• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks you two above^^ :)

Yeah I've heard of those games though obviously haven't played them. Interesting that they were heavily involved.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
B-team? Pre-order canceled

wait it already shipped nvm. guess i'll keep it.

Oct 25, 2017
Well makes sense for the team to be smaller when the engine is done. However this also implies a good part of the rest of monolith soft have been working on the next title for a year and a half now, likely on the same engine, which means we could get their next title reveal within a year
Hummm? No? The so called "A" team were helping with the development of Breath of the Wild for the last 2 years(after XCX release). Whatever is the medieval game, It appears to be in early development.

GrooveAddict

Nov 8, 2017
How is this made by the b-team? Yeah there is less staff than for example X but Takahasi is the director for this one.
Is not like Dark Souls 2 where Miyazaki wasn't involved.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How is this made by the b-team? Yeah there is less staff than for example X but Takahasi is the director for this one.
Is not like Dark Souls 2 where Miyazaki wasn't involved.
Xenoblade is his project so I doubt he wouldn't be involved. Basically the A team was working on Zelda while the B team was making XB2, and iirc they were already making this game before XBX was even released.
I think Takahashi will be less involved in their new action IP.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What was Tri-Ace involved in? Combat?

I tried looking on the list but couldn't see any names I'd recognize from tri-Ace.

Is there a more direct reference?

Just one of the several subcontractors working on map graphics

tnS73xD.png

Oct 25, 2017
As other people have pointed out, a smaller team is not equivalent to a "B team".

Also, even though it's a decent game, you can definitely tell its their B team. It doesn't have near the ambition the previous games did, and you can tell they tried playing it a bit safer than trying to do too much with it.

For a first title for many of them, it's definitely impressive. It's definitely a decent stepping stone to making an amazing game.

When it comes to ambition I can't see how Xenoblade 2 is lacking in comparison to previous Xenoblade games. It is overstuffed with systems and content just as the previous games were.

okita

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a B team thing , but Nintendo knows where lie it's priorities and Monolith had to develop XC2 understaffed and outsource stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
This also makes me wonder if this is something that MS is going to keep doing in the future. XC2 is bound to become the best selling entry in the series based on what we already know (and well-deserved) so sequels are guaranteed.

I'm really interested to see if B team is going to continue with the series or if they're going to do something completely new (Yes, from now on I will call them "B team" and they're far better in my book than A team now).

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade 2 Game Design Team
uHpWiE1.png

Xenoblade X Game Design Team ( Red means not involvement with Xenoblade 2, green means involvement with BOTW)
i94Xzn4.png

WY75LLY.png

7S9GgOG.png

oxzhptT.png

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait, are you guys saying Monolith Soft have become a two team studio now?

There are Monolithsoft Tokyo and Monolithsoft Kyoto. You mean if Tokyo can make 2 games now at one time? Probably. Nintendo said that every of their production units can make 2 games at on time if i remeber it correctly. If Monolithsoft Tokyo is seen as such a production unit...

Personally i don't believe the new medieval game is from Takahashi or the Xenoblade 2 people.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
Weren't Monolith Soft also involved in the development of Splatoon 2 or am I thinking of something else?

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well makes sense for the team to be smaller when the engine is done. However this also implies a good part of the rest of monolith soft have been working on the next title for a year and a half now, likely on the same engine, which means we could get their next title reveal within a year

The staff was bigger than the staff working on X when i read the op correctly. Only fewer monolithsoft employees, but more people working on the game than before.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, two development teams (Not including Kyoto since they're only a support studio)? If that's the case, then that's really exciting to see Nintendo's first party output growing! More big games and quicker from one of their ambitious studios is fantastic to hear (if this is true?)

The real question is, is Takahashi directing the medieval project? I mean he directed X2 which began almost a year before XBX completed. So maybe he's doing the same thing here? Or could it be someone new?

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, two development teams (Not including Kyoto since they're only a support studio)? If that's the case, then that's really exciting to see Nintendo's first party output growing! More big games and quicker from one of their ambitious studios is fantastic to hear (if this is true?)

The real question is, is Takahashi directing the medieval project? I mean he directed X2 which began almost a year before XBX completed. So maybe he's doing the same thing here? Or could it be someone new?

We don't know. I would love to know. Takahshi didn't sound like he worked on a non Xenoblade project in his last interviews, talking about the next numbered Xenoblade and listenig to fans what they want .

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Without knowing anything about how much time each staff person worked on game or what the budgets were like or schedule (or anything really), I don't know how you can label anyone "a" or "b."

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i don't believe the new medieval game is from Takahashi or the Xenoblade 2 people.

I kind of agree. I do think some prior Xenoblade people will work on it regardless and Takahashi will be producer but won't be as involved with story like the previous Xeno games.

I see the medieval action game as being something Nintendo wants to get into. Possibly it's own take on Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma or even a take on the Monster Hunter genre.

