Oct 25, 2017
So should I believe countless previews or screenshots in this thread? Plus I think the screenshots look fine.

I guess we will just ignore the previews of people that have actually PLAYED the game and go with your hyperbole instead. :)
Don't be the guy that gets upset at other people's completely reasonable technical concerns.

And that's coming from someone who played the original on an 11 inch CTR.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for an improvement from XC2, but I guess that was to much to ask for. Either way my Switch is ready for this Friday.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one to really care for resolution, but what was the numbers for Fire Emblem three houses, and how does this compare?

three houses was one of the only switch games that made me think "wow that looks rough" at times. Loved the game, but still.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
What is even the point of remastering a game like this?
Seriously? That's your take?

So more people (myself included) can actually try the game for the first time? Considering the success of XC2 of course it makes sense to do that.

You realise that 90% of buyers don't give a fuck about how it looks, it'll look "cartooney" to them anyway, it's so shallow to say that considering this game supposedly has an excellent story (definitely an amazing soundtrack) with great characters.

To be clear, i'm not happy either, pretty annoyed but it is what it is; we can't change it now and i'm still excited to play the game.

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Oh yes I agree with you there of course. I obviously don't agree with hyperbolic crap shitting on this. But I do think it's understandable that some people might be worried about it.

Its definitely understandable. Hell, even I have my own reservations! Lol

But I honestly thought Torna and XBC2 both looked great and I was happy with their performance. Aside from the performance issues at release, I didn't even notice the complaints about handheld mode until after I beat it and I ran it on handheld 100% of the time lol.

I have faith that all the previews I've watched so far aren't bsing me cause I love this damn game!

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Yeah, I'm probably out. I'm not normally a stickler for resolutions, but XBC2 was a blurry mess to a point where it genuinely did detract from the experience, and this is even worse.

This engine needs to go in the bin

uh I think if the game looked worse than Xenoblade 2 you would be hearing about it in like every preview. But so far someone has only managed to link 1 preview where the author says handheld mode looks bad.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I didn't really follow the previews of this game or Xenoblade 2 previews/reviews specifically.... but Previews (and even reviews to certain extent) don't usually go in deep in these kind of stuff from what I have seen. Did previews and reviews of Xenoblade 2 mention how horrible the game looked on handheld mode? (legit question because didn't see the previews/reviews for XB2) because I consider Xenoblade 2 handheld mode to be borderline unplayable (I was fine with docked mode for the most part)

I think it's understandable to be a bit worried about this for some people since their previous game (XB2 and Torna) had issues with how the game performed, especially handheld mode.

it obviously depends on what you consider horrible (but XC2 reviews actually stated about the portable mode image quality, yes, and most importantly many previews compared the portable resolution to Torna, slightly better than XC2, so I'd say that at least it should be slightly better than XC2 too)

in any case, I understand preferences, but I swear, I can't say THIS looks horrible

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
What is even the point of remastering a game like this?
I think the better question to ask is what's the point in pushing your engine so hard that you have to run the game significantly below native resolutions to get it performant? Why not just spec your game more modestly, it'll still look worlds better than the Wii version, and ultimately a game running at 720p will look miles better than something running ~500p.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Okay granted, maybe Monolith had to use limited budget, and resolution was less a priority. Zelda and Mario are Nintendo's high budget games.

I've read this argument, but if the budget was the problem, why did they aim so high with the new models and upgraded graphics? They could have aimed lower. That's a cost saving measure, no?

It seems that they just overestimated hardware capacity again or they just don't care about resolution.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying this game is barely pushing the system or is just a simple remaster of a Wii game really don't know what they're talking about.

Look at this video from DF:

The game is doing way more than a simple Wii game, probably more than XC2 given the engine improvements.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think its Nintendo's fault. As a new switch(lite) owner smash and BOTW look absolutely gorgeous to me. Even think shield/sword look pretty dope lol.

