Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
FF14 is a great MMO. The way it complements a PS4 controller with its genius use of the cross hotbars and fully customizable UI shows love and care.

The fact you can have one character and do all the classes is genius as well. While the game has a stupid amount of content and a fair bit of the usual "MMO grind" to waste your time, QOL is good in this game.

The sub price is cheaper than other MMOs as well if you're happy with one character on a server, which is absolutely fine given one character can do all the classes.

I'll echo this. I've been subbed since around November on PS4 and have been loving my time with the game. Going through Heavensward right now and it's amazing. Got till 28th of June to get caught up to Shadowbringers.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo this. I've been subbed since around November on PS4 and have been loving my time with the game. Going through Heavensward right now and it's amazing. Got till 28th of June to get caught up to Shadowbringers.

I just finished Heavensward the other day :) A nice step up from the ARR story, which has one of the worst slogs of post main story questing I've played. The bridge between ARR and Heavensward.

Most fans agree it's the lowest part of the main story quest. Teleport to rising stones! lol.

My main character is now 61. Way back at ARR launch I was in the GAF guild very briefly, but I abandoned FF14 after not too long. Started it up again the other month to finally experience the main quests due to them being praised quite often.

I'll probably do Stormblood and get to 70 and maybe take a break again. I don't really have much time for an MMO long-term and that's why I haven't really bothered finding a new guild. Just been using the novice chat to get help/groups for content.

It's a pretty SP friendly MMO if you just want some story and dungeon-lite. DPS queues are horrendous as always, but that goes without saying. The MSQ as you know has a fair amount of story dungeon raids and quests.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Heavensward the other day :) A nice step up from the ARR story, which has one of the worst slogs of post main story questing I've played. The bridge between ARR and Heavensward.

Most fans agree it's the lowest part of the main story quest. Teleport to rising stones! lol.

My main character is now 61. Way back at ARR launch I was in the GAF guild very briefly, but I abandoned FF14 after not too long. Started it up again the other month to finally experience the main quests due to them being praised quite often.

I'll probably do Stormblood and get to 70 and maybe take a break again. I don't really have much time for an MMO long-term and that's why I haven't really bothered finding a new guild. Just been using the novice chat to get help/groups for content.

I'll agree with the patch content between ARR and HW being a slog. I just wanted it done but by the end with the way the story goes I did enjoy it. I was pretty hyped going into Heavensward. I think I'm around 55 on my BLM but I haven't had a chance to get back on since christmas and all these games coming out. I'll probably get back to it post Kingdom Hearts.

I've been playing it mostly solo with some group finder in between for grinding stuff like the horses and Shiva weapons. I tried the whole guild thing but ended up actually making my own with just me so I have access to the chest and other bonuses. There's just so much to like about the game that I'm glad this is my first real dive into an MMO.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Getting kind of sick of Nier stuff being in everything and now a whole alliance raid ark :(. I guess if the fights are cool it's whatever. The 'guest' alliance raid they just had was a complete snoozefest story-wise so not expecting much... at least that was FF XII nostalgia though.

So I have to subscribe to a new mmo for the first time in over 10 years.
Well I've kept my Anarchy Online sub going for 16-17 years now I think I can survive a month of this :)

Hopefully I won't get hooked...

I think you would have to be playing pretty heavily to reach this content in a month to be honest.

Edit: beaten.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I'd really like to play this but why oh why did they have to require you to be max level and clear all story quests? I gave up on FF14 after hitting level 50 because the main story is unbearably awful, like an hour of engaging content spread between hundreds of hours of completely pointless fetch/kill quests. "We must save/kill thingy immediately, the world is in danger, ask X for help!" *ask X for help* "Oh the world is in peril? You must first spend days travelling the world collecting mcguffins to make me some cheese or a bottle of alcohol or whatever before I tell you where thing you need is".

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Ugh, I'd really like to play this but why oh why did they have to require you to be max level and clear all story quests? I gave up on FF14 after hitting level 50 because the main story is unbearably awful, like an hour of engaging content spread between hundreds of hours of completely pointless fetch/kill quests. "We must save/kill thingy immediately, the world is in danger, ask X for help!" *ask X for help* "Oh the world is in peril? You must first spend days travelling the world collecting mcguffins to make me some cheese or a bottle of alcohol or whatever before I tell you where thing you need is".

Yeah getting to 50 is quite a challenge through the banal quests, but isn't there a potion that will autolevel you though? Might do that instead.