They probably saw Monolith Soft as the best to attempt this and are hiring designers for the game from outside and building a new team for it.

Monolith Soft have made games before with more limited Takahashi input like Baten Kaitos.

Then again there's Takahashi's comments from E3:

"The way I see it," says Takahashi, "I feel as though Xenoblade 1 and 2 are connected and linked in the sense that they're linear and story-driven games, whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X was more focused on open world and exploration, and maybe an online aspect. I feel like I'd like to continue to create games separating those two aspects out."

http://ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/e3-2017-xenoblade-chronicles-2-is-more-than-a-simple-sequel

Is the open-world aspect game he mentions related to the Medieval game? I think it's more likely related to an X sequel. Alternating between X and the numbered series allows for Xenoblade to games to be released relatively quickly but not get fatigued by having them contain different elements.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The staff was bigger than the staff working on X when i read the op correctly. Only fewer monolithsoft employees, but more people working on the game than before.
Yep, but a lot of them were outside contractors as well, not the main staff. And like we've all been saying, the main studio is big enough for 2 projects(and have been expanding further) while the remote studio is the support one. Like I said I think we may see Monolith's next project this year, who knows how long it's really been gestating.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Its bigger, for example, Xenoblade X had 10 effect designers from Monolith and 3 from a special effects company called Brushup, Xenoblade 2 have just 3 effect designers from monolith but 18 from Brushup

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, Shingo Kawabara, the producer of Xenoblade and X, directed Soma Bringer who is Action Rpg, he hasnt involved on Xenoblade 2 or BOTW, probably he is directing the Medieval Acting RPG announced some months ago

Bob The Skull

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This idea of an A and a B team doesn't really work with how MonolithSoft manages game production. In short, they have three groups: planning, programming, and graphics. For a given project they source the people needed from each group and pairs that up with significant outsourcing of asset production.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that Monolith Soft is very well managed. It's amazing how they were able to put out such a massive game only two and a half years after the last one, while assisting on other Nintendo games and still seemingly having the bandwidth to be working on another large game of their own at the same time.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade is his project so I doubt he wouldn't be involved. Basically the A team was working on Zelda while the B team was making XB2, and iirc they were already making this game before XBX was even released.
I think Takahashi will be less involved in their new action IP.

Koh Kojima was assitant director on Xenoblade, director on Xenoblade X and is once again the director of Xenoblade 2.

People need to stop using the B team term, it's neither funny nor accurate (it was already dumb when it was used for Dark Souls 2 and now it's even less appropiate).

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Monolith are amazing. I thought they had a hard enough time making this with the full team, yet, apparently, that was cut significantly? Japanese devs are way better than Western when it comes to getting the most of their resources. At least, it feels that way. Platinum, Nintendo, Monolith, etc...seem to be making huge games at relatively low costs.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Man, back in 1998 when I played OoT and Xenogears I wouldn't have expected so many of them to work on the Zelda that'd be the next big leap forward.

I also wouldn't expect Xeno to be kicking around as a pseudo series of series and they'd be off on Zelda rather than Xeno.

EDIT: Hell, this would have seemed crazy to me coming hot off of Xenosaga 3 anyway.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monolith are amazing. I thought they had a hard enough time making this with the full team, yet, apparently, that was cut significantly? Japanese devs are way better than Western when it comes to getting the most of their resources. At least, it feels that way. Platinum, Nintendo, Monolith, etc...seem to be making huge games at relatively low costs.
It helps when they're paid significantly less

Wait, Shingo Kawabara, the producer of Xenoblade and X, directed Soma Bringer who is Action Rpg, he hasnt involved on Xenoblade 2 or BOTW, probably he is directing the Medieval Acting RPG announced some months ago
Given the Medieval game is a pretty radical shift in genre, I don't think Koh Kojima will be directing. Having someone with action RPG experience would help the game greatly. Whether or not Takahashi is executive director And writer is another question. I hope not, because I'd like to see the story be something much different

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its bigger, for example, Xenoblade X had 10 effect designers from Monolith and 3 from a special effects company called Brushup, Xenoblade 2 have just 3 effect designers from monolith but 18 from Brushup

Thanks, has anyone pictures of the full credits list? And what was Honnes part in it? I guess he did some landscapes and titan designs, they gave me a honne vibe from the start (the whale like mini titans fe and the cloudsea)

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
WHAT? Made by a reduced staff?? Wow...

So chances are they have another game in the works or we could see their next game sooner than we expect? Or is that a leap?

Either way, damn impressive.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT? Made by a reduced staff?? Wow...

So chances are they have another game in the works or we could see their next game sooner than we expect? Or is that a leap?

Either way, damn impressive.

Like MetalLord said there worked more people on Xenoblade 2 in general, the outsourcing was enorm. If they outsorce the same amount for the next projects and have their normal stuff back from BotW they probably could do 2 projects at the same time in the future. I still pray that Honne is allowed to make a new game too.