The devs just had different priorities and maybe time/budget constraints?
FYI - Monolithsoft (devs of this game) are a Nintendo studio.

Deleted member 45468

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Yes, Monolith Soft doesn't know what they're doing and this looks barely any different than the Wii version.
Seeing how XC2 is the only game in my life that made me nauseous while playing it handheld mode, shame on me for thinking a Wii port would turn out better. Be snarky all you want bud, but I cancelled my preorder.
Can't wait to be told to play these games on Dolphin over Nintendo's hardware once again.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Its not a straight port. Its probably a new game built from the ground up.
Even so, if they built it from the ground up they should know what the limitations of the hardware are and not push it to such low resolutions. I'm fairly certain most people would have fathered an up-res port than this.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
uh I think if the game looked worse than Xenoblade 2 you would be hearing about it in like every preview. But so far someone has only managed to link 1 preview where the author says handheld mode looks bad.
The resolution is unquestionably worse here though, and that was one of my biggest problems with XBC2. I couldn't care less if they've prettied the assets and lighting if it's only to be undermined by such a blurry IQ.

Nov 4, 2017
People defending this... people defending the defense of this... people defending the defense of defending this. Any more levels of diffenception and we will legit end up in the subconscious of somebody's uncle at Nintendo @_@

If the dips to the lower end of the spectrum are infrequent, I'm sure it will be fine. Sub-720p docked is a bit of a worry, but occasional dips are preferable to the framerate tanking IMO. Lower resolutions do contribute to me getting motion sickness in some games (but not as much as frame rate issues), so it's something I would need to be wary of.

thematic

Fallen Guardian
Oct 31, 2017
maybe this is why they don't remaster Xenoblade X. maybe they'll need to drop it from WiiU 720p to Switch 540p.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I've read this argument, but if the budget was the problem, why did they aim so high with the new models and upgraded graphics? They could have scaled back.

It seems that they just overestimated hardware capacity again or they just don't care about resolution.
Good question actually. I would like to know too. Monolith is certainly an interesting studio.

Monolithsoft are one of Nintendo's biggest studios. Budget isn't the issue here.
What is the issue if it's not budget or time constraints? The engine ?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely understandable. Hell, even I have my own reservations! Lol

But I honestly thought Torna and XBC2 both looked great and I was happy with their performance. Aside from the performance issues at release, I didn't even notice the complaints about handheld mode until after I beat it and I ran it on handheld 100% of the time lol.

I have faith that all the previews I've watched so far aren't bsing me cause I love this damn game!
Yeah I mean when it comes to these stuff, it differs between people. I personally found XB2 and Torna unplayable on handheld, and was the only Switch game I played fully on docked mode. I was fine with docked mode and I think the game looks beautiful overall in terms of artstyle.
I personally do wish that they would sacrifice little bit of details in stuff like foliage or asset qualities to bump up the resolution a bit more on handheld.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
How are some of you in this thread defending this? I'm a HUGE Xenoblade fan, and this news is extremely disappointing to me. It's absolutely valid to criticize these absurdly low resolutions (that will destroy image quality on most people's 4K TV's) in a modern remaster of a WII GAME.

A WII GAME.

Stop defending this. People have a right to be upset. I'm still getting the game because I love it so much, but my expectations now are significantly lowered. What a damn shame.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I honestly don't think its Nintendo's fault. As a new switch(lite) owner smash and BOTW look absolutely gorgeous to me. Even think shield/sword look pretty dope lol.

The devs just had different priorities and maybe time/budget constraints?

I think it's a cash grab to put some padding on the line up this year because there's no way they ported this game over 3 systems and it's still doing SD while the price tag goes from $50 to $60.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If this is true (and only if)...

I know that the "lazy devs" rhetoric is ban-worthy so I won't go that far. However, 2 years after XC2, and not a single optimization to the engine besides a less aggressive sharpening pass really showcases that Nintendo devs from first and second party studios for the most part simply don't give a single fuck to image quality. Must be something backed up by social research or something, it's insane.