Edit: Question to you vets - will I need to have the disc in my PS4 to play if I bought the retail complete edition?

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah getting to 50 is quite a challenge through the banal quests, but isn't there a potion that will autolevel you though? Might do that instead.

Edit: Question to you vets - will I need to have the disc in my PS4 to play if I bought the retail complete edition?
Yeah there's cashshop skip potions.

No, it comes with a psn code. Go to your library and download the game from there to avoid having to use the disc.

Do not insert the disc, doing so will install the game from there and require you to insert it to play the game. You will have to delete the install to be able to download the disc free version if you insert the disc.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

I promise you that the story gets amazing once you reach Ishgard. There's a period between the end of ARR and the beginning of Heavensward where the devs were sort of filling empty space while we waited and it is the most boring part of the entire game. They've discussed doing something to lessen it but they don't really want to devote time to it right now.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with the patch content between ARR and HW being a slog. I just wanted it done but by the end with the way the story goes I did enjoy it. I was pretty hyped going into Heavensward. I think I'm around 55 on my BLM but I haven't had a chance to get back on since christmas and all these games coming out. I'll probably get back to it post Kingdom Hearts.

I've been playing it mostly solo with some group finder in between for grinding stuff like the horses and Shiva weapons. I tried the whole guild thing but ended up actually making my own with just me so I have access to the chest and other bonuses. There's just so much to like about the game that I'm glad this is my first real dive into an MMO.

How does that work? I'm still on Ultros (where the GAF guild was) so I guess I should go and see if there is a small Era guild just for bonuses like more storage.

Yeah I joined a party finder horse/blue mage spell grinding unsynced ex primal. Picked up two horses, but the better thing I got was a bird. White Lanner. I'm not even kidding when I say I joined that limitless blue extreme just to get the quest for it done and a bird dropped on my first run and I got it lol. Party finder group I used to jump in unsynced were "mad" a newbie got it lol.

Not really mad, just laughing as a few of them had grinded it for a few hours. I think the bird drops are lower than the horse drops.

I find the duty finder for groups for level 50/60 extreme content to be lacking. Hardly anyone uses them and then you have to do them level synced. Look for a party under party finder and do it unsynced and you get geared level 70s who make it quite easy.

Or get to level 70 geared and I think you can solo some of them. I just wanted to get some of the quests off my journal for older primal extreme content. Had been sitting there for ages and then the newbie chat told me to use party finder for doing content like that, not duty finder.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah there's cashshop skip potions.

No, it comes with a psn code. Go to your library and download the game from there to avoid having to use the disc.

Do not insert the disc, doing so will install the game from there and require you to insert it to play the game. You will have to delete the install to be able to download the disc free version if you insert the disc.

Thank you!

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
How does that work? I'm still on Ultros (where the GAF guild was) so I guess I should go and see if there is a small Era guild just for bonuses like more storage.

Yeah I joined a party finder horse/blue mage spell grinding unsynced ex primal. Picked up two horses, but the better thing I got was a bird. White Lanner. I'm not even kidding when I say I joined that limitless blue extreme just to get the quest for it done and a bird dropped on my first run and I got it lol. Party finder group I used to jump in unsynced were "mad" a newbie got it lol.

Not really mad, just laughing as a few of them had grinded it for a few hours. I think the bird drops are lower than the horse drops.

I find the duty finder for groups for level 50/60 extreme content to be lacking. Hardly anyone uses them and then you have to do them level synced. Look for a party under party finder and do it unsynced and you get geared level 70s who make it quite easy.

Or get to level 70 geared and I think you can solo some of them. I just wanted to get some of the quests off my journal for older primal extreme content. Had been sitting there for ages and then the newbie chat told me to use party finder for doing content like that, not duty finder.
GAF guild is still around as the ERA guild. We moved the house to shirogane though.

As for extra storage, he's probably talking about the fc chest. If you're the sole person in an fc you can use it as extra personal storage.

Oct 29, 2017
What? What?!? I could never have imagined this. I had to read the title 10 times before I could believe it. This could be something truly incredible

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I bought soulcalibur and now this because of cross promo.

Theycantkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
2P being a thing now is really fucking cool. I love it. Won't play it because GW2 ruined MMO questing and combat for me but happy for everyone who does.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want to try this game but I don't want to pay a subscription.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

It's a necessary charge for the amount of content they deliver every patch cycle. If you want to play it casually, you can always just subscribe when new content hits. As it stands right now, if you buy the game you will have 3 [big] games worth of story to go through so it would be more than worth it right now.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WoW is $14.99 a month, FF14 is $12.99. The entry sub for FF14 is enough.

