• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
EJ5v4Oz.jpg

Actually, you know, this would explain a lot about this particular costume.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Top is fine but still not a fan of the solid black bodysuit. But options are always fine.
b-b-but it was Nintendo censorship! they just used a paint bucket tool!
Eh, they clearly changed Mythra because the Japanese ratings board goes in hard for women in skirts, which is why Pyra is unchanged.

This begs the question why the ratings board would even care about the skirt on a 2D drawing. It's such a simple and quick edit that adding it to XC2 wouldn't be much effort and it's good cross-promotion.

All of this feels like it's adding up to Mythra appearing in Smash as a 3D character, likely with Rex and Pyra as DLC. It doesn't really make sense to be doing all of this otherwise. Probably even using the same model. The model's done already since it was a quick edit and they're releasing it now for XC2 since the DLC promotion is done for that game and it doesn't make sense to hold it for later. Use it as a tease instead.

It's not cheesy, you're making a tenuous connection for characters who are literally designed by different people. You can't tell me this:

kisspng-xenoblade-chronicles-2-wii-u-tetsuya-naito-5ac2e5df790835.2470013415227222714958.jpg

Contrasted nicely with this:

468px-Mythra_Full.jpg

The duality was barely present in the first place. If anything, her design clashed hard with Malos's considering how her original outfit was peak pandering whereas his wasn't.

Black looks great on her. Black is a natural complement to white. Black accentuates the legs. Mythra is literally a Black & White character (well, at the beginning anyway)

While they are designed differently, the color theming comes across clear. Malos is much more generic-looking than Mythra and doesn't stand out much. He hardly looks like the main villain that he is. Jin has a much better design, but I think making Malos look less special was intended so you would think Jin was the main villain. Malos should have gotten a second form later in the game.

Mythra's original design has black highlights, but this new outfit takes her from 1% black to 50% black. Her legs and back are solid black with no detail or highlights. It really throws off her color balance. While closing the boob window is an improvement, the skin-tight black body suit she's wearing doesn't really work. It throws off her color balance and doesn't make her less sexualized.

I disagree. Honestly I think Mythra's design is fine, minus the panties being visible through her dress.

Pyra could use more suit to cover her skin though.

Where did this idea come from all of a sudden? Game's been out a year and suddenly a wave of people come out thinking Mythra is wearing a transparent dress with panties.

Her outfit is armor made of thick opaque strips. The crotch is attached.
maSyZmw.jpg

The thing you're interpreting as panties is just the shading on the armor to define her raised leg.
3OB4uvf.jpg

At the original contrast the lighting is very subtle and the artist likely didn't think it'd be interpreted that way. When you bump the contrast even more you see the shape isn't consistent at all.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While they are designed differently, the color theming comes across clear. Malos is much more generic-looking than Mythra and doesn't stand out much. He hardly looks like the main villain that he is. Jin has a much better design, but I think making Malos look less special was intended so you would think Jin was the main villain. Malos should have gotten a second form later in the game.

It's a basic color contrast on designs that are very dissimilar from each other, so ultimately not that impressive. You're right in that a new design definitely would have sold their relationship better, though Malos would have to strip down a ton to make it work (lol).

Mythra's original design has black highlights, but this new outfit takes her from 1% black to 50% black. Her legs and back are solid black with no detail or highlights. It really throws off her color balance. While closing the boob window is an improvement, the skin-tight black body suit she's wearing doesn't really work. It throws off her color balance and doesn't make her less sexualized.

Color balance is overrated when it comes with showing a ton of skin and boobage. Also saying she doesn't look less sexualized is definitely a hard sell. Closing the boob window is a big improvement, pretty much no matter how you slice it, and tights are more preferable to short skirts with bare skin.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You might buy the DLC for leggings alteration but not for the actual prequel story?
Not just legging, but also the boob window. But yeah, it might be the final push I needed. Not having to deal with the tittilation design would be great.

The main reason why I'm still holding out is that I don't feel like playing it because I already know what will happen in the story.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Not just legging, but also the boob window. But yeah, it might be the final push I needed. Not having to deal with the tittilation design would be great.

The main reason why I'm still holding out is that I don't feel like playing it because I already know what will happen in the story.

I will say that the story ended up surprising me in a few ways. It adds some different layers to the events and characters of the main game. Aspects of the ending are probably what you expect, but it's also not completely what I imagined based on playing the main game. All of that said, yes, ultimately, the expansion's ending is given away by the main game.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's a basic color contrast on designs that are very dissimilar from each other, so ultimately not that impressive. You're right in that a new design definitely would have sold their relationship better, though Malos would have to strip down a ton to make it work (lol).

Color balance is overrated when it comes with showing a ton of skin and boobage. Also saying she doesn't look less sexualized is definitely a hard sell. Closing the boob window is a big improvement, pretty much no matter how you slice it, and tights are more preferable to short skirts with bare skin.
Nah, Malos needs more flourishes. They couldn't strip him down since they made him pale-skinned and that would contrast with him being darkness, whereas they could get away with it with Mythra. Though maybe they could have done something like they did with Jin and have his chest be torn open with a scar he got from Mythra. It'd kinda be like the scar of light Ganondof has in TP. Their armor also contrasts their roles as a dark god of destruction and a light goddess of creation. Although Mythra can be as destructive, she doesn't want to be.

