• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Is the Switch just that weaksauce or are the devs incompetent when it comes to optimization? Even 720p is embarrassing.

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
It looks similar to Torna
So slightly better than xc2 base game
Everyone can deduce how it will look from these comparisons

To me, Torna was a good looming game, especially for its art direction, with a pretty huge world to explore
This will have an even more open world, still looking similar to Torna, so.. I eill probably enjoy it

Torna and XC2 were great looking games. XC2 definitely had some performance issues at parts that were mostly patched out but was fine other than that.

I cant wait to play it!

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Because instead of obsessing over numbers read previews perhaps? I know I have and almost every preview said the game looks great and runs fine.

Game looks beautiful to me and I'll be enjoying every second of it while you guys are in here complaining about non-existant problems.
Anything's beautiful if you try hard enough

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they couldn't design this remaster to work around the relative power of the Switch.
It honestly seems like they just pushed as much as possible then knocked the resolution down to make it run.
That seems like a terrible way to do it.

It's not like they were designing with multiple systems in mind.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Torna and XC2 were great looking games. XC2 definitely had some performance issues at parts that were mostly patched out but was fine other than that.

I cant wait to play it!

I would just like to point out that wasn't my opinion only, but the impression shared by most (all?) of the previews
Similar to Torna, slightly better looking
Probably due to some simpler geometry (even if the game world is way larger than Torna one) and better managed filter

miserable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imagine defending this. imagine living that life.

f7d.gif

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really technical, but how is this game more demanding than The Witcher 3?
Being more or less demanding doesn't really matter. This game, like Xenoblade 2 on the whole, has had a pretty small team working on it and improving the performance wasn't a priority given the fact that their best selling game ever ran like this.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 3 will likely be the same, as I'm guessing they are reusing the Xenoblade 2 engine to finish it asap.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Because instead of obsessing over numbers read previews perhaps? I know I have and almost every preview said the game looks great and runs fine.

Game looks beautiful to me and I'll be enjoying every second of it while you guys are in here complaining about non-existant problems.
Or maybe it's ok to not like things? I thought we were allowed to discuss games on this discussion board but i guess era is still handwaving complaints about nintendo games.

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Well then by that logic every game can come out at 180p and who are we to complain?
Your logic is nonsense. The very screenshots posted in this thread show it doesn't look great at all.

So should I believe countless previews or screenshots in this thread? Plus I think the screenshots look fine.

I guess we will just ignore the previews of people that have actually PLAYED the game and go with your hyperbole instead. :)

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Why are people here saying that is going to be like XC2 when it obviously looks better than XC2 in handheld mode?
I don't even know if that's true, just look at these two screenshots of both games running in handheld mode:

CdhmOGu.png

1590351196-1590348113790m.jpg

It's not a 1:1 comparison since there's no way to know the native resolution of either image, but the two images are close enough I think, and I honestly think XC2 looks slightly better there, probably due to its overly-aggressive sharpening filter, but it still looks cleaner overall.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
mmmm so this is still not going to be pleasant to look at in handheld mode... shame. I'll still try to play it that way. I did give up on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in large part because of the bad res in handheld mode, though... but maybe this being an older game and me having played the original Wii and the 3DS remake at lower resolutions will bolster my tolerance?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well, at least it's better then the 3DS version. I tried playing it on there, but it was way too blurry for me. This is a better handheld option. Still, 720p on my 4k tv won't look the best.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't even know if that's true, just look at these two screenshots of both games running in handheld mode:

CdhmOGu.png

It's not a 1:1 comparison since there's no way to know the native resolution of either image, but close enough I think, and I honestly think XC2 looks slightly better there, probably due to its overly-aggressive sharpening filter, but still.
We just have a few images to compare and almost every preview says it looks better than XC2.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

CdhmOGu.png

It's not a 1:1 comparison since there's no way to know the native resolution of either image, but the two images are close enough I think, and I honestly think XC2 looks slightly better there, probably due to its overly-aggressive sharpening filter, but it still looks cleaner overall.

It really is very similar when you put them side by side like that D:
The combat scenes that were posted looked a bit crisper? I want to believe...

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
when is the leak from? the config file might not be finalized yet. I think we will have to wait for a DF video, that hopefully comes this week.

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Anyone complaining about resolution in a game is beyond toxic.

I wouldn't say toxic but seeing the raw numbers usually gets certain people upset vs if they played the game without being told what resolution it is.

Honestly it's not ideal, but when you actually sit down and play it for most people it should be fine. If you're going to miss out on the game because of this, you are missing out on an amazing game, especially if you've never played Xenoblade before

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So should I believe countless previews or screenshots in this thread? Plus I think the screenshots look fine.

I guess we will just ignore the previews of people that have actually PLAYED the game and go with your hyperbole instead. :)
I mean I didn't really follow the previews of this game or Xenoblade 2 previews/reviews specifically.... but Previews (and even reviews to certain extent) don't usually go in deep in these kind of stuff from what I have seen. Did previews and reviews of Xenoblade 2 mention how horrible the game looked on handheld mode? (legit question because didn't see the previews/reviews for XB2) because I consider Xenoblade 2 handheld mode to be borderline unplayable (I was fine with docked mode for the most part)

I think it's understandable to be a bit worried about this for some people since their previous game (XB2 and Torna) had issues with how the game performed, especially handheld mode.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
We just have a few images to compare and almost every preview says it looks better than XC2.
Are those previews talking specifically about the handheld mode presentation when they say that? Because generally the game does look quite a bit better than XC2, you can see that just in the trailers, but none of that really matters if the resolution is sub-500p most of the time.