• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lamine

Nov 28, 2023
An article from IGN

IGN Japan sat down at Stellar Blade's development studio Shift Up in Seoul, South Korea, with Kim and NieR: Automata director Yoko Taro, who flew over from Japan to discuss the game. Kim and Yoko talked about their similarities as developers, and mutual respect could be felt throughout the conversation. They discussed a wide array of matters ranging from the current state of Asian video games to why they wanted to make video games in the first place. While their comments were often frank, they spoke with an easy jocularity and self-deprecating humor that belied a deep mutual respect."

Taro: Stellar Blade is a really amazing game. I'd say that it's much better than NieR:Automata.

Taro: "Shops in RPGs often have a close-up shot of the shopkeeper, which I don't like because I think it feels unnatural. Stellar Blade has a shot like that too, but the shopkeeper was so cute that I didn't mind! Her cuteness felt more important than any design choices."

Kim: "The more we talk about it, the more I feel like Stellar Blade can't compete. I consider myself a visualist, not a storyteller. I've been creating visuals all my life, so I can't quite match Yoko Taro when it comes to storytelling. I try to make up for this with gameplay."

Last edited:

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I wouldn't look into this too much. Even if that turns out to be the case, I honestly just think he was being polite.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I love Yoko Taro as a visionary but he cant make the actual gameplay of a game if his life depended on it - I say this as a fan from OG Nier.

He sees a girl he thinks is hot and he probably likes the game.

...More seriously though, its an interview with the other team, so you'd be crazy to call their game anything less than good.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I love Yoko Taro as a visionary but he cant make the actual game part of a game if his life depended on it - I say this as a fan from OG Nier.

He sees a girl he thinks is hot and he probably likes the game.

Pretty much. Taro is a gross perv and when he's openly saying "the cuteness of the girl is more important than any design choices" it makes it clear where his priorities lie.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I respect Yoko Taro, but if his opinion of why it's better is based on "it has better graphics" and "the characters in Stellar Blade look cool", I can't say I give it much importance.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Taro is a gross perv and when he's openly saying "the cuteness of the girl is more important than any design choices" it makes it clear where his priorities lie.
giphy.gif

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
I love Taro and his works but Automata is not one of his best (in terms of yokotaroness). So he could be right about Stellar Blade.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
"I consider myself a visualist, not a storyteller. I've been creating visuals all my life, so I can't quite match Yoko Taro when it comes to storytelling. I try to make up for this with gameplay."

Always appreciate someone who knows their strengths and can be honest about it but this is a little dispiriting. I'd hoped the story might be a bit more interesting than what we've seen so far, that there might be some unique twists to come. But makes it seem like that's not the case. Not a deal breaker but it'll manage my expectations

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yoko Taro talks shit about himself and his own work all the time. I don't think him saying this is indicative to the quality of Stellar Blade or Nier Automata one way or the other.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
"Shops in RPGs often have a close-up shot of the shopkeeper, which I don't like because I think it feels unnatural. Stellar Blade has a shot like that too, but the shopkeeper was so cute that I didn't mind! Her cuteness felt more important than any design choices."

I'm uncomfortable.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Condolences to those just now finding out that Taro is just the mangaka from the ProZD "I just wanted to see titties" skit.

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
Same guy who said his character designs are the way they are because "I like boobs" Yeah, his comment tracks.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yoko Taro only ever insults his own work and talent. It's one of his many gimmicks. Reading too deep into this would be a mistake, Yoko Taro would likely say ANY game is better than his. He always presents himself as shallow and his success as a mistake. Not that this is going to stop people from being obnoxious in this thread, of course.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe a single opinion Taro gives good or bad. The man is never not doing a bit.

SilentEagle

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Well I believe Stellar Blade is really good game but isn't NieR Automata one of the best games ever made?

Edit: Never played NieR Automata but I heard the praise a lot.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yoko Taro only ever insults his own work and talent. It's one of his many gimmicks. Reading too deep into this would be a mistake, Yoko Taro would likely say ANY game is better than his. He always presents himself as shallow and his success as a mistake. Not that this is going to stop people from being obnoxious in this thread, of course.
đź’Ż

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
"Shops in RPGs often have a close-up shot of the shopkeeper, which I don't like because I think it feels unnatural. Stellar Blade has a shot like that too, but the shopkeeper was so cute that I didn't mind! Her cuteness felt more important than any design choices."

I'm uncomfortable.
Yeah that's beyond creepy.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly fuck IGN Japan for doing this interview and Eurogamer for pushing it out. You know exactly why they're doing this interview. They're doing this interview because the headline "hey the knockoff Nier Automata game may actually be better than Nier itself!" sells itself and Yoko Taro will very easily give you that between him being self-deprecating and him being horny-on-main.

I would honestly call this bad-faith reporting. They're just trying to pretend Yoko Taro has any bigger insight than "look at the sexy anime tiddies" in order to help sell people on Stellar Blade. Fuck that.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

"Mortal Kombat Advance is in many ways better than Automata."

amara

Nov 23, 2021
It isn't exactly a high bar to have better gameplay but I guess people really like the story

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Look Taro, you can't just give me such an easy opportunity to shitpost on Automata, it's almost too easy, I feel like doing so simply plays into his strange auteur hands, like how I was allowed to leave the message for my Automata's endgame credits support bot as something along the lines of "this game sucked"
I think I'm getting a sick dunk in, somehow though he's got the last laugh!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should probably link to the actual IGN interview instead:
www.ign.com

Stellar Blade X NieR: Automata: Yoko Taro and Hyung-Tae Kim on How Their Blockbusters Inspire One Another - IGN

We talk to Yoko Taro and Hyung-Tae Kim about the ways that Stellar Blade is inspired by NieR: Automata, comparisons between EVE and 2B, and much more.

It's a fairly interesting interview.

Yea I thought this would've been what someone would make a thread about, but I was naive and forgot the easy headline other articles would roll with

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I look forward to finding out next week. Been having a great time with the demo (and the unintended content that can be glitched into).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, no. I wish he kept his pervyness to himself or made it less of a characteristic of his tbh, because that shit makes it harder to enjoy Nier games. Automata is a great game and would've been a great game even if 2B's outfit was less revealing (it isn't that bad actually).