Obviously closing the boob window makes her less sexualized, but I was talking specifically about the bodysuit. That's fetishy as hell. It's a change that makes her look worse without any gain.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For someone starting the game, how easy is it to unlock this costume and the other DLC costumes?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

You may know, but you're never ready to actually see it with your own eyes. That ending man.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Malos needs more flourishes. They couldn't strip him down since they made him pale-skinned and that would contrast with him being darkness, whereas they could get away with it with Mythra. Though maybe they could have done something like they did with Jin and have his chest be torn open with a scar he got from Mythra. It'd kinda be like the scar of light Ganondof has in TP. Their armor also contrasts their roles as a dark god of destruction and a light goddess of creation. Although Mythra can be as destructive, she doesn't want to be.

The stripping down comment was more poking fun at the male-female character design dichotomy. To be clear, I wouldn't actually want it, and I ultimately agree with you.

Obviously closing the boob window makes her less sexualized, but I was talking specifically about the bodysuit. That's fetishy as hell. It's a change that makes her look worse without any gain.

I can't say I agree. Bodysuits are fetishy when they're the focal point of the design, but that's clearly not the case here. I'm also not a fan of the overabundance of female characters with skirts in RPGs, so while her bodysuit (or tights) aren't quite pants tier, they're pretty much the next best thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the Smash design, but's not like i would ever use it playing Xenoblade anyway. Hoping this is a hint about her and Rex getting into Smash!

S_Dev

Oct 26, 2017
Well, now I don't have to be so embarrassed playing this around the significant other. Now all they have to do is add overworld subtitles to the JP VO.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
good. now, along the "Disguised Pyra" costume, both can have a more normal look in-game.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I thought we'd get some kind of update for the anniversary, but I wasn't expecting this one. It's really weird. It's seeming ever more likely to me that Rex/Pyra/Mythra are going to be in Smash somehow. They're making an awful big fuss over a 2D artwork edit.

But I'm glad they went with the sheer black tights that match you-know-who. I don't know how I feel about it covering her back, but it looks like I hoped it would so I'm happy.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
Glad it's optional so I never have to wear it. It looks so very bad in my eyes. Mythra and Pyrrha are perfect as is.

Jun 21, 2018
I love how they continue to add to this massive games, even little things like alternative costume are always appreciated. From the release until now, this is support done well.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol @ the "throws off the colour balance"

Yes, because her exposed skin really added to the ensemble.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I adore this game and love the character designs - I think Mythra and Pyra looks cool and it fits in the crazy anime over the top aesthetic throughout. That said, I have no problems whatsoever with them adding these optional cover-ups. If it gets more people playing this phenomenal JRPG, then that's great in my book.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes, her skin is very pale and leaving it exposed doesn't detract from the light motif. If you're going to cover it, make it white.
pDnCiML.png
That looks awful and doesn't add anything to the light motif. Light in game is never represented as white, it's always appears as golden yellow. Black is the way to go 100%, especially if we consider that a more appropriate light metaphor would be the fact that light cannot be perceived without shadow to differentiate it. Giving her white leggings really ruins her color scheme, much more so than the default.

Last edited:

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got them in both the regular game and Torna! Also just realized in addition to celebrating and promoting Smash Bros., this was also released on the 1 year anniversary of Xenoblade 2! What a nice surprise! Especially after they said they'd be no more updates after Torna.

DtSA3nNU0AAKab0.jpg:large

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That looks awful and doesn't add anything to the light motif. Light in game is never represented as white anyway, it's always appears as golden yellow. Black is the way to go 100%, especially if we consider that a more appropriate light metaphor would be the fact that light cannot be perceived without shadow to differentiate it. Giving her white leggings really ruins her color scheme, much more so than the default.
Malos is that contrast. He's mostly black and she's mostly white.

7FkXPXx.jpg

Pneuma adds a lot more black to her design, but it's spread out and mixed well with white.
Having Mythra's entire legs and back be solid black is too much uninterrupted black.

She's a goddess of light like Palutena.
vqNBK2Q.jpg

S9E0CTU.png

Mythra's portrayal in Cole's play:
piyiqn8.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
This is awesome. I had no problem with the original design, but more options are always good.

That said, the core crystal 'mistake' in the Torna version (likely the same one used in the base game) will annoy me.

But more importantly, another 25% crit rate - fucking hell, that's the big takeaway here. lol

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Cool, I was meaning to go back to Xenoblade this weekend.
I saw the previous thread but didn't click it and I haven't followed the controversy at all. It looks pretty good to me. Some of the Blade designs are literally my only complaint with this game. I don't mind them being sexy but some of the costumes are just absurd. Although I'd say that Pyra needs a redesign a lot more than Mythra did.