Votes: 73 8.5%
  • Halo 7: The Dark World

Votes: 216 25.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeldz

Jun 8, 2021
Honestly this makes sense. It just does. If folk aren't going to buy a Xbox to play games, but their internal metrics say that they would if it was on PlayStation, then that is millions / billions left on the table.

If this feels like Xbox is losing, you're not thinking the big enough picture.

Edit - for example, I have a Series S, but I would have definitely bought Spiderman 2 last year for it. But I'm not going to drop £400 plus £70 on a console and game, those days are long gone. And the mainstream is this as well.

The strategy will be Day One on Game Pass on Xbox and PC, but later on PlayStation 5 (and Switch 2) for a full price buy.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Yeah Microsoft has to address all this TOMORROW

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Not if MS creates a special tier with just their games and keep out the normal GP tier just like EA and Ubisoft withhold the highest tier of their subs from PlayStation.

yeah the economics don't make much sense; what is the cut that nintendo needs to make gamepass make sense to them?

maybe Microsoft sees the possibility of doing limited game pass on other platforms and full game pass on xbox/pc so people decide to migrate or build xbox libraries despite being on sony/nintendo? don't if it will work or if the other console holders will allow it

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Players are going to need to prepare themselves for the future where game consoles are joining the ranks of televisions and there's virtually very little difference between the two minus exclusive streaming platforms, maybe some hardware/software stuff like whatever the future is for DLSS or Dolby Vision and it's less about the games and more about the ecosystem. A relative flattening.

Is what it is. Nintendo will probably still be Nintendo though thats a real brand that was damn near close to being the "Band-Aid" or "Kleenex" of gaming where the name is synonymous with a product a lot of companies produce.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they figured they can get more money on the long run through gaming software rather than hardware.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Huh?

Whatever date MS was planning to announce their plans they better bring it up and get ahead of the rumors.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I remember being banned for merely suggesting Microsoft could release Bethesda games 6 months to a year after their Xbox release. Boy have things changed.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's actually see what happens in the next few weeks, it's far too early to call Xbox irrelevant as a hardware platform just yet. There's nothing to suggest if this is the entire portfolio and if new games will be day and date on other platforms, if anything this sounds more like Sony's PC strategy where they are launching months after initial console release.

Games are super expensive to make and them being in more platforms makes a lot of sense, especially given how big Microsoft has become in terms of development in later years.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
tenor.gif

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
Either MS is gonna make an announcement later today or tomorrow at this point, this is just wild.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
but if xbox is less attractive cause their first party games are multiplatform, then playstation will be the de facto console, and then where else would playstation put their own games?

putting MS games on playstation is a huge benefit to them cause the playstation install base is much bigger; the benefit of putting PS games on Xbox is much lesser

assuming Nintendo keeps being the less technically advanced console so ports are less guaranteed to happen

I know, and I agree, but we're pretty much entering uncharted waters now.

The cost of AAA gaming is becoming unsustainable and we're already seeing Sony backtracking on their live service games push.

Right now they're ok and still thriving, but if we keep going in the same direction, I see it's possible for Sony to look for a way out of console hardware as well in the future.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
If this is all real then there must've been a big shift. I think it's gonna be exciting to see it, honestly.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Man, the gaming industry is falling apart piece by piece. This is not boding well for the Xbox brand at all, hopefully they won't wait much to clear some things up. And this is coming from something that's really been into their ecosystem for a couple years now.

I genuinely think losing a platform will be catastrophic for the industry - and slam the accelerator down on a bunch of existing negative trends.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
So a console completely build around timed exclusives and a 1st party catalogue subscription.
I don't believe that will strengthen the console platform, it might even weaken the console platform so that the timed exclusives are not worth it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The HW numbers have to be abysmal. Worse than any estimates people make.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Im wondering if the concessions they needed to make for the Activision merger to go through played a part in all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.