
Sure, late ports usually don't sell too well, but we rarely have a chance to see how they turn out with first party exclusives.
I think a 6 month exclusivity window would be kind of a sweet spot, but I'm just spitballing without any facts to back up my claims... xD

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Hey if folks want to sell off their Xbox series x consoles because of these changes then I hope I can get one or two spare ones with a disc drive for a good price before this all digital series x nonsense takes over, seems like a win for me to get a back up or two even if I barely use my Xbox right now.

wojciech

Jun 29, 2023
Serious question - why are people quoting Jez Corden here. I'm not up to date with gaming news and I know nothing about so called insiders, but whenever I've seen his "leaks" or "rumours" like the Blizzard survival game getting anounced at the last Blizzcon, he's always wrong.

It seems to me that his entire credibility rides on the fact he owns a website dedicated to Microsoft stuff.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
A week of exclusivity would basically make Xbox consoles meaningless.
Sure, late ports usually don't sell too well, but we rarely have a chance to see how they turn out with first party exclusives.
I think a 6 month exclusivity window would be kind of a sweet spot, but I'm just spitballing without any facts to back up my claims... xD
Probably. But as someone else said, it's difficult to market and build hype for a game for one system when it's coming to two others in 6 months.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Why not? If you don't own a PC and don't want to wait a year for first prty games, then you'd need an XSX2. Not everyone is patient enough and Xbox fans would probably prefer it that way as well.
Because with a Playstation, you get THEIR first party games, which you can't get anywhere else, and then you get the other games a bit later. Theaters dying show people are willing to wait for things, along with games adding content and dlc all the time, a year later to get the "Complete Edition" on the console you already own? I bet more than you think will just wait it out.

Buy one console and be able to play two consoles' worth of first party exclusives is one hell of a marketing point. Also, what MS first party games are that much of a draw these days, that you need them immediately and are willing to settle for a lesser console to play them earlier.

BEST CASE SCENARIO is that that very tiny amount of extreme Microsoft first party lovers who absolutely can't wait buy it as their second console. Not to mention it becomes exceedingly less compelling for third parties to port their games to a dead or dying or niche console, even as that gets easier and easier.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

I mean, that was my strategy for current gen. PC was my primary platform. I skipped PS5 (for now) and kept my Xbox One X as my back compat platform. Although I have GamePass, I would buy first-party Xbox games either physical or digital once they went on sale - primarily digital, for Play Anywhere on PC. I have a small library of "essential" Xbox One titles that I keep, just in case I cancel GP down the road.

I may get me a cheap Xbox Series X if they ever get a firesale, just so I can retain BC on newer hardware for years to come.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but if I owned a console, I'd want access to everything, including PS exclusives, so I wouldn't see the point. If this comes to be true, I can imagine a day where GP is available on PS consoles, even if its way further out.
I don't think another platform holder would allow that, it cannibalizes their game sales.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I know we are being light hearted, fun speculation in here but let's not go overboard to end of days. It's seems unlikely and we just don't know.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
yeh that's where I'm at. first party games day one Gamepass, delayed ports on other machines "on a case by case basis". just an expansion of their current strategy.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
My uncle who works at Microsoft in Silicon Valley says that Microsoft is shifting to competing against Nintendo instead of Sony now and are bundling the Xbox Series S with a portable device to compete against the next Nintendo console and it'll launch with a remake of Goldeneye.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Xbox as a hardware brand might be (semi) done. Microsoft Gaming is the true player now.

I don't think Xbox hardware is done done. Controls are super popular, I can see them putting out a dedicated GamePass box, and I'm sure they will put out a next generation system with specs on par with PS6, just no more disk drive.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Xbox hardware is done done. Controls are super popular, I can see them putting out a dedicated GamePass box, and I'm sure they will put out a next generation system with specs on par with PS6, just no more disk drive.

I wonder if this means Microsoft would actually consider creating a PlayStation-compatible Xbox controller and try and reap some profits there.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, the XBOX IS DONE energy is a bit much. They are not Sega, they will still compete, just in a different way.
All depends on what games are or arent ported and what length of time they'll wait before porting them. If everything gets ported 6 months to a year down the road, Im good waiting, and I doubt I'll ever be getting another Xbox. The Series X stays for BC alongside my original Xbox and 360, but this'll mean I wont need to get a next gen Xbox if I can just get everything elsewhere.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
The biggest question mark for me is Halo and I'll be interested to have that answered, hopefully sooner than later, either via insider or officially.

I think MCC is a given eventually but specifically I want to know about Infinite or if they wait for the next one.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
That was the semi part lol. The controllers and accessories will sell but Xbox HW is already selling horribly with god awful projections. Starting to release their games on other systems is going to kill Xbox HW in many places all over the world.
I don't see Xbox at all in EU, aside being ultra niche system.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure how I missed this news yesterday, but the idea that having an Xbox is no longer appealing is bewildering to me. I was so dissatisfied with having PS4 as my primary platform last gen that I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which I buy another Sony console.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I seriously doubt Microsoft will throw everyone whose invested in the Xbox ecosystem under a bus with what's being announced next week. That would more than likely cause more harm to their brand as it did in 2013.

Times are changing, Microsoft want their games on other platforms, and that's a good thing.

Xbox hardware isn't done either. They'll still support the system, but it'll probably be more Gamepass focused going forward. As many have said, Xbox titles will come to Xbox either as exclusives or as timed exclusives for up to a year.

As long as they come to Gamepass, I'll be happy. But then, I have friends who'll love the idea of playing some Xbox exclusives on PlayStation as I would too.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My concern with this is the devaluing of Xbox may be a death knell for mom and pop game stores across NA who have 20 years of Xbox inventory and who struggle enough as is. Yes, digital sales and messy BC are doing a lot to this sector already, but Xbox having a different/no material future in retail could irreparably harm retailers who need to sell legacy/recent goods with any volume.
Serious question, I posted recently how Xbox had a thin sliver of wall space above controllers at a Target in the D.C. area. PS and Nintendo had their own half walls.

Would a mom n pop store carry alot of Xbox stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.