This is also the sole reason why I'm excited for Switch emulators (like Yuzu). So many games with beautiful art direction being destroyed by low resolutions and aliasing, a damn shame.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand people (me included) being upset about the IQ news

I also understand people who don't care about it or don't care about technical aspects of a game overall in general

But what I don't understand are the people who genuinely get so emotionally cut up when people are bothered by the news. If you don't care about the IQ, why do you get so upset when others do?
I think it's because some Xenoblade fans are so eager to see this series be successful they find any sort of negativity to be disheartening.

With that said, goddamn the defensiveness is annoying. "Who cares about graphics?" Is this not an HD system?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The rush to defend things like this and shut down any criticism is beyond toxic.
What is there to defend ? Switch isn't the most powerful hardware out there and people who expected much better resolution for a open world JRPG than 540p portable/720p docked don't play their Switch enough is guess.

900p on the big screen would have been solid but it's not like they didn't try, it's just that they went for graphical enhancements instead of just offering higher resolutions. Gotta make some decisions with the available bandwidth.

I think it's because some Xenoblade fans are so eager to see this series be successful they find any sort of negativity to be disheartening.

With that said, goddamn the defensiveness is annoying.
I really doubt resolution new of that kond is gonna have big impact of the games commercial performance....not that the people complaining the most in these kind of threads will be massive XB fans.

Game was a late Wii game, was a n3DS exclusive and DE looks good from what we have seen through preview footage - the numbers of fans that would suddenly be not on board again because of such a news is very low. Era isn't representative for the Switch market.

We had threads here that called Overwatch on Switch "unplayable" when it's one of the best ports on the system.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
That's pretty tough. I am all-in-favor of releasing games on other systems so the breadth of players expands but this being the 'definitive' version of the game is unfortunate.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the thread where people come to shit on Nintendo.

I love the drive-by shitposting: "where are the pixels Nintendo! Give me the pixels, I need them!".

I'm not driving by, nor am I shitting in Nintendo. More demanding games run at higher resolutions on switch. Hell this can apparently drop below the Wii original in resolution. How in the fuck did they manage that?

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I'm so sorry. Do I have your permission now?
KowvyKH.jpg

So you've shown me proof given me no reason to doubt you.

Kind of how all the previews that said the game is "beautiful" and runs fine. The previews you conveniently ignore. :)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely unfortunate, but I'll still be picking it up day one and testing it out myself. I tend to be incredibly forgiving of technical issues due to the fact that I can take a huge game anywhere on the go at a relatively decent visual setting.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
God, we need a DF analysis so bad.

(Although I'm pretty sure the new people complaining here won't appear there if it turns out to be positive).

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
it obviously depends on what you consider horrible (but XC2 reviews actually stated about the portable mode image quality, yes, and most importantly many previews compared the portable resolution to Torna, slightly better than XC2, so I'd say that at least it should be slightly better than XC2 too)

in any case, I understand preferences, but I swear, I can't say THIS looks horrible

this is off screen but I agree it looks good

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
I understand that some have criticism surrounding this, but to undermine the remaster and call it a bad one because of this is just stupid.

The game looked bad on the wii and it's still regarded as one of the best JRPG's ever. They changed the engine, added new content and a lot of QOL changes. Compare to other remasters and you'll see that half of them don't bother to do any of that, besides updating the graphics.

Metakilt

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
While it sucks we should just wait for Digital Foundry. There's a video on youtube where one of the most taxing areas of the game ran at locked 30 fps so we might not even reach those abysmal numbers.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
BotW and Odyssey are AAA games. Xenoblade is AA. Budget difference is there.

Come on now. A first party game as part of a major franchise made by a 250 people strong studio over the last 2 years is as AAA as it gets.

Good question actually. I would like to know too. Monolith is certainly an interesting studio.

What is the issue if it's not budget or time constraints? The engine ?

That seems like the likely culprit as it exhibits the same issues as XB2.