It's always a question of do you want to pay a sub with an MMO, but every time I've tried a F2P or B2P (buy to play) MMO it's been far more frustrating. Progression is usually over-gated, MTs intrusive and/or involving buying power and so on.

After playing Neverwinter for a while, the way everything in that game works is the biggest pile of trash ever in hindsight. So much better to simply be able to boot into FF14 and play with no pressure or insane grinds/MT costs.

If you even look at the Elder Scrolls fantasia equivalent it's like $20. FF14 is like $6 to re-customize your character/change race. Though there is a decent level of in-game customization for a few thousand gil like haircuts/tattoos and so on.

Plus 30 days is 30 days, cancelling a sub is easy as anything.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Is there an EU guild?

WoW is $14.99 a month, FF14 is $12.99. The entry sub for FF14 is enough.

It's always a question of do you want to pay a sub with an MMO, but every time I've tried a F2P or B2P (buy to play) MMO it's been far more frustrating. Progression is usually over-gated, MTs intrusive and/or involving buying power and so on.

I completely agree with this, I've always preferred to pay a sub to f2p in mmos.
It's the minority opinion though.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an EU guild?

I completely agree with this, I've always preferred to pay a sub to f2p in mmos.
It's the minority opinion though.

Another reason I wasn't really searching for a guild is I would like to move over to the EU servers. For now though I'm not paying for a server transfer which is priced too high IMO.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

Getting all the horses was a hit of a pain in the arse because of the drop rates especially when I don't think the prize for getting them all, Kirin is that cool. Riding about with Shivas boss music playing is pretty awesome though I must admit. The Primal themes are killer.

I did read that the birds are a bit easier to get.

Like Killthee said what I ended up doing is making my own free company. I got people in Limsa to sign it for me as you need 3 signees then away I went with my own solo FC. People were happy to help when I said what I was doing.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
isn't there a preorder bonus for this expansion that gives you an earring that gets you 30% xp boost until lvl 70 that scales with your job level?

edit: found it

that being said i have an unopened copy of stormblood i bought last year. Maybe it's time to open that up and jump back in.

I recall there is cross play between pc and ps4 but do you have to pay for 2 separate subs to switch between the 2? Or do you just have to own the game for both pc and ps4?

in case anyone wanted the CE

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the Shadowbringers trailer. You, the player, really can just change jobs on the fly?

Yeah, you just equip a weapon from the class and it changes you to that class! Then like any decent MMO you can save loadouts for swapping.

You can literally do everything on one character. No need for alts.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you just equip a weapon from the class and it changes you to that class! Then like any decent MMO you can save loadouts for swapping.

You can literally do everything on one character. No need for alts.
So I can punch shit as a Monk, be a bad ass swordman as a Dark Knight, fling magic with style as Red Mage, and fling magic with style and laser beams as Blue Mage? :D

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
isn't there a preorder bonus for this expansion that gives you an earring that gets you 30% xp boost until lvl 70 that scales with your job level?

edit: found it

that being said i have an unopened copy of stormblood i bought last year. Maybe it's time to open that up and jump back in.

I recall there is cross play between pc and ps4 but do you have to pay for 2 separate subs to switch between the 2? Or do you just have to own the game for both pc and ps4?

in case anyone wanted the CE

One sub covers all platforms, but you have to own the base game and expansions for each.
I saw the Shadowbringers trailer. You, the player, really can just change jobs on the fly?
Sort of. You're free to change to any class once you hit lv 10, but you're only able to do so out of combat and out of dungeon. No midboss class switching in game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
One sub covers all platforms, but you have to own the base game and expansions for each.

Sort of. You're free to change to any class once you hit lv 10, but you're only able to do so out of combat and out of dungeon. No midboss class switching in game.

The fucking wind up Fran omfg SE you got me again

I assume this will have a digital version as always?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is pretty amazing and makes me wish I played ffxiv

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

awesome thanks, maybe i will jump back in seeing as Anthem prob wont be my next big long term game :/

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The CE looks really nice but it would suck to have to have it delivered and not able to play at launch night.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to retry the game when they announced samurai and red mage and now Nier is coming to this game... I guess it's finally time to dig